DragonClaws

Missing In Action: Bruce Lee's Deleted Movie Scene's

On 1/25/2018 at 9:08 PM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

The same would also apply to Enter the Dragon. Especially because it's original script (Steel and Blood) was an almost completely different beast compared to the finished product.

Don't forget their were re-writes in regards to ETD, Michael Allin and the Little Dragon didnt always see eye to eye. Some say Allin was deliberately putting a  lot of R's, in the movie script, becuase he knew Lee strugged to pronounce the letter at times. That said, I'm sure there stuff they filmed but later changed their minds about using. If they ever released an extended version, they would have to include the theatrical print, that is the version we all know. At least us fans who were born before the release of the 1998 red-dux.

Do you think the following images were scrapped scenes from The Big Boss?.

bruce-lee-die-todesfaust-des-cheng-li-2-

Pic-5-Bruce-Lees-Father-giving-the-tradi

Edited by DragonClaws

11 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Do you think the following images were scrapped scenes from The Big Boss?.

There is another promo shot of Cheng wearing a brown jacket whilst dueling Hsiao Mi. Also I personally believe that Third Uncle was originally meant to stick around for far longer in the storyline (possibly getting killed along with the rest of the family).

On 1/27/2018 at 12:50 AM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

There is another promo shot of Cheng wearing a brown jacket whilst dueling Hsiao Mi.

Maybe it was a rehearsal shot?, sometime since I saw that particular image.

Edited by DragonClaws

A colourized lobby card, done 1970's style. Anohter missing clip form the final fight?, or a discarded ideae never intended for the final cut?.

bb2.jpg

This cut sequence has been discussed among fans, and I think it may have also been mentioned in the Jason Hart article too?.

1970s-Bruce-Lee-The-Big-Boss-_1.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

3 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

A colourized lobby card, done 1970's style. Anohter missing clip form the final fight?, ir a discarded a scene never intended for the final cut?

This cut sequence has been discussed among fans, and I think it may have also been mentioned in the Jason Hart article too?.

Interesting that Cheng is using his short-sleeve shirt on that first shot, whereas he used the long-sleeve one in the fight on the finished product.

Speaking of the final fight, I don't remember if it was on IMDB or another BL forum that I read this but the original ending was a lot less dramatic, in that Cheng kills the boss, and just walks out of the mansion, severely battered, but able to leave. No mention of Chiao Mei, but apparently she was supposed to die along with the rest of her family.

On 1/28/2018 at 6:34 PM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

Interesting that Cheng is using his short-sleeve shirt on that first shot, whereas he used the long-sleeve one in the fight on the finished product.

Well spotted, they were probably just practicing or staging it for the non movie cameras?. Or did Cheng and the big boss have a brief spar at some point in the movie?.

Edited by DragonClaws

5 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Well spotted, they were probably just practicing or staging it for the non movie cameras. Or did Cheng and the big boss have a brief spar at some point in the movie?.

More than likely the Boss wanted to test Cheng's skills as a fighter. Would've taken place during the sequence when Cheng decides ti inwuire the boss by himself.

Also another note from the "original" ending: Cheng would've been assisted in leaving the mansion by one of the girls. One of Hsiao Mi's slaves or the 2nd prostitute, perhaps? 

On 1/28/2018 at 6:53 PM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

More than likely the Boss wanted to test Cheng's skills as a fighter. Would've taken place during the sequence when Cheng decides ti inwuire the boss by himself.

That would have been a good scene to have included, with Mi offering Chen a demonstration of his skills.

Changing subjects slightly, do you think the monk scene in ETD would have worked better elswhere in the movie?. It kind of slows the pace at the start of the movie, would it have worked better as a flashback laer in the film?.

00221917e13e0e5a81df01.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

2 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Changing subjects slightly, do you think the monk scene in ETD would have worked better elswhere in the movie?. It kind of slows the pace at the start of the movie, would it have worked better as a flashback laer in the film?.

I can only speak for myself, but I feel as if Lee is treated as a side character in the final product, in spite of being purportedly the protagonist. Much of the backstory on Lee Jun Keung (Which was present on the Blood and Steel scripts) was severely withered down and consequently we don't know a lot about him, and John Saxon ends up stealing the spotlight. 

On 1/28/2018 at 7:12 PM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

I can only speak for myself, but I feel as if Lee is treated as a side character in the final product, in spite of being purportedly the protagonist. Much of the backstory on Lee Jun Keung (Which was present on the Blood and Steel scripts) was severely withered down and consequently we don't know a lot about him, and John Saxon ends up stealing the spotlight. 

I think Warner Brothers were unsure at the time if Lee could sell the movie on his own?. Thats why he's not given centre stage treatment, like he got in FOF and WOTD. That said, his charisma and talents forced him into being the star of the movie regardless. They also made Lee the focus of the films theatrical poster and media campaigns.

Edited by DragonClaws

Just now, DragonClaws said:

I think WB were unsure at the time if Lee could sell the movie on his own. Thats why he's not given centre stage treatment, like he got in FOF and WOTD. That said, his charisma and talents forced him into being the star of the movie regardless. They also made Lee the focus of the films theatrical poster and media campaigns.

IMO the movie would've been even better if they had showcased more traits of Lee's character in the movie. What he did for a living, a brief background into his life and how he joined the Shaolin temple etc; all of which I believe were described on the original script. While I don't think the planned love scene from said script was necessary, it might've helped if just to show that his character wasn't as flawless as the movie made it out to be, intentionally or not.

On 1/28/2018 at 7:40 PM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

IMO the movie would've been even better if they had showcased more traits of Lee's character in the movie. What he did for a living, a brief background into his life and how he joined the Shaolin temple etc; all of which I believe were described on the original script. While I don't think the planned love scene from said script was necessary, it might've helped if just to show that his character wasn't as flawless as the movie made it out to be, intentionally or not.

The scene were the Old Man at the temple tells Mr Lee about his sister's death, was trimmed down. Originally the old Man walks in on Lee writing, and the two have a longer conversation. Some of this footage appears in GOD 2. I think his character works better with more mystery about him.

Edited by DragonClaws

Not exactly a missing clip, but it's curious that the Thai lady in the pink dress (seen during Cheng's 2nd visit to the brothel)  was apparently a regular acquaintance of the BB behind-the-scenes team, even taking a picture flirting with a shirtless Bruce. It would suggest that she originally had, ahem, a bigger "role" in the movie.

Ec8S7Kk.jpg

On 1/28/2018 at 8:00 PM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

It would suggest that she originally had, ahem, a bigger "role" in the movie.

A bigger role behind the scenes? or infront of the camera lol.

Edited by DragonClaws

On 1/29/2018 at 6:59 PM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

Why not both? :tongueout

I bet that lady had some stories to tell about the making of the movie, thats all I'm saying on the subject.

Back tosubject of missing Bruce Lee movie scenes.

Edited by DragonClaws

un-cropped version, of a Big Boss photo I posted earlier in the thread. Han Ying Cheih and Lee try out some kicking ideas with the trampoline.

3705be3fe4bd9580bfba0d5cbf4716f7--bruce-

Edited by DragonClaws

f212d010a7ed5bf0caacd57cda205b9b--bruce-

On the Way Of The Dragon balcony set, for Cheng Chen Hua's(Nora Miao) apartment. Was this just a still from the making of the movie? or part of some unused footage?. Any Kung Fu Fandom readers/followers got any information on possible missing scenes?.

Edited by DragonClaws

On 2/7/2018 at 6:33 PM, Phantom Dreamer said:

He looks like he's posing so I have always assumed it's just a pic and not related to any footage.

Good point, but he's also posing in all of the stills taken from the balcony footage too.

Edited by DragonClaws

45 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Good point, but he's also posing in all the stlls of balcony footage, that actualy appears in the movie.

Good point, Way of the Dragon is a movie where there are scenes of Lee literally flexing so you never know.

On 2/7/2018 at 8:08 PM, Phantom Dreamer said:

Good point, Way of the Dragon is a movie where there are scenes of Lee literally flexing so you never know.

Chuck Norris and Bob Wall spent four days in Rome with Lee right?. If that is the case, they may have shot more footage featuring those two?. Or maybe Lee didnt know they would not be allowed to film the final fight on location, before he envited the pair over to Rome. This is just specuation on my part, as we don't have anything to back this up. I just wish I had a scan of the 90's fanzine report, that talked about some of the newly discovered WOTD footage.

Edited by DragonClaws

16 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Chuck Norris and Bob Wall spent four days in Rome with Lee right?. If that is the case, they may have shot more footage featuring those two?. Or maybe Lee didnt know they would not be allowed to film the final fight on location, before he envited the pair over to Rome. This is just specuation on my part, as we don't have anything to back this up. I just wish I had a scan of the 90's fanzine report, that talked about some of the newly discovered WOTD footage.

I read somewhere that Lee was annoyed Wall showed up in Rome when none of his scenes were shot there, but Wall has claimed he helped arrange for filming in the Colosseum.

On 2/7/2018 at 8:33 PM, Phantom Dreamer said:

I read somewhere that Lee was annoyed Wall showed up in Rome when none of his scenes were shot there, but Wall has claimed he helped arrange for filming in the Colosseum.

He was quoted as saying he invited himself along, and Lee created a part for him. I've read a number of stories about how they got to film at the Colosseum. Some even saying they didn't ever actually get permission, which would explian the poorly shot footage, they filmed there. Due to the age of the ruin, its a place thats always getting restored, or having areas cut off from the public, for safety reasons. Sure Lee wanted to film in one of the areas that happened to be closed off at the time?.

Edited by DragonClaws