I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

thekfc

88 Films ASIA: Korea

With their success of their 88 Asia Collection: Shaw Brothers, 88 Films will now venture into other Asian territory: Korea.

They are aiming for a Christmas release for their 1st title: GIFTED

From 88 Films:

Director Juhn Jai-hong (who reached critical acclaim and feminist approval with 2008's shattering BEAUTIFUL) produced another instant classic with 2014's riveting and shocking GIFTED. In this tense thriller an everyday Joe, laid off from his job, finds a freelance gig that involves nothing in the way of pay but plenty in the way of murderous pleasure! A tense and twisted tale of life and death in modern South Korea - 88 Films is proud to give this underseen (at least in the West) story of shock and awe an HD British debut!

sv1409.jpg

Iris

From 88 Films:

A whole continent was glued to the small screen when the hit South Korean television series IRIS made its prime time premiere! And now British viewers can experience the 2010 motion picture adaptation of this balls-to-the-wall action thriller in beautiful HD!! Featuring performances from Seoul superstars Lee Byung-hun (A BITTERSWEET LIFE), Jung Joon-ho (ANOTHER PUBLIC ENEMY) and T. O. P (the sex symbol rapper from Kpop chart toppers Big Bang), this rough edged tale of North vs. South military stand offs and a secret agency of bad ass license-to-kill fighters who have Kim Jong-un quaking is timely and terrific. As we all face nuclear annihilation in the Trump/ Pyongyang showdown at least enjoy the heart thumping fun of IRIS before the world comes to a crippling conclusion!

9uya0h.jpg

Sea Fog

From 88 Films:

2014's SEA FOG (HAEMOO) is one of the Korean wave's most potent stories and visually arresting efforts. Telling of an illegal immigrant operation in South Korea, focused on bringing 30 mainland Chinese star-watchers to the hustle and bustle of Busan and Seoul, which ends in terrifying tragedy, SEA FOG is a tense thriller and a blistering viewing experience. Produced by the legendary Bong Joon-ho (THE HOST) and with a cast that includes the great Kim Yoon-seok (THE CHASER) and K-pop icon Park Yoo-chun (formerly of TVXQ), 88 Films is proud to bring the contemporary tragedy of SEA FOG to UK BluRay for the very first time!

xf6xkn.jpg

Hansel & Gretel

From 88 Films:

One of the greatest modern horror films of all time and one of the finest achievements in contemporary Korean cinema is back on Blu thanks to 88 Films! Pilsung Yim's masterful adult fairly tale HANSEL AND GRETEL (2007) is one of the creepiest and most imaginative nightmares of modern Asian cinema and a terrifyingly effective adaptation of an old European fairy tale favourite. 88 Films is proud to present a killer special edition of this baroque and picturesque art-terror text book in spine tingling shocks!!

2a515pw.jpg

Why don't they release some old school martial arts movies instead of some movies that already had other releases such as Hansel and Gretel ???

I realize that I could give the same comment regarding the Shaws' movies they are releasing...

On 9/22/2017 at 7:51 PM, ShawAngela said:

Why don't they release some old school martial arts movies instead of some movies that already had other releases such as Hansel and Gretel ???

Easier said than done.  Releasing old school Korean kung-fu movies on Blu-ray would be a very costly exercise...the rights would need to be negotiated with the Korean Film Archive for the original negatives with Korean language, most would need a 2K restoration, and they'd need to be English subtitled (I'd dare say there's not a single old school Korean kung-fu movie out there that's had an official release with English subs).  Then you'd most likely have everyone wanting for the Godfrey Ho versions to be included on the discs as well, which is a whole other rights issue all together.  Would love to see it happen. but I don't ever expect it to.

With that being said, this slate of releases is a fantastic start.  While it is strange for them to re-release 'Hansel and Gretel' when it's already had a DVD & Blu-ray release in the UK, for all the other titles I believe it's the first time they've been released in any format on this side of the pond.  'Sea Fog' is an amazing movie, and I have the original 8-DVD box-set of 'IRIS' from back when it was first released in Korea in 2010.  It's an awesome TV series, and I heard they did a good job trimming it down into a movie, including some newly shot scenes and an extended ending, which will most likely make this one a purchase for me.

Ironically, I don't believe the movie version ever got released on any format in Korea, however for those interested, this is the box-set of it that I have, in case any one picks up the Blu-ray and decides they want to track it down (which I'd thoroughly recommend doing!) - 

iris.jpg

On 9/22/2017 at 7:51 PM, ShawAngela said:

I realize that I could give the same comment regarding the Shaws' movies they are releasing...

That's probably something that the German Asia Line series could look into or Terracotta Films (where have they been this year?), for the reason that One Armed Boxer has given above.

Besides Shaws and GH, I think the only other potential for a company at present would be Seasonal, but who knows what state their archive is in now.

I don' think KOFA has put any martial arts stuff on their channel yet - shame, as I'd love to see their 35mm materials for Visitor to America...AKA Bruce Lee Fights Back From The Grave!

5 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I don' think KOFA has put any martial arts stuff on their channel yet - shame, as I'd love to see their 35mm materials for Visitor to America...AKA Bruce Lee Fights Back From The Grave!

The KMDB put a number of Korean kung-fu flicks back on their channel back in 2011, sourced from KOFA, that included the likes of 'Returned Single Legged Man' (aka The Korean Connection) and 'Manchurian Tiger' amongst many others.  The audio and visual were pristine, although obviously no English subs.  Member @kaleyboy offered them at the time (this was the thread), so a few of us were lucky enough to grab them.

They stated GIFTED was going to be their first release but that have yet to surface.

Sea Fog has a March 26th release date so that looks like it will be the first Korean title.

Iris is so horrible. Why release that? The tv series is good, but I saw the movie when it was on netflix and I just couldn't believe how poorly they did. The rest of the lineup looks good though.

Edited by lilmanjs

On 1/23/2018 at 2:45 AM, thekfc said:

They stated GIFTED was going to be their first release but that have yet to surface.

Sea Fog has a March 26th release date so that looks like it will be the first Korean title.

Hansel and Gretel has been announced for 9th April.

8 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Is Gifted any good? It's out on Diabolik for those that want it. 

It is a thriller / slasher / serial killer movie.

It is not as good as "The Chaser" but it is good. 

It drags in the beginning but when things start going - it gets going.

It will definitely be a buy for me (a double dip).

And in case you are wondering about the title it is because the main character finds out that he have a gift - a gift for killing.