I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Tosh

The Chamber Of Food and Drink

Along with the Fung Bros., I enjoy looking at his videos along with others he do with his friends OFF THE GREAT WALL.

Durian is a fun food.  Once I bought one from San Jose (fresh) and even while in the trunk the smell seeped through when I was driving.  I like it (good with ice cream, good in moon cakes), it is just a pain to have around.  It makes a good gag though.  Hide it someone in a "friends" house (preferably some air duct.)

We went shopping yesterday (actually the wife went shopping & I was just there to carry the goods) - she said that she need her "greens".

As it is getting cold she got more stuff that usual - she complains every year about the cold but is the first one out when it snows.  :speechless

This is some of the stuff we got:

On Choy

Bak Choy

Choy Sum

Yam leaves

Opo Squash

Taro

Napa

Amaranth

Saluyot/Jute

Ampalaya/Bitter Melon

Chinese Okra

Lemon grass

Bagoong

Patis/Fish Sauce

Calamansi Juice - that was for me.

Rambutan

Mangosteen

Jackfruit

Langan

On a side note, I have eaten just about everything thrown before me (frog legs, insects, ect)  but there are two things that I can't get myself to eat:

Durian & Balut.

There are lots of ways to make Asian style dishes very quickly. It can be called cheating, or having what you want quick and inexpensively!

If you like Egg Drop Soup there is a very quick way to make it at home. The way I am going to describe it will make one serving. THis really only takes less than 15 minutes.

ingredients:

1 egg

tsp Cornstarch

1 can Chicken clear broth soup/Chicken stock, or chicken bullion cube dissolved to make the soup base.

1 green scallion (small one) or chive

1 mushroom (optional - you can use Shiitake, or any other type of mushroom you like).

soy sauce

oil (a small amount for cooking the mushroom if you use it. Just about a tablespoon).

water

Kitchen tools:

a small bowl to add water to the cornstarch

a whisk for the egg and to stir the soup.

Small pot to cook the soup

Prep:

Beat the egg and set it aside (I do not like the yolk in my soup so I separate it and use only the white. If you do this you may want to use 2 eggs. (we have real eggs already out of the shell or whites of the egg sold in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. You can use that if you like.)

Chop the scallion or chive very thinly

Slice the mushroom very thin. (If you like the regular white mushrooms you can slice them very thinly and they will cook in the broth. they do not need to be precooked like a thicker mushroom.

put the cornstarch in a small bowl and ad a little water to it just to make it the consistency of non-fat milk. (use cold water to mix the cornstarch or it will clump up. This is used to help thicken the soup to your liking)

Cooking:

If you use a shiitake mushroom or another more firm mushroom, heat the pot on medium heat and put a little oil in the pot. You just need enough to cook the mushroom until it is soft.

now add the broth to the pot and heat it until it is boiling. When it is boiling you can slowly pour in the egg stirring it so that you make ribbons of egg not clumps. after you have the egg added, then slowly add a little of the cornstarch mixture. You only need less that a 1/2 teaspoon or so to thicken the soup a bit. The egg should be floating in the soup not falling to the bottom. The soup needs to come to a boil with the cornstarch in it to thicken. Once it is thick enough you can add the scallion. it will just need to cook a minute or two with the scallion. Taste the soup at this point to make sure it is seasoned well enough for you. (If you like your soup more chicken-y you can add some chicken bullion)

You can then take the soup and pour it into your bowl and add soy sauce to taste. You can always play around with the recipe a bit to suit you. You may want to add some powdered ginger, powdered onion or garlic to tweak the taste. Have fun!!

Wonton Soup

Another easy quick soup you can also do is use the same soup as your base and buy some frozen wontons from your Chinese grocery (look for the ones which are used in soup. (I go by the picture on the bag!!) Bring the soup to a boil and add the frozen wontons. For a single serving you may use about 3-4 of the small wontons, or 2 of the large ones. When the wontons are done you can add the scallions at the last minute. You do not need the cornstarch for the wonton soup. Add soy sauce to taste.

If you aren't a meat eater you can make the soup with firm tofu chopped into small squares. With either version of the soup you can feel free to add other ingredients as you like. The "house Special" wonton soups have everything from small shrimp, mushrooms, baby corn, carrots, and broccoli. For ease of cooking any of these ingredients can be used fresh or frozen!

enjoy

Two ways to make one of my new favorite dishes. I may just have to pick some up tonight. :)

She is soo cute!! This sounds good. If it's Korean it should be spicy that's nice! There is a Korean restaurant near me I plan to try out. This helps to see dishes to know what they are before I go there. Thanks!

I was looking at the recipe she did in your post and I saw this! This I have to try!!

Edited by Hei Meigui

She is soo cute!! This sounds good. If it's Korean it should be spicy that's nice! There is a Korean resturant near me I plan to try out. THis helps to see dishes to know what they are before I go there. Thanks

I'm glad I can help in whatever ways I can. :) I'm still opening up and learning/experiencing authentic Chinese/Asian cuisine. I'm to where I study what type food the restaurants serve. The ones that serve jjajangmyun are Shandong restaurants. I also use Yelp. :laugh

I also find solace in eating at restaurants with a mostly Asian customer base. One place in my area that serves Northeastern/Tongbei Cuisine had mostly Chinese. The food is excellent.

I think I would have to go to NY to have a wide variety near me. I miss LA where there was more variety of all cuisines. I have recently been on an Indian kick. It has been really hard here where I am in NJ for find really great Chinese food. There is one restaurant and they actually have the best Peeking Duck I have had in a long time. You would like the place it is small but can get really crowded and it is mainly Chinese. The owner and her husband are Cantonese and the menu is really home style food like Congee.

Two ways to make one of my new favorite dishes. I may just have to pick some up tonight. :)

That sure looks good.

I think I would have to go to NY to have a wide variety near me. I miss LA where there was more variety of all cuisines. I have recently been on an Indian kick. It has been really hard here where I am in NJ for find really great Chinese food. There is one restaurant and they actually have the best Peeking Duck I have had in a long time. You would like the place it is small but can get really crowded and it is mainly Chinese. The owner and her husband are Cantonese and the menu is really home style food like Congee.

That talk about a small Asian restaurant with a lot of (mainly if not exclusively Asian) people reminds me of the time (10 or so years ago) I went to my usual Vietnamese restaurant I mentionned previously, and I found a whole family was there (I'm still not sure whether they were relatives or simply friends of the owners though) - something like 20 persons of all ages (must have been 3 or 4 generations of said family). All the tables but one had been pushed together and so I ended sitting at the only table left in a corner while the rest of the place was packed with a Vietnamese family. I can't remember what I had that day (probably the usual Nem rán, spicy rice and some meal along with a pineapple juice and some dessert), but I remember enjoying the atmosphere - gave my lunch (following a dull morning at school) a welcome extra flavor.

:monk_eating:

Oddly, there's an Indian place down the street from me that I must try. However, I had been to an Indian-Pakistani place that was featured on "Diners, Drive-in and Dives". The food was amazing!

Great recipes going on, I'll have to try some out when I get time to do some cooking, @Jesse Smooth I'm going to have to take a trip out there one day, hit some of your places! Yesterday went and got hot pot, meat is on buffet and is somewhat different everytime I go, all kinds of different fishballs, organs - tried pig blood this time around, they send the veggies around the restaurant on a magnetic conveyor -

2015-05-25 17.14.44.jpg

2015-05-25 18.23.19.jpg

Great recipes going on, I'll have to try some out when I get time to do some cooking, @Jesse Smooth I'm going to have to take a trip out there one day, hit some of your places! Yesterday went and got hot pot, meat is on buffet and is somewhat different everytime I go, all kinds of different fishballs, organs - tried pig blood this time around, they send the veggies around the restaurant on a magnetic conveyor -

2015-05-25 17.14.44.jpg

2015-05-25 18.23.19.jpg

@Tosh, you know I'm down. I'll show you some of the spots. We're a border state and we have plenty of great Mexican restaurants, but there are some hidden gems. :) Korean fried chicken seems to be the thing now, but seems like that's only available in NY and CA. There is a shabu shabu joint not too far from me I'd love to check out (as I'm expanding my palate for Japanese food - just not that many authentic places out here). I will be planning another trip to San Fran's Japantown as they have some cool places there too.

Edited by Jesse Smooth

On occasion,when the winds blows me in the right direction I like to go down to N.Y. Chinatown and snatch up some region 3 dvds and whet my palette with some roasted duck fresh with the plum sauce to glaze it with and bring some back home to enjoy while I enjoy my flicks and chill with my feet propped up with my kung-fu fan in the free hand fanning myself.

:monk_flirting:

Had Asian lunch recently, and this time I ordered the usual spicy rice and Ha Cao (that stuff is really good but it fills very quick, so I make sure not ordering too much beside it) as well as some Nem rán, this time some shrimp flavored and a couple of chicken flavored. Haven't had the shrimp ones in a while, and I must say they are quite good, I didn't remember they had that rich of a flavor (better than the crab ones - and they are easily recognizable because of the shrimp tail popping out). The chicken ones remain my favorite though, they are the tastiest and when you take a bite, that big piece of chicken meat inside clearly lets you know what you're eating. 

Basically was one fine meal I had here. 

:monk_eating:

I just love braised Chinese eggplant.  Here is one recipe (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/02/sichuan-braised-eggplant-vegan-experience-food-lab-recipe.html).  I tend to have mine with deep fried tofu and chicken and the place does not use basil (hmmm, I should try this with basil, not thinking it works as well though).  Some do consider this mushy though.  I think adding chili paste does help (during the cooking stage), but then again I think it helps most dishes.

20130731-braised-eggplant-finished-dish-

Edited by masterofoneinchpunch

1 hour ago, Secret Executioner said:

All that stuff looks delicious @Tosh. And agreed, where the hell is @Hei Meigui ?!

Hope Hei does not mind me saying: She's swamped with real life and her job. I hope she comes back soon.  

And ditto @Tosh all that does look good. Finally eating kelp noodles, they're almost like rice noodles in texture but good. I admit my diet / squeamish stomach won't permit a good deal of what folks have mentioned here, but I've been hankering for Chinese spare ribs for about two years now (I don't eat meat or chicken - besides eggs) 

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi