I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
DiP

IMDB to disable ALL their message boards

I hate seeing that missing space for movies I have seen. I have used the IMDB message boards for further research for many films.  The big problem they had was of course trolls usually for newer, more popular films which is rarely what I was looking up.  I was generally looking for more information for non-American films, older Hollywood including silent (and non-Hollywood) etc... which I did not have too many problems with.

I disliked when HKMDB froze their boards (which now I wish IMDB did so I could still peruse the existing information), but getting rid of it completely is annoying.

I guess I misread this initially. Wow I thought they were going to freeze them not scrap them all together, there was some good info in there, sure you usually had to wade through some petty bickering and trolls but that's the internet in a nutshell. Seems like a stupid move, I'm sure a lot of people spent some time and effort there over the years, now just a waste.

I still hang around there, mainly updating or adding new titles. But since the shutdown things just aren't the same now. Feels like HKMDB now.

It seems IMDb has finally gone shit. The standard "teen view" seems to be becoming the only option now. You can't use the good old "reference view" (the outlook IMDb had 10 years ago, and which was available as an option until now) anymore for many pages, and for others it been modified and has just become really ugly.

The worst thing for me is that AKA titles don't show up on filmography pages anymore. It will only display title in one selected language (and even then sometimes it doesn't work). Half of the time I know films by their original title (e.g. English, Japanese language films, some European films), and the other half by their English title (e.g. Hong Kong, Chinese, Korean films). Whatever I choose half of the time I don't recognize the titles...

This is what Jackie Chan's filmography looks / looked like

New (Title display country as "Original")
imdbnew1.jpg

What are all these titles???

New (Title display country as "United States")
imdbnew.jpg

What the hell is "Yi zhao ban shi chuang jiang hu" ??? Or Jian hua yan yu jiang nan???

Old (Reference View)
imdbold.jpg

Note: screencap from internet archive. The languages are mixed up in that one... I had always the main title set to be show in the "original" language and then English title would be shown below as an AKA so it would be consistent. But even this messed up screencap view contains all necessary info for identifying film, unlike the new options...

In the FAQ section, it says IMDB is currently testing a new default look for the page... Hopefully, the old reference view will be back after that. But yeah, I totally agree with you.