Jump to content
rdenn

R.I.P. Philip Ko Fei

Recommended Posts

very sad news just been reported on facebook that Philip ko passed away today from Terminal illness he was 67 years old. sad loss for genre , my condolences to his family

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad to hear about the passing of Phillip Ko, he recently appeared in a picture with fellow actor Mars. I would never have guessed he was ill at all, he looked fne in the image. He must have been one hell of a tough guy. The picture was posted on Michael Worth's Bruce Lee Clone's site, as Ko was interviewed for his up-coming book/film on the bruceploitation genre.

A great Martial Art's movie star, known for his ability to do really long takes feautirng intricate choreogrpahy, and one hell of a screen villian.

R.I.P Phillip Ko.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sad news indeed.

I am having my wife scan the various Asian news outlet in HK & Singapore but no announcement as yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad news,the fight sequence with Gordon liu in eight diagram was one of the great pole sequences put on celluloid R.I.P SHAPE MASTER.

Edited by sym8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very talented performer and martial artist. Whether as villain or hero, the intensity he brought into every performance made him a bad ass all around...

RIP Philip Ko Fei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Sad to hear about the passing of Phillip Ko, he recently appeared in a picture with fellow actor Mars. I would never have guessed he was ill at all, he looked fne in the image. He must have been one hell of a tough guy. The picture was posted on Michael Worth's Bruce Lee Clone's site, as Ko was interviewed for his up-coming book/film on the bruceploitation genre.

I was already looking forward to reading this, but now? Geez... his last interview I guess. :sad

 

4 hours ago, Gaijin84 said:

One of the best ever

 

So glad you posted this clip @Gaijin84. Thanks.

 

4 hours ago, thehangman said:

Sad news i know he was battling cancer

I hadn't heard that. That insipid disease claims another life.

 

3 hours ago, sym8 said:

Sad news,the fight sequence with Gordon liu in eight diagram was one of the great pole sequences put on celluloid R.I.P SHAPE MASTER.

I've watched this scene countless times.

 

3 hours ago, Shaolivevil said:

A very talented performer and martial artist. Whether as villain or hero, the intensity he brought into every performance made him a bad ass all around...

RIP Philip Ko Fei

Man, you said it @Shaolivevil.

Yes, sadly we lost a Hong Kong cinema legend today. He was a kung fu actor, action director, producer and director. If you are a fan of the genre, I'd be very surprised if you haven't seen him in at least two dozen films. Of all his many contributions my absolute favorite is his role as the Temple Abbot and his epic pole fight with Gordon Liu in THE 8 DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER. Simply outstanding- in my top 10 fight scenes of all time. Thank you for all your years of hard work entertaining us. My thoughts are with your family, friends, and fans. RIP Phillip Ko Fei.

 

PHILLIP KO FEI RIP.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad to wake up to this news. I just watched him in Boxer's Omen 2 days ago and last week burned a friend a copy of one of my favorites, Legend of a Fighter.

A legend indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the greatest actors of Hong Kong, he left behind one hell of a legacy, as great as he was at MA(yes, his spare with Liu in 8dpf maybe the best scene in KF history), this is his greatest movie imo -

 

 

 

 

boxersomen1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FieryReign said:

Aww, that sucks. My fav role of his was probably the stubborn old Fok master in Legend of a Fighter. Squashing eggs in a glass.

Yeah, this was a fantastic one.

 

10 hours ago, rdenn said:

one of the best to do it

 

Nice clip compilation @rdenn. The move in the first clip where he does the jumping, double leg block, then double kick attack on his opponents before landing is one of those blink and you'll miss it seconds of brilliance in timing and physical skills.

 

5 hours ago, panku said:

Sad to wake up to this news. I just watched him in Boxer's Omen 2 days ago and last week burned a friend a copy of one of my favorites, Legend of a Fighter.

A legend indeed.

For a second I misread the above (I underlined it) and was freaking out "There's a BOXER'S OMEN sequel???!!! How did I not know this? How did I miss it?

Spoiler

And how on Earth is his character going to appear in it? Will it be the old twin brother routine?"

 After a second I realized what you were actually saying. :tongueout Definitely one of his best roles IMO in a delightfully OTT film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×