I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
AlbertV

Pro Wrestling Thread 2017

12 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Three more have left Impact Wrestling: Mike and Maria Bennett and Jade have left the company.

Impact is going to have its ratings drop since the above and the Hardys were popular. Drew Galloway also left.

Jack Swagger has gotten his release from WWE. Impact will probably sign him to offset the talent departure.

You guys mentioned botches and Ryback did too. He talked about the botched Muscle Buster in the Samoa Joe/Tyson Kidd match that more than likely ended Kidd's career.

https://audioboom.com/posts/5625817-conversation-with-the-big-guy-ep-26-worst-match-ever

I think the Muscle Buster got banned as now Samoa Joe uses a Uranage off the ropes as his finisher. That Rocker Dropper in the Chuck Austin video looks like the guy had to tuck his chin in much like the Styles Clash. People have said that Chris Jericho had to persuade management to allow AJ to use that move in the WWE. After all it's been botched a lot.  The video doesn't include the one where AJ fell over backwards turning it into a piledriver in a match against Satoshi Kojima or the most recent incident with Ellsworth.

Hideo Itami was the victim of a botch as well. Two weeks after this occurred, Austin Aries would get a broken orbital bone from a simple kick by Nakamura.

And then there was one during an Authors of Pain match.

NXT has had some real bad luck. I mean all the moves above are tame compared to something like Kawada's Ganso Bomb or any major spot on LU.

8 hours ago, HyperDrive said:

I think the Muscle Buster got banned as now Samoa Joe uses a Uranage off the ropes as his finisher.

That's what happened to Seth Rollins' Curb Stomp. It got banned so now he uses Triple H's Pedigree as his finisher.

At Impact last night, Never Back Down: No Surrender actor and MMA star Josh Barnett (who once competed in NJPW) faced Bobby Lashley only for Lashley to retain the title until...

Alberto El Patron (fka Alberto Del Rio has signed a full-time deal with Impact Wrestling and on his debut night, he won the TNA World Title beating Lashley.

And it was announced next week that former TNA knockout ODB is returning to Impact! She was backstage at last night's tapings. Impact president Ed Nordholm made the announcement.

At NXT this past Wednesday, Asuka retained her NXT Women's Championship against Peyton Royce, and got double-teamed by Royce and Billie Kay only to be saved by Ember Moon. It looks like a Moon-Asuka title match may be in the works.

So why did Matt and Jeff Hardy ultimately decide to leave Impact? The new creative team, headed by Jeff Jarrett, apparently wanted them to break out of their "Broken" mode and as a result, the creative control clause was going to be out if they had signed the new contracts.

Impact Wrestling has also signed Rachel Ellering, the daughter of WWE Hall of Famer Paul Ellering. At 24, she is a powerlifter who won the Bronze at the world championships and had worked for both NXT and SHINE at one point.

Jack Swagger went on Chael Sonnen's podcast and revealed that he granted a release, which is still TBD, by the WWE. He is not happy with how things are and it is unclear whether they will grant him the release or wait til his contact is up.

Now a free agent, Drew Galloway announced in The Scottish Sun that he is weighing all options and has not ruled out a possible return to the WWE. He said he will just see what happens.

If you have not seen The Big Show, he has lost some of the weight and looks bulked up now. He has been working with a personal trainer and is still hoping to have a WrestleMania match against Shaquille O'Neal. But here is the Big Show then and now.
1212.jpg

He lost 70 pounds and is now at 396 pounds he revealed!

Finally...Will Ospreay is heading to Ring of Honor. He will face Dragon Lee (not the former kung fu film star) at ROH's Manhattan Mayhem.

Edited by AlbertV

Okay, I just recently discovered this...The Boogeyman from WWE was actually in a 1990's martial arts TV movie. The movie you ask? Karate Warrior 5. Credited under his real name of Marty Wright, he played the character of Bull Alabama, a toughman who is the final opponent of the second Karate Warrior, Larry Jones, played by Ron Williams. Check it out!

MV5BMzUyYzExMmMtYmZkNC00NDEwLWIxMTMtMzY1

Edited by AlbertV

On 3/2/2017 at 8:05 AM, AlbertV said:

That's what happened to Seth Rollins' Curb Stomp. It got banned so now he uses Triple H's Pedigree as his finisher.

And they won't let Kevin Owens use the package piledriver since all piledrivers are banned except for matches with Taker or Kane.

ODB going to Impact means ROH lost another person. AAA and ROH are having a race to see who can lose the most people. I don't think Alberto Del Patron will last in Impact with all the drama that seems to follow him everywhere. LU/AAA cannot be happy that he is using the "El Patron" name so Impact will be receiving another cease and desist order from them. Josh Barnett wrestling again? News to me since I thought he retired to do commentary.

I don't understand why Jarrett wanted to restrict the Hardy's creative control when that was the thing that put Impact back on the map.

Unfortunately, we had another botch over the weekend. NJPW's Tomoaki Honma broke his neck when Jado gave him a DDT. Two really messed up things about this are:

1. Honma began his career in Big Japan's death match division and became famous for using light tubes. 

2. This botch happened on the one year anniversary of the death of death match legend Hayabusa, who had to retire after he broke his neck doing a moonsault.

The Hardy Boys have signed a deal with Ring Of Honor, and will not be reutring to the WWE. Which would have offered more money, but not allowed them the same creative control over their characters.

Fan-Cam video of their debut.

So if you missed it...Goldberg defeated Kevin Owens for the WWE Universal Championship, after Chris Jericho returned to distract Owens. This has set the stage for the following WrestleMania matches:

Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar for the Universal Championship

Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jericho for the United States Heavyweight Championship

Alexa Bliss will face the entire Smackdown Women's Division at WrestleMania for the Smackdown Women's Championship.

Former NWA and WWE star Outlaw Ron Bass, real name Ronald Heard, passed away at the age of 68.

Aside from the Hardys appearing at ROH Manhattan Madness VI, Bully Ray also made a surprise appearance to help Bobby Fish fend off Bullet Club.

Kairi Hojo of Stardom has changed her mind and is leaving for the WWE. She has reportedly signed a three year deal. Wonder who is going to play Doku on Lucha Underground now.

NJPW 45th Anniversary Show

Suzuki-gun's Taichi and Yoshinobu Kanemaru defeated Roppongi Vice for the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight tag titles. Zack Sabre Jr. beat Katsuyori Shibata for the RPW British Heavyweight title after interference from Suzuki-gun. Sabre then revealed that he is their newest member. Tencozy beat Ishii and Yano for the IWGP Heavyweight tag titles. Hiromu Takahashi retained the Jr Heavyweight title against Ryusuke Taguchi. Kazuchika Okada beat Tiger Mask W in a non-title match. I was sort of bummed that Okada kicked out of a top rope tiger driver.

ROH 15th Anniversary Show

Jay White beat Kenny King. Frankie Kazarian became the top contender to the World TV title after beating Adam Page, Silas Young, Punisher Martinez, Chris Sabin and Cheeseburger in a six-way match.  Jay Lethal pinned Bobby Fish. The Kingdom retained the Six-man Tag titles against Dalton Castle and the Boys. However, they may have to vacate them as T.K. O'Ryan broke an ankle after doing an Asai moonsault and landed on the barricade. The Briscoes and Bully Ray beat Davey Boy Smith Jr and War Machine.

The Hardys retained tag titles against the Young Bucks and Roppongi Vice in a three-way street fight. There was some controversy before this match because Impact Wrestling sent a cease and desist letter to ROH and the Hardys. So at the show, they were introduced as "Matt+Jeff, the Hardys", the Delete move is now a chop, Jeff changed his look and they dubbed guitar over their theme. Beretta was destroyed during this match as the Young Bucks stuffed his mouth with thumbtacks, superkicked him, and then hit him with a Meltzer Driver on thumbtacks. Matt Hardy pinned him after flipping him over a ladder into a swanton through a table. Ouch....

Christopher Daniels won the ROH Championship when Frankie Kazarian double-crossed Adam Cole and the Bullet Club.

Rumour is still that the Hardy's have a short term deal with ROH, and they could still possibly sign/return to WWE after Wrestlemania.

On 3/12/2017 at 4:26 AM, Asmo said:

Rumour is still that the Hardy's have a short term deal with ROH, and they could still possibly sign/return to WWE after Wrestlemania.

Yeah, that's the hot rumor now. Jeff said they have the biggest contract in ROH history though.

Bully Ray also revealed that he almost went to WWE but plans fell through at the last minute.

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/03/10/bully-ray-bubba-dudley-wwe-roh-interview?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Another name that keeps popping up in connection to WWE is Adam Cole. Apparently his ROH contract expires May 1st.

Scott Hall's son Cody Hall has returned to the ring in Japan, switching from NJPW to NOAH. He will make his debut on April 11. Since NOAH and Impact just did a show, expect to see him on US television soon. Too bad Impact is on the obscure POP channel which is seemingly unavailable in my area. No idea how many people who don't have POP watch Impact on Playstation VUE.

WWE's Rusev will be out of action due to shoulder surgery. Cedric Alexander is also out with a knee injury.

I wonder if Cody is still doing a gimmick similar to his dad's. I remember he had really similar ring attire (if not one of Scott's old vests) at some point.

On 3/14/2017 at 9:07 PM, Asmo said:

I wonder if Cody is still doing a gimmick similar to his dad's. I remember he had really similar ring attire (if not one of Scott's old vests) at some point.

He did wear his dad's NWO vest when he first debuted in NJPW. I also noticed that Bad Luck Fale began winning matches using the Grenade instead of the Bad Luck Fall (a standing Razor Edge) after Hall appeared. Then Hall began to tease the Razor's Edge and finally used it once to chuck someone out of the ring in some multiman tag match.

Some more information on the Hardys/Impact dispute..... Apparently Impact wants them to keep using the Broken gimmick but also wants a cut from the profits it makes.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/cease-desist-impact-roh-ppv-broken/#.WMRfYjuLSUk

Then Jeff Hardy stated that Impact has it all wrong and they will win in the end. He also said that a return to the WWE one day is not out of the question.

http://www.sescoops.com/jeff-hardy-talks-potential-wwe-return-anthems-legal-threats-wanting-to-be-world-champion-exclusive/

It looks like two more have left ROH. Lio Rush is scheduled to be on some EVOLVE shows and Bobby Fish announced that he'll be available for any indie bookings after March 27.

Amateur powerhouse Katsuya Kitamura made his debut for NJPW this week, teaming up with follow amateur star Tomoyuki Oka against the Guerillas of Destiny.

Rumors are going wild that after NXT Takeover in Orlando the day before WrestleMania, "King of Street Style" Shinsuke Nakamura may be heading to the main WWE roster.

I saw at Wal-Mart that John Hennigan also did a modern day movie as Sinbad and I saw him in the MMA movie Street as well. This had to be one of his best though:

New matches set of WrestleMania XXIII:

• John Cena and Nikki Bella will face The Miz and Maryse
  • Shane McMahon will face AJ Styles
  • The Shaq-Big Show match is officially cancelled. Instead, the Big Show will enter the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal match.
  • Neville will face Austin Aries for the WWE Cruiserweight Championship.
  • Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson will face Sheamus and Cesaro AND Enzo and Big Cass in a Triple Threat match for the WWE Raw Tag Team Championship.

Seth Rollins has not been completely cleared to wrestle full matches as of yet, but is allowed to do some things. Fan are hoping he is cleared for WrestleMania to finally face Triple H.

Dana Brooke has finally had it with being Charlotte Flair's b***h and had a face turn after she lost to Sasha Banks on Raw. Have a feeling Brooke is going to impact the Triple Threat match for the WWE Raw Women's Championship at WrestleMania between Flair, Banks, and current champion Bayley.

In the awakening of the revamped Impact Wrestling, they have announced they are partnering with Crash Lucha Libre and NOAH.

Reby Sky Hardy is still putting up a fight against Impact on Twitter. Check out some of her recent tweets here:
http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/reby-sky-hardy-continues-twitter-rant-impact-wrestling-anthem

Speaking of the Hardys, Reby's husband Matt officially filed a trademark to keep the "Broken" name and gimmick. He filed the same day that he and brother Jeff left Impact.

Bully Ray also signed with Ring of Honor after contract talks with Impact fell through.

Last week's Impact Wrestling was the first broadcast to officially drop the "TNA" name, all part of the repackaged plan by new owners Anthem Entertainment.

Returning to Impact are Matt Morgan and Chris Mordetzky. The latter is best known to WWE fans as Chris "The Masterpiece" Masters. Morgan had been doing the bodybuilding circuit but is ready to return to wrestling as is Mordetzky, who is in Orlando training for his return as well.

Rumors are circulating that after WrestleMania and his induction to the WWE HOF, Kurt Angle is the odds-on favorite to become the new General Manager of RAW when Mick Foley will be taking time off for hip-replacement surgery.

LMAO at the Paige leaks!!! Oh when do they ever learn? You young bloods can't be slippin down that path bruh! LOL, Xavier Woods next one liner, 'It's a nude day, yes it is!' Expect to see WWE making lots of changes after mania. Can't wait for Nakamura to debut, that's my dude!!

On 18/03/2017 at 2:00 PM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

LMAO at the Paige leaks!!! Oh when do they ever learn? You young bloods can't be slippin down that path bruh! LOL, Xavier Woods next one liner, 'It's a nude day, yes it is!

There goes any chance of a future induction in WWE's version of the Wrestling Hall Of Fame.

Impact Wrestling returns to U.K T.V screens on the 21st of April this year.

Link- http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/impact-wrestling-uk-tv-deal/#.WM6le6KnzIU

Joining Crash Lucha Libre and NOAH, AAA has allied themselves with Impact Wrestling.

American Alpha's Jason Jordan got married over the weekend. Congrats to Jordan and his new wife April.

Have you seen anything from Southpaw Regional Wrestling? Hehehehe Luke Gallows as Tex Ferguson. LOL. Cena is cracking me up here as Lance Catamaran. LOL

Japanese women's wrestler Manami Toyota announced her retirement after 30 years in the industry. November 3, 2017 will be Toyota's final match.

WWE Cruiserweight "Gentleman" Jack Gallagher is a former MMA competitor under his real name Jack Claffey

JBL and Ron Simmons will be inducting Teddy Long in the WWE Hall of Fame.

Eric Bischoff will be inducting Diamond Dallas Page in the WWE HOF.

Vince McMahon was in a minor car accident just a mile from WWE HQ in Stamford. Something went wrong with his Bentley and he hit another car. No serious injuries were reported and everyone seems ok.

On last night's RAW, Mick Foley was "storyline" fired as Raw GM. If you haven't heard, he will be taking time off to have hip replacement surgery. Rumors are emerging that one of this year's HOF inductees, Kurt Angle, will take over the role of GM after WrestleMania.

Pray for Jim Ross' wife Jan. She is in critical condition after getting into an accident on her Vespa, and she wasn't wearing a helmet. JR has been tweeting updates. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

The line up for NJPW's Sakura Genesis show on April 8:

• Manabu Nakanishi, David Finlay & Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Hirai Kawato, Tomoyuki Oka & Katsuya Kitamura

• Togi Makabe, Yuji Nagata, Tiger Mask W & Tiger Mask IV vs. Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens

• YOSHI-HASHI, Beretta & Rocky Romero vs. Minoru Suzuki, TAKA Michinoku & El Desperado

• IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Team Championship: Taichi & Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Jado & Gedo

• Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano vs. Kenny Omega & Bad Luck Fale

• Hiroshi Tanahashi, Juice Robinson, Ryusuke Taguchi & Ricochet vs. Tetsuya Naito, EVIL, SANADA & BUSHI

• IWGP Tag Team Championship: Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. War Machine, Ray Rowe & Hanson

• NEVER Openweight Championship: Hirooki Goto vs. Zack Sabre Jr

• IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship: Hiromu Takahashi vs. KUSHIDA

Finally, the whole Paige debacle has really affected her family. Personally, I'm keeping out of it, but her father Ricky Knight, issued a statement and is worried about the mental state of his daughter. You can see Knight's statement here.

Edited by AlbertV

1 hour ago, AlbertV said:

Finally, the whole Paige debacle has really affected her family. Personally, I'm keeping out of it, but her father Ricky Knight, issued a statement and is worried about the mental state of his daughter. You can see Knight's statement here.

I find myself conflicted over this issue. It's sad to hear how it is hurting Paige and her family but I didn't exactly avoid viewing the leaked pictures/videos. I do feel a little guilty now that I know her mental health is being impacted.

Everyone was surprised that the New Day appeared on RAW since Xavier Woods is said to be the other guy in the clips. Wonder how it got leaked. There's also rumors that Smackdown commentator Mauro Ranallo is stepping down due to his bipolar disorder after they said on the air he was absent due to weather.

Meltzer wrote some interesting stuff on ROH in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter recently:

Ring of Honor’s 15th anniversary show took place this weekend for a promotion that is in a very unique position.

On one hand, the roster has been something of a question for months, with a lot of talent in the company and formerly in the company in something of a holding pattern.

WWE was more aggressively going after talent than in the past, as toward the end of 2015, when contracts were coming due, some talent was getting offers but the only key person who left was Roderick Strong and others were offered less than their ROH deals for NXT, which would also be working far more dates for less money.

This year the offers were more similar in money, but it would still be more dates for similar money, or perhaps slightly more money. However, WWE then pulled offers agreed upon, in some cases with starting dates, after Sinclair evidently got wind of allegations of tampering and sent legal letters. Obviously the evidence was strong enough to get the offers pulled but it left a slew of talent in limbo.

The most obvious departure was Kyle O’Reilly, who disappeared after losing his ROH title back to Adam Cole. Officially, he decided against renewing his contract. The impression we have is with him in limbo, ROH hasn’t made any attempts to bring him back.

O’Reilly resurfaced on 3/9 at the National Wrestling League show in St. Louis. Promotion owner Major Baisden came to the ring and introduced O’Reilly as the special guest at the show. O’Reilly said that he will be part of the NWL St. Louis roster and would debut with the promotion on 3/26. He is expected to work more indies for now, and it is possible he could return to New Japan. If WWE was to make an offer, obviously that would be the place he’d most likely end up with.

Donovan Dijak also left the company last month and has started with Evolve and working other independent dates. He’s in a similar situation as O’Reilly.

Obviously the Hardys are going to WWE unless things change, likely after the Lakeland show or shortly thereafter.

Adam Cole dropped his ROH title to Christopher Daniels in the main event of the 3/10 PPV show in Las Vegas. The next day, he was kicked out of the Bullet Club. His contract expires on 5/1. It’s well known WWE has been after him for some time to be a star on the NXT brand. It’s possible he could do a New Japan/ROH deal or go to WWE. Certainly the ROH booking feels like they are not planning on him to be a key player much longer.

Bobby Fish is still on a short-term deal with ROH, which expires on 3/27. He has already sent out word that he’ll be taking independent dates soon beginning that week, which means he isn’t planning on signing a new deal. It is likely he’ll be doing indies until getting the chance to go to WWE. It was noted here last week that he had teased already that he and O’Reilly would be teaming up again, and it wasn’t a secret that O’Reilly was WWE bound, for NXT, at the time WWE suddenly backed off on signing people. While it clearly the threat of legal action that caused WWE to back off, since historically the company has been blatant about being the big dogs who can do what they want, bullying everyone with no repercussion, but in reality, while a bigger parent company called them on it, the victims are the talent since in the industry the feeling used to be that ROH was the place to be because of the New Japan connection and then having the former ROH go to bat for you to get you into WWE. With NXT being the direct line to WWE, and NXT really being the competition to ROH, that dynamic has changed.

Lio Rush is booked for Evolve at the end of the month and is another wrestler who had WWE interest but everything is in the holding pattern. Working Evolve is usually a sign somebody is leaving, and he’s also put out word he’s looking for indie dates (he didn’t have an exclusive ROH contract) and he could be like Dijak, who looks to be working Evolve until something changes in the WWE situation.

Dalton Castle, who is under an exclusive ROH contract, is believed to have that deal expiring in a few months. Independent promoters have noted that word has gone around that Castle will be available for dates later in the year, although that could be testing the waters. Castle’s act will get over in NXT if WWE has interest in it. As far as the WWE main roster, who can tell anymore because the WWE main roster booking has marginalized so much good talent.

There’s also War Machine, as Ray Rowe looked to be leaving at one point, and the tag team does want to stay together. They’ve since gotten over big in New Japan, so that also could change the dynamic.

There’s also the question of the long-term relationship with New Japan. The two companies are continuing to work together, including the annual May War of the World’s show that includes a 5/12 PPV show from the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York, but New Japan is also making plans for running their own shows in the U.S., and even running a regular territory in California in 2018.

How all these things work out, as well as how much of a commitment the higher-ups at Sinclair want to make are really the keys to the future, far more than current business trends, arguments about the state of the booking, buzz, or in-ring product quality. Sinclair has not put ROH in a position to have television production at the level of TNA, and even owned by a network, as opposed to a privately owned TNA until recently (and Anthem is peanuts as far as the size of its network compared to Sinclair, which is actually a far larger company than any company that owns a wrestling franchise including WWE), they don’t have the international distribution. In today’s environment the backing and aggressiveness in spending means more than talent and booking.

Basically if Sinclair wanted to, it could bring back the Monday Night Wars but whomever actually runs ROH for them would rather have a national indie show. Also, why does everyone think all of the departed ROH talent is automatically going to the WWE? I think some of them are just waiting to see what NJPW does next year. Remember Bushiroad, its parent company, announced that Okada was now their five year 200million yen project. I don't see why it wouldn't offer Omega and the Bucks and some of the above mentioned talent  a similar deal to be the faces of NJPW USA. It could be make or break time for ROH.

The latest on "PaigeGate": WWE Officials have determined that they are not going to do anything in terms of both Paige and Xavier Woods. Instead, they are going to let the situation blow over, but should a sponsor stop advertising and file a complaint, then actions may be considered. Paige's mother is currently seeking legal actions against the ones responsible from the leak.

The Hardy Boys: With their contract at Ring of Honor being short-term, it has been rumored that the WWE have formally begun contract negotiations with the Hardys. However, the issue now is should they decide to return to the WWE, will they be able to do the "Broken" gimmick? Matt Hardy filed a trademark for the gimmick, but Impact Wrestling still claims to own the gimmick, so that's a battle that's ensuing right now. More as this develops...

Bischoffs vs. Impact: Eric and Garrett Bischoff have filed a default judgment against Impact Wrestling due to unpaid money totaling over $114,000. Impact Wrestling has until April to respond to the motion, which is due to a no-show at Davidson County Court.

Wrestlemania XXXIII: A new match has been added with Dean Ambrose taking on Baron Corbin for the WWE Intercontinental Championship.

WWE Hall of Fame: The Rock and Roll Express will be inducted by Jim Cornette.