KUNG FU BOB

BLACK MASK- Special Edition Blu-ray from TVP

I'm very happy to share this, and to be a part of TVP- The Vengeance Pack's latest Update:

TVP- The Vengeance Pack goes Hong Kong action!

We've been working on it for a long time, and now we can finally tell you that in the first quarter of 2018, we will be releasing the great Tsui Hark production BLACK MASK (1996), starring the incredible Jet Li and Lau Ching-Wan, on Blu-ray! It WILL be English friendly (including subtitles & dub), and it will include 4 Versions of the film (2 Blu-rays)!

- International Version

- Hong Kong version

- Extended Version

- TVP's version

The first edition gets a Special Wattiert Mediabook with special artwork from our buddy Kungfubob O'Brien.

Also coming in the year's first quarter, CHALLENGE THE DRAGON (1973, aka. THE WAY OF THE TIGER), and, of course, SHAOLIN KUNG FU MASTER (1978, aka. THE FIVE INVINCIBLE GUARDS), followed by RETURN OF THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN (1968, aka. ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN RETURNS). (Note: Yes, I'm doing original covers for all of these releases, and yes, VERY happy about that.- KFB)

You get the full TVP threat, whether you want or not...

We love you... (at least most of you...)

TVP

Though I've already turned in my artwork last month, we're not revealing it just yet. :bigsmile:

image.png

Wow! That sounds great! Didn't know that many versions of the film existed. And I'm sure you'll provide some excellent artwork for it, Bob!

Do we know the future of TVP's plans on releasing any more Shaw Brothers films after Return of the One Armed Swordsman? Apparently this is a collaboration effort with FilmArt for a new 4K scan. 

Edited by De Ming Li

8 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

Do we know the future of TVP's plans on releasing any more Shaw Brothers films after Return of the One Armed Swordsman? Apparently this is a collaboration effort with FilmArt for a new 4K scan. 

Can't reveal anything about future plans for TVP Shaw Brothers releases at this time.

The upcoming RETURN OF THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN Blu-ray is not being done in collaboration with FilmArt. Where did you hear that @De Ming Li ?

Will these releases be english-friendly? Is Challenge The Dragon the same movie that Code Red released? thanks

Edited by saltysam

3 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Will these releases be english-friendly?

Yes @saltysam, BLACK MASK, CHALLENGE THE DRAGON, and SHAOLIN KUNG FU MASTER will all be English friendly, including either English subs or dubs, and in some cases both (BLACK MASK for sure).

We'll have to wait and see about RETURN OF THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN.

4 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Can't reveal anything about future plans for TVP Shaw Brothers releases at this time.

The upcoming RETURN OF THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN Blu-ray is not being done in collaboration with FilmArt. Where did you hear that @De Ming Li ?

I apologize, I remembered wrong the details of what panku had posted in the Shaw threads.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by De Ming Li

14 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

I apologize, I remembered wrong the details of what panku had posted in the Shaw threads.

Untitled.jpg

Ah, I see. No problem. :wink: Easy mistake to make.

Still, that IS good news, isn't it? Everything I've been told about this- the NEW ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN- project is very exciting.

53 minutes ago, Doctor Schnabel von Rom said:

to black mask:

with cantonese track? the taiwanese dvd was only mandarin dubbed. real uncut but with cantonese would be a dream!

The Hong Kong blu-ray is uncut with Cantonese audio, so TVP's release should be as well.

8 hours ago, Doctor Schnabel von Rom said:

to black mask:

with cantonese track? the taiwanese dvd was only mandarin dubbed. real uncut but with cantonese would be a dream!

I'm checking. Will get back to you on this.

6 hours ago, Doctor Schnabel von Rom said:

as i know the taiwanese cut (dvd from label ritel from taiwan) is longer then the hong kong version...for me only the taiwan version is uncut.

The "extended version" included in this release is an even longer version of the Taiwanese print. :nerd:

5 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I'm checking. Will get back to you on this.

The "extended version" included in this release is an even longer version of the Taiwanese print. :nerd:

Sure? i thought the extended version will be the taiwan cut because a) the international version is cut like the hong kong version. and the TVPs version must be this selfmade longer cut from the labell.

- International Version

- Hong Kong version

- Extended version

- TVP's version

tvp answered on facebook. the taiwanese version will be in cantoese with a few lines in mandarin. good for me:-)

9 hours ago, Doctor Schnabel von Rom said:

Sure? i thought the extended version will be the taiwan cut because a) the international version is cut like the hong kong version. and the TVPs version must be this selfmade longer cut from the labell.

- International Version

- Hong Kong version

- Extended version

- TVP's version

tvp answered on facebook. the taiwanese version will be in cantoese with a few lines in mandarin. good for me:-)

Yes, this is straight from the horse's mouth.

Okay, good. I got the info last night and was about to answer that audio question for you. Anyway, it was good news.

23 hours ago, Doctor Schnabel von Rom said:

as i know the taiwanese cut (dvd from label ritel from taiwan) is longer then the hong kong version...for me only the taiwan version is uncut.

Not sure what you are saying here, but the Hong Kong blu-ray is definitely uncut (contains the violent shots that were trimmed from the original Hong Kong theatrical version that were included on the Taiwanese DVD) and definitely has Cantonese audio.

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

Not sure what you are saying here, but the Hong Kong blu-ray is definitely uncut (contains the violent shots that were trimmed from the original Hong Kong theatrical version that were included on the Taiwanese DVD) and definitely has Cantonese audio.

This page in german is saying that the version is not full uncut compared to the taiwan version:

https://ssl.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=8&vid=316642

google translate of the text

" Compared to the Taiwanese version is missing:

- the little gesture between Anthony Wong and Rock,
- Anthony Wong salutes Rock,
- the "victim" breaks the policeman's arms,
- the "accident victim" rams the scalpel into the police officer's head
- the "accident victim" is being crushed by bullets
- The bald guy collects some shots from the SWAT team.
"

Some other TVP releases planned for 2018 are:

The Cannibals aka The Black Guardly (1972)

Sun Dragaon aka A Hard Way to Die (1979)

The Golden Mask aka Golden Mask Killer (1977)

The Crippled Masters (1979)

Enter the Game of Death (1978)

Men of the Hour aka Black Hercules vs Yellow Tiger (1977)

On 12/8/2017 at 1:59 PM, Doctor Schnabel von Rom said:

This page in german is saying that the version is not full uncut compared to the taiwan version:

https://ssl.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=8&vid=316642

google translate of the text

" Compared to the Taiwanese version is missing:

- the little gesture between Anthony Wong and Rock,
- Anthony Wong salutes Rock,
- the "victim" breaks the policeman's arms,
- the "accident victim" rams the scalpel into the police officer's head
- the "accident victim" is being crushed by bullets
- The bald guy collects some shots from the SWAT team.
"

OK, so the Hong Kong blu-ray is not as cut as the original Hong Kong DVD, but still not as fully uncut as the Taiwanese DVD. Hopefully the TVP blu-ray will be a better transfer than the HK blu-ray and make this discussion moot :)

I was going to pass on this release since I have the nice Nova Media set. But, after reading some of the details here, I may change my mind. I guess that I could find some room on my shelf for another release of Black Mask.