Hei Meigui

The Women of Martial Arts Films

Who are your favorite women of Martial Arts films or any time period. ( I tried to see if this was already a tread, if it is please let me know and I'll move it.)

Who are your favorites and what is their best film?

http://jezebel.com/you-should-watch-these-badass-women-led-martial-arts-f-1647060111

I really like Michelle Yeoh in almost every films she has done!!

I'm a huge Michelle Yeoh fan myself.

I confess to being a bit enamored of Cecilia Wong of Shaolin Mantis. I think I've only seen her in that and maybe Dirty Kung Fu. Party of this clip is taken from Stranger From Shaolin which I really need to find.

I've always enjoyed watching Joyce Godenzi (Sammo's wife) fight on screen.

Veronica Ngo of The Rebel and Clash really sells her fights. For a Vietnamese pop star, she does flying scissor leg takedowns like nobody's business.

I'm a huge Michelle Yeoh fan myself.

I confess to being a bit enamored of Cecilia Wong of Shaolin Mantis. I think I've only seen her in that and maybe Dirty Kung Fu. Party of this clip is taken from Stranger From Shaolin which I really need to find.

All I could find for now

Brigitte Lin in The Bride with White Hair 1 & 2 is pretty scary..... Its been a long time ago I watched them, but I remember I could feel the tension.....

Yes those where some of the first I watched, i was able to know what copies to get that were not cut from reading a thread on the old KFC forum about alternate endings.

This post was longer than what it is but due to some glitch in this network my labor of love to Wong mei mei was deleted.So this is the shortened version.Wong mei mei has starred in Stroke of death aka monkey kung fu,Boxer from the temple,Lover's blades,Ambitous Kung fu girl,Bloody Parrot and Magic Crystal as Andy Lau's sister.She has starred in other actioners as well but the ones I mentioned she gets to strut her stuff which isn't often because despite her high skill set and enticing good looks she never was the headliner for any of those movies.She was there to be a film highlight and nothing more.A shame really because lesser females were given chances to star in their own flick.To describe her legwork would be to say one part tan tao liang and a dose of hwang jang li. Don't believe me? Type her name up on youtube.You'll find something meaningful.To those who know who I'm referring to then you know I'm not exagerrating in the slightest.Yukari Oshima is my all around favorite but I always light up when I see mei mei on screen because more than likely,she's gonna set it off.At least when they allow her to strut her stuff.A bow to one of the jade screen's underrated heroines...Wong mei mei.

Alias Lady Scorpion.(My personal nickname for her)

Yukari Oshima & Moon Lee

Couldn't decide for one and on top of that they make such a great on screen duo! Favorites include Dreaming the Reality, Kickboxer's Tears & Angel Terminators 2

I would choose  the osh as my favourite then kara hui,moon Lee  and Michele yeoh.I have chosen oshima as my favourite because she was a real life karate expert and she could pull off the choreography as well.Kara hui because she was the queen of the traditional Kung fu movie(not a trained martial artist though)moon Lee and Michele yeoh because although not trained martial artist eitherthey looked good doing it.

Cynthia Rothrock is one of my favorite female Martial Artists. Despite been a westerner she could still handle the tough & highly demanding Hong Kong film industry. She holds her own in the excellent No Retreat No Surrender 2, even when facing off against Hwang Jang Lee. Love the way she swings her punches too, you can see she's skilled both on and off screen.

I quite like Lily Li. 

Doesn't spoil anything...

This was a  favorite moment in Executioners:  pretty brilliant (ha ha at the Carmen score in the background)

Some Gordon Liu for Hei too:

Interview that's translated into French:

and Shaolin Mantis trailer (she does great spear work in this and the film itself. )

They are too many too choose.

My top favourites are Angela Mao, Chia Ling, Shan Kuan Ming Fung, Lily Li, Michelle Yim, Yeung Pan Pan, Cynthia Rothrock, Michelle Yeoh, Cynthia Khan, Sun Chia Lin, Cheung Ching Ching, Cindy Tang Hsin, Pearl Chang Ling and a lot of other more less known actresses that I " met " in martial arts series...

No love fof Polly Shang-Kwan ? :crying  Granted I find her more cute when she poses as a dude (I find this is a thing with other actresses as well), but still.

I also liked Ivy Ling Po in The 14 Amazons

ivylingpo_9c48b8b84cb656992b66beca6b8b5c

about as cute as bad@$$, though the latter is the more memorable part.

return-of-the-18-bronzemen-polly-kwan_a4

I don't know if Polly Shang was posing as a guy in Return of the 18 Bronzemen, but that's the masculine look I like with some Chinese women that I mentionned above. On a sidenote, it would be sweet if she had her own 36 Styles shirt design, though the ROT18B one is really cool - and seeing her looks in the movie, I guess I have two good reasons for buying it now. :tongueout

I just realized that I made a mistake : of course, it's Shan Kuan Ling Fung aka Polly Shan Kuan that I mentioned in my list.

Ling Po, Li Lihua, Chin Ping, Lily Ho are also in my list...

I always liked Hsia Kwan-Li, the star of Woman Avenger and the co-star of Shaolin Invincible Sticks and The Leg Fighters

Like seriously, why hasn't Chloe Bruce gotten a lead role yet? Here she is in the Scottish martial arts action film The Purifiers taking on Dominic Monaghan, aka Merry the Hobbit!

I searched soomething reagrding Wong Mei Mei on hkmdb, and when I saw her pictures, I recognized her.

And I agree that she is also very good. I remember to have seen her in The convict killer and she was very convincing in her role. Thanks for having talked about her.

Bai Jing, star of Kung Fu Wing Chun, had talent and could have been an action star of today's generation. Sadly, we will never know due to her death in 2012.

For those interested, I wrote two long articles about women in kung-fu films. For me, it always be Moon Lee and Yukari Oshima, the dynamic duo of fighting. 

https://cinematichorizons.wordpress.com/2014/01/06/fists-of-doom-and-god-created-angela-mao/

https://cinematichorizons.wordpress.com/2014/01/09/fists-of-doom-sammos-angels/