DragonClaws

Missing In Action: Bruce Lee's Deleted Movie Scene's

The Cutting Room Floor   

(Last Up-date:14/1/20)

Introduction: Firstly, I'd like to say this is by no means a definitive look at every cut/missing scene from the late actor's/Martial Artist's filmography. I just thought this article might spark some discussion on the subject, between Kung Fu Fandom members/readers. This write-up features genuine deleted/cut scenes. Along with some theories I've come up with over the years, regarding possible cuts/alterations alongside fandom theories & online myth's. Looking exclusively at all four of Bruce Lee's complete Hong Kong Martial Art's films. The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Way of The Dragon and Enter The Dragon. It might present more question than answer's so feel free to share your own thoughts/opinions in the following thread. Please note that this is also a work in progress, I'll be adding further content to this article in the future. Keeping checking the forums for up-date's and other new Little Dragon related discussions.

If anyone has any content/corrections or suggestions for the following article?, then just send me a PM(Private Message) or contact me publically via this thread.

Missing In Action: Bruce Lee's Deleted Movie Scene's

I have seen the uncut version through Fred Weintraub. Fred has all of Bruce Lee's films in the original state uncut, because he was sent the films from Hong Kong by Raymond Chow to show what kind of actor / star Bruce was in HK, so Fred and Paul Heller can determine if they wanted to use him for Enter the Dragon. - David Tadman

The Big Boss    (1971)

It's common knowledge among long terms fans, that Bruce Lee's The Big Boss underwent a lot of changes for its international release. The often talked about burning cart scene, Cheng's second visit to the brothel, the work-saw in the head etc. This was covered superbly by Jason Hart's well researched article. That really dug deep into the omitted scenes from Bruce Lee's first box-office hit. For anyone yet to read this, I've included a link at the end of this write-up. Here's my short piece on the footage featured in the much grieter Hong Kong premiere version. Along with some possible further edits, made to master of the current International prints.

There are however, stills from the movie, that bring up questions regarding other cut scenes?. Most fans have seen the well-known and now iconic image of Bruce Lee's flying kick. Taken from one of the Big Boss's promotional pictures, it shows Lee kicking Peter Chan, who's wearing a blue t-shirt. Yet Chan never appeared in the finale of the movie. Yet you can spot his body lying on the floor during Cheng’s fight with the big boss. At around 1:30:28 into the movie, you can spot Peter Chan face down in the dirt, in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. As Lee and the boss continue to fight. If he didn’t appear in the finale?, what’s he doing laying there?. You can spot his body again in a later shot at 1:31:30.

Also, the two lackey’s who can be seen crawling away, behind Cheng's back, as Cheng approaches the mansion. Both are laid static on the ground during later clips in the final fight. Was this just bad continuity? or was there more to the last few scenes of the movie?. Did they film more footage, only to change their mind about it in the editing room?. When I emailed Jason Hart many moons ago, he said he thought they were just promotional pictures, featuring Peter Chan. I'll take his word, as he knows more about the movie than I do. Yet the presence of Chans body during the finale, still presents some un-answered question's.

Some fans speculate that there was an extended print of The Big Boss released on video in Greece and Spain?. There's also rumours of some German and Greek trailers featuring further cut scenes?. Is this the reason why you just dont see any official Greek, French or Spanish trailers for the film?. The only German preview I've seen is on YouTube, and its indentical to the British Rank trailer. Fan's have awaited for some kind of release for so long, would they accept a full screen foriegn dubbed version of one of the longer prints?. If a private collector choose to release it. I personally think we would have seen more unseen footage, if such VHS releases even existed. The bloody use of the work-mans tools by the lead character have often been heatedly discussed online. To the point where the lost scene has taken on a whole life/following in itself. Despite the suject being so thoroughly covered elswhere. It had to be at least talked about here.

The second of the two heavily cropped images below, have been made available online for some time now. I'm not sure of its exact source?, can anyone reveal more about it? or who put the image out to the public?. It appears to have been darkened, in order to hide whats in the background?. If you look to the bottom far left of the still, you can see someones hand. Which I think belongs to Tony Liu?, when he's stood behind Bruce Lee wielding the saw in The Big Boss?. If you watch the ice factory fight scene, you will see he's holding a knife in his hand. Look to the far left of the screen, and you wlll notice him standing with a single knife behind Bruce Lee's character. Is this 2nd image of Cheng-Chao-An raising his hand just after he's lodged the saw into a thugs head?.

BL2466.jpg

BL3261.jpg

Before I switch my attention to Bruce Lee's second Martial Arts feature. There is one possible further cut to The Big Boss, which may not have been high-lighted/talked about before?. When Cheng Chiu-On fights Mi's son (Tony Liu), it appears some dialogue and gore may have been removed?. Watch the sequence closely at around 1-hr 20-Min's & 51-secs into the movie. Bruce Lee's lips begin to mouth some words?, just after he delivers the final death blow. Then it quickly cuts to the next shot of him with fist still defiantly outstretched, taken from another angle. The Rank VHS tape I owned had a clear jump in the soundtrack here too. Has some dialogue being removed from this sequence?. Did they reduce the shot of Mi son's bleeding mouth?, after Cheng hits him for the final time?. Or is it just roughly edited sequence in a low budget movie?.

Here's a still from the scene I'm reffering to, featuring Tony Liu and Bruce Lee.

BL3267.jpg

Cheng Chiu-On's second visit to the bordello, had little effect on his ability to later fight in Mis and his top men. While many fans would love to see an extended release. Would this scene not have a big impact on the overall pacing of the finale?. I personally think this scene would have played out better before the river-side mourning scene.

image.png

An alternative shot of the flying kick promo photo. Note the bloody wound on the Thai stuntman to the far left, where Cheng stabs his character in the movie.

BL692.jpg

Here's the same cropped picture again, only taken from a slightly different angle.

image.png

Cheng subdues an angry worker at the ice factory, discarded scene? or mis-interpreted picture?.

BL618.jpg

This Singapore flyer for The Big Boss, features a rare image from the saw in head sequence. Take a look at the images, along the top of the flyer.

This item doesnt belong to me, its part of this collection, Link- https://bruceleeiconmuseum.wordpress.com/2016/05/21/original-flyers/

152.jpg?w=700&h=

Fist Of Fury   (1972)

It's been rumoured that this movie originally had a longer run-time?. Some of the movies Hong Kong promotional leaflets etc, list the movie with a longer run time. A fan posted one of these on the Bruce Lee Lives forum, but sadly the link for the image no longer works. It might have just been a typo/error in regards to the longer run-time?. There have been suggestions, that there were more scenes featuring Cheng and the interpreter he pulls around in the rickshaw?. The many pictures of these scenes, suggest they were at least filmed or at least reheaarsed in-front of  stills camera.

One sequence, that was definitely cut from the movie, features Chen Zhen performing a kick on Mr Suzuki. The edit is very abrupt, fans looking for this cut should watch closely at around 1:34:37, just after he ditches the nunchukus, he goes to throw a kick but it abruptly cuts to the empty hand exchange. According to Bob Baker, when Chen bites Petrov's foot, the sequence also ran a bit longer, with Chen really biting down on his ankle. With Petrov finding it harder to shake him off. This he mentioned at a U.K convention, featuring him, John Saxon and Howard Williams.

There's another photo of a scene featuring Lee still in character, re-entering the Japanese dojo space. The scar on his chest, confirms that its after his duel with Mr Suzuki. Did the Japanese who slaughtered his school, return to the dojo before he left?. Or was there simply a shot of Chen reflectively walking away through the carnage he made?, let us know what you think?.

48/ In FOF in the end Bruce fights Suzuki in that fight Bruce kicked Suzuki in his face with his right leg, is that also a deleted scene ?

DT: This Iam not sure of, someone else like Wu Tang or Tan, etc. might know. Brian White at HKL would no more about this type of thing.

The missing kick, which shows Chen Zhen clipping Mr Suski on the back of the head. Was there further material cut from this sequence?.

BL627.jpg

Chen Zhen re-entering the Japanese dojo, after the Suzuki/Petrov fight.

BL459X.jpg

Way Of The Dragon   (1972)

Fans of the Little dragon have talked about the missing footage from Way Of The Dragon for decades now. There's no concrete proof it even exists anymore, but there's a theory that extra scenes were filmed. Like any conversation/writing about rare Bruce Lee footage, the information is often vague at best. Related images and pictures are often even harder to get hold of. Vague also been a word that applies to some content in this article. Rumour's persist of another scene featuring Chuck Norris character Colt. With variations on the story usually detailing how he fight two men. Some enthusiast's say he fought two thugs in an alley way. While other's say the missing fight involved two restuarant waiter's fighting in a restuarant.  Which would mean it most likely invovled two of waiter's from Mr Wang's(Huang Chung-Hsin) restaurant?.

Fiaz Rafiq: Did you film any fight scenes in Rome or were they all done back at Golden Harvest studios in Hong Kong?.

Chaplin Chang: They did have a couple of fight's, a few shots but most of them were shot in the studio. So we did film a few shots in the coliseum but most were done at Golden Harvest studio.

Talk of extended versions of Bruce Lees encounters with the hired fighters. Played by Martial Artists Bob Wall and Whang In-Sik respectively. So far there have been no pictures or film footage released, to even prove this fan theory is true?. I think it might be safe to say thre are possible further outtakes. From the classic Tang Lung VS Colt death match, set in the ancient Roman arena. There was a report in a 1990's Bruce Lee fanzine, that talked about the discovery of lost WOTD footage. Again, I'm unable to post a link or image, but the fanzine has been seen/posted online by fans. Meaning it’s not just me claiming to have viewed the said article. It is rumoured to currently be in the hands of a private Japanese collector. When the deleted scenes and outtakes will be released publically, is anyones guess?.

Actress Melissa Longo confirms that some of her scene were later cut from the WOTD, in the following interview excerpt.

Fiaz Rafiq- Is it true the scene you filmed in the Hotel room was cut in the final film? (2009)

Melissa Longo- The scene we filmed in the hotel room was quite long.They cut it down during the editing to protect Bruce Lee's image. At that time but I still think now?, Asian and American market films were very pure.I think Bruce Lee made the choice?. In my opinion, he cut the scenes becuase the film was intended for family viewing. The nude hotel love scene could damage the positive image of Bruce Lee, since his career had started.  His image leaned towards a good pure man who defends the weak people but is always ready to combat the ba men, in the name of justice, with the only weapon he had: perfect knowledge of Martial Art's. He wanted to create his own style. Dont forget he was very ambitious.

11/ Do you have any information concerning a deleted scene from way of the dragon : bruce looking at a venus statue with nora miao at her apartment?

DT: The only information I have on deleted scenes is that Fortune Star has everything. According to Peter Poon at FS, he told me they found three reels of footage in the can that originaly came from Golden Harvest and that he feels there are many scenes and outtakes within those reels. Not sure what they are going to do with them. I know there is something good in there, because there has been a lot of negotiation happening behind the scenes.

Source- https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bruceleelivestributeforum/q-a-with-david-tadman-dt-t705.html

The following image was originally posted by Hai Tien over at the Bruce Lee Lives Forum

Source- https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bruceleelivestributeforum/only-mr-tadman-knows-but-about-the-deleted-scenes-t2219.html

3293956_ec413340c348ef463c7ba8b8fca8f91d

Did Tang Lung finally show the waiters his Kung Fu technqiues, without getting interupted this time?. The version of the scene that appears in the movie, doesnt have Lee topless.

the-return-of-the-dragon-lobby-card-n02-

Enter The Dragon   (1973)

Like the Big Boss, the missing ETD footage has often been listed and theorized about for decades. Bolo Yeung beating up the guard who drops the luggage, when the contestants first arrive on the island by boat. With the shot of Mr Lee, Williams and Roper watching confused from the shoreline. Then there's Bolo's death scene/final fight, which appears to have been shortened to remove use of a knife?. Did this sequence have anything to do with Tanys(Ahan Capri) censored death scene?. It also been rumoured that Warner Brothers cut out a shot of one of the racist cops, getting his head between the jaws of the dogs at the start of the movie. With test audiences laughing at the poor effects.

It’s a known fact that Bruce Lee's character recieves a copy of his own book on Martial Arts, by Han. Saxons character Roper, being a fine art admirer. Get's his room decorated in modern art peices. His interest in this subject, is simply not included in the current prints at all. Williams gets a some Jazz records with a new sound system and three distinctive posters. One featuring a Black Power fist, one with Jimi Hendrix and third feautring a topless woman. You can see the black power poster, on his wall in the theatrical cut. Yet the other two posters, only turn up in various pictures. Williams can also be seen listening to one of his records, when Tanya enter's the room with the prostitutes. This was all to show how Han's character had done his home work on Roper, Williams & Mr Lee. The scene of Lee inspecting his room, later appeared posthumously in Tower of Death(1981). I cant confirm if edtiors at Golden Harvest actually used the scene in its entirety?.

Despite Bruce Lee's early passing in 1973, Japan had remained a huge market for his movies and merhcandise. The then owners of Golden Harvest, Rayond Chow and Leonard Ho decided to make one last Bruce Lee cash-in. Cinema owners from the land of the rising sun, had been pestering for another movie or film featuring the icon of action cinema. Robert Clouse's Game of Death(1978), had gone onto make more money than Bruce Lee's other completed movies cobined. Only a small portion of un-used outakes and deleted scene from ETD, where spliced into a new film. To help sell the movie to BL fan's, and try to convince audiences the Little Dragon was among the cast of this all new production.

Also appearing in this Bruceploitation production, were short off-cuts. From Bruce Lee extended interior scenes with actors Betty Chung and Hao Li-Jen. Some of this footage has also surfaced online. Including one cut scene of Mr Lee getting into the dark blue jumptsuit. Before he investigates Han's private ground/gardens. During the night prowling, Mr Lee fights one of hans guards. Who finds him snooping down near the guad dog kennel's. While footage of this brief unseen Bruce Lee movie fight, is yet to appear anywhere. From the picture evidence available, Mr Lee twists the guards arm before delivering the final blow with his foot. The stills at least back up and confirms these shots were indeed filmed, rather than just fabricated up. The same is can be said of the additional scenes featuring Ahna Capri's character, offerng Han's guests extra room service a second time. Multple pictures(Mostly from the pictures promotional material), suggesting that the banquet/party originally took place over two nights rather one. Some fan's say you can spot Linda Lee during one of the dinner party's?, she supposed to be wearing a purple dress.

(Deleted Scene) Mr Lee delivers the final blow with his feet of fury, just after the alsasian guard dog alerts Hans guards to his presence.

BL2605.jpg

What happens to Peter Archers character Parsons?, and did he have a larger role in the rough cut?. Some promotional movie stills suggest his fight with Roper(Jimy Kelly(). Might have been edited down in run-time?. With a picture of Williams leaping high into the air, with his hand in a striking position. While his other hand holds a dazed looking Parson's, befor hitting him. One fight scene that I can confirm was shortened, is the fight between involving Bob Wall playing O'Hara. Through some brief footage released to fans, and a number of movie stills put out both online and in printed publications.

Then theres a still of one of Han's Dragon Ladies, sat on a motorbike. That's being towed on a trailer?, with Robert Clouse and Gil Hubbs on-board. A picture of this can be viewed at the end of this article. The woman was to be seen giving out invitations for Hans recruitment tournament. They may have filmed this footage, when Lee was not appearing on set?.. Would it have played a purpose in the finished version?, or was it simply a scrapped idea?. Clouse talks about filming this scene in his making of ETD book. You briefly see some of these scenes during the opening credits. Watch the screen behind the names of the editors Kurt Hirschler and George Watter's. You see the young lady in a yellow and blacksuit, simiar to the one Hai Tien character wears in Game of Death. It's a real blink and you'll miss it moment(See the video below).

Full credit for this video must go to YouTube poster Rubberduck1940, for making the following video.

The first of three possible cuts to the cavern scene, first occurs at 1-minute 51-secs into the video below. Mr Lee grabs stuntman Jackie Chan and breaks his neck, but you don't see him discarding his body. Instead it quickly cuts to the shot of him running towards the elevator doors. Some images suggest he discarded his body first?, or did he fight further guards in this sequence?.

During the Kali stick sequence in ETD, there appears to be another possible cut?. Watch out for the sequence in the video below, around the 3-mins 19-secs mark. One of Han's guard's is being held against the prison bar's. Then when it cuts quickly to the next set-up, he's suddenly laying on the ground with another guard on the floor. Did Warner Brother cut out the death of Han's guard?, was some of the Kali fight cut to remove this scene?.

Mr Lee just moments after discarding Jackie Chans body, in a scene not included in the finished film. This is just one of a number of stills taken from this fight scene.

BL2405.jpg

The extended nunchaku sequence that according to Impact magazine, featured in a rare international trailer for the movie?. While I've never viewed this footage myself, there are a few picture's that prove it was indeed filmed. Some of which have been made available to the fans via books/magazines and the internet. Most of these photo's, deal with what happens after Mr Lee has just hit Jackie Chan, causing him to fly into the water. Which is how the current edit of the nunchaku fight end's prematurely.

The longer cut would show Mr Lee continuing to fight Han's guards down another cavern corridor, before finally being trapped by Han himself. Some of the shots/takes from this seqeunce, were supposed to have been filmed from above?. Maybe filmed from the point of view of Han's character?. Who later looks down on Lee when he's captured by the sliding vertical steel doors. Which actually lie at the end of another passage in the caverns. Rather than next to the underground water pit. Which is the impression viewers now get, thanks to the abrupt cut by Warner Brothers in post production. This remains yet another missing ETD fight scene, featuring its late dynamic star. There were other possible/confimred cuts made to the big cavern fight seqeunce?.

Another question brought about by fan's online. Did they film more footage in the hall of mirors?. Fan's know that Lee would go onto film on the mirror set, after production had wrapped. However, there are pictures circulating online, taken from a 1970's magazine. That show's  Mr Lee with three slash marks on his inner left thigh?, just how did they get there?. Fan's have also a seen a lot of colour and black and white pictures of Betty Chung's charaacter, knocking out one of Han's dungeon guards played by Lam Ching-Ying. Before she goes onto free all of male prisoner's. Did she film further fight scenes in the cavern?, what happened to the women who were locked up there?. Were they freed before she faced the solitary guard?.

The Making of ETD author and the films director, Robert Clouse. Also tell's reader's how the military helicopters featured at the end. Originally landed on Hans island, with the U.S Navy troops pouring out of them. There are a few images circulating of Mr Lee and Roper looking at the aftermath of the films big outside brawl. Watching hans guards getting rounded up. While taking in the carnage caused by the big brawl. These scene's would have taken place after Lee's thumbs up to John Saxon, which ends the current version of the picture. It's also said that there was orignally more to Tanya's(Ahan Capri) death?. It's known via the pictures available, that both Bruce Lee & John Saxons characters acknowledge her characters death, in scene cut from the climax.

An alternative version of the final sequence, note the three cut's to Mr Lee's left leg. Confirming there was some fight footage cut from the Hall of Mirrors by Warne Brother's.

Lee walks down the step's, to greet his friend Roper(John Saxon) and inspect the carnage. I think Bruce and Roper are looking at Tanya(Ahna Capri) body?. In the last picture on the far right below. Only John Saxon has been cropped out, of this particular version of the photo.

"Bruce was to walk down onto the field and join John Saxon, who was victoriously sitting among the broken bodies. They would then walk slowly through the carnage. That night I got to thinking how dull that was. There was nothing fresh to work with. The next day I shot the scene over - Robert Clouse

image.png

Roper & Lee watch on as Han guards are rounded up.

2e4b82588fa52138dbbdc21c8dc1448b.jpg

Deleted scene with Saxon/Ahna Capri, the image on the left is taken in Williams room, note the two alternative posters incuding Jimi Hendrix.

31881127.jpg

Gil Hubbs and Robert Clouse filming close-ups?, for the scene featuring Han's messenger riding the motor-bike.

Jxf6R1j.jpg?w=1060&ssl=1

lOmGORy.jpg?w=1060&ssl=1

While we cant prove that all of the scenes mentioned above existed. Maybe someday in the future, new information or prevously unseen photos, or even footage, might be able to confirm or de-bunk some of the theories?.

A big thank you goes out to all the many Bruce Lee enthusiats and collector's, who shared all their Deleted Scenes related content in books, magazines, and online over the year's. Without them, I would have been unable to put this article together. Please add your own discussion, theories and connected material in the comments/discussion section below. One last thing, Here's the link to Jason Hart's in depth Big Boss article, for those who haven't read it.

The Missing Big Boss by Jason Hart   -  Link- http://bruceleelives.co.uk/missingboss.html

Edited by DragonClaws

Nice work, Dragon Claws.

All I can say about of the possibility of any missing or delete scenes from Bruce Lee's movies being brought to light is that we are running out of time. The people who worked on these movies i.e. production staff, actors, etc.,. are getting older, memories are fading, not to mention the many that have already passed away. The more years go by, the less we are likely to anything new or unseen from these movies...

On 1/5/2018 at 12:42 AM, Shaolivevil said:

Nice work, Dragon Claws.

Thank you @Shaolivevil.

On 1/5/2018 at 12:42 AM, Shaolivevil said:

All I can say about of the possibility of any missing or delete scenes from Bruce Lee's movies being brought to light is that we are running out of time. The people who worked on these movies i.e. production staff, actors, etc.,. are getting older, memories are fading, not to mention the many that have already passed away. The more years go by, the less we are likely to anything new or unseen from these movies...

Agreed, not to mention the fans who caught all these films first time round. Some have been wanting to see these missing scenes a lot longer than others have.

Edited by DragonClaws

On 1/4/2018 at 2:21 PM, DragonClaws said:

The Big Boss

It's common knowledge among long terms fans, that Bruce Lee's The Big Boss underwent a lot of changes for its international release. This was covered superbly by Jason Hart's well researched article. For anyone yet to read this, I've included a link at the end of this post. There are however, stills from the movie, that bring up questions regarding other cut scenes?. Most fan have seen the well-known and now iconic image of Bruce Lee's flying kick. Taken from one of the Big Boss's promotional pictures, it shows Lee kicking Peter Chan, who's wearing a blue t-shirt. Yet Chan never appeared in the finale of the movie. Yet you can spot his body lying on the floor during Cheng’s fights with the big boss. At around 1:30:28 into the movie, you can spot him face down in the dirt, in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. As Lee and the boss continue to fight. If he didn’t appear in the finale?, what’s he doing laying there?. You can see his body again in a later shot at 1:31:30.

Also, the two lackey’s who can be seen crawling away, behind Cheng's back, as he approaches the mansion. Both are laid static on the ground during later clips in the final fight. Was this just bad continuity? or was there more to the last scenes of the movie?. Did they film more footage, only to change their mind about it in the editing room?. When I emailed Jason Hart many moons ago, he said he thought they were just promotional pictures, featuring Peter Chan. I'll take his word, as he knows more about the movie than I do. Yet the presence of Chans body during the finale, always bugged me.

Not that this should come off as a surprise, but apparently the first part of Cheng's battle at the Boss' compound was somewhat longer than it actually was, and he scored a few more kills besides those that appear on mainstream cuts. I'm guessing Peter Chan played a very minor role as a henchman who ambushes Cheng. I'll dig up the comparison pics later on, but basically his "corpse" only appears nearby the pam tree only after Cheng gets slashed in the abdomen; we get a few shots of the palm tree before but Peter Chan and the other thug are nowhere to be seen, so presumably there was a brief moment when they ambushed an already-animalistic Cheng in the middle of his deadly duel with the Boss and meet an unpleasant demise. I was told that Cheng actually snapped the spine of one of the thugs (most likely Peter) and tossed the body in a nearby the tree, hence it's presence.

As for more footage, I might've mentioned this already but there have been talks of a 3-hour long rough, unedited cut of the movie immediately after production on BB wrapped up. Considering the intense editing and re-editing of the movie, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to assume that not only entire sequences were cut, but that BB featured an entirely different order of events for it's 2nd half.

On 1/6/2018 at 9:02 AM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

I'm guessing Peter Chan played a very minor role as a henchman who ambushes Cheng.

Sounds like a good possibility, the other thug you mention in the white shirt. He gets killed by Lee before his fight with Han Ying Chieh's evil boss.

On 1/6/2018 at 9:02 AM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

As for more footage, I might've mentioned this already but there have been talks of a 3-hour long rough, unedited cut of the movie immediately after production on BB wrapped up. Considering the intense editing and re-editing of the movie, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to assume that not only entire sequences were cut, but that BB featured an entirely different order of events for it's 2nd half.

Maybe the Peter Chan stuff was deemed unecessary?, or Lee wasnt happy with how it looked?. Sure they must have filmed some action footage, that was later ditched for different reasons?.

Edited by DragonClaws

This Singapore flyer for The Big Boss, features a rare image from the saw in head sequence. Take a look at the images, along the tp of the flyer.

This item doesnt belong to me, its part of this collection, Link- https://bruceleeiconmuseum.wordpress.com/2016/05/21/original-flyers/

152.jpg?w=700&h=

Edited by DragonClaws

39 minutes ago, mpm74 said:

Awesome post, @DragonClaws. Are you single? Watcha doin' tonight? 

I couldn't help but imagine one of the prozzies from BB doing a solicitation with those words. :tongueout

7 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I confess to having more interest in Dragon Lee than Bruce Lee, but I have to give it up, that was one entertaining read @DragonClaws.

I'd be interested in reading more about your preference for Bruceploitation individuals over the original Little Dragon. I don't even disagree; I find such perspective more intriguing than anything.

On 1/7/2018 at 5:40 PM, mpm74 said:

Awesome post, @DragonClaws. Are you single? Watcha doin' tonight?

LOL Much appreciated dude, I've been warned about you about @OpiumKungFuCracker and I'm not single at the moment.

Hope to add more to the article over the next year or so. There was a some other stuff I'd like to have included in regards to ETD. Just need to get hold of some images, as they say an picture is worth a thousand words. One seect picture can be much better than a load of random rambling, that makes little sense.

On 1/7/2018 at 6:15 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

I confess to having more interest in Dragon Lee than Bruce Lee, but I have to give it up, that was one entertaining read @DragonClaws.

It's my first attempt at writing something other than a review, really appreciate the posiitive feedback. The more people get enjoyment from reading the article, the better.

Would love to write a peice on Dragon Lee's movie's too, but the information is even vaguer. With the hack jobs Asso-Asia did, you could probably write a couple of volumes on those movies.

Edited by DragonClaws

On 1/6/2018 at 4:53 AM, DragonClaws said:

Sounds like a good possibility, the other thug you mention in the white shirt. He gets killed by Lee before his fight with Han Ying Chieh's evil boss.

Maybe the Peter Chan stuff was deemed unecessary?, or Lee wasnt happy with how it looked?. Sure they must have filmed action footage, that was later ditched for different reasons.

Lee didn't have much say in what got cut and by extension neither did Lo Wei. They bemoaned the removal of Cheng's final visit to the brothel and most of the portipns of violence.

There's also the fact Hong Kong companies were straight up clumsy with editing and taking care of the master prints of their own products.

On 1/7/2018 at 6:32 PM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

There's also the fact Hong Kong companies were straight up clumsy with editing and taking care of the master prints of their own products.

True, the VHS release I had, was covered in white splice marks on the image, from the many cuts they made to the movie.

On 1/7/2018 at 6:32 PM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

Lee didn't have much say in what got cut and by extension neither did Lo Wei. They bemoaned the removal of Cheng's final visit to the brothel and most of the portipns of violence.

Sure that was no longer the case by the time he made WOTD, due to his fame and box-office draw.

It's possible the film had a few different cuts, with no one version featuring all the deleted footage.

Edited by DragonClaws

8 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Sure that was no longer the cas y the time he made WOTD, due to his fame and box-office draw.

It's possible the film had a few different cuts, with no one version featuring all the deleted footage.

Bruce definitely had more creative control in subsequent films, just in virtue of the fact those aren't even close to being awfully butchered like BB.

It's generally agreed that the innitial HK theatrical release had all of the missing footage except for the, you guessed it, saw-in-the-head part.

On 1/7/2018 at 6:53 PM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

Bruce definitely had more creative control in subsequent films, just in virtue of the fact those aren't even close to being awfully butchered like BB.

There's certainly more information in regards to the Big Boss's missing scenes. If I listed all the missing footage from ETD, the list would be quite lengthy. There's not just cut Bruce Lee scenes, theres also deleted scenes featuring other actor such as Saxon, Kelly, Capri, Yeung, Kien etc.

Edited by DragonClaws

3 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

There's certianly more information in regards to the Big Boss missing scenes. If I listed all the missing footage from ETD, the list would be quite lengthy. There's not jut Bruce Lee scenes, there also deleted scenes just featuring other actor such as Saxon, Kelly, Capri, Yeung, Kien etc.

Even the script for ETD (Blood and Steel) had extensive rewrites before proper filming actually started. 

Just to provide an example, here's a following quote of what could've been, courtesy of the greenbamboo forums.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/256969/message/1483775812

"In the original script, there is supposed to have a steamy scene where Lee Jun Keung and Mei Ling (Betty Chung) had a shower and love scene. But this was not shot. Unlike Roper and Williams who made love to the Han’s beautiful ladies, Bruce definitely would not allow his hero image be “ruined by these love scenes.” Another excuse he could use is Lee is a holy monk (external) and is thus, prohibited from womanizing as this is one of the taboos of the Shaolin Temple."

15 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

Even the script for ETD (Blood and Steel) had extensive rewrites before proper filming actually started. 

Just to provide an example, here's a following quote of what could've been, courtesy of the greenbamboo forums.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/256969/message/1483775812

"In the original script, there is supposed to have a steamy scene where Lee Jun Keung and Mei Ling (Betty Chung) had a shower and love scene. But this was not shot. Unlike Roper and Williams who made love to the Han’s beautiful ladies, Bruce definitely would not allow his hero image be “ruined by these love scenes.” Another excuse he could use is Lee is a holy monk (external) and is thus, prohibited from womanizing as this is one of the taboos of the Shaolin Temple."

Here's another quote from that article by LJF.

The last being the original unedited Chinese version ETD that has never shown in the theatre before, which meant the one released and dubbed in Mandarin and the international English version ETD are both different versions from this one. According to Stephen, this original unedited Chinese version ETD footage contains some scenes which had not been shown in the cinema.

It strange how the the international version of ETD and TBB, have now become the standard versions released worldwide. When they prepared these films for international release, the newer cuts/prints then became the masters for all other releases. Meaning even H.K, had to put up with the shorter versions of ETD and TBB, for the home VHS/DVD/BR/Digital releases.

2 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

It strange how the the international version of ETD and TBB, have now become the standard versions released worldwide. When they prepared these films for international release, the newer cuts/prints then became the masters for all other releases. Meaning even H.K, had to put up with the shorter versions of ETD and TBB, for the home VHS/DVD/BR/Digital releases.

That wouldn't surprise me. I certainly don't doubt that, for instance, they filmed more love scenes for BB (No way they let all of that female talent go to waste) than what we currently know about.

And with ETD beimg a tournament film there's without a doubt plently more fights filmed but did nor make the cut because those did not involve the main cast in any way.

On 1/7/2018 at 7:47 PM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

And with ETD beimg a tournament film there's without a doubt plently more fights filmed but did nor make the cut because those did not involve the main cast in any way.

Always felt the tournament was the weakest part of the story, and it got lost a little, amongst the other plot lines and action. It would be cool to see more of the fighters, and the main cast have more than one scuffle. Maybe they needed a montage throwing into the movie, in order to do this?.

Edited by DragonClaws

Here's a still of one of more talked about/common missng Enter The Dragon scene. Most of this sequence appeared in the 1980 Golden Harvest Bruce Lee swan song, Game Of Death 2. Lee inspects his room, showing him dismissing Han's yellow Martial Arts uniform, and looking at his own book, laid on the desk.

BL696.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

Another shot, taken just beofre the second image. Note Peter Chan on the floor to the right, and Tony Liu to the far left.

bruce-lee-big-boss-saw-in-the-head-seen-

Here's a slightly larger colour version, of the saw in the head image, featured on the Singapore flyer for the Big Boss. This image is taken just seconds after the above one. The guy in the pale blue shirt is slightly blocking the impact of the saw. Tony Liu standing to the far left, is cropped off this image.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

3 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Anyone have their own theories regarding some of the missing Bruce Lee movie scenes?

I have a few to share, but lets hear from you first :tongueout also may as well include a second question: What are your theories in regards to Bruce Lee material that has yet to be uncovered?

On 1/24/2018 at 7:13 PM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

I have a few to share, but lets hear from you first :tongueout 

Shared most of my thoughts in the first post, working on a few more things which I'll hopefully add to that article in the future. I dont think the full length Big Boss is as elusive as its made out to be. I just don't think the Estate want to release the full length version, it might not sit well with the current image they present of Bruce Lee maybe?. Also it's only a handful of fans who want to see it, as bad as this sounds I think they'll probably sell more T-Shirtss, than they would a copy of the un-edited BB. Just a theory, it doesnt means that actually the case.

On 1/24/2018 at 7:13 PM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

What are your theories in regards to Bruce Lee material that has yet to be uncovered?

Thats a whole other story in itself, I feel legal rights and asking too much for footage, is what has kept a lot of stuff held back.

Edited by DragonClaws

On 1/24/2018 at 2:06 PM, DragonClaws said:

Anyone have their own theories regarding some of the missing Bruce Lee movie scenes?

Alright, so to answer your question.......as stated a few times before, it is my belief that BB has a mostly different running order as far as the storyline goes. We would've still had a final fight between Cheng and Hsiao Mi, but the events leading to that would've happened in another way. I still believe there are loads of other footage filmed under the original director that we have yet to see, and even with Lo Wei there are also probably other footage that is unknown to us. 

The same would also apply to Enter the Dragon. Especially because it's original script (Steel and Blood) was an almost completely different beast compared to the finished product.