I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
Yukabacera

Editing the HKMDB?

Is anybody here in touch with anyone who edits the HKMDB, or is even an editor himself? I've been trying to contact someone to try and register an account, since it doesn't seem to be possible to do so through the site itself anymore. It definitely gets regular updates (some of the long time reviewers still post reviews too), I just don't know exactly who's doing them or how to contact them. I'd appreciate any help...

I've wondered about that myself. I created an account years ago, during a period where you had to be a member to look up movie info, and I really don't remember any of my account info.

I was a major editor when founder Ryan Law was still owning the site, striking up a friendship with him (we've even chatted on the phone quite a bit before he left the site). I did a bit back a few years ago, but it's been a while and I can't access my info there nowadays. I'm thinking of getting back to the moderator first chance I get. 

Didn't realize Ryan was no loner affiliated with HKMDb. Be a shame if that site went dark - what a resource. At least we have HKCM as a back-up (or vice-versa). So, who runs the HKMDb these days?

5 hours ago, teako170 said:

Didn't realize Ryan was no loner affiliated with HKMDb. Be a shame if that site went dark - what a resource. At least we have HKCM as a back-up (or vice-versa). So, who runs the HKMDb these days?

I just sent a registration message to a bkasten@hkmdb.com to possibly change my name and maybe help editing again. From my understanding per a phone conversation back over a decade ago, before I had joined Kung Fu Cinema, Ryan had went through some major personal issues and he did mention that he was going to have to step down from HKMDB but entrusted it to a group of select people. The forum admin is the bkasten I just e-mailed and waiting to get a reply from. 

This topic made me seek out an older topic which discussed the original owner, a Swede named Lars, and his website archived on wayback. Internet years are like dog years, Humble beginnings indeed.

Update: Okay, I was able to remember my log-in information but when I log-in, I got the General Error message. I got a "message undeliverable" error in my eman when I attempted to send it to bkasten but they would try again for 48 hours. So I have no idea what's going on with their forums at this time. I wish I was able to contact any of the other moderators of the site, but have no idea how to contact them. The last thing I requested was adding information for Paradox. which they had done. 

@teako170 Here may be your answer as to who is running HKMDB. This is the welcome message from 2012:

Welcome!

The Hong Kong Movie Database (HKMDB) is a place to freely look up highly detailed information about films made in Hong Kong, or films associated in some way with Hong Kong film production.

The HKMDB's usefulness and uniqueness comes from the data being completely bi-lingual. It is in the Chinese language (Traditional/Big5 encoding) as well as in English. And although the overall site is geared primarily toward English, the site's data is 100% based in the Chinese language. No films or persons are added to this database without first having a Chinese name.

The HKMDB data is meticulously maintained by the hard work and extreme dedication of Dennis Lee and Calros Sanchez, along with the Immortals and the Editors (Michael Kistner, williamwan, Gaijin84, Bearserk, MrBooth, Heinz, Magic Wong, Harlock, j.crawford, STSH, ewaffle, and others).

The site's *nix server, SQL database, back-end code, and markup, have been maintained by Bob Kasten since 2002.

(NOTE: at one time this location did host a Hong Kong film discussion forum. However it was eventually deemed best to dedicate the forum for use by the site's data maintainers. Other places are better suited for such discussions. Henceforth this public area of the site's forum will be used for announcements.)