Sign in to follow this  
Dragon Ma

Official Girls with Guns thread

15 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

I might be going a little outside the martial arts genre but...

Michelle Yeoh:

1987:

Magnificent Warriors

1997:

Tomorrow Never Dies

2017:

Star Trek Discovery

Hey, the thread is "Girls With Guns", so those films all fit. :wink:

However, I don't think you can mention Michelle Yeoh in this thread without proper acknowledgement that she starred in some of the best films of this Hong Kong cinema sub-genre. Namely, ROYAL WARRIORS (1986, aka. IN THE LINE OF DUTY), YES, MADAM (1985, aka. POLICE ASSASSINS / IN THE LINE OF DUTY 2). Plus, not as classic, but still fitting withing the subject, she was also firing off plenty of rounds in PROJECT S (aka. SUPERCOP 2) and WONDER SEVEN (1994). And I would go as far as saying she brought the "Girls With Guns" goodness to Jackie Chan's filmography with POLICE STORY 3 (1992, aka. SUPERCOP / POLICE STORY 3: SUPERCOP).

On 9/13/2017 at 1:23 PM, massa_yoda said:

Girls with Phasers.  Hey, that works too! 

Actually the expression for this one should be 'Phemales with Phasers'.:tongueout

On 2/8/2017 at 1:58 PM, D1 Ma said:

Not nearly as good as GWG movies of the Golden Era, The Special Female Force (2016) was a nice re-boot of Inspector Wears Skirts movies. I thought it was one of the best, if not the best, attempts of the last decade in GWG genre.  Unexpectedly brutal bits in action scenes, OK-ish shootsouts, Jade Leung and lots of cute Asian girls.

I got through watching this one recently and found it to be disappointingly absymal, although as @AlbertV pointed out a sequel is already shooting, so let's hope it goes the way of the 'Wolf Warrior' series and blows the first one out of the water.  I gave it a full review here - 

http://cityonfire.com/special-female-force-2016-review-the-inspector-wears-skirts-remake/

In my opinion that's too little. Dreaming the Reality puts much more popular genre movies to shame, action-wise and story-wise. It certainly is one of my favorite Moon Lee-movies.

On 4/22/2018 at 12:26 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

She mainly stuck to the Girls with Guns B-movie genre, of which 'Devil Hunters', 'Lethal Panther', 'The Big Deal', 'Angel Terminators 2', and 'Rendezvous of Japanese Kanto' all get a strong recommendation.

For more mainstream stuff, you can check her out in both 'Fong Sai Yuk' (with Jet Li) and 'Tai Chi II' (with Wu Jing).

Bumping this thread, I know, but I needed to follow this up:

I can't find a movie titled "The Big Deal" on IMDb, is there any other title for it?

Also, would you recommend "The Inspector Wear Skirts" (1988)?

Thanks for those recommendations by the way!

Edited by Daxtreme
spelling

4 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Bumping this thread, I can't find a movie titled "The Big Deal" on IMDb, is there any other title for it?

You can find the hkmdb entry here.

5 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Also, would you recommend "The Inspector Wear Skirts" (1988)?

It's definitely worth a look, just bare in mind that it's a comedy, but one which is bookended with a pair of great action sequences.

Just wanted to drop by and say that The Inspector Wears Skirts (1988) was indeed book-ended by awesome action sequences, but that the comedy bits were also really fun! I had a great time watching this movie, and would recommend it. 

There's a dropkick near the end of the movie that's gotta be one of the most amazing dropkicks I've ever seen. I was in stitches!

On 8/18/2018 at 11:37 AM, DragonClaws said:

Anyone know more about this title?

VirginApocalypse+1988-2-b.jpghttp://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=15299

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=15299

VIRGIN APOCALYPSE ANGELS WITH GOLDEN GUNS

Here's a trailer narrated by Warwick Evans:

Edited by Silver and Gold Dragon

17 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

VIRGIN APOCALYPSE ANGELS WITH GOLDEN GUNS 

Thanks for that dude, looks like someones just added the words Virgin Apocalypse, at the top of older title.

For some strange reason, the link you posted didnt work for me?, even though I have no problems accessing the HKMDB.

25 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Thanks for that dude, looks like someones just added the words Virgin Apocalypse, at the top of older title.

For some strange reason, the link you posted didnt work for me?, even though I have no problems accessing the HKMDB.

You have to remove the "&display_set=eng" for it to work.

Yukari Oshima is pretty good in Final Run and Power Connection.

Just in case some of you might have missed it. The 35mm transfer of Dreaming the Reality is now on my (defunct) facebook page https://www.facebook.com/HKKino/

Also, if anyone is interested to do a transfer of a 35mm (english dubbed) print for "Kickboxer's Tears" and "A Punch to Revenge" drop me a line. Thanks!

2 hours ago, laagi said:

Just in case some of you might have missed it. The 35mm transfer of Dreaming the Reality is now on my (defunct) facebook page https://www.facebook.com/HKKino/

Also, if anyone is interested to do a transfer of a 35mm (english dubbed) print for "Kickboxer's Tears" and "A Punch to Revenge" drop me a line. Thanks!

Count me in for Kickboxer's tears and A Punch to Revenge, name your price, if you want to sell, I'm interested. Regarding Dreaming the reality, I don't want/have (the refused my application for unkown reason) access to Facebook so if you're a seller digitally or post in another platform, I'm interested too. Thanks for the hard work!

Edited by Rodolphe Dux

This thread is GREAT !!

I'm usually not really interested in guns movies, but there are so many hand bare fights there that it might be interesting to take a look at some of these movies...

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

This thread is GREAT !!

I'm usually not really interested in guns movies, but there are so many hand bare fights there that it might be interesting to take a look at some of these movies...

You're exactly right, both kind of movies are tied together. I can't imagine a Girls with Guns movie without solid martial arts background. Like Iron angels 2 for example. Moon Lee without choregraphy, no point there. Moon Lee was a dancer in the first place!

19 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Girls With Guns in Hong Kong: Beyond Michelle Yeoh & Cynthia Rothrock

Link- http://www.back-row.com/home/2018/7/27/hong-kong-cinema-girls-with-guns

84YZQjTNjL94wmPcgsQ8OAVf7ox.jpg?format=1

Nice article. But have to admit that I won’t add Iron angels 3 to any must watch list, the jet packs scene is too much for me... But the first two are legendary!

Edited by Rodolphe Dux