Jump to content

I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

DragonClaws

Physical, Digital, or Both: What Are Your Thoughts?

Recommended Posts

I`m all for physical. No need to rely on netconnection or having pc connected to tv. Plus for collectible stuff( Shaw, other kung fu, heroic bloodshed, spaghetti, eurohorror) really want physical instead of file.

However if one just want to watch and not own specially hollywood products I guess digital is better for them. And definitely cheaper.

Now I have to wait ages for prices to drop for hollywood products as not wanting to pay 15€ for movie probably going to view just one time or 20-35€ for serie season.

Tho what I have checked there seems to be ok selection of cult content in amazon available on digital and I guess need to do at least one purchase as given up hope Shaw Shaolin Temple will ever see release with dub(it`s rare case dub has smarter dialogue) on physical format.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a big fan of dvds. But nowadays, with high speed internet, I'm all for digital, because it allows unlimited access and unrestrained quality, with the codecs of your choice. The problem with discs nowadays, especially for bluray is that it's locked in an overcomplicated format. Nowadays, you can have a free personal media center like kodi and watch your movies anywhere inside or outside your home.

The main problem of discs is that after a few years they run out of stock and the price becomes crazy. So I switched to full digital, and I will not look back. But if I can choose, film 35 or 70 mm is the best viewing experience, digital is just a convenient way to watch 35mm films.

Edited by Rodolphe Dux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Concerning my thoughts on collecting physical music. Basically of how pointless it is now that music has become to widely accessible online. Will it only be a matter of time until this is also the case with film?

As of now there are very valid accessibility related reasons to collect physical motion pictures. But is it inevitable that streaming services will give access to almost all titles to users indefinitely the way spotify, youtube, soundcloud, bandcamp, etc does? If so it probably wouldnt be for a great deal of time though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

I've been selling DVDs for five or six years, but I'm all about film. Blu-ray, DVD, VHS--that stuff is disposable. I'm just not convinced with digital. It will come and go. Film hasn't changed in 120 years. It's organic. HDD can't even begin to give you a similar quality, and probably won't for a very long time.

 

Fuck Digital - Vice (Article)

Link- https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/gqdaem/fuck-digital

 

 

Is that a Warriors Two(1978) theatrical poster I can see on the wall at the back?

 

img_1178.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Is that a Warriors Two(1978) theatrical poster I can see on the wall at the back?

The Magnificent Butcher

Mag Butcher.jpg

Edited by Silver and Gold Dragon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont get the point of the debate, unlike for music, there is no analog video « home » media. Streaming, downloading or physical, that’s exactly the SAME digital data, except when an additional encoding is made. The blu-ray is even worse because of the way it’s assembled and protected, which stops you to use the movie the way you want. A regular matroska or any container is the most simple and popular option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Rodolphe Dux said:

I dont get the point of the debate, unlike for music, there is no analog video « home » media. Streaming, downloading or physical, that’s exactly the SAME digital data, except when an additional encoding is made. The blu-ray is even worse because of the way it’s assembled and protected, which stops you to use the movie the way you want. A regular matroska or any container is the most simple and popular option.

But no one is selling Matroska files. By that, I mean Amazon and iTues have a very specific way of selling media. I think the argument is whether these services are better than physical media. We can only dream about getting the formats we most desire.

Side note: It's weird that if Amazon goes tits up (it won't), we'll lose any media we've purchased through them because we're not actually given a download. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

But no one is selling Matroska files. By that, I mean Amazon and iTues have a very specific way of selling media. I think the argument is whether these services are better than physical media. We can only dream about getting the formats we most desire.

Side note: It's weird that if Amazon goes tits up (it won't), we'll lose any media we've purchased through them because we're not actually given a download. 

There are drm free streaming and download offers on the market, mainly for very obscure or indie movie whose rights don’t belong to a big company. The container is not very important, the thing is to have the data inside any container. The problem is Drm, which you can remove if purchased, and maybe convert to matroska if needed. Itunes works the same. It would be nice to have a digital shop drm free for classic kung fu though.

Edited by Rodolphe Dux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Side note: It's weird that if Amazon goes tits up (it won't), we'll lose any media we've purchased through them because we're not actually given a download.

The trick is thing to do is have a Movies Anywhere account and link your accounts.

I have my Amazon, iTunes, Vudu, Google Play and Microsoft Movies & TV accounts linked on Movies Anywhere. Movies I purchased on Amazon or any of the other services are showing across each services - but that is for the movie studios that are participating (Paramount, Lionsgate & a few other smaller studio are not participating). 

Depending on where I am at, I can choose which service to watch a linked movie (example watch on iTunes even though it was purchased on Amazon or google).

I haven't done much downloading as I do not really need it but I have downloaded a few movies to watch offline when I will be at a place where I will have no internet.

 

Edit: forgot to add that some of my movies purchased from the other services are also showing in my YouTube account under purchases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2019 at 1:41 AM, HyperDrive said:

 

Strange times for home entertainment, and many have seen the above coming. How it will eventually turn out is another question?, more Digital Platforms to turn up by genre?. Would be great to see a service that offered Marvel & D.C content, without the split.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

 

Strange times for home entertainment, and many have seen the above coming. How it will eventually turn out is another question?, more Digital Platforms to turn up by genre?. Would be great to see a service that offered Marvel & D.C content, without the split.

Streaming is now becoming more "streamline", so to speak. 

I see competition, and in a good way. Each of the services will be "producing" more of of their own contents, they will be "raising the bar"  to attract subscribers, they will be competing against each other for subscribers. People will be subscribing to multiple services (I know I will). 

I can see in the near future, we will be getting a bunch of Asian shows (Netflix already started) & the other services will too as that is a huge market waiting to be tap into. 

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Would be great to see a service that offered Marvel & D.C content, without the split.

It's a dream but I don't think it gonna happen.

Marvel is owned by Disney while DC is owned by Time Warner - big rival there.......but you never know.

Also DC have their own streaming service called DC Universe but it may merger with the WarnerMedia (AT&T / Warner Bros) streaming service.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

The battle for the eyes of TV-watchers around the globe is about to enter a particularly heated and bloody chapter. Netflix has been moving fast to secure its first-mover advantage by vacuuming up as much content as possible, while simultaneously expanding aggressively internationally. But Wall Street's darling is about to face stiff competition, as the likes of Disney, Amazon, Apple, and others marshal their considerable forces (and cash) to control the future of not just television, but entertainment as we know it.

Source- https://qz.com/guide/streaming-wars/

 

Who will win the streaming wars?

Link- https://moneyweek.com/504871/who-will-win-the-streaming-wars/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, thekfc said:

Streaming is now becoming more "streamline", so to speak. 

I see competition, and in a good way. Each of the services will be "producing" more of of their own contents, they will be "raising the bar"  to attract subscribers, they will be competing against each other for subscribers. People will be subscribing to multiple services (I know I will). 

I can see in the near future, we will be getting a bunch of Asian shows (Netflix already started) & the other services will too as that is a huge market waiting to be tap into. 

 

You make some good points there @thekfc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

21 hours ago, JackieChan said:

Here's just some of my collection.

 

Great collection dude, thanks for sharing it here.

 

One thing streaming can never replace, and that's the social side of going into a Rental stores/Retail shop's. Being able to talk to people about the film your purchasing, getting suggestions, feedback etc. I'd choose that, over any voice commanded streaming service, and its recommendations based on what it thinks I like. A few weeks back I picked up aboxset, for my girlfriends birthday. Only to end up discussing movies with the person behind the counter.

Streaming not all negatives, there's no late fee's with it. Though I'm not sure how it works if you dont have money to keep the service?. Does your bank account become over-drawn, or is your access to a service just cut  off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

One thing streaming can never replace, and that's the social side of going into a Rental stores/Retail shop's. Being able to talk to people about the film your purchasing, getting suggestions, feedback etc. I'd choose that, over any voice commanded streaming service, and its recommendations based on what it thinks I like. A few weeks back I picked up aboxset, for my girlfriends birthday. Only to end up discussing movies with the person behind the counter.

Streaming not all negatives, there's no late fee's with it. Though I'm not sure how it works if you dont have money to keep the service?. Does your bank account become over-drawn, or is your access to a service just cut  off?

Not to mention that video store staff recommendations are better than fake reviews on Amazon. I noticed Amazon has merged the pages of two unrelated movies of the same name as well.

If the account you use for auto pay doesn't have the necessary funds in it or the credit card is expired or maxed out, the transaction won't go through and your access will be cut off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×