DragonClaws

Physical, Digital, or Both: What Are Your Thoughts?

My feelings on this are very mixed. On the one hand, I love the convenience of streaming, and it’s in HD; it looks better than I ever imagined it could. On the other, I don’t like what it’s done to physical media and how so many titles in HD are streaming-exclusive or how physical media releases rarely have extras worth a damn anymore. I wish the two things could just happily coexist for different markets and people, but that’s just not financially feasible. I am willing to go to the ends of the Earth to import proper releases, and most the niche market stuff that people like us like sometimes requires that. Guess we’ll see where the chips fall. I definitely support collector’s labels like Shout, Arrow, Criterion, etc. when they deserve it (not to say that they don’t make mistakes too). So it’s a complicated question without easy answers. 

Edited by hanshotfirst1138

On 1/28/2019 at 12:13 PM, hanshotfirst1138 said:

My feelings on this are very mixed. On the one hand, I love the convenience of streaming, and it’s in HD; it looks better than I ever imagined it could. On the other, I don’t like what it’s done to physical media and how so many titles in HD are streaming-exclusive or how physical media releases rarely have extras worth a damn anymore. I wish the two things could just happily coexist for different markets and people, but that’s just not financially feasible. I am willing to go to the ends of the Earth to import proper releases, and most the niche market stuff that people like us like sometimes requires that. Guess we’ll see where the chips fall. I definitely support collector’s labels like Shout, Arrow, Criterion, etc. when they deserve it (not to say that they don’t make mistakes too). So it’s a complicated question without easy answers. 

The two can co-exist, but only time will tell, at the moment, there's so much digital content, spread out over various formats. Rather than one service offering everything, like when you used to walk into your local Film/T.V/Music shop, and have the choice of all the latest release under one roof. If film collecor's didnt enjoy collecting physical media so much, it would have disappeared year's ago. It's funny to see VHS style packaged DVD/Blu-ray now becoming a thing, year's after most people sold off their collection, apart from the die hard collector's. My collection of films simply got too big to store, so I had to let some stuff go, if I'd had enough money, I would have just built my own rental shop style, space for them.

Edited by DragonClaws

Great to hear that long time Asian action supporter's, HMV, have been bought out of administration. A friend of mine recently lost their job with the company, due to cuts cut backs within the firm.

There's still a long way to go for the copamny though.

Edited by DragonClaws

Samsung calls time on Blu-Ray player's (Article)

Link- https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/63496/samsung-ends-blu-ray-player-production

This might sound pretty negative, but the end of physical media been the subject of articles, for the last decade or so. Blu-Ray was supposed to spell the end of DVD, but DVD might just have outlasted it?.

Physical_Media_film_cans_full.jpg

On 2/20/2019 at 12:38 PM, DragonClaws said:

Link- https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/63496/samsung-ends-blu-ray-player-production

Now this is the 2nd high profile company to state that they will no longer manufacture new BD players (for the US market).

OPPO stated last year that is it getting out of the market

https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx 

Hopefully, just like the re emergence of more vinyl, this too is just a temporary pothole on the road. same way people thought books were going out the door when Borders Books closed down, this too will not go quietly into the night. If... just if big companies will stop making Blu-ray/4K players, well then, i will buy about 10 of those $50-85 BD players and stock up for the Blu-ray Apocalypse.  

On 2/27/2019 at 9:56 PM, TheFlyingPanda said:

Hopefully, just like the re emergence of more vinyl, this too is just a temporary pothole on the road. same way people thought books were going out the door when Borders Books closed down, this too will not go quietly into the night. If... just if big companies will stop making Blu-ray/4K players, well then, i will buy about 10 of those $50-85 BD players and stock up for the Blu-ray Apocalypse.  

CDs and vinyl are more popular than digital downloads once again

Link- https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/22/17152120/digital-downloads-cd-vinyl-riaa-2017-report

HMV claims physical media isn't dead as it builds for the future

An audience for physical media

That isn’t to say physical sales are doing well, however. Last year, total UK sales of DVDs and Blu-ray discs – two of HMV’s core ranges – fell 17% to £894m as total revenues from digital video, which includes services such as iTunes and Netflix, surged 23% to £1.3bn overtaking more traditional formats for the first time. Physical sales of CDs, meanwhile, fell by 13%, a steep decline after a 3.7% fall in 2015, according to the Entertainment Retailers Association.

Yet these numbers don’t tell the full story, according to Leighton.

She hits back: “There is still an audience out there for physical media, irrespective of what the media believes. Young people like to own a physical product as it makes them feel closer to the artist and have something tangible to hold in their hand. We are seeing a trend [towards this way of thinking], particularly among young women.”

Surce- https://www.marketingweek.com/2017/04/03/hmv-rebuilding-brand-ashes-keeping-faith-physical-media/

Edited by DragonClaws

While originally I stated I was a physical media fan (and I am), I have decided to start purchasing digital versions of horror films. I've always loved over the top, gory horrors and scooping them all up on Blu Ray may cost me a small fortune. So, I thought it would be wise to just get them digitally. Although, I'm a bit miffed that films like the fantastic Laid to Rest only have standard definition versions available for purchase on Prime Video. But then, if I were to buy it physically, there's no Blu Ray release either.

eBay Data Reveals Resurgence of Physical Media

The UK is experiencing a comeback of books, music, movies and games you can hold in your hands – especially among 18-24 year olds.

Link- https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-data-reveals-resurgence-of-physical-media/

This preference for physical media also seems to be fueled by an increasing desire to disconnect from the digital world. 18-24 year olds in the UK are powering the resurgence, with 83% of these “digital natives” having bought a physical book, CD, vinyl, DVD, Blu-ray disk or video game disc or cartridge in the last year. In fact, digital natives are buying more physical books than even baby boomers (55-64 year olds) and retirees (aged 65 and over).

il_570xN.1586045679_o5vp.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

For those who are into digital media, a good question would be why did you go that route?

For me, I use to travel a lot (I slowed down after the birth of my son) and one time our flight went irrop & we got stuck at an alternate airport.

Because of a storm that shifted and was now heading towards our intended destination, our flight got detoured. While at the airport the airline crew reached their time out limit (so they had to fly in a new crew), I had no visa to enter that country (nor would immigration let anyone through as that was not our intended destination), I had no entertainment so it was a long long long wait at the airport.  We were offloaded into a waiting area (was much better than staying on the plane), was given food but we had no entertainment.

I was slowly getting into digital media but after that incident (and as they would say) I went "all in".

Now with every flight after that, I would fly with some form of entertainment as well as with travel insurance - no matter how short or close the flight is from home.

On 1/31/2019 at 12:12 PM, DragonClaws said:

The two can co-exist, but only time will tell, at the moment, there's so much digital content, spread out over various formats. Rather than one service offering everything, like when you used to walk into your local Film/T.V/Music shop, and have the choice of all the latest release under one roof. If film collecor's didnt enjoy collecting physical media so much, it would have disappeared year's ago. It's funny to see VHS style packaged DVD/Blu-ray now becoming a thing, year's after most people sold off their collection, apart from the die hard collector's. My collection of films simply got too big to store, so I had to let some stuff go, if I'd had enough money, I would have just built my own rental shop style, space for them.

Damn! And, I thought that basements were only for hiding the bodies or keeping safe from tornadoes. That is awesome! I wish that I had a basement now! As long as there is no moisture issue then keeping those movies displayed like a real video store would be uber cool. 

On 2/20/2019 at 10:38 AM, DragonClaws said:

This might sound pretty negative, but the end of physical media been the subject of articles, for the last decade or so. Blu-Ray was supposed to spell the end of DVD, but DVD might just have outlasted it?.

Physical_Media_film_cans_full.jpg

On 2/24/2019 at 8:33 AM, thekfc said:

Now this is the 2nd high profile company to state that they will no longer manufacture new BD players (for the US market).

OPPO stated last year that is it getting out of the market

https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx 

It does suck that Samsung and OPPO have stopped making players. I hope this is not a new trend going forward. But, I probably should purchase a back-up region fee player at some point just in case. 

Personally, I am all about the blu-ray or a really well made dvd. I know that not all the movies that I want to have on blu-ray will be available in that format. A lot of the Shaw Brothers movies are still only available through iTunes. I will go to where I need to to get what I want. But, I always replace any download with a physical disc if one becomes available. There are pros and cons to everything but who knows how long a particular company will have a product available for streaming or download. And, with the price of internet service always going up, whose to say what I will be able to afford in the future. If I have no access to internet or my hard drive dies, how will I view my material? Yeah, I do back-up what is on the hd; but, it`s a game of moving content from point A to B to C, etc. But, once I buy a blu-ray or dvd then I can keep it as long as it will last. Knock-on-wood, I haven't had any problems with any of the older dvd`s that I have purchased from even the early 90`s. Hell, I still have VHS and player that works.  

Apple is set to launch their streaming service very soon (next week?), they will unveil all the details on March 25th.

Disney is set to launch their service (called Disney+) around September of this year.

Criterion Channel  is set to launch on April 8th, 2018.

DC Universe was launch last year.

Amazon/IMDb launch Freedive (no Amazon prime needed & free to watch) earlier this year .

AT&T WarnerMedia/HBO is set to launch later this year

With the launch of these services/company, the field is getting crowded and what would that means for Cable service?

6 hours ago, thekfc said:

Apple is set to launch their streaming service very soon (next week?), they will unveil all the details on March 25th.

Disney is set to launch their service (called Disney+) around September of this year.

Criterion Channel  is set to launch on April 8th, 2018.

DC Universe was launch last year.

Amazon/IMDb launch Freedive (no Amazon prime needed & free to watch) earlier this year .

AT&T WarnerMedia/HBO is set to launch later this year

With the launch of these services/company, the field is getting crowded and what would that means for Cable service?

Hard to ever say how things will be like in the future, but will we end up paying more for our entertainment?. Alongside paying the Internet bill/Mobile bill's/video game expansion charges, etc etc. Buying all these services, for the content we like, even though you maybe dont have the desire to watch everything thats on their. When you bought movies from a store, you didnt go picking up titles you ddnt want, alngside those you did.

19 hours ago, TheFlyingPanda said:

wow! were is that place at? Looks like some of the spots I visit in New York. 

Unable to I-D the location, hoped someone else on here might be able to?.

On 3/25/2019 at 5:37 PM, TheFlyingPanda said:

wow! were is that place at? Looks like some of the spots I visit in New York

On 3/26/2019 at 12:40 PM, DragonClaws said:

Unable to I-D the location, hoped someone else on here might be able to?.

I think that store is in the Longshan Temple area in Wanhua, Taipei, Taiwan.

Not sure which shopping area or surrounding night market.

4 hours ago, thekfc said:

I think that store is in the Longshan Temple area in Wanhua, Taipei, Taiwan.

Thanks for trying to answer this question @thekfc.

Edited by DragonClaws