I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Hei Meigui

How are you watching your movies- stream, digital, or disks

i have been trying to figure out if there is a better format to watch films on. I like disks because I like the cover art and I like digital movies because you don't have to have the physical disks, but you can have the problem of legally copying them to keep them in a hard copy,

i am going to sign up for Netflix and see how that is but I'm finding more and more I want the hard copies.

how are you watching/playing your movies?  I have Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku stick, a VCR, a DVD/Blueray player and an all region DVD player. ( on a side note I decided to buy a Raspberry Pi and am going to use it as a hobby to set it up, learn programming so I can also watch videos and play games on it. I'm new to it so any help would be great!! I love tech stuff!!

What is your preferred way of watching your films? Is it important for you to be able to have s film library or are you good watching it as rentals?

I prefer dvds, but my electrical situation has snubbed the use of my lovely region 3 player, so it's regular dvd player for the discs I can play and burning films onto my Mac hard drive, for those I cannot watch on the telly.  Presently I play films on an aging region 1 blu ray player, an awesome all region player and my computer. 

When a film is not available otherwise, I go to Youtube, but I really don't like watching films on the computer. It seems very detached and unmovie like to me. Once I get another portable device, I'll be watching more that way. I can watch films on a portable device though (kind of hating not having anything for my commute right now.)

Film library for me: physical and digital. There are certain films, I absolutely must own. As far as services, only iTunes. Happy with that. 

I go through binges and purges with my film library though, weed out the chaff. Rentals, I only bother with a new non-Martial arts film here or there.

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Preferred format? Film of course! But for home viewing, DVD and BD. I do use VoD a lot for films that aren't available on DVD or BD, though. Toei and Nikkatsu for example have made hundreds of their films available in Japan on VoD as transferred-from-VHS prints, which I think is awesome. Saves you from tracking down impossibly rare VHS cassettes (and owning a VHS player, although I have nothing but respect for those who do).

90% of the films I watch at home are on DVD & Blu-Ray. My BR player came with some services on it such as Netflix and YouTube. Ive had this player for seven months and still not used my free Netflix trial. I have used YT to access stuff that I cant get on DVD or BR or items that are just too pricey to buy. Most of the stuff I see on YT is not Martial Arts related anyway. I did have a DVD/VHS combo but Ive let my parents use that since leaving home.

It's mainly Blu-ray & DVD for me.

I have the option for streaming & usually do the streaming when I travel.

I have a  VUDU, UltraViolet & Disney Movie Anywhere account (they are linked) and I upload a digital copy to them. In addition to that I also have Netflix & Amazon Prime. Whenever there is a promotion I take advantage of it - I own a bunch of movies on Amazon, Vudu & Disney.

I also download movies on a tablet for viewing during traveling when streaming isn't available.

i have been trying to figure out if there is a better format to watch films on. I like disks because I like the cover art and I like digital movies because you don't have to have the physical disks, but you can have the problem of legally copying them to keep them in a hard copy,

i am going to sign up for Netflix and see how that is but I'm finding more and more I want the hard copies.

how are you watching/playing your movies?  I have Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku stick, a VCR, a DVD/Blueray player and an all region DVD player. ( on a side note I decided to buy a Raspberry Pi and am going to use it as a hobby to set it up, learn programming so I can also watch videos and play games on it. I'm new to it so any help would be great!! I love tech stuff!!

What is your preferred way of watching your films? Is it important for you to be able to have s film library or are you good watching it as rentals?

I would recommend using your Raspberry Pi for programming only, and use your Amazon Fire TV for videos and games. You can install Kodi and emulators on your Fire TV, checkout http://www.aftvnews.com and youtube for guides on how to.

Edited by venom10463

I would recommend using your Raspberry Pi for programming only, and use your Amazon Fire TV for videos and games. You can install Kodi and emulators on your Fire TV, checkout http://www.aftvnews.com and youtube for guides on how to.

I have the Fire TV set up with Kodi and I just need to find safe sites to upload content. thanks for the link. I did like advised and I hooked the Fire TV up to Ethernet. (Having fun playing with the RasPi as I just got it up and running plating online here!! It's going to be fun, but I think your right there are a ton of projects it looks like I can use it for!)

I have looked at some forums online and see that the buffering that keeps me from watching El Ray is from the Roku Stick. I have to see if this is still the only way I am able to get Sling TV as I really don't want to buy a Roku box. All this for one network that I like really isn't worth it.

Edited by Hei Meigui

I have looked at some forums online and see that the buffering that keeps me from watching El Ray is from the Roku Stick. I have to see if this is still the only way I am able to get Sling TV as I really don't want to buy a Roku box. All this for one network that I like really isn't worth it.

Sling TV is available on the Amazon Fire TV.

I may have to change my tune about the computer as the Shaws look absolutely fab on the new Mac. Time to invest in a better chair, I think. This one looks nice...

new chair.jpg

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I have DVD, Blu-Ray, VCD, and VHS for the physical films. When I can, I do like to hit the theater for a film. With my film blog, I do get online or disc screeners sometimes so that's quite cool. I do have Netflix as well as Crunchyroll, DramaFever, TubiTV, and VIKI for my XBox 360. 

I have a ton of physical copies (I'm a collector overall) but I rip all of my films into a digital format stored on some external hard drives.  It is how I watch most stuff now. Although the HD versions of the Shaw Brothers stuff to stream is ridiculously awesome.