I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
One Armed Boxer

February Mutual Review Thread

4 hours ago, Secret Executioner said:

Actually (forgot about it in the review) Ricky Cheng (seen in Brave Archer 3, House of Traps or Ode to Gallantry, to name a few of his Shaw Brothers appearances) is actually also in this, but much like Chiang Sheng, I'm not sure about his character in this film.

Great review SE, Five Venom's vs Wu Tang sounds like odd one judging by your review. What is it about urine jokes and Hong Kong cinema?. They even seem to creep into films that are not as far out.

Edited by DragonClaws

Many thanks for the great review, Secret. Sounds like a wonky movie. 

I will have to bookmark that link to watch this when I get home, it doesn't sound like Lu tops his hilarious performance in Fight Among The Supers (1985), but dang it, Lu as a gyonsi is just too delightful to ignore. 

Looking forward to this one, but now I better get back to work, lest some little kid kicks my butt. 

14 minutes ago, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

Many thanks for the great review, Secret. Sounds like a wonky movie. 

I will have to bookmark that link to watch this when I get home, it doesn't sound like Lu tops his hilarious performance in Fight Among The Supers (1985), but dang it, Lu as a gyonsi is just too delightful to ignore. 

Looking forward to this one, but now I better get back to work, lest some little kid kicks my butt. 

I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy this movie. :nodding 

1 hour ago, Secret Executioner said:

I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy this movie.

Yes, my enjoyment of schlocky films knows no bounds. I'm trying to picture Lu as a gyonsi and cracking up sight unseen. 

BTW, Ricky Chien is also the lead in Five Elements Ninjas too. 

21 minutes ago, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

Yes, my enjoyment of schlocky films knows no bounds. I'm trying to picture Lu as a gyonsi and cracking up sight unseen. 

BTW, Ricky Chien is also the lead in Five Elements Ninjas too. 

Oh he looks great in this. :nodding

And thanks for the extra information - I wasn't sure what movies of his to list, so I picked a random bunch that rang a bell (not that FEN doesn't).

1 hour ago, Secret Executioner said:

he looks great in this.

Lu's Taoist priest reminded of Tong Gai! How nice of him to give the little baby gynosi clothes, but there's a reason for that.  Bad Lu Feng emerges (would we expect anything less?) Bummed to see Ricky Chien's priest bite it so soon. He was fun. 

This was an enjoyable, thanks for the review. If you want a good and much funnier follow up, Fight Among the Supers (which Lu steals from Chiang Sheng.)

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi

8 minutes ago, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

Lu's Taoist priest reminded of Tong Gai! How nice of him to give the little baby gynosi clothes, but there's a reason for that.  Bad Lu Feng emerges (would we expect anything less?) Bummed to see Ricky Chien's priest bite it so soon. He was fun. 

This was an enjoyable, thanks for the review. If you want a good and much funnier follow up, Fight Among the Supers (which Lu steals from Chiang Sheng.)

So... Did I get the cast wrong ? :worried 

6 minutes ago, Secret Executioner said:

Did I get the cast wrong

Nope, Secret you were right. Ricky Chien is the mustached priest leading the army of gyonsis into the temple in the opening scene.  He is subsequently bit by Lu.

Chiang Sheng with his droopier mustache is Chien's student and more experienced of the two younger priests who try to come to Ricky's aid. Lu also does double duty as the Tong Gai-looking priest who wants the baby gyonsi for his own nefarious means. 

and yes the human kids were annoying as all get out in this...

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi

16 minutes ago, Secret Executioner said:

So Chiang Sheng is actually the older of the two good priests ? Thanks for the correction. And I hadn't noticed Lu was that evil priest, though I should have thought he was - then again, he's so awesome as the Gyonshi. :tongueout 

yup CS is the older of the 2 young priests.

I was very confused by which Venom was which for awhile  (for me it was Sun and Kuo) and I still miss a lot of folks I know already too. 

8 hours ago, paimeifist said:

I feel like a bit of a dolt, I thought yesterday was the first. Oh well. 

7 hours ago, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

Pffft...somewhere in the world it already was (that's what I told myself anyway!):laugh 

I can happily confirm that it was already February 1st here in Sydney, Australia when you posted your reviews.:tongueout