Hei Meigui

The Chinese Word of the Day

NiHao (Hello)!

Here is a link that will let you learn the Chinese (Mandarin) word of the day! If you click on it it should give you a new word every day.

http://www.transparent.com/word-of-the-day/today/chinese.html

zài jiàn (Goodbye!)

I have to learn how to type the accent marks!!

Also feel free to contribute a word :smile (It would be funny to know how to say "You Bastard" :swearing in Mandarin!!) :rofl

Edited by Hei Meigui

Feels like watching Sesame Street - except there's no chance Cookie Monster will show up and eat today's word.

Reminds me their YouTube channel had some videos about Mandarin with Elmo - too bad they failed to provide any explanation in English (like they usually do with the Spanish words Rosita says).

Feels like watching Sesame Street - except there's no chance Cookie Monster will show up and eat today's word.

Reminds me their YouTube channel had some videos about Mandarin with Elmo - too bad they failed to provide any explanation in English (like they usually do with the Spanish words Rosita says).

Ni hao!

Why did you say that SE! You know that I have to add that now!!

They do not have the translations because when you are learning your first language you manily hear it and have to find out what's going on. In this first episode there is a comments poster who translates a lot of it but we have to figure out by seeing what they are doing.

Here's the first video with Elmo in Mandarin:

Here is our second word It is "Hello Everyone"!

dàjiāhǎo

zàijiàn (goodbye!)

Great thread, I learned some Mandarin when I went to China in 2006, sadly I forgot most of it beyond hello and thank you(shay shay).

Now learning Japanese and my never ending 25 year quest of learning Spanish, oddly enough both languages share common pronunciation.

Great thread, I learned some Mandarin when I went to China in 2006, sadly I forgot most of it beyond hello and thank you(shay shay).

Now learning Japanese and my never ending 25 year quest of learning Spanish, oddly enough both languages share common pronunciation.

It's funny about that Tosh, I know more Spanish from growing up in LA and being around a lot of Spanish speaking people and I have been surprised how intuitive pronouncing Japanese has been as opposed to Mandarin or Cantonese. I have gotten to the point where now from the sounds I can hear the difference between Mandarin, Cantonese, and Shanghianese.

Ni Hao,

I hope you are well our word of the day today is "Movie Theater" I figured this would be a good word to know given the nature of what we talk about!!

The words for Kung Fu movie is:

功夫电影 
Gōngfū diànyǐng

zàijiàn (goodbye!)

Edited by Hei Meigui

Ni Hao,

I hope you all are well.

Today's word is Eat!!

吃 Chī

We are going to also hear how to say a few foods also!

zài jiàn (goodbye!) 

Ni Hao,

The Chinese word of the day is something you can use when your feeling a little romantic and want to impress your partner!!:bs_love:

(or if you're in the dog house! It also may be useful if your partner isn't so much of a Kung fu fan and you want to show there are positive effeects to spending so much time online and watching the films!!:bs_laughing:

Today's phrase is "I love you"

我爱你    Wǒ ài nǐ

and today we get a two-fer!! For all you Ninja out there here it is in Japanese you can slip in say it and be out before your partner even knows what happened!! :bs_roses:

http://www.howcast.com/videos/499328-how-to-say-i-love-you-japanese-lessons/

Zàijiàn!

Edited by Hei Meigui

NiHao!

It's ben a while since we had the word of the day. I saw this article which I wanted to share and it brought up a phrase of the day. Today's phrase is:

To act heroically for a just cause.

I thought of this phrase after reading this article about the wonderful job this Chinese police woman did in aprehending a dangerous man. Here is the link to the article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/peoplesdaily/article-3040450/Slice-action-Young-policewoman-lauded-hero-China-fighting-violent-robber-wielding-2ft-machete-BARE-HANDS-five-minute-struggle.html

Here is one of my Black sister's NOT acting heroically. I apologize for her:1:

What NOT to do when your Chinese food order is not to your liking:yociexpress05:

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2015/07/09/woman-calls-911-chinese-food-tracey-mccloud

NiHao!!

Here is an important phrase you may need, because everywhere you go..you'll have to go!!

Here is how you ask "where is the bathroom" in Mandarin!!:monk_crying:

Zijian!!

Ni Hao

Xièxiè xiǎo mèimei Angela (thank you little sister):26_003:

That gives me the idea of the phrases of the day! (I have to find a way to make the accent marks I may have to add a Chinese keyboard to my computer, I have on on my phone.

today we are learning how to say Older Sister/Little Sister and Older Brother/Little Brother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW1kHxdFEbw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDM7sOw3Tz8

And yes I am old enough to be called older sister!!!:khi9d:

Xièxiè jie jie.

A couple of words that may be useful to know (pretty much all I remember them from the couple of lessons I attended some 5 years ago):

China - Zhōngguó

Chinese (people) - Zhōngguórén

Chicken - jīròu

Edited by Secret Executioner

Here are a few sentences that I'm able to understand when I watch series without subtitles.

" ni shi shei " or " ni shi shenme ren " : who are you ?

"ni lai kai shenme "  : what are you here for ?

" ni chü nali " : where are you going ?

" chu chü " : get out !

" wo hen ni" : I hate you

" wo bu yao " : I don't want to

" wo yao sha ni " : I want to kill you

" ni shi wode er ze " or " ni shi wode nü er " : you are my son  or you are my daughter

" ni shuo shenme "  : what are you saying ?

" women zuo " : let's go

" wo shi lai ban ni " : I came to help you

" wo qiu qiu ni " :  I beg you

" er shi nian lai " : 20 years ago

" ni lai zhao wo " : you come to see me

" women shi hao penggyou" : we are good friends

" ta shi wode nan penggyou " : he is my boyfriend

" ta shi wode nü penggyou "  : she is my girlfriend

" ta bu shi nide die " :he is not your father

" hao kan " : it's beautiful to watch

" hao xiang " : it smells good

" hao jiu " : it's a good wine

" he jiu " or " he cha " or " he shui "  : drink wine or drink tea or drink water

" qing zuo " : please, sit down

I'll add more  when  I'll remember other ones, now, it's time to go to bed for me...

I'll add more  when  I'll remember other ones, now, it's time to go to bed for me...

Henhao (very good) Xiexie meimei!:10_003:

I love that you are adding words! It is fun to listen to the movies and try to hear familiar phrases.

Here we go with our Chinese for today, I can't believe that I have not presented how to count to 10. I have this in 2 ways - verbally and how to count on your hands.

Oh just a disclaimer I apologize if we are cursing people out and saying nasty obscene things due to not using the tone marks!! I know that words can be very different even though spelled the same!!

It's like Abbot says "Keep the peace; have patience; forgive offense.":yociexp30:

" bu ke nan " : that's impossible

" zhe shi shenme yise " : what does it mean ?

" zhe shi shenme difang " what is this place ?

" wode yifu " : my clothes

" wo hui lai la " : I'm back

" Ni ting who shuo " : listen to me (literally : you listen I talk "

" wei shenme " : why?

" wei shenme ni bu shuo hua " : why don't you say a word (literally), so, it means why don't you speak

" wo bu xiang xi (or xin, I didn't hear very well) ni " : I don't trust you or I don't believe you

" wode ren " : my people (in the meaning of my relatives, my servants, my family, my men...)

" hei hu die "  : black butterfly

" hei lung " : black dragon

" bai ma " : white horse

" hei sha xing " : black killer

" jian "  : sword

" dao " : knife

" xue " or " xie " I didn't hear clearly : blood : to verify

" yü " : jade, if I'm not mistaken : to verify