Chemical Lemon

88 Films SB Blu-ray

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

I just checked the 88 site pages, and now, not only the preorder page has disappeared, but also the " coming soon " page, and there is a new page : 88 streaming.

I hope that they'll continue to sell discs and that they aren't going to stop in order to sell only movies on streaming !!!

:bs_firey: Say what?! I would hope that streaming is a new addition and not a replacement of. I am guessing that if they do phase out physical discs at some point, hoping that we at least get a few more blu-rays out of them. And, check out the pricing for the streaming. The price is per title, not for a monthly service. No way that would be a good business model to follow imo. Also, check this out: Killer Constable: 89/300 LEFT  and The Mighty Peking Man: 69/300 LEFT. That is from their page: http://88films.co.uk. That was back in March so it looks like they did pretty well on those releases. I guess! Now, was 300 the total amount that they planned on making of each release (title) or was it just the amount of copies that they print up at a time and if those sell, print more? I think their reputation is from the physical media so I doubt that they would do away with it altogether. But, who knows! Maybe they are handing their pre-orders off to Amazon or others?    

55 minutes ago, reason108 said:

Now, was 300 the total amount that they planned on making of each release (title) or was it just the amount of copies that they print up at a time and if those sell, print more?

300 was just the amount of slipcovers. I don't know what the print runs are but Black Magic was at least 2000.

9 hours ago, panku said:

300 was just the amount of slipcovers. I don't know what the print runs are but Black Magic was at least 2000.

Yeah! That`s right! Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that. :monk_concerned:Oh well! It would be nice to know how many they are selling or printed up. At least they have ordered some more so hopefully they keep selling enough so we can get some more releases.

17 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I just checked the 88 site pages, and now, not only the preorder page has disappeared, but also the " coming soon " page, and there is a new page : 88 streaming.

I hope that they'll continue to sell discs and that they aren't going to stop in order to sell only movies on streaming !!!

Clicking on the 9 movies that they have available to stream (each has a price of £7.99) and the F.A.Q., it doesn't say if to rent or to own the digital copy (like Amazon, Vudu, Itunes, Google play and others).

If it is just to rent then £7.99 is way too high for a movie.

They need to give more info and better clarification.

On 5/3/2017 at 0:58 PM, ShawAngela said:

I noticed that there is no longer any " preorder " section on 88 page

I think that they got rid of the pre-order section because they don't want another repeat of

On 5/4/2017 at 7:52 AM, reason108 said:

the KC/MA fiasco

That screwup may have cost them some $ as they had to accommodate the many unhappy shoppers and they do not want a repeat.

Or it could be that if they give a release (pre-order) date they may not be able to keep it as "prepping" these movies takes time, as well as demand is growing (restocking, new release, etc,).

Going thru their facebook page, very few of the announced movies were given an actual release date.

^might be that but not good then. As not victim of KC/MA fiasco, have found pre-orders very handy. Specially as not going to spend net that much in near future(as been case 3 past weeks) cause of circumstances in house repairing. Italian collections with o-card sell out pretty fast so likely after used skull points drift to amazon.uk. Then can as well wait for price drops instead of buying at rrp.

Pity, though.

Edit;speak of the devil, pre-orders are "back"..

Edited by Tex Killer

On 5/20/2017 at 6:32 AM, Karlos said:

Oh damn! Thanks for the heads up.

I hope this sale lasts for a while. If I get some moola I want to pick this up along with MASKED AVENGERS, KILLER CONSTABLE and SEEDING OF A GHOST. These guys are releasing them way faster than I can afford them. :tongue:

At this point, I am all in favor of just getting a bare-bones release if it means that they will be releasing more films on blu-ray. So far, they have been doing a pretty decent job and I thought that it was a waste to include a dvd along with the blu-ray. And, though slipcovers are nice, theirs were not the thicker cardboard used for most slipcovers. So, it was a little flimsier. I really want to see them release Human Lanterns now that the German blu-ray is missing those subs.

Anyone have any guesses as to the upcoming hinted at titles?

01 Hex
02 Black Magic
03 Five Element Ninjas
04 House of Traps
05 Seeding of a Ghost
06 Mighty Peking Man
07 Killer Constable
08 Masked Avengers
09 The Oily Maniac
10 The Flying Guillotine
11 Bride From Hell
12 C
13 T
14 B

They have already mentioned The Brave Archer is upcoming

It world be great if "C" is an uncut Chinatown Kid but I have a feeling it would be either Corpse Mania, Clan of the White Lotus, Crippled Avengers or Clan of Intrigue.

"T": Twin Bracelets (it fits their theme), The Tea House (unlikely), Twin Blades of Doom (Likely), Tiger Killer (would be nice) or Treasure Hunters.

"B" I would say is Brave Archer since they already announce it, unless that is an additional "B" they plan on releasing.

23 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

The kid with the golden arm would do for me. Alas, there likely is not hd master for TKAM. Or for Chinatown Kid Uncut either...

The official release from Celestial is the HK version; not international version. Highly unlikely that they have the international version material. But, who knows. The HK cut is the version they released on iTunes so I highly doubt that we would see otherwise on blu-ray. The only hope for that movie would be TVP, but, then we would be stuck with no English subs. 88 would not give me faith that they could do proper justice to Chinatown Kid. It would be nice to have one blu-ray with both the HK and international cut in HD along with any alternate versions, deleted scenes, alt scenes, etc that are out there. Probably will never happen. And, it could hurt 88 Films reputation to release Chinatown Kid in its current HK cut without providing those alternate materials.  

Maybe we could get Bey to comment how much better the film is now with the happier, more upbeat ending. :smile He certainly did not have any problem sucking up to the Weinsteins when they were feeding him his dinner. 

Edited by reason108

5 hours ago, reason108 said:

And, it could hurt 88 Films reputation to release Chinatown Kid in its current HK cut without providing those alternate materials.  

Sure thing, barebones release of hk cut is garbage. Would not buy that barebones bluray even for £1.

On 6/9/2017 at 7:32 AM, Tex Killer said:

Sure thing, barebones release of hk cut is garbage. Would not buy that barebones bluray even for £1.

I don't know about "garbage" but I do understand what you mean. I think it is interesting that they filmed two different endings for the movie; and at least two cuts of the film. But, any release of this on blu-ray should have both versions of the movie and any other versions that have different scenes that are not in the international or HK cuts. The million dollar question is: "is there a negative somewhere that Celestial can remaster of the international version or was all of that destroyed at some point once theatrical prints were made?". If the only thing that survives is the HK cut negative then someone would have to locate a theatrical print and do a scan of that and remaster it. I would imagine that would be too expensive for 88 Films to do for this particular title. I believe they do that for their Italian horror titles but not sure Chinatown Kid would recoup the investment costs on that. Is there a theatrical print of the international cut still around? For all we know, the international edit may be sitting outside, exposed to the elements, at the old Shaw Brothers studio. 

Edited by reason108

On 11.6.2017 at 2:29 AM, reason108 said:

I don't know about "garbage" but I do understand what you mean. I think it is interesting that they filmed two different endings for the movie; and at least two cuts of the film. But, any release of this on blu-ray should have both versions of the movie and any other versions that have different scenes that are not in the international or HK cuts. The million dollar question is: "is there a negative somewhere that Celestial can remaster of the international version or was all of that destroyed at some point once theatrical prints were made?". If the only thing that survives is the HK cut negative then someone would have to locate a theatrical print and do a scan of that and remaster it. I would imagine that would be too expensive for 88 Films to do for this particular title. I believe they do that for their Italian horror titles but not sure Chinatown Kid would recoup the investment costs on that. Is there a theatrical print of the international cut still around? For all we know, the international edit may be sitting outside, exposed to the elements, at the old Shaw Brothers studio. 

Basically, I do not like HK edit at all. Have IVL is enough for me as never going to watch it again. Never. And as not 88 completist(do not have house of traps, black magic and not sure about all future titles) upgrading bare bones version of hk edit to bluray would be totally pointless. Violent version on the other hand is 1st class movie with(obviously) lot better action and also plot much tighter. I don`t think 88 would go to see lot effort and specially costs for longer version of chinatown kid. They are not famous for doing things "right" in every italian and certainly far easier titles. Few has missing italian "dub" even as would have surely been easy to obtain.

Their forthcoming italian titles not that exciting because strangely they choosed 2 ones where decent blurays already available on region B( long hair of death and slaughter hotel)

Edited by Tex Killer