Chemical Lemon

88 Films SB Blu-ray

Now that will be 4  Meng Hua Ho directed movies, as well as 3 from Chang Cheh, 2 from Kuei Chih Hung & 1 from Chuan Yang. Should they pick another MHH directed movie then my candidates are "Jade Raksha", The Lady Hermit" or "The Vengeful Beauty".

Still not represented are Sun Chung, Chor Yuen or "Pops"

2 hours ago, thekfc said:

Now that will be 4  Meng Hua Ho directed movies, as well as 3 from Chang Cheh, 2 from Kuei Chih Hung & 1 from Chuan Yang. Should they pick another MHH directed movie then my candidates are "Jade Raksha", The Lady Hermit" or "The Vengeful Beauty".

Jade Raksha would be great but as it`s 88, could be "kiss of death".

I don't see the interest of releasing a movie that already has multiple releases from different companies such as Flying guillotine.

88 would gain much more customers if they released some of the movies that everyone is after such as Black tavern, Black Butterfly, Twin blades of doom and surely other ones that don't come to my mind at this moment...

I'll buy Oily maniac because I never got the IVL version and only have the Deltamac version without any bonuses...

The Vengeful Beauty would be good to release too as it is Ho Meng-hua`s sequel to The Flying Guillotine. I will be picking up what I can and it is nice to have TFG with English subs. Not sure if any of the other blu-ray releases of it had them. Oily Manic is on my list, so, will be picking that up. It would be nice if someone could just get all the titles out on blu-ray. There are still some Shaws that I have yet to see. I would pretty much buy them all if they were available. And, it`s a damn shame that Pops is not being represented on blu-ray. There are a couple of Japanese and German releases out there but with no English subs. Otherwise, all that we have is the wonderful IVL 36th Chamber box set (with English subs). 88 Films could at least give us The Shadow Boxing and/or The Spiritual Boxer as those are in the ballpark of what 88 Films offers. And, The Shadow Boxing has already seen a Japanese blu-ray release. 

Edited by reason108

It`s possible we never see more obscure/rare as ivl movies movies on bluray...Famous titles/Big names as stars seems to be in vogue. It`s understable tho, they are more wide known. Ironically when us collectors might enjoy "not every collector has these" that also partly makes them getting br release unlikely.

Even as movies like black butterfly, jade raksha, black tavern and swordmates hugely demands release it`s still possible "the flying guillotine" sells better..despite it`s several releases already.

Should perhaps still support 88 with this even as initial feeling was disappointment.

Trouble with that great movie is I have seen it quite many times. And as it`s not action packed have absolutely zero interest to watch it in some years. Even glorious br release would not change that..

Hmm

18 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I don't see the interest of releasing a movie that already has multiple releases from different companies such as Flying guillotine.

88 would gain much more customers if they released some of the movies that everyone is after such as Black tavern, Black Butterfly, Twin blades of doom and surely other ones that don't come to my mind at this moment...

I'll buy Oily maniac because I never got the IVL version and only have the Deltamac version without any bonuses...

I thought the IVL and Deltamac DVD releases of Shaw films were exactly identical content wise? Or maybe I'm wrong......

57 minutes ago, De Ming Li said:

I thought the IVL and Deltamac DVD releases of Shaw films were exactly identical content wise? Or maybe I'm wrong......

They are the same except the packaging (cast artwork, logo & the writing on the back) and in some cases the menu.

I think @ShawAngela was referring to movies line "Flying Guillotine", "Kiss of Death" which have seen the IVL/Deltamac release as well as a Dragon Dynasty/Image release (with Eng dub).  

There are some movies that had the IVL/Deltamac as well as (amount others) a Dragon Dynasty, Image, Funimation, Tokyo Shock, Sword master (Well Go). Some of these title had a great PQ release so there may be no need for an other release unless there is an improvement - PQ, extras, uncut, etc,. 

1 hour ago, thekfc said:

They are the same except the packaging (cast artwork, logo & the writing on the back) and in some cases the menu.

Long road to Gallantry discs even are identical externally, pressed in same factory same time.

:monk_crying:It seems that I'm a little bit out of memory regarding the Deltamac releases...

But I have an excuse : I mainly watched the IVL versions of my Shaws' movies until now, so, I must have missed the fact that there are also bonuses in the Deltamac versions...:bs_coveredlaugh:

If so, and knowing that the Zoke releases also have the same bonuses as the IVL ones, why are people almost  " obsessed " to get the IVL releases and not the other ones (and regarding some movies, I'm part of the obsessed !!! :bs_coveredlaugh:) ??!! I wonder if the Wildside releases have the same bonuses as the IVL ones. At least for Man of iron, I'm sure that it's not the case, since the Wildside disc only contains the movie and nothing else.

1 hour ago, De Ming Li said:

The Brave Archer and The Bride From Hell just announced on Facebook.

:monk_coolagent:Brave Archer on blu-ray! Sold! Have never seen The Bride from Hell. Bring on the Shaws!

Something at the back of my head was telling me that "The Bride From Hell" would be one of the titles - it fits right in with 88 Films.

Brave Archer.........I am also sold.

Yes..

"

Chang Cheh is recognised as perhaps the greatest martial arts director of all time and 1977's THE BRAVE ARCHER provided him with one of his biggest box office successes. Reinventing the kung-fu formula in the era of Bruce Lee knock-offs, this period-set bout of fist-to-fist fighting and swashbuckling action used the hit Cantonese novel The Legend of the Condor Heroes as its basis. With a whimsical sense of 'old China', THE BRAVE ARCHER undoubtedly paved the way for such later wuxia blockbusters as ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA and CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON by weaving a lavish costume-packed story of rival kung fu schools pitting their best fighters against a series of trials and tribulations. Featuring an ensemble cast that includes Alexander Fu Sheng (HEROES SHED NO TEARS) and Ti Lung (A BETTER TOMORROW), the action comes furious and fast, the atmosphere is so strong you can almost taste the Far Eastern fog and the battles are some of the most mesmerising ever produced! Leading to two sequels THE BRAVE ARCHER is one of the standout Shaw Brothers adventures and 88 Films is thrilled to bring this classic to UK shelves in glorious HD, accompanied by a Bey Logan commentary and booklet from Asia-based academic Calum Waddell."

"bride from hell" is going to get purchased, never seen it :smile, as with TFG lot thinking needed to be done with BA...Tokyo shock disc is good.
My disappointing of last 2 kung fu announcements of course reflects to thing still hoping for "shaolin temple", there is not official release with english dub even on dvd...BR would be incredible
Edited by Tex Killer

It would be awesome if they give us "Revenge Of The Corpse" but that is wishful thinking. That is on the Zii Eagle box so hopefully it was remastered. 

21 hours ago, thekfc said:

It would be awesome if they give us "Revenge Of The Corpse" but that is wishful thinking. That is on the Zii Eagle box so hopefully it was remastered. 

I sent them an email about releasing it. But, who knows if they even paid it any mind. Perhaps if enough people sent them an email or posted on their Facebook page it might get released. I also asked them about To Kill a Mastermind. There are so many Shaw movies that would be a good match for them.

I noticed that there is no longer any " preorder " section on 88 page, only the " coming soon" one ( with the other usual sections ) and none of the movies above mentioned are mentioned in this section...

Did they already open the preorder sales elsewhere for these titles ?

17 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I noticed that there is no longer any " preorder " section on 88 page, only the " coming soon" one ( with the other usual sections ) and none of the movies above mentioned are mentioned in this section...

You can always check out Amazon.uk for approx release dates, flying guillotine is 28th of August.

Likely preorders appears to 88 site though eventually.

18 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I noticed a pre-order up on Amazon.co.uk for some of those films but not on 88`s web site yet. Not sure I trust 88 anymore after the KC/MA fiasco. As cool as the slipcovers are, the actual cardboard they are using is of a thinner material and not like the US slipcovers at all. It feels more like a flimsy cardboard to me. I guess that we will have to wait and see if they offer slips on their next releases. But, I would like a slip on The Flying Guillotine and The Brave Archer but don't care if I have one on the other releases. The only other advantage is getting the release a few weeks early. Looking forward to a few of their upcoming titles. 

I know it's early, but the cover art displayed on Amazon.co.uk for Oily Maniac doesn't say "Blu ray DVD Combo Pack" like the first 8 titles, so maybe they are going to go to separate releases for the Blu ray and the DVD. I hope so.

2 hours ago, panku said:

I know it's early, but the cover art displayed on Amazon.co.uk for Oily Maniac doesn't say "Blu ray DVD Combo Pack" like the first 8 titles, so maybe they are going to go to separate releases for the Blu ray and the DVD. I hope so.

They talked about discarding the DVD portion of their releases and offering a cheaper retail price.

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:41 PM, thekfc said:

I agree, not only is this a sought after film it fits 88 Films overall aesthetic well. I have seen a decent print of it which must have been the ziieagle remaster.

On 04/05/2017 at 0:38 PM, Tex Killer said:

Likely preorders appears to 88 site though eventually.

I just checked the 88 site pages, and now, not only the preorder page has disappeared, but also the " coming soon " page, and there is a new page : 88 streaming.

I hope that they'll continue to sell discs and that they aren't going to stop in order to sell only movies on streaming !!!