I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
AlbertV

Pro Wrestling Thread 2018

It's that time...it's a new year so here comes a new Pro Wrestling thread!

Enzo Amore was sent to the hospital hours before he was set to appear on Raw to defend the Cruiserweight Title against Cedric Alexander. It's not a storyline and Amore posted the photo of himself on Instagram. Alexander teamed up with Goldust last night to take on Drew Gulak and Ariya Daivari.

It was a Bullet Club reunion last night as Finn Balor joined forces with Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows, successfully defeating Elias and The Miztourage on Raw.

It is looking like Carmella and real-life boyfriend Big Cass have split. She recently removed all references from her Instagram account and stopped following him on Twitter.

Here's the card for Thursday's NJPW WrestleKingdom 12

– IWGP Heavyweight Title Match: IWGP Champion Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito

– IWGP IC Title Match: IWGP IC Champion Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Jay “Switchblade” White

– No DQ IWGP US Title Match: IWGP US Champion Kenny Omega vs. Chris Jericho

– IWGP Tag Team Title Match: IWGP Tag Team Champions The Killer Elite Squad vs. EVIL & SANADA

– Hair Vs. Hair NEVER Openweight Title Match NEVER Openweight Champion Minoru Suzuki vs. Hirooki Goto

– IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match: IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion Marty Scurll vs. KUSHIDA vs. Will Ospreay vs. Hiromu Takahashi

– IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag TeamTitle Match: IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champions Roppongi 3K vs. The Young Bucks

Cody vs. Kota Ibushi

Congratulations go out to Sara Lee (former Tough Enough winner) and boyfriend Wesley Blake (currently on the NXT roster) on their marriage this past weekend in Titusville, FL.

Stu Bennett may possibly be a surprise entrant at this year's WWE Royal Rumble if what he said in a recent Instagram post is true.

This past weekend also marked the indie wrestling debut of Brian Pillman Jr., who was successful in his match against Jonathan Wolf. He was trained by Lance Storm.

With Dolph Ziggler relinquishing the United States title, tonight marks the first night of the WWE U.S. Title Tournament. One match set will pit Xavier Woods and Aiden English.

It will also be AJ Styles seeking retribution from last week's Smackdown! Live when he faces Sami Zayn in a non-title match.

The Usos will also face the team of Shelton Benjamin and Chad Gable for the Smackdown Tag Team Titles.

Edited by AlbertV

On SmackDown Live, Xavier Woods defeated Aiden English last night and advances to the U.S. Championship Tournament and will face Jinder Mahal next. Next week, Mojo Rawley will face his former tag team partner turned arch enemy Zack Ryder.

Becky Lynch made her return to SmackDown, helping Charlotte and Naomi teach the Riott Squad a lesson after the Riott Squad defeated Tamina, Carmella, and Natalya. Lynch recently shot her film debut, the next installment in the Marine film series, Close Quarters.

At the Royal Rumble, AJ Styles will defend his WWE Heavyweight Championship in a Handicap match against Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens.

Enzo Amore has been hospitalized with the flu. Kurt Angle has pulled Enzo from the upcoming Mixed Match Challenge. In relation to that, it was announced that Beth Phoenix-Copeland will return as a commentator for the event.

TJP returned to 205 Live after being injured with a knee injury back in October, defeating Akira Tozawa.

ROH confirmed four more participants for the Women of Honor championship tournament. They are Kagetsu, HZK, Hana Kimura and Mayu Iwatani. All are from the Japanese promotion Stardom.

Two of WWE's upcoming Mixed Match Challenge teams have been announced:

• WWE Raw Women's Champion Alexa Bliss and Braun Strowman
  • WWE Smackdown Live Women's Champion Charlotte Flair and Bobby Roode

Kenny Omega retained the NJPW U.S. Title against Chris Jericho

The Young Bucks won the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team titles against Roppongi 3K

Will Ospreay won the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title against Marty Scrull, Hiromu Takahashi, and KUSHIDA

EVIL and SANADA won the IWGP Tag Team Championship against Killer Elite Squad

Beretta, Toru Yano, and Tomohiro Ishii won the NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship in a Gauntlet Match

Ricochet and Tessa Blanchard were backstage at Smackdown's tapings, fueling speculation that both may be headed to WWE soon.

Edited by AlbertV

Chris Jericho is 47 years old and still performs much better than a lot of superstars half his age. He give a great performance when needed, he is great in the ring as well as great on the mike.

Two more teams announced for the WWE Mixed Match Challenge

Finn Balor will be teamed up with Sasha Banks

Rusev will be teamed up with real-life wife Lana

Justin Credible was on Sean Waltman's podcast and talked about not adapting to the new WWE after his ECW run and his most recent incident, which led him to WWE-sponsored rehab and Diamond Dallas Page:

"In ECW,  I felt really comfortable because we were kind of allowed to just do our own thing and the pressure weren’t on. But I never could adapt to WWE and it wasn’t because of WWE. I think I still carried that Aldo Montoya thing,  where I was still the young boy and I always felt that. I took it too far where I wanted to show respect and humility. But I took it to a level where it sounded like, I was beating myself up and it didn’t serve me well. And I really lacked confidence. Anytime I went up there really. You know?  And that’s a me thing. I caused that. Nobody else did."

"This all happened so quick. I was actually doing stuff with Dallas (DDP) prior to this. Just not to this level we were communicating. It’s funny this came through a third party and somebody reached out to Dallas like, “Hey, can you get a hold of PJ?”, and Dallas was like, “I’m already talking to him.”, Long story short a gentleman by the name of Douglas Cartelli. Who works with pro athletes… He is actually going to sponsor me and send me to Atlanta to Dallas’s (DDP) after I have thirty days of clean time to go down there and to go through his program… And because of that, they’re thinking of pairing with this director locally who does documentaries and other films, to possibly shoot a documentary about this whole journey of recovery and hopefully redemption really. It’s a real cool opportunity and at the end of the journey this  Douglas wants to open up a facility to train athletes in wellness from all walks of life. So something in Connecticut and kind of wants me to be one the professionals in that facility."

Dylan Postl was the recent subject of WWE's Where Are They Now? He lives in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, where he formed his own indie wrestling promotion, ACW Wisconsin Wrestling and is a dad as well. Glad to see after WWE and his time in Impact that he's doing quite well.

Edited by AlbertV

NJPW New Year's Dash was chaos as usual with the kicking off of 2018's storylines.

Roppongi3K challenged the Young Bucks to a rematch. Minoru Suzuki will face Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Intercontinental title in the future. Katsuya Kitamura had the first of seven "proving" matches but lost to Switchblade Jay White. Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa won back the NEVER Openweight Trios titles from Beretta, Yano Toru, and Tomohiro Ishii. Then came some infighting between Kenny Omega and Cody Rhodes:

After things settled down, Omega invited Switchblade to join Bullet Club. He answered by laying Omega out with the Blade Runner and presumably has a IWGP US title shot now. To close out the show, LIJ beat Chaos and brawled afterwards meaning Hiromu Takahashi will face Will Ospreay for the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight title, Evil challenged Hirooki Goto for the NEVER Openweight title, and Sanada is Kazuchika Okada's next IWGP World Heavyweight title defense. Naito began to cut a promo to end the show but...

Here are the teams announced so far for WWE's Mixed Match Challenge

• Alexa Bliss and Braun Strowman
  • Charlotte Flair and Bobby Roode
  • Sasha Banks and Finn Balor
  • Lana and Rusev
  • Naomi and Jimmy Uso
  • Nia Jax and Enzo Amore
  • Asuka and The Miz
  • Alicia Fox and Goldust
  • Bayley and Elias
  • Natalya and Shinsuke Nakamura
  • Becky Lynch and Sami Zayn
  • Carmella and Big E of the New Day
Edited by AlbertV

Updated last post as Natalya's teammate for the MMC is found

Samoa Joe  was almost Bayley's partner for the MMC but on RAW, he injured his foot and will be unable to compete. So it will now be Elias who will team up with her.

John Hennigan recently talked about lifelong friend Matt Cappotelli, who now has terminal brain cancer and has five years left according to doctors and the success of The Miz, who was voted Rolling Stone's WWE Superstar of 2017

“Matt Cappotelli and I are lifelong friends. I haven’t been able to remain in touch with the rest of the cast, but last time I saw Matt, I specifically went to OVW and had gone that way for a Bachelor party and ended up having lunch with Matt after spending several days in Louisville, and till this day he is one of the most positive people I have ever known, and he has suffered more hardship than anybody. He recently got more bad news about his brain cancer coming back. My mind is with him a lot of times. If I had a bad day where I lose my keys or something, I think about Matt and suddenly my problems aren’t as bad as I originally thought.”

“I’ve always been a big fan of the Miz. I think one of the biggest keys to his success is that he has always been emphatically himself, and because of that he is really authentic, so when you watch him you feel something. It’s not always true for people in the business, especially for those who don’t know who they are as a person themselves sometimes, and it feels like you are just watching a show. The Miz has done a really good job as always truly being himself on and off camera. When we first started tagging he knew that he really needed to step up, which he has done. It is really cool to see him step up.”

Speaking of The Miz, USA has greeelit a new reality series to feature both The Miz and his wife Maryse. The series will only be six episodes and will revolve around the couple as they prepare to become parents for the 1st time.

Raw is gearing up for a 25th Anniversary episode on January 22nd and confirmed to appear are:

• Stone Cold Steve Austin
  • The Undertaker
  • D-Generation X
  • Jim Ross
  • Jerry Lawler
  • The Dudley Boyz
  • Ric Flair
  • Scott Hall and Kevin Nash
  • The Bella Twins
  • The New Age Outlaws
  • Ron Simmons (We better get a "DAMN!" outta him LOL)
  • JBL
  • The Godfather
  • The Boogeyman
  • Sgt. Slaughter
  • John Laurinaitis
  • Brother Love (Bruce Prichard)
  • Teddy Long

On Impact Wrestling, LAX (Santana and Ortiz) are the new World Tag Team Champions defeating OVE.

Taiji Ishimori is the new X-Division Champion defeating Trevor Lee

Eli Drake is still the Global Champion defeating Alberto El Patron

Chandler Park, cousin of Joseph Park, won his debut match on Impact Wrestling.

James Storm competed in his final match for Impact Wrestling, losing to Dan Lambert. Rumors have been fueling he may end up going to WWE but will start with some indie bookings first.

Allie is the #1 contender for the Knockouts Championship and will face champion Laurel Van Ness

Edited by AlbertV

Breaking News! Matt Hardy now owns the right to use the "Broken" gimmick! Hardy and Anthem have finally made an agreement that will allow Hardy to become "Broken" and Jeff Hardy, who is currently recovering from an injury, to eventually be able to once again become "Brother Nero".

I am thrilled to PROCLAIM that we have ACQUIRED new ALLIES on our side of #TheGreatWar. Ed Nordholm & The Owl of Anthem have revealed themselves as MAJESTIC beings who stand on the side of the LIGHT.

The LIGHT always EMERGES, #WOKENWarriors.

Everything is COPASETIC & WONDERFUL! pic.twitter.com/bL6fN4cjnE

NJPW announced an Australian tour.

DTFbNVHWAAE4eI-.jpg

While that is going on, Yuji Nagata will be working an AJPW show and Tetsuya Naito will be in America. Nagata will tag with Jun Akiyama and challenge All Asia Tag champs Naoya Nomura and Yuma Aoyagi. Naito will face Michael Elgin in Dayton, Ohio for Pro Wrestling Revolver, Sami Callihan in Chicago for AAW and AR Fox (LU's Dante Fox) in St. Louis for Glory Pro. 

On January 17th, Will Ospreay will face Pete Dunne for UK promotion IPW. This marks the first time an IWGP champ faces a WWE champ since Hulk Hogan vs the Great Muta (5/3/1993).

Cody Rhodes and the Young Bucks released an official date of September 1st for their self-funded show All In. Hangman Page, Marty Scurll, comedian/wrestler Stephen Amell and Kenny Omega all confirmed their involvement. The location will be revealed on an upcoming episode of Being the Elite.

Yesterday, Michael Elgin released an official apology for the mishandling of a sexual assault complaint against a wrestler that worked for his promotion Glory Pro.

Brian Cage showed up for this month's tapings of Impact! Wrestling.

ReyMysterio-e1432251057984.jpg

Rey Misterio Jr and IMPACT wrestling are currenlty in tlaks with each other about a possibly working together in the future.

9f8d20d26esamoajoe.jpg

More bad luck in WWE for Samoa Joe, who recently injured his ankle during a T.V taping.

Triple H recently had dinner with Ronda Rousey to play catch-up and admits she is interested in joining WWE, but nothing has been made official as of yet.

“We caught up, had dinner and had some conversations, but we have nothing to announce at this time. As we’ve said, she’s interested in what we do, she loves it. We are interested in her as a human being even. She’s a fascinating person and an intense, incredible athlete. So we’ll see.”

Moose injured his knee during last night's Impact Wrestling taping. It is believed he has not torn anything but nothing has been made official. And also at last night's tapings, Austin Aries not only returned but defeated Eli Drake to become the new Global Champion.

So if you haven't heard by now, Finn Balor has reunited with Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson with their group called The Balor Club, in which they are using the "Too Sweet" move. Balor was the founder of the Bullet Club, so while the current Bullet Club can't use the "too sweet" gesture due to a cease and desist, we now know why that was done. Balor Club defeated Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, and Jason Jordan on Raw this past Monday. AJ Styles was asked whether he would join Balor Club, but obviously he's on SmackDown but he did say, "If I could look into the future or try to predict things. I’d like to think that maybe we can all be together doing something. At some point. But you never know where things are going to lead, but right now I’m very interested in what I’m seeing.”

Shayna Baszler made her debut on NXT last night, defeating Dakota Kai, inuring her arm badly

The latest on Rich Swann is that he still is suspended and Triple H and Stephanie McMahon are waiting to get official legal word before they take their action. If he is convicted, he will be immediately terminated from WWE.

Gabe Sapolsky is gearing up to sign a contract as a consultant with WWE but will still retain his position at WWNLive, the parent company of EVOLVE.

In what could be considered a bit of a shock, NJPW owner Takaaki Kidani has expressed interest in potentially starting a relationship with WWE.

So what's the latest with Neville? According to Dave Meltzer, it is looking like Neville wants to get out of his contract, but WWE are not budging and as a result, they may just make him wait until his contract is up, in which afterwards, Neville cannot join any rival company for 90 days per the non-compete clause in his contract.

Edited by AlbertV

1 hour ago, AlbertV said:

And also at last night's tapings, Austin Aries not only returned but defeated Eli Drake to become the new Global Champion.

Do you think we should have spoiler alerts for some Wrestling news?. I wont see the latest IMPACT until over the weekend, but now I know whats going to happen in the main event. I dont understand wrestling fans need to know results, before they've even aired on T.V. Its like watching a new T.V series or movie, when you already know how its going to end.

3 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Do you think we should have spoiler alerts for some Wrestling news?. I wont see the latest IMPACT until over the weekend, but now I know whats going to happen in the main event. I dont understand wrestling fans need to know results, before they've even aired on T.V. Its like watching a new T.V series or movie, when you already know how its going to end.

It was already mentioned their official website: http://impactwrestling.com/wtf/

but you make a good point. I don't know why Impact would already post the news on this extreme short notice.

Edited by AlbertV

3 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

Very odd if you ask me, it's like an official T.V Show or movie site, revealing all their key plot points.

1 hour ago, AlbertV said:

Triple H recently had dinner with Ronda Rousey to play catch-up and admits she is interested in joining WWE, but nothing has been made official as of yet.

“We caught up, had dinner and had some conversations, but we have nothing to announce at this time. As we’ve said, she’s interested in what we do, she loves it. We are interested in her as a human being even. She’s a fascinating person and an intense, incredible athlete. So we’ll see.”

WWE have looked at how popular Ronda Rousey is and they've seen Dollar signs, if she doesnt appear at this years Wrestlemania, it could be next years.

Or maybe they'll copy IMPACT story ine regarding the MMA club, thats invaded the promotion. Only have Rousey lead an all female team, instead of a male one.