saltysam

Koch Media Shaw Brothers Collection

Taking a look at my Shaws' movies list, I was wondering if there would  be a chance that the rare titles such as Black butterfly, Angel strikes again, The swordsmates that only had a vcd release could get a blu ray release...It would be such a good surprise if it happened !!

5 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Taking a look at my Shaws' movies list, I was wondering if there would  be a chance that the rare titles such as Black butterfly, Angel strikes again, The swordsmates that only had a vcd release could get a blu ray release...It would be such a good surprise if it happened !!

Didn't both The Black Butterfly and The Swordmates get official dvd releases in Malaysia? I have both in storage somewhere in my garage. I'll have to hunt them down one day.

10 hours ago, spannick said:

yes they were the crappy Celestial 4:3 Letterbox Masters used for the HK VCDs, just with better Compression on the DVD

Yes, I was aware of the Scorpio East releases, but I didn't know how they had been made. So, from what you say, @spannick, the quality print isn't that great, right ?

at least they were correct PAL and no interlaced PAL-NTSC crap conversions. but problem is, from what i remember, you can't zoom then easily in for 16x9 TVs with the subs inside the huge black bars....  the prints are usual Celestial quality, all OK.

Bought The Kid With The Golden Arm and was pretty impressed with the transfer, not perfect but certainly better than the crappy DVD version I had. Also got the Chinatown Kid still to watch.

Was looking for some recommendations, out of all the other's available what do you all recommend? What's decent and what could I quite happily to without ever seeing? I'm particularly interested in seeing some Shaw Brothers films filmed in a more contemporary setting and also I've kind of binged on the Venom's Mob films over the last year or so and they are all starting to merge in to one, so anything with them I'll probably by a bit later on. I think these are the German titles for some of them so apologies if they're not instantly recognisable. 

Death Flash of Shaolin
His Fists Jerking Like Lightning
Duel of Fists
Shaolin Rescuers
Have Sword Will Travel
Revenge of the Yellow Tiger/14 Amazons
The Pirate
Boxer Rebellion
Angry Guest
Four Riders
The Ironfist
Secret Society of the Death Claw
Kid With a Tattoo/Tattooed Eagle

Karate King/The Champion

Edited by Graeme Of Death

here are the correct titles:

Death Flash of Shaolin = New Shaolin Boxers

His Fists Jerking Like Lightning =  Master of Kung Fu

The Ironfist = Proud Twins

Secret Society of the Death Claw = Rebel Intruders

5 hours ago, Graeme Of Death said:

His Fists Jerking Like Lightning

🙄😂🤣

Duel of fists and it`s bit weaker sequel Angry Guest are then titles for you, set in "modern" time...DoF is excellent..

Pirate, boxer rebellion, have sword will travel and shaolin rescuers are safe picks too, only rescuers is very typical kung fu flick but lo meng and kwok choy are worth seeing...

Koch Shaw catalogue has been so far very good, only flick clearly to be avoided atm is "master of kung fu". I`m likely not going to get "kid with a tattoo" either as it`s kung fu comedy and not a good one although movie has some superb action.

On 9/19/2019 at 3:07 AM, Tex Killer said:

🙄😂🤣

Duel of fists and it`s bit weaker sequel Angry Guest are then titles for you, set in "modern" time...DoF is excellent..

Pirate, boxer rebellion, have sword will travel and shaolin rescuers are safe picks too, only rescuers is very typical kung fu flick but lo meng and kwok choy are worth seeing...

Koch Shaw catalogue has been so far very good, only flick clearly to be avoided atm is "master of kung fu". I`m likely not going to get "kid with a tattoo" either as it`s kung fu comedy and not a good one although movie has some superb action.

Thanks for the recommendations, think I'll order Duel of Fists next month and get a few more since they're a decent price.

Rebel Intruders arrived(2 days before estimated so thx amazon.de and local post office was quick at once)! I think in this case koch cover better than original available at reverse sleeve.  less top venom flick with slow start but action packed end with wang li(nice to see him getting great and lenghty action scene) and lu feng in top form...

It was very good one, too lazy to type into last Shaw topic now. It used to be on vhs days my fav shaw(limited selection of titles then) but on dvd era after seeing all would make barely into top 10..still action is damn amazing. Koch br quality is also very good, huge improvement over ivl dvd.

Does Spannick has any info(you can share) what we can wait after shanghai lil and kid with a tattoo?

Edited by Tex Killer

i think we can expect titles from the Trailershow next:

"Daredevils" and "Police Force" from what i remember now. but there's nothing in the works as of now what i gathered.

1 hour ago, spannick said:

i think we can expect titles from the Trailershow next:

"Daredevils" and "Police Force" from what i remember now. but there's nothing in the works as of now what i gathered.

Sounds great..I have deep love to Daredevils as it was among 1st Shaws I saw in dutch Shaolin Collection tapes...slow burner with superb end fight....Police Force is good too, just some great excuse to watch movie again on br upgrade...

Is " the delinquent" cancelled?

Edited by Tex Killer

30 minutes ago, spannick said:

that should be coming too some time, yeah. i hope so at least...

Me too..ivl transfer is not that bad seems very old swordplays suffer most from interlacing...but koch br would be great excuse to watch that fine flick agai...

Just wondering if anyone has had playback problems with the The champion aka karate king blu ray?

I'm getting stutter in a few scenes i tried it in a couple of players and it seems its the disc thats the problem. 

Cheers

Mark

2 hours ago, wildzerouk said:

Just wondering if anyone has had playback problems with the The champion aka karate king blu ray?

I'm getting stutter in a few scenes i tried it in a couple of players and it seems its the disc thats the problem. 

Cheers

Mark

I had trouble with trailers, lagging..movie itself plays fine.

51 minutes ago, wildzerouk said:

Cheers, hopefully the replacement doesn't have any problems. 

Let`s hope so but it might be  rare and quite strange case discs from that pressing won`t co-operate well with certain type of players.

Edited by Tex Killer

I watched it on my " normal " blu ray player, but the remote was dead, so, I only watched it in German language and was unable to watch the other version because my player collapsed and is dead too...:bs_firey:

I tried to watch it by using leawo on the computer with my external blu ray player, but, as I already mentioned here, each time I try to watch a German blu ray with leawo, there is no sound !!So, I had to give up !!:yociexp34:

So, I can't say if there are problems with the disc or not...

I noticed that at the end, it's mentioned that it's a 2009 Celestial release. Such a shame that they didn't release it on dvd at that time !! The picture quality is superb and we finally get a great release of this excellent movie (I'm talking about The champion, or course, but everybody had understood...:bs_smile:). I had forgotten a lot about the plot and watching it a few days ago was as if I discovered it for the  first time !

12 hours ago, wildzerouk said:

Cheers

Mark

the "stutter" is done by Celestial: they slowed down a few frames to not have to cut the whole shot out. a very strange idea, but that is how it was delivered. not a fault.

24 minutes ago, spannick said:

the "stutter" is done by Celestial: they slowed down a few frames to not have to cut the whole shot out. a very strange idea, but that is how it was delivered. not a fault.

Thanks for the info, yeah that is a strange way to go about it but good to know its not a fault with the disc. I best cancel that return now then. :)

Edited by wildzerouk