I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
DiP

The VIDEO GAME Thread

Ghost of Tsushima (PS4) is one i'm keeping an eye on, there's only been a short trailer so far but getting to play as a ninja/samurai in feudal Japan sounds cool, perhaps the next gen Tenchu that many of us have waited for. Spiderman should be worth getting and i'm also looking forward to the Street Fighter 30th anniversary collection recently announced that includes just about every version of SF made.

7 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Shenmue 3... though that might not be until '19

I hope for remasters of the earlier games since I never played the Dreamcast originals.

I'm also waiting for the Resident Evil 2 remake which may happen in 2018 --- most likely in 2019 seeing as there's no news since it was announced two years ago but who knows --- as well.

Edited by DiP

Me too, never played the first one. But Shenmue 2 on original xbox is one of my best and most immersive gaming experiences of my life and fondest gaming memory ever. Just hearing the music fills me with the warm breeze of nostalgia and can make me choke up a little. I really hope part 3 delivers, but I'm trying to keep expectations reasonably low. I have never been as disppointed with the way gaming is going as with this gen of consoles, so I'm not getting caught in any hype anymore.

Yakuza 6 (still finishing Yakuza 0), Monster Hunter World, Dynasty Warriors 9 and Ghost of Tsushima. I know Yakuza 6 won't have anything but hopefully the others will be void of "necessary" DLC and microtransactions.

Bought the Mega Man Legacy Collections (containing all 10 games in the original series) for PS4 a few days ago, and found out that there's a new installment coming out in Q3 or Q4 of 2018. The different look of the gameplay as well as the absence of the franchise's original creator raises the question: Will this be any good? 

Also, the Mega Man X series will be ported for all current consoles this coming summer!

Edited by DiP

I want the limited edition of Yakuza 6 but it's not definite being that I own the Japanese original. BTW, the remake of Yakuza 2 is excellent. Look for it perhaps at the end of 2018 at the earliest.

Definite purchases for me at this point: Hokuto ga Gotoku (Fist of the North Star, using the Yakuza engine!), Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection, Dynasty Warriors 9, Ghost of Tsushima.

@HyperDrive, Yakuza 6 only has the free DLC updates that come bundled with the patches. Well, the Japanese version had 'cards' available on the PSN store, that were usable in the Clan Creator mini game. The purchasable cards were a higher level than anything you could access in game, if I recall. But they weren't anything you needed to play the mini game. The cards that were obtainable in game are more than enough.

3 hours ago, Asmo said:

the remake of Yakuza 2 is excellent. Look for it perhaps at the end of 2018 at the earliest.

It took about two years for both Y0 and the first Kiwami to get localized in the west so it will most likely apply for Kiwami 2. But I hope you're right as I don't wanna wait that long.

Edited by DiP

True, but I'm basing that on how the rough release schedule has been. 0 at the beginning of the year, Kiwami, midway through. 6 comes out in March, so Kiwami 2 might be around October at the earliest.

23 hours ago, DiP said:

The Shenmue games will be re-released for PS4, XBO, and PC later this year. Keep in mind that these won't be HD remasters.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/shenmue-1-and-2-announced-for-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc-/1100-6458239/

I don't know why Sega didn't release a HD remaster of them about a decade ago?  Since the fan base has been very eager for that for years.

Maybe they didn't care about what their fans wanted as much as they do now?

Anyway, HD or not I'm glad they are making them available again on modern consoles. That's better than nothing.

Edited by DiP

From http://kungfukingdom.com/9-monkeys-of-shaolin-trailer-arrives/ - "Old-school video game brawling action comes to head-to-head with ancient Shaolin legend in the upcoming video game, "9 Monkeys of Shaolin".  Set to make its console and PC debut this coming autumn, the game has debuted its official trailer online after making a splash at the recent Game Developers Conference."

“As a mere Chinese fisherman, Wei Cheng, you have to avenge the death of your friends and family slaughtered in a pirate raid at your peaceful village. Game protagonist is quite a tough nut to crack as he knows the basics of ancient martial arts only mastered by legendary Shaolin monks. Get your trusty battle staff ready for a challenging adventure in Medieval China and for merciless fights with hordes of various enemies. Action-packed battles, user-friendly controls and incredible atmosphere of great kung-fu movies of the 70’s – all makes 9 Monkeys of Shaolin a perfect choice for every true fan of really hardcore brawlers.”  

"You can see what powerful kung fu action '9 Monkeys of Shaolin' has to offer below" -

Amidst the western releases of Yakuza 6 and soon Yakuza: Kiwami 2, Sega recently announced that Yakuza 3-5 will be getting the HD remaster treatment (will run in 60 fps and full 1080p) and releases have been set in Japan for the following: August 9 (part 3), Fall 2018 (part 4), and Spring 2019 (part 5). No word on western localization yet.

https://gematsu.com/2018/05/yakuza-3-4-and-5-remasters-announced-for-ps4

Edited by DiP

On 4/23/2018 at 6:01 AM, DiP said:

Maybe they didn't care about what their fans wanted as much as they do now?

Anyway, HD or not I'm glad they are making them available again on modern consoles. That's better than nothing.

As someone who loves the Yakuza series, but never played either Shenmue, do you think I'd enjoy the re-release?

The Shenmue games paved the way for action RPGs, the Yakuza franchise in particular. So if you favor this type of games then I don't see how you wouldn't enjoy the re-releases. I myself never played them during that time they were big but I would love to try them out and see what they are all about.

13 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I see them often mentioned together, but to me, they're nothing alike apart from being Japanese and open world-ish. 

11 hours ago, DiP said:

The Shenmue games paved the way for action RPGs, the Yakuza franchise in particular. So if you favor this type of games then I don't see how you wouldn't enjoy the re-releases. I myself never played them during that time they were big but I would love to try them out and see what they are all about.

Thank you both for the input. @TibetanWhiteCrane, even if they're nothing alike (to you) do you still think I'd enjoy them? I'll likely pick the collection up anyway, it's at a reduced price point so it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.