DragonClaws

Missing In Action: Bruce Lee's Deleted Movie Scene's

4 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

What are the outlandish theories that you do remember? I am intrigued.

One that springs to mind, features a stranger at the brothel, the same time Cheng visits before facing the boss. When loud noises start coming from the room next door, the woman the stranger is with, opens a peep hole, then charges the guy to have a peek at Cheng and his lady of choice. Though I'm not sure if this rumour was started online, or if it was around before the forums/social media?.

2 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

One that springs to mind, features a stranger at the brothel, the same time Cheng visits before facing the boss. When loud noises start coming from the room next door, the woman the stranger is with, opens a peep hole, then charges the guy to have a peek at Cheng and his lady of choice. Though I'm not sure if this rumour was started online, or if it was around before the forums/social media?.

The scene was actually mentioned on Jason Hart's article. And it was also suggested that the "stranger" is actually the factory manager, and that the other lady is the same pink dress one that was seen in the previous brothel scene. It was also registered as existing by the Hong Kong Movie Censorship department, so it is definitely not a rumor.

Anything else you remember? It's okay if you g overboard and exaggerate, haha. 

7 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

The scene was actually mentioned on Jason Hart's article. And it was also suggested that the "stranger" is actually the factory manager, and that the other lady is the same pink dress one that was seen in the previous brothel scene. It was also registered as existing by the Hong Kong Movie Censorship department, so it is definitely not a rumor.

There might some truth to that scene then?, don't forget that some rumours can exist for that long, they become truths.

What happens to the factory worker?, did he just hide in the brohtel, while Cheng was on the rampage?.

I've not tried to remember most of the fan theoires etc, but like Game Of Death, there's a lot more BS, than actual facts. When it comes to talking about the missing scenes.

49 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Thats right, according to Weintraub, there was also footage of Lee's charracter on a motorbike. They just didnt have the equipment to caputre the footage effectively. Lee was being tossed around by the make-shift trailer, so they scrapped it in the editing room.

I didn't know that, (the possibility of Lee's character himself on a motorbike). I just assumed it was another way to film content while Bruce failed to show up to set.

3 minutes ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

I didn't know that, (the possibility of Lee's character himself on a motorbike). I just assumed it was another way to film content while Bruce failed to show up to set.

Thats exactly what I thought, until hearing this paticular Fred Weintruab interview, on the MediumRare Big Boss Blu-Ray. They may have filmed the motorbike scenes with woman handing out invites seperately?. I'm not sure else she woud be inviting? as all the main characters come from abroad anyway. Unless Tony Liu's character and some others were seen receiving their invites, in Hong Kong?.

They must have filmd a lot of non Bruce Lee footage, as he said they were filming for three weeks. Before they managed to get him on-set.

11 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

There might some truth to that scene then?, don't forget that some rumours can exist for that long, they become truths.

What happens to the factory worker?, did he just hide in the brohtel, while Cheng was on the rampage?.

I've not tried to remember most of the fan theoires etc, but like Game Of Death, there's a lot more BS, than actual facts. When it comes to talking about the missing scenes.

There is recorded documentation that it exists. At least personally I certainly don't doubt it's existence.

The movie never explains what happened to the Factory Manager, although it's no secret that Chih Chie (Who portrayed the character) feuded up with Lo Wei, hence his conspicuous absence. I'd say that yes, he hid there. I'd wager the Boss also did the same, hence his absence from the banquet sequence.

I enjoy listening about fan theories, if only because of how ridiculous they are. I just can't help myself!

10 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

The movie never explains what happened to the Factory Manager, although it's no secret that Chih Chie

Doesnt he also return in the sequel, playing a different character?, or is my memroy of Michael Worths BB2 write-up distorted?. I know the actor appeared in Bruce Lee The Man The Myth, during the Thai part of the film.

2 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Doesnt he also return in the sequel, playing a different character?, or is my memroy of Michael Worths BB2 write-up distorted?. I know the actor appeared in Bruce Lee The Man The Myth, during the Thai part of the film.

Chih Chie is the director for Big Boss Part 2 from 1976, but I have no idea if he also reprises his character. 

Rare footage wise guys....DT has found some on the set WOTD behind the scenes 8mm stuff! - Bruce Lee Lives Forum

I'm not sure what the source of this information is?, so dont get too excited just yet.

It's interesting that someone always just finds rare footage, I dont think all rare footage is a lost as some people say it is.

lee2-640x444.jpg

I spoke to My cousin once about the "Saw in the Head Scene". He clearly described and remember seeing it  back in the late 70's and is not someone who is computer savvy, or reads blogs, but old-school. I feel like I saw it on a VHS movie or something when I was a kid, but how? so I think it's a Mandela effect since It was cut way before I started popping VHS into the TV. Some one one (or) a few someones have to have this sitting around on their shelf. In A box with an old 70's super 8mm projector and a bunch of Kung fu films there sits a copy of The Big Boss with the uncut scenes... perhaps... Just maybe. 

W-0464c.jpgW-0463b.jpg

On 1/28/2018 at 12:12 PM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

I can only speak for myself, but I feel as if Lee is treated as a side character in the final product, in spite of being purportedly the protagonist. Much of the backstory on Lee Jun Keung (Which was present on the Blood and Steel scripts) was severely withered down and consequently we don't know a lot about him, and John Saxon ends up stealing the spotlight. 

I think it works better that there is more mystery surrounding him. 

On 1/28/2018 at 12:35 PM, DragonClaws said:

I think WB were unsure at the time if Lee could sell the movie on his own. Thats why he's not given centre stage treatment, like he got in FOF and WOTD. That said, his charisma and talents forced him into being the star of the movie regardless. They also made Lee the focus of the films theatrical poster and media campaigns.

Well, that, and John Saxon probably thought that he was the star of the show. haha. Well, he was the co-lead but my understanding is that he ended up taking more of the spotlight as the film progressed. I might be wrong. Just going by things that I have read regarding his role in the movie. But, I think that happens with a lot of stars though. 

On 2/7/2018 at 7:33 AM, DragonClaws said:

f212d010a7ed5bf0caacd57cda205b9b--bruce-

On the Way Of The Dragon balcony set, for Cheng Chen Hua's(Nora Miao) apartment. Was this just a stll from the making of the movie? or part of some unused footage?. Any Kung Fu Fandom readers/followers got any information on possible missing scenes?.

Well, doubt they would use that angle as it looks like the very top shows where they stopped painting (of the fake brick wall) and that weird cloth thing above Bruce`s head - perhaps used for lighting/shot blocking. 

I honestly think that Bruce would not only be shooting scenes but also doing publicity stills at the same time. So, it probably doesn't mean anything serious. But, one never knows. 

On 3/6/2018 at 1:11 PM, DragonClaws said:

I am wondering why Game of Death is not talked about in your thread? At least it is the one movie out of all of these where there is a lot of footage that really existed and was released. I think it was Bey Logan that took credit for "discovering" it or as he said on one of his commentaries/articles that someone at Media Asia showed it to him without realizing its value. He made them aware and that it is the only reason why it ever got released in the first place. It was such an amazing thing when that previously unseen 40 minute fight footage surfaced on dvd. That is still my favorite BL footage other than some of the ending for WOTD. And, there were outtakes of scenes for us too. So, I would imagine that there could be some more film containers of unseen footage somewhere. There is the outdoors footage that we have only seen snippets of in a couple of those Bruce docs and in pictures. What still exists? Supposedly there would be a scene in BL`s GOD where Bruce would watch a film showing these fighters and their skills ala the Lee Braithwaite hotel room scene from ETD. One question is though, was that scene thought of by Bruce or did he nick it for GOD or was it just a coincidence? Does anyone know what month the outdoor footage was filmed? My memory is that Bruce started filming GOD in August to October-ish and filmed up until or slightly after Christmas and then went straight into ETD after the new year (Feb/March?). I know that some of you guys will know the exact dates. But, it is interesting that an idea that Bruce supposedly had for GOD ended up in ETD. Cause, if he got the idea from the ETD script then that means that he was still shooting GOD during the making of ETD which would seem difficult perhaps. I wish I could remember the dates better. Since I have read so much stuff about Bruce over the years, it is hard for me to remember exactly where I have read some of this stuff at. Otherwise, I would go back to the source and I could quote something more specifically. 

Edited by reason108

On 16/03/2018 at 2:00 AM, reason108 said:

I am wondering why Game of Death is not talked about in your thread?

Good question, with the movie never being completed and the fact it such a big deal with fans, I felt it deserved it's own thread.

On 16/03/2018 at 2:00 AM, reason108 said:

What still exists? Supposedly there would be a scene in BL`s GOD where Bruce would watch a film showing these fighters and their skills ala the Lee Braithwaite hotel room scene from ETD. One question is though, was that scene thought of by Bruce or did he nick it for GOD or was it just a coincidence?

Another good question, I think it's just a coincidence that he planned to use a similar scene in GOD. The pogoda in GOD was also on an island similar to Hans island?, both forbid firearms too. Which is why Lee uses nunchakuk with a cord, rather than chain in GOD. So he cold smuggle the weapon passed the metal detectors, around the island. It's said that the some of New Teritories footage, of which mostly remians un-released, was to be used as the footage on the projector. 

On 15/03/2018 at 9:07 PM, TheFlyingPanda said:

so I think it's a Mandela effect since It was cut way before I started popping VHS into the TV. Some one one (or) a few someones have to have this sitting around on their shelf. In A box with an old 70's super 8mm projector and a bunch of Kung fu films there sits a copy of The Big Boss with the uncut scenes... perhaps... Just maybe.

Cool post @TheFlyingPanda, The longer print exists in the hands of private collectors for sure, there's no longer any doubt about that.

Edited by DragonClaws

Cheng picks out a lady, from the local Thai Love Hut. There's a few of images from this scene online, and they look like a screen captures to me, but I might be wrong?.

He looks to be pointing at the girl on the end, but it's actually selecting the woman second from the left, as she appears in some rare snippets of footage, featured in the now well known Manderin trialer.

45e99aa0b49dc911de9d220a64461288.jpg

Spot the typos in this old English promo forThe Big Boss, and some samples from the rejected first Enlgish dub.

Edited by DragonClaws

Cheng picks out a lady, from the local Thai Love Hut. There's a few of images from this scene online, and they look like a screen captures to me, but I might be wrong?.

I giggled at the "Thai Love Hut" part :tongueout

As for your question, judging from this more pristine pic, I'd say they're actual photos taken in the set. 

gtboss2forum.jpg

He looks to be pointing at the girl on the end, but it's actually selecting the woman second from the left, as she appears in some rare snippets of footage, featured in the now well known Manderin trialer.

The chick on the end seems like she'd be the perfect sort of mature, experienced lady to get the best out of Cheng. 

Any opinions on the pic below?

9h0zbtR.jpg

I giggled at the "Thai Love Hut" part :tongueout

As for your question, judging from this more pristine pic, I'd say they're actual photos taken in the set.

Any opinions on the pic below?

You are right, I didnt know the image had been blurred on purpose. You often used to see the more rarer images cropped, shrunk or blurred, before people would share them online.

The other picture just looks ike its been given the same blurring effect.

A large and better qulaity version, of an image I posted earlier in this thread, anohter possible missing scene from the Big Boss?.

BL934.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

3 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

A large and better qulaity verion, of an image I posted earlier in this thread, anohter possible missing scene from the Big Boss?.

I'd assume it's an alternate/extended shot of Cheng and his uncle getting into an actual fight (in the factory scene that happens right after Cheng's happy night drunk out in the cathouse).

5 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

I'd assume it's an alternate/extended shot of Cheng and his uncle getting into an actual fight (in the factory scene that happens right after Cheng's happy night drunk out in the cathouse).

Not sure on that one, Ah Kun was berated Cheng for getting drunk etc, so why would he hold him back from the workers. If it's even the worker's he's hodng him back from. Maybe it's just a behind the scene picture?.

Edited by DragonClaws

1 minute ago, DragonClaws said:

Not sure on that one, Ah Kun was berated Cheng for getting drunk etc, so why would he hold him back from the workers. If it's even the worker's he's hodng him back from. Maybe it's just a behind the scene picture?.

Wonder if they deduced Cheng got drunk and simply forgot about them, or Chiao Mei told them about the "something else" that she saw a few hours prior? Either way there are several contexts that one can interpret with that pic in particular.

12 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

Wonder if they deduced Cheng got drunk and simply forgot about them, or Chiao Mei told them about the "something else" that she saw a few hours prior?

Maybe, sure there were scenes that they filmed, that were not used, and never appeared in any of the released prints.

8 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

Which scenes do you personally think they filmed but were not ultimately included in the final product?

I honestly don't know dude, but it's all part of the filming process, some movies have more deleted scene than others, sometimes smaller budget films cant afford to shoot anything, that wont be incuded or used.

27 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I honestly don't know dude, but it's all part of the filming process, some movies have more deleted scene than others, sometimes smaller budget films cant afford to shoot anything, that wont be incuded or used.

How different the final product would've been if Lo Wei had been on the directing helm right from the start as opposed to midway?

5 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

How different the final product would've been if Lo Wei had been on the directing helm right from the start as opposed to midway?

I'm sure it would have been much smoother looking final product. That said, without actualy watching the longer print, its hard to fully judge the version Lo Wei ended up completing. Then there's the question of, what did he actual film. Did he discard any stuff that had already been filmed.