Dragon Ma

Official Girls with Guns thread

Drugs Fighters (Hong Kong, 1995) YouTube 2.5/5

Yuen Wah shows up at the beginning as a drug kingpin who escapes detection at the airport because he’s smarter than the cops. It’s almost as if his parts are two different filmed sections of the movie, though he does show up in the finale. 

The movie then gets into the action pretty quick, with Wah’s top boss (Ken Lo) and his gang fighting with the police, then getting captured, then getting broken out, then...one of the good things about being one of those quick cheapies, the action is nonstop throughout this part. 

But then, one of the BAD things about being one of those quick cheapies... the whole middle of the movie turns into a lot of boring exposition. I LIKE a good story on top of the action, but it’s NOT, and the acting is lame and filled with characters who aren’t interesting. 

When Yukari Oshima shows back up about the 50 minute mark we get a short fight/shoot out, but it’s just a tease as we then really have to wait for the final 15 minutes or so for the decent finale. Yukari isn't made up to be 'cute' here either. She wears a plain, red, unattractive cotton sweat suit through most of the movie. She does have a touching scene involving her very close male friend (no boy/girl romance for her) and then she gets to kick ass in the shorter than hoped ending. 

Her fight with Yuen Wah is short but sweet. NOT great, but fun when Yukari is on. 

325868-drugs-fighters-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

Edited by chazgower01

Never Say Regret (Hong Kong, 1990) youtube 3/5

Yukari Oshima stars in this low budget action drama from no-name director Lau Kwok-Ho. Yukari gets framed for drugs and sent to prison where she quickly makes an escape attempt, and later tries again. Caught a second time, she is then sentenced to death. Shing Fui-On plays the warden.

Meanwhile, Dick Wei, as a good guy here, and Max Mok are a part of a team that comes to rescue Yukari. A lot of it is shot at night, and my copy had no subs, but luckily most of the first half of the movie is in the prison, and most of the second half of the movie features a lot of ‘war movie like’ violence out in the wilderness.

The finale is well done, though Yukari could’ve been used more effectively. If this had been subtitled and on Blu-Ray, I suspect it could’ve been rated higher, as it's pretty well done considering a story that’s nothing new. I’d definitely see it again under those circumstances - all the performances are top notch, especially for a low budget movie like this.

Of note: When Yukari is first booked into the prison, she’s sent to get hosed off, and I suspect this is one of the few, if not only times she’s naked in one of her films. It’s from behind and very brief (and a shitty copy of the movie as well), but still surprising to see from her.

That first pic is a production still. I had a hell of a time trying to get a good pic...

NeverSayRegret+1990-4-b.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 7.33.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 6.39.21 PM copy.png

15 hours ago, chazgower01 said:

I suspect this is one of the few, if not only times she’s naked in one of her films

You get a brief boob shot of her in Angel.

20 hours ago, chazgower01 said:

Of note: When Yukari is first booked into the prison, she’s sent to get hosed off, and I suspect this is one of the few, if not only times she’s naked in one of her films. It’s from behind and very brief

I suspect they could have used a body double for this shot.

1 hour ago, Secret Executioner said:

Yes, I second that. I don't know if she would really have cared, but you have got to protect the brand! Japanese actresses tend (I don't mean all though!) to be less uptight about nudity. Very different in the two cultures.

On 6/26/2019 at 6:28 AM, Secret Executioner said:

It most definitely could be, but two things make me think it isn't: a) that body frame looks just like her and b) if you're going to use a body double, I'd think you'd be a little more revealing - if it isn't her, we'd get a little better view of the back side. If it IS her, they'd do it like they did, where they kind of keep it dark and partially obscured. I hope someday to get a chance to interview her and ask!

On 6/26/2019 at 1:11 AM, DrNgor said:

You get a brief boob shot of her in Angel.

Now THAT I really suspect is a body double. Once again, it could be either way but... 

2 hours ago, chazgower01 said:

It most definitely could be, but two things make me think it isn't: a) that body frame looks just like her and b) if you're going to use a body double, I'd think you'd be a little more revealing - if it isn't her, we'd get a little better view of the back side. If it IS her, they'd do it like they did, where they kind of keep it dark and partially obscured. I hope someday to get a chance to interview her and ask!

Fair points, especially the second one. I know some actresses from HK or Taiwan like Hu Chin got doubled for nudity, and it was stuff like sex scenes or extended nudity. 

Chinese tended to be big on slut shaming until Shu Qi broke the mold. Actresses in USA are much more uptight about nudity, with sex scenes with their bra on. Just don't bother with the scene at all.

1 hour ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

with sex scenes with their bra on

I've noticed that in some movies, often wondered whether it was an actual thing or just some poor concealing of the nudity (like the women showering with one arm across their breasts and one hand on their vagina in soap commercials).