Chemical Lemon

88 Films SB Blu-ray

On 31/12/2016 at 1:26 PM, De Ming Li said:

Some of the folks on the Criterion forum seem absolutely convinced that HEX is an upscale and not true HD........

It's noticeably worse then the usual Celestial transfer, and the subs go way-out-of sync in places.

7 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

Apparently the shipping cost from ordering direct from the 88 Films store has jumped up considerably, anyone has the details?

Their reply@facebook for the shipping  issue;"  We were subsidising our postage before and now it's priced at a true reflection of what our fulfilment service costs to operate. Sorry if you don't like it but we were also seeing some of our limited editions go for silly money on Ebay so we thought we were probably undervaluing them hence the small increase. "

:wonderingSo if someone makes money in ebay selling their products that upset enough for them to make "normal" customers pay more....Nevermind I never ordered directly from them, in amazon.uk there has been good deals for their items. Hopefully it stays that way...

Thanks Tex Killer. So far I've bought the four Shaw titles released by 88, the first two (HEX, BLACK MAGIC) I got direct from their online store but the next two (FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS, HOUSE OF TRAPS) I got from Amazon UK. Amazon turns out to be slightly cheaper but of course I would like to directly support the label if I could even though they do set the price of their products just slightly above a massive third party retailer such as Amazon. Now SEEDING OF A GHOST will have a limited edition slipcase if you're fast enough to make one of the first 300 orders on their store but personally I couldn't really care any less for these sort of stuff. At the moment, for me it's a 50/50 toss up between their store or UK Amazon.

Just checking, does HMV ship internationally? 

4 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

if someone makes money in ebay selling

The guy who was selling these releases on ebay had them with slipcases and that's true that he asked for a very much higher price !

7 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

The guy who was selling these releases on ebay had them with slipcases and that's true that he asked for a very much higher price !

True..Limited editions=regular release otherwise but with slipcase, or "O-Card" as they call them. It should not concern 88 what buyers do with their discs but seems it does...

This is not related to the 88 Films Asia line but it seems that VENGEANCE and SOUL OF THE SWORD are coming out in Germany next month.

http://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?products_id=63980

http://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?products_id=63978

These are almost certainly from TVP but can anyone confirm that as their Facebook page doesn't seem to even mention them!?

1 hour ago, De Ming Li said:

This is not related to the 88 Films Asia line but it seems that VENGEANCE and SOUL OF THE SWORD are coming out in Germany next month.

http://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?products_id=63980

http://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?products_id=63978

These are almost certainly from TVP but can anyone confirm that as their Facebook page doesn't seem to even mention them!?

MIB released those two on DVD

11 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

But these two looks to be new dual format releases no?

Amazon has single bluray releases for those, also coming out next month like dual formats..

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01MTWDIR7/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1484492273&sr=1-1&keywords=DAS+BLUTIGE+SCHWERT+DER+RACHE

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01NBFQ0LX/ref=pd_sim_74_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=H1SGGWCNYA1ZV9QA3PAV

Real pity neither are english friendly, both films are excellent...

Interesting about the German releases. Too bad there is no English subs. 

Totally unaware about the slipcover for Seeding of a Ghost as I already pre-ordered from Amazon. Oh well! 

Coming out on Inked Pictures:

Soul of the Sword - Cover A Mediabook (Blu ray / DVD) [777 copies]
Soul of the Sword - Cover B Mediabook + T-Shirt (Blu ray / DVD) [111 copies]
The Water Margin - Cover A Mediabook (Blu ray / DVD) [777 copies]
The Water Margin - Cover B Mediabook + T-Shirt (Blu ray / DVD) [111 copies]
Vengeance - Cover A Mediabook (Blu ray / DVD) [777 copies]
Vengeance - Cover B Mediabook + T-Shirt (Blu ray / DVD) [111 copies]

Coming out on WVG Medien:

Soul of the Sword (Blu ray)
The Water Margin (Blu ray)
Vengeance (Blu ray)

The release date for all is Feb 24, 2017

@panku Would it be possible for you to re-do the thread on the list of all Shaw Bros blu ray releases with the formatted table? Unfortunately that thread went lost with the recent crash of the forum.

^ As expected english dub is there and as movie is masterpiece, sure purchase. I`m not fan of cover in general though, upper half is meh and low area is great. KF Bob should be doing their Shaw covers....

Edited by Tex Killer

good to see the killer constable disc is in English dubbed to I been waiting for a legit release with English language track for a very long time and its funny I was talking in chat with some one a while back about how I would love to see a legit release of killer constable in English dubbed and here it is THE KUNG F GODS ANSWER MY PRAYERS LOL  

On 1/17/2017 at 8:25 AM, De Ming Li said:

@panku Would it be possible for you to re-do the thread on the list of all Shaw Bros blu ray releases with the formatted table? Unfortunately that thread went lost with the recent crash of the forum.

I will be putting that back at some point. The reason I'm not doing it yet is that I'm looking for an alternative, since the way I originally did it with Excel would not format correctly when entered into the post. I eventually did it with html, but that required SMK's help to insert into the post and I was also not able to edit it (unless I bothered him every few days!). That was why I added the new info separately.

I would like to find a way to get the info into a chart that I can insert and edit like Chemical Lemon's itunes chart, however, he used Google Docs, which I do not want to use. I am open to suggestions.

16 minutes ago, panku said:

I will be putting that back at some point. The reason I'm not doing it yet is that I'm looking for an alternative, since the way I originally did it with Excel would not format correctly when entered into the post. I eventually did it with html, but that required SMK's help to insert into the post and I was also not able to edit it (unless I bothered him every few days!). That was why I added the new info separately.

I would like to find a way to get the info into a chart that I can insert and edit like Chemical Lemon's itunes chart, however, he used Google Docs, which I do not want to use. I am open to suggestions.

Some thoughts:
Some forum software allows the users to create tables (the admin would have to unlock this if it exists).
HTML is easy to modify (though it really helps to have CSS access to make them even more format-able).  The big but(t) to this is that the admin would have to unlock this per group/user (this depends on the forum software, plus it opens up misuse.) 
I've used Google Docs with success only to have an upgrade initially break the ability to use (though this could be fixed with modifying the admin properties on the software.

4 hours ago, panku said:

Hey @panku,

Not sure if this is really helpful, but I found a suggestion online and tried it and it worked pretty well for me.  If you start out in excel, and have access to word also, word seems to use a table format that's acceptable to this forums software.  So if you have word, copy the contents of your excel spreadsheet and paste them in word, this will convert the spreadsheet formatting to words table format.  Then copy out of word and past in the post and it looks reasonable.  I didn't go through and format my word file, by default it was fairly readable but the size of the cells were a lot larger than I like them and some of the narrow columns didn't size the way I'd like them.  But other than that it came over nicely.  You can then edit the table in word, without going back to excel and having to do this each time you need to add something.

If you don't have access to word, there's probably some equivalent free or cheap equivalent that will do the same, maybe notepad++?  That's a shot in the dark though, no idea.

11 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

The 88 Films BD of Seeding of a Ghost does not have the Cantonese track as promised by the box and menu, but the inferior Mandarin one.

That sucks but mine is already in route. Guess I could cancel it later but doubt that I will once I get it. 

decided to watch Seeding of a ghost with commentary the first time through since I've seen it several times. 5 minutes in I was feeling pretty good about the commentary and then the first "off the cuff" wrong assumption was thrown out, "The first major star to never have made a film at Shaw Brothers was Chow Yun Fat". Aside from all the things in there you could nitpick it's straight up not true at its narrowest definition.  Not a big deal, I get where he's coming from, but still, it deflates the commentary right at the start. It's at this point I start questioning anything I hear that I don't know enough to question. I still like it though, I enjoy listening to Bey anyway, especially when he has stories about his first hand experiences.