I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

DragonClaws

Physical, Digital, or Both: What Are Your Thoughts?

"If You cant hold it in your hands, you don't relay have it"  is my rule with media. Like a couple of others have mentioned, even if its streaming or available digital, I still find myself Buying a physical copy (till today) of at least my favorite movies, genres and at most very artsy, niche or obscure cult films.

If the physical copy of the film is available with a digital copy, than its no-questions-asked the better choice of the two. Vudu has an option to digitize some of your popular moves for 2-5 dollars, but its extremely limited right now and almost worthless as I cant even convert a quarter of my movies because most are UK or Hong Kong prints.     

In the distant Future media will just become smaller, Perhaps a flash disk sized movie inside some cool media booklet with all the special features and format's included.

something similar to this.  book-shaped-usb-flash-drive-fdpl274-2_2.jpg

16 hours ago, lilmanjs said:

Streaming will probably never get to being as good looking as physical media, which I got reminded of again when I got Star Trek: The Next Generation on blu ray last year. .

Yes streaming media will not look as great as physical media, especially if you viewing 4K contents. The bandwidth to support just isn't there yet.

1 hour ago, TheFlyingPanda said:

If the physical copy of the film is available with a digital copy, than its no-questions-asked the better choice of the two. Vudu has an option to digitize some of your popular moves for 2-5 dollars, but its extremely limited right now and almost worthless as I cant even convert a quarter of my movies because most are UK or Hong Kong prints.     

I have been doing the Vudu thing now for a while. I did the 100 conversion limit lat year, I haven't done much this year (time). I also did many Disc to Digital (D2D) conversion on their previous service. 

I created a post about it last year.

I have a good amount of digital media but I view digital media as a supplement and (to an extent) a complement to physical media and not as a replacement.

Thanks @sym8, @lilmanjs, @thekfc and @TheFlyingPanda for sharing your thoughts/opinions.

I've taken the following quote from the Den Of Geek comments section, thought it was relevant here.

Netflix pulls out of Cannes(Sort of) Link- http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/netflix/56788/netflix-pulls-out-of-cannes-film-festival

Wholeheartedly agree. For me, Netflix is ruining cinema, I really wanted to see Beasts of No Nation, Okja and Annihilation on the big screen, I didn't get to. So I thought "well, at least I can buy them on blu-ray". Nope, Netflix are terrible at releasing blu-rays. So I watched it on Netflix, where I had to keep pausing every 5 minutes due to noise and bad internet. It ruined all 3 experiences.

At least Amazon release their films theatrically, so it's not like streaming and cinemas can't co-exists and be of benefit to people, but every streaming company should still release blu-rays and DVDs.

I am in the camp that want to see a movie on the big screen first but I am also in the camp that says if a company finance/pays the production cost then they have the right to decide who the movie is release; so it's a double edged sword right there.

As in Netflix case they want people to subscribe to their service by claiming exclusive release; currently they are a streaming only company.

Amazon is a bit different, they are a giant internet retail & not a streaming company.  They don't want people to just "subscribe" to their streaming service, they want people to scribe to the "Prime" service and shop (shop is the key word) - the streaming is an incentive to joining Prime. And Amazon Prime offerings is huge - you have Prime Music, Prime Video, Prime Reading, Prime Pantry, Prime Now, Prime Art, Prime Tickets, Prime Home Now, etc, etc,.

They want to make that extra dollar out of you.

Thus they release in the theater, have the streaming exclusivity, sell the digital as well as the physical media.  

1 hour ago, thekfc said:

They want to make that extra dollar out of you.

Thus they release in the theater, have the streaming exclusivity, sell the digital as well as the physical media.  

Too right, at the rate Amazon's growing, they'll be charging people to breath Amazon air soon.

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Too right, at the rate Amazon's growing, they'll be charging people to breath Amazon air soon.

Ha ha, they do have a service called Amazon Air.   :laugh

On 13/04/2018 at 12:29 AM, thekfc said:

Ha ha, they do have a service called Amazon Air.   :laugh

Thinking about it, wasnt Vilos Cohaagen in the original Total Recall, working for Amazon on Mars?.

16 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Thinking about it, wasnt Vilos Cohaagen in the original Total Recall, working for Amazon on Mars?.

Wasn't he the Governor or Chief Administrator or something similar of Mars?

4 minutes ago, thekfc said:

Wasn't he the Governor or Chief Administrator or something similar of Mars?

Yep, he controls the clean air there, so I made a joke about him working for Amazon.

1 minute ago, DragonClaws said:

Yep, he controls the clean air there, so I made a joke about him working for Amazon.

Ha ha, ok, I haven't had my morning coffee yet :blush.  ....oh wait i don't drink coffee. :smile

On 12/04/2018 at 7:38 PM, thekfc said:

As in Netflix case they want people to subscribe to their service by claiming exclusive release; currently they are a streaming only company.

Don't they have a hand in some of their original content/shows?, such as the chat show they have?. I only know about this becuase they had Jackie Chan on there to promote, The Foriegner, which is still waiting for a physcial release in the U.K arghhhhhhh.

On 16/04/2018 at 12:55 PM, thekfc said:

Ha ha, ok, I haven't had my morning coffee yet :blush.  ....oh wait i don't drink coffee. :smile

You picked the wrong day to give ampethamines - Steven McCrosky(Llyod Bridges)

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Don't they have a hand in some of their original content/shows?, such as the chat show they have?. 

They do have a hand in some of their contents. 

In addition to producing their own contents, they "original" contents also included continuing other channel's cancelled shows that they got the rights to continue; licensing, producing & co-producing contents to show in their territories; purchasing shows/movies as well as purchasing license shows/movies to use in a different form (Carmen Sandiego, Spy Kids: Critical Mission, Lost In Space, etc,.).

The Foriegner, which is still waiting for a physcial release in the U.K arghhhhhhh.

You guys still waiting? :angry

You picked the wrong day to give ampethamines - Steven McCrosky(Llyod Bridges)

You got me on that one. :laugh

5 minutes ago, thekfc said:

You guys still waiting? :angry

I will hoping to get hold of copy before my 70th birthday.

If I find out Netflix is behind the holding back of the movie in the U.K, then I shall have to don the ninja suit and weapons, and head down to their premises, and sort the situation out myself.

1 hour ago, thekfc said:

So thats why Michael Bay been currently courted by them, they can now afford to make just about anyone a money offer.

When it comes to MA movies I have to have physical media, the same when it comes to music.

I'll quite happily stream other movies though that I don't really have any interest in owning.

This article focus's more on the world of gaming, but it's still an relevant to this thread.

Media format matters: Users' perceptions of physical versus digital games

Link- https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/pra2.2016.14505301031

In Defence of Phyical Media: Why you Should Keep Buying Blu-Ray's & DVD's.

Link- http://collider.com/why-you-should-keep-buying-blu-rays-and-dvds/

Edited by DragonClaws

Few more related articles.

Where Digital Fails: The pitfalls of ditching your physical media

Link- https://lifehacker.com/where-digital-fails-the-pitfalls-of-ditching-your-phys-1489218620

A Confession: Ive Returned To Buying Physical Media

Link- https://uproxx.com/movies/confession-ultra-hd-making-physical-media-relevant/

Why DVD'S & Blu-ray's Remain Essential, in the age of streaming

Link- https://www.vox.com/culture/2016/12/27/14057894/physical-media-essential-streaming-dvd-bluray-netflix

Would your collection be the same, if it wasconverted into digital file on your computer?.

Would you prefer someone to give you a digital file as a gift?, rather than actual physical one you can un-wrap and hold?.

dvd_collection___re_organized_by_bagged_

With Disney pulling its content from other Digital Services, it looks like fans will have to fork out for another online service, if they wish to see the up-coming Star Wars series. 

Star Wars' TV Series: Disney Developing "a Few" for Its Streaming Service

Link- https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-wars-tv-series-disney-developing-a-few-streaming-service-1082523

95luh81vun501.jpg

DVD and digital download costs   (United Kingdom)

The Walking Dead season 1

Digital: £9.99 on Amazon Video

DVD: £4.99 (free delivery) from Amazon

Frozen

DVD: £9.21 (£7.95 plus £1.26 UK delivery) from Amazon

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2

DVD: £7.05 (£5.79 plus £1.26 UK delivery) from Amazon

Dunkirk

DVD: £9.56 (£8.30 plus £1.26 UK delivery) from Amazon

American Made

DVD: £9.69 (free delivery) from Amazon

The Limehouse Golem

DVD: £9.76 (£8.50 plus £1.26 UK delivery) from Amazon

Logan Lucky

DVD: £9.25 (£7.99 plus £1.26 UK delivery) from Amazon

War for the Planet of the Apes

DVD: £7.25 (free delivery) from Amazon

The Polar Express

Digital: £6.99 on Amazon Video

DVD: £2.86 (£1.60 plus £1.26 UK delivery) from Amazon

47 Metres Down

DVD: £8.36 (£7.10 plus £1.26 UK delivery) from Amazon

A sneeky way of increasing the cost of Entertainment?, when the Digital service, really should be cheaper. They don't have to spend any money on packaging at all. It's stil cheaper to order a physical release, even when you consider delivery costs.

Price list from the following article.

ONLINE MOVIES RIP-OFF Streaming films can cost more than double the price of buying DVDs – in spite of delivery costs.

Link- https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5393578/streaming-cost-more-than-double-price-of-dvd/

On 10/3/2018 at 12:00 PM, DragonClaws said:

With Disney pulling its content from other Digital Services, it looks like fans will have to fork out for another online service, if they wish to see the up-coming Star Wars series.

This have been expected.

Disney did announced that in the future they will have their own streaming services. 

As the distribution deals expires. These contents will go into the "vault" until they are ready for the launch of the Disney streaming service. 

That will include the Disney contents as well as Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. Also not that Disney now owns 20th Century Fox and about  1/3 of Hulu so it makes perfect sense for them to have exclusivity to their contents. 

Anyone who buys movies that comes with a digital copy or buy digital movies -  I would advice them to join Movies Anywhere (is operated by Disney). If you have purchases from Amazon Prime, iTunes, Google Play, Vudu, Fandangonow & Microsoft Movies & TV - you can sync/consolidate your library. Most of my contents from all the service have been synced (not all movies studios participate) and I can watch them on any of the platform that I choose.

Also my UHD contents can be watched on whichever services that support it plus some of my contents were upgraded to UHD on some services.

Physical for sure! I just started a petition to get a physical CD release of DJ Quik and Problem’s album Rosecrans because I’ve been wanting that since the album dropped digitally a year and a half ago. Best be sure I’d do that for a number of new or upcoming Hong Kong movies. I prefer to collect my music on CD and movies on Blu-ray/DVD