I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
AlbertV

What anime have you/are currently watching?

We have talked about non-martial arts films. We have talked about books. We have talked about music. I thought it would be a good idea to talk about the global phenomenon of Japanese anime. Who has watched anime or is watching anime, whether it is a series or a full-length movie? Aside from everything going on from my day job and film blogging, I do spend time watching anime, sometimes with the little ones. It all began for me as a kid with Thundercats (I count this as anime because the animation team was from Japan, Voltron (Go-Lion), Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman). 

I currently use Crunchyroll as my source for anime and here's what I have been watching or have recently watched:

14176?region=US&size=952x536

Attack on Titan - all caught up...waiting for Season 3, which unfortunately won't be around until July 2018

13272118.png

Nanbaka - all caught up....hilarious 1st season followed by a more "s**t got real" 2nd season. Season 3 is apparently coming in January 2018

Shokugeki-no-Soma-1.jpg

Shokugeki no Soma (Food Wars) - currently am in the third season, I am enjoying it and began collecting the manga.

3fa8241f48feda7db1d29a11a9dbbe1f14666064

Assassination Classroom - I'm up to Episode 9 so far but I am reading the manga right now (getting volume 19, the third to last volume in a few weeks)

gintama.jpg

Gintama - up to episode 6 so far...I know it's a lot but I'm taking my time.

1562729_Japanese_KeyArt-OfficialVideoIma

Dragon Ball Super - up to episode 30...they surpassed 100 already. Sad news though as the voice actress of Bulma, Hiromi Tsuru, who was there since the original 1986 DB series, died at the age of 57 two weeks ago :(

I watched many episodes of Kimba the White Lion and Speed Racer in the late 60's and early 70's and then I saw the first episode of Doomed Megalopolis on VHS in the early 1990's and more recently the entire Mushi-shi (2005) series which was very good.

I know I saw The Adventures of Horus (1968) and The Little Prince and the 8 Headed Dragon (1963) at some point in the 2000's. Probably saw a couple of others over the years but nothing else is coming to mind. That's about it for anime except for an occasional clip on the internet. Sorry I can't contribute more. I may have watched some Akira in the 1990's.

I've been dabbling with the idea of watching the second season of "Psycho-Pass". The first season was genuinely one of the best shows I've ever watch, anime or not. It's so unbelievably good. Sadly, I hear the second season isn't that great.

I'm impossibly picky when it comes to anime. I hate cutesy stuff and I'm awfully particular about the art-style. It can't be too "out there".

Oh, I'm also looking forward to season two of "One Punch Man". Such a phenomenal piece of entertainment. I'm just worried as to where they can go. It seemed like they had Saitama beat the toughest of the tough in the finale of the first season.

I tried to finish the first season of "Attack on Titan" and just couldn't get through it. It's insanely dull. And I couldn't finish "Death Note" either. I quit once the annoying girl came on board. 

I do intend to start "Samurai Champloo" soon as it combines my two main loves: martial arts and hip hop.

I enjoy anime but am usually hard-pressed to find a series I can actually sit through because I, too, hate the cutesy crap. I also get tired of the teenage drama angst that permeates typical anime. Oh, and everything revolving giant mechanized battle-bots. I mean...come on!

I enjoyed Attack on Titan.

Sword Art Online is really good. Very minimal cutesy stuff and an interesting premise.

Kurowasa has its moments, enough to keep me interested.

Started on Psycho Pass but not sure what happened. I think the story dragged too much for me and I lost interest.

One Punch Man is the gold standard.

My wife hipped me to Claymore and that show is really good.

Been watching Fate/Zero and that's been fairly good.

Mushi Shi is good and moody.

Death Note bored me after 4 eps.

Watched 3 seasons of Rurouni Kenshin this year. While I like the show, they really drag the stories out, and some of the characters are annoying.

Oh, and Samurai Flamenco was pretty good. (One character is an obvious homage to Sonny Chiba.)

@ShaOW!linDude, I like Rurouni too but some of the filler arcs bore me to no end. The manga holds up better.

I've lost track of everything I've watched or rewatched this year (downloading PS4-based streaming apps aided in this).

I'm rewatching Space Dandy now, and plan to get into Dragonball Z Kai: The Final Chapters, when the second part on BD arrives.

Watching Trigun at the moment. If I've seen it before, I was very young when I did. But I understand why it's received the status that it enjoys 

On 12/8/2017 at 2:31 PM, Asmo said:

Watching Trigun at the moment. If I've seen it before, I was very young when I did. But I understand why it's received the status that it enjoys 

I watched the first episode of that on netflix when I had some time to kill but to not enough to watch a feature. Seems fairly decent, but still I'm not too sure if I'll make it to the second episode though.

Before that I watched several episodes of the 2008 version of Golgo 13. I enjoyed it, it's very stylish but suffers from each episode being rather similar.

I also watched 2 speechless shorts on netflix one called The House of Small Cubes and the other Golden Time. I enjoyed both of them a lot both remind me a bit of my all time favourite animation; The Snowman, in their the style of art and the fact their both wordless (I should probably watch more speechless short animations).

I've been watching Tiger & Bunny on Netflix. It's a bit like Samurai Flamenco as far as the story line goes. The action is pretty good so far. I'm only about 5-6 eps in.

Plan on watching the Lady Death anime movie tonight. Nabbed a used dvd the other day.

I watched this anime yesterday:

It's also known as Phoenix 2772. I ended up finding out about it because it was dubbed by the Axis International dubbers which for me really enhanced my enjoyment. It's interesting and whimsical to hear the same voices and similar phrases used in kung fu movies in something animated. I also enjoyed it's story of the underdog who was born in a test tube and raised by machines, and was going to go on a mission to try and capture the Phoenix "Cosmozone", before crossing forbidden class lines with a romance...
I was thinking maybe I should watch some more anime features because typically I lose interest in series after a few episodes and rarely make it to the end.

Edited by Silver and Gold Dragon

Not strictly anime, but I watched “Gantz:O” (or is it a zero?) recently. I was absolutely blown away. Never have I come across a film as crazy and fun as this.

It’s feature-length monster hunting as its best. Fantastic animation, great character design and some amazing (and imaginative) action. It blew my socks off.

The last 2 anime I have watched are Samurai 7 and Tokyo Majin. On second arc of Tokyo Majin and enjoying the show still. Samurai 7 looks fantastic in HD. Not as good as the movie it is based on, but I still enjoy it.

devil-is-a-part-timer.jpg?w=680

I bought the first issue of a manga called The Devil is a Part-Timer. I told my co-worker about and she told me that she and her husband have watched the anime. So naturally I checked Crunchyroll and lo and behold, they have it! I started it and have watched the first two episodes so far.

The story: The Devil and his four generals have lost a battle to take over Ente Isle. Satan and his most loyal general Alciel decide to escape to Earth. However, they've taken on the forms of late teenagers and on top of that, they barely have any powers left. To survive, Satan and Alciel change their names and Satan, now called Sadao Maou, gets a part-time at MgRonald's restaurant. His past comes back to haunt him when the hero, Emilia, has also arrived in Japan under the identity of Emi Yusu, a call center operator. Hilarious so far!

I thought I'd posted about it in here already, but it seems I haven't. Last month I watched the best anime I've ever seen: "Death Parade". It's exactly what I want from an anime. Exquisite art, fantastic characters and adult themes. I loved every single moment of it. It's literally twelve episodes of perfection.

15 hours ago, AlbertV said:

I bought the first issue of a manga called The Devil is a Part-Timer. I told my co-worker about and she told me that she and her husband have watched the anime. So naturally I checked Crunchyroll and lo and behold, they have it! I started it and have watched the first two episodes so far.

The story: The Devil and his four generals have lost a battle to take over Ente Isle. Satan and his most loyal general Alciel decide to escape to Earth. However, they've taken on the forms of late teenagers and on top of that, they barely have any powers left. To survive, Satan and Alciel change their names and Satan, now called Sadao Maou, gets a part-time at MgRonald's restaurant. His past comes back to haunt him when the hero, Emilia, has also arrived in Japan under the identity of Emi Yusu, a call center operator. Hilarious so far!

That's one of those series I've always heard of, but never checked out myself. I might give it a shot, after finishing All Out.

I watched the first episodes of the cartoons Super Duper Sumos and Jackie Chan Adventures to mark about 17 years since I first saw them.

I found out recently the first broadcast of those shows on British TV was probably on Saturday the 22nd September 2001, also it seems the first repeat on British TV of JCA at least was probably on Wednesday 26th September 2001. I may have seen those very broadcasts at 8 years old. I'm more likely to have watched them on Wednesday since I didn't much like the formula Children's BBC (CBBC) tended do on Saturday mornings, plus my dad often use to want the TV on Saturday's. Though I did sometime still watch CBBC on Saturday's.

It was interesting to see them again for the sake of memories and nostalgia, but in particular JCA was interesting to watch after seeing a lot of Chan's live action movies, many times, as they are the references/influence for the show. Many moments remind me of JC movies, I wouldn't have known about 17 years ago. Without JCA I might not be on this forum now.

I don't think I'd thought about this before but Jackie kind of provokes the bad guys first... Yeah they come to Jackie first in a threatening manner, but he then spy's on them and accidentally falls onto and damages their car, which pisses the bad guys off and they get into a fight and Jackie wins...

IIRC my mum might have thought Super Duper Sumos was kind of vulgar for a kids show. The buttock jokes in particular probably.    

MV5BMTI5NjExODQ4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTM1    JCA.png

I don't watch Anime very often, as I prefer manga because it feels like a more authentic take on the story. Besides, a lot of anime, and even manga, is really dumb, so its hard for me to find stuff that interest me. But I've watched a few:

Yu Yu Hakusho (1992) One of my favorite manga of all time, so it goes without question that I would check out the Anime. It was alright I guess. But they did seem to cut a lot of stuff(At least it seemed they did).

Yu-Gi-Oh! (2001) I played the card game for a while(Even went to a few larger tournaments), read the manga, and watched the anime. It was my favorite anime for a while. Seen ever episode. The Duelist Kingdom and Battle City story-lines where the best, but I enjoyed all of it. 

Berserk (1997) I love the manga and this adaption was pretty authentic to the original story. Sad they stopped where they did. I would have love for it to have continued. 

Ronin Warriors(1988: Aka:Legendary Armor Samurai Warriors) One of the first Anime I ever watched and I loved every minute of it. It kind of reminded me of Power Rangers, so I think that is why I loved it so much.  

Dragon Ball Z (1996) I think we all know this. If not, you might have been living under a rock. lol JK Its amazing, and the only anime that I have actual full seasons of (The first three). 

That's the major ones. I have watched a few episodes of other Anime, but these are the ones that stuck with me and that I actually watched all of. 

I watched the 1st ep of My Hero Academia...twice. I ain't digging it. It contains everything that annoys me in an anime series.

Been watching Durarara. It's been interesting at times. The animation is pretty good. 

16 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

I watched the 1st ep of My Hero Academia...twice. I ain't digging it. It contains everything that annoys me in an anime series.

Thats what Im saying. Ive got 6 anime friends all recommending it to me too. Only watched the first episode, as well as the first episode of One Punch Man, both of which mirror eachother in the exact same way. No character development, random monster in city to fight off, kills it with no background or plot of what it was, Im not buying it. 

Maybe the series get better as they go on? I thought anime shows were supposed to have a great pilot episode then the rest be bs filler mediocracy. I have a tough time getting into anime, always have. Plus Im not in it for the long haul with tv shows anymore, and its a pet peeve of mine that so many people are.

3 hours ago, Koravec said:

Thats what Im saying. Ive got 6 anime friends all recommending it to me too. Only watched the first episode, as well as the first episode of One Punch Man, both of which mirror eachother in the exact same way. No character development, random monster in city to fight off, kills it with no background or plot of what it was, Im not buying it. 

Maybe the series get better as they go on? I thought anime shows were supposed to have a great pilot episode then the rest be bs filler mediocracy. I have a tough time getting into anime, always have. Plus Im not in it for the long haul with tv shows anymore, and its a pet peeve of mine that so many people are.

For some reason, I loved One Punch Man and I hate 90% of anime I'm recommended. It's utterly plot-less but that's kind of the point. It's just big, silly fun.