I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

thekfc

Any 4K UHD Asian movies?

4K is awesome but sadly there isn't a big selection, there are some that I got and there are others that I am interested in but I do not want to double/triple dip on them.

@Takuma, @One Armed Boxer, are there any 4K release out there in your neck of the woods that you are aware of?

I am not talking about "remastered in 4K" but actual 4K UHD release. 

I would love to have the Japanese Shin Godzilla 4K but it is not English friendly (I may still get it).  I did watch "Miyako Island" 4K BD which had me asking for more.

There are some movies that I would love to have on 4K UHD and would gladly double/triple dip on them  - Red Cliff, Mermaid, Journey to the West, God of War, Monster Hunt, Detective Dee/Young Detective Dee, The Admiral: Roaring Current, War of The Arrows, The Four series, etc,.  There are many other movies that are prime candidates for a 4K UHD release/re-release, I much rather have a 4K UHD release than a 3D release.

11 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I live in the Philippines buddy, it'd be lucky if we get minus 4K UHD over here.

Ok, I just shot myself in the foot with that one. :coveredlaugh

I should have been more specific and say any Korean 4K UHD release.

On a side note, I was last there in the PI in 2010 (January & July), I stayed in Taguig City, Pangasinan & Baguio; I also did a side trip to Cebu & Bohol.  We are/were due for another visit but it just keeps getting pushed back.

I'm not terribly familiar with 4K releases. Considering what kind of films interest me, VHS (era masters) are (unfortunately) more relevant to me than any K's.

On 7/2/2017 at 2:49 AM, thekfc said:

I should have been more specific and say any Korean 4K UHD release.

Ah, got it!  Yes, the vast majority of recent Blu-ray releases of classic Korean movies have been remastered in 4K.  I don't have a full list, but to give a couple of recent examples, the masterpiece that is 'The Last Witness' was given the 4K treatment and released last month - 

download1.jpegdownload2.jpeg

Then you have the classic Im Kwon-taek movie 'Sopyonje', which hit shelves in 4K last week - 

download3.jpegdownload4.jpeg

5 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Ah, got it!  Yes, the vast majority of recent Blu-ray releases of classic Korean movies have been remastered in 4K.  I don't have a full list, but to give a couple of recent examples, the masterpiece that is 'The Last Witness' was given the 4K treatment and released last month - 

download1.jpegdownload2.jpeg

Then you have the classic Im Kwon-taek movie 'Sopyonje', which hit shelves in 4K last week - 

download3.jpegdownload4.jpeg

Thanks for the info.

I did a more extensive search and found out that there are some Korean movies that are remastered in 4K but they are Blu-ray release (and not 4K UHD). The Japanese 4K UHD releases I came across are not English friendly.

The above two movies I do plan on getting especially "The Last Witness" since it looks like it is the directors (154 minutes) cut.

During my search, I see that 4K UHD is an emerging format in (some) Asian market but the vast majority of releases are Western movies. 

It is a shame as there are many Asian releases that could/should be better served in 4K UHD, but I guess that not all the studios/markets are interested.

On 7/10/2017 at 2:32 AM, thekfc said:

During my search, I see that 4K UHD is an emerging format in (some) Asian market but the vast majority of releases are Western movies. 

It is a shame as there are many Asian releases that could/should be better served in 4K UHD, but I guess that not all the studios/markets are interested.

Your wish is granted! - 

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=16208

ShockWaveUHDBRD1077X350.jpg