I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Hei Meigui

Is Getting Netflix Worth It?

I am not able to get the El Rey Network :angry

and I have Amazon Prime (which actually has a lot of good free content for prime users), and Apple TV. Is it worth getting Netflix for any MA/Asian Cinema content? I have never had an account and I don't want to waste my money. I also only really like my films in their original language with English subs.

Thanks

I think so. I've been able to wait and catch some of the releases I was curious about. Great way to determine whether or not you want to fork out bucks for a dvd. Netflix has a pretty decent selection I think.

Some of my friends rave about Netlfix others are not so impressed. I got a free months trial with the Blu-Ray player I received for my birthday this year. Ive yet to get round to actually giving it a try. Because I buy a lot of film & record movies on T.V I don't really have the time to fit Netflix in at the moment. I think a lot depends on what you want, your lifestyle and how much spare time you have for films.

DragonClaws makes an excellent point, you should be able to get a free month trial from somewhere to give it a test run before you decide.

I used to dislike Netflix and really liked Hulu. But then Netflix started beefing up their content and Hulu started including more ads, so I switched my stance.

Netflix has more modern Asian films than classic stuff, but they are also starting to add Shaw titles and a few other older ones. They aren't all easy to find though. For me, they also have some great original shows and there are no ads.

Hulu has more international fare in general (especially Korean dramas) but they have ads everywhere, and sometimes they insert them in the worst place possible. For a service where I have to pay a monthly fee, it kills me to have to put up with so many ads. Although I will admit that the older content is more ad-free than the newer content.

When I mentioned not being able to get El Ray, someone kindly pointed out here (it may have been SMK), Sling tv https://www.sling.com/which allows you to stream El Ray for $20 a month (along with other channels.)

I am bummed our too expensive cable network does not offer it, but back to the topic at hand, Netflix.

I haven't used them in years (this was back in the dvd rental days), but as someone else mentioned they're more up on modern films than old school.

DragonClaws makes an excellent point, you should be able to get a free month trial from somewhere to give it a test run before you decide.

I used to dislike Netflix and really liked Hulu. But then Netflix started beefing up their content and Hulu started including more ads, so I switched my stance.

Netflix has more modern Asian films than classic stuff, but they are also starting to add Shaw titles and a few other older ones. They aren't all easy to find though. For me, they also have some great original shows and there are no ads.

Hulu has more international fare in general (especially Korean dramas) but they have ads everywhere, and sometimes they insert them in the worst place possible. For a service where I have to pay a monthly fee, it kills me to have to put up with so many ads. Although I will admit that the older content is more ad-free than the newer content.

They put more adverts on the more recent films because they will get more viewers. I dislike excessive adverts and the internet is rife with it. A lot of stuff I follow on YouTube now has random adverts inserted at any time during the video. At one time you never got any adverts on YT. Then they started putting them at the start of a clip. Now just about every video is soaked in advertising banners and clips.

When I mentioned not being able to get El Ray, someone kindly pointed out here (it may have been SMK), Sling tv https://www.sling.com/which allows you to stream El Ray for $20 a month (along with other channels.)

I am bummed our too expensive cable network does not offer it, but back to the topic at hand, Netflix.

I haven't used them in years (this was back in the dvd rental days), but as someone else mentioned they're more up on modern films than old school.

You know that is true I forgot about that. My local Best Buy used to seel sling box but they didn't have it I'll have to check Amazon. Thanks

They put more adverts on the more recent films because they will get more viewers. I dislike excessive adverts and the internet is rife with it. A lot of stuff I follow on YouTube now has random adverts inserted at any time during the video. At one time you never got any adverts on YT. Then they started putting them at the start of a clip. Now just about every video is soaked in advertising banners and clips.

I totally forgot Hulu also. That is on my smart tv as an option. I'll check out my play list options. I don't have time to watch regular series so if it something that sways more towards that I'll just stick to buying the Movies.

For me it was, I got it about 6-7 months ago, as someone who cut the cable cord 5-6 years ago I was missing my nature and travel shows, I've watched some Asian movies, there's some Godzilla on there, and I just found High and Low(Kurosawa) I haven't seen yet, also Jet Li's Shaolin Temple .

For $9.99 you can't beat it.

For me it was, I got it about 6-7 months ago, as someone who cut the cable cord 5-6 years ago I was missing my nature and travel shows, I've watched some Asian movies, there's some Godzilla on there, and I just found High and Low(Kurosawa) I haven't seen yet, also Jet Li's Shaolin Temple .

For $9.99 you can't beat it.

I admire you tosh I really should look at getting rid of cable because I really only watch movies now. well that and Ancient Aliens!! :rofl

only watch channels like the History Channel, Discovery, and that's about it, but I pay tons to have just those 4 or so channels because they are only offered in the Premium plan.

I don't want Ads, but I may do as was suggested and do the free trial. I looked at the Sling box today at my electronics store and it was $200. I think I'll go for it online as I just want the El Ray Channel or options for Asian Cinema Subbed.

I could just keep buying off of amazon, and iTunes and ebay but that gets expensive.

I admire you tosh I really should look at getting rid of cable because I really only watch movies now. well that and Ancient Aliens!! :rofl

only watch channels like the History Channel, Discovery, and that's about it, but I pay tons to have just those 4 or so channels because they are only offered in the Premium plan.

I don't want Ads, but I may do as was suggested and do the free trial. I looked at the Sling box today at my electronics store and it was $200. I think I'll go for it online as I just want the El Ray Channel or options for Asian Cinema Subbed.

I could just keep buying off of amazon, and iTunes and ebay but that gets expensive.

I haven't bought one(yet) but you can check out a roku box too, cable is a rip-off, I bought a digital receiver for $35 and get 30-40 channels for free, so I pay 9.99 a month for netflix, that frees up a lot of money to buy the movies I want to see, that wouldn't be on shitty cable anyways, I'll stream anything else on amazon instant.

Netflix has a couple seasons of Ancient Aliens, I just got done watching the Pyramid Code that takes a serious look at alternative theorys, very cool show :cool Another cool thing about netflix is two users can use it at the same time, my gf uses it more than I do lol well worth it imo.

I'll add to Tosh's sentiments about Roku. It's a great little product that is easy to use and has enough apps to keep you coming back for more! You can access Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Google Play movies, etc.

Here in my house we really enjoy Netflix. We also have cable, and it's ridiculously expensive, especially considering we watch about 15 channels out of a thousand! A lot of the stuff that we want only comes in packages with a ton of stuff we don't want. We pay for all these sports channels, but no one here is into watching sports, so it's money for nothing.

Recently SMK turned me on to the Amazon Fire Stick as a way to see everything we want, and save a great deal of money. It arrived right before my 'hospital weekend' though, and I still haven't tried it yet. But he seems to think that once I do, I won't want cable or Netflix anymore! :tongueout He hasn't steered me wrong yet, so I'm optimistic. I'll report back once I try it.

You guys have some really good suggestions. I have not looked at Hulu, but it's on my TV. I asked one of the guys at my electronic store if I needed it and since I have a smart TV and Apple TV he said it would be overkill. I would need to do something with a subscription if I wanted to get rid of cable, but the problem here is I have Cable, Internet, and Telephone through Comcast Xfinity :puke:devil and I'm a bit stuck. If I separate all of the services I will end up paying more. the shame is I only use the phone for my fax machine because I work from home at times and I only have Comcast or Verizon, then I would have to have someone else for internet and then pay for cable or some streaming service. I'm really stuck, and Comcast knows it. :crying

Here in my house we really enjoy Netflix. We also have cable, and it's ridiculously expensive, especially considering we watch about 15 channels out of a thousand! A lot of the stuff that we want only comes in packages with a ton of stuff we don't want. We pay for all these sports channels, but no one here is into watching sports, so it's money for nothing.

Recently SMK turned me on to the Amazon Fire Stick as a way to see everything we want, and save a great deal of money. It arrived right before my 'hospital weekend' though, and I still haven't tried it yet. But he seems to think that once I do, I won't want cable or Netflix anymore! :tongueout He hasn't steered me wrong yet, so I'm optimistic. I'll report back once I try it.

Do tell...

Do tell...

Still not 100% sold on the Amazon Fire Stick. Though it has tremendous amounts of content options, I have almost zero tolerance for buffering problems in the middle of watching something. About 50% of what we've watched played beautifully. But the rest... ugh! When we are trying to watch something with lots of atmosphere, and tension building, and it starts pausing, buffering, getting stuck, it drives me crazy. Now we are using a router, not a hard-wire, so that may make a big difference. Plus I found out that the speed my provider has available isn't even half of what SMK's provides.

Still not 100% sold on the Amazon Fire Stick. Though it has tremendous amounts of content options, I have almost zero tolerance for buffering problems in the middle of watching something. About 50% of what we've watched played beautifully. But the rest... ugh! When we are trying to watch something with lots of atmosphere, and tension building, and it starts pausing, buffering, getting stuck, it drives me crazy. Now we are using a router, not a hard-wire, so that may make a big difference. Plus I found out that the speed my provider has available isn't even half of what SMK's provides.

Ok good to know, I haven't had many problems streaming netflix so far, comcast keeps calling telling me they can give me faster internet service(I cut cable but have internet with them) but I'm wary as they give the the introductory rate then your bill shoots up to 150 clams a couple months later.

I swear when there's another option I'll take major pleasure in telling comcast to strait fck right off! :hvb_cursing:

Uhhh maybe it's just me but you should stay away from ANYTHING that has the potential to stress you out!! (No more weekend getaways!!:bs_laughing:. Oh and how are you doing by the way? I hope everything is well.

I listened to you all's suggestions so I decided to get the Roku stick and that let me be able to get the El Ray Network which has actually been a bigger expense for me. The ONLY thing that I didn't have that the Roku has is the El Ray and I am now paying the monthly fee for the Roku and El Ray buffers almost all the time. :angryLike literally every time I watch it. Plus I like my old school kung fu subbed and they mainly do dubbed.

If I think about my usage now I'm really stuck with cable as I have my landline, internet and cable through them and even though I watch only 4 channels they are the ones that are only in the package like you stated.

I am going to give Netflix a free month and see but I think that what I now have is overkill. I have AppleTV, Amazon Prime, Cable, and Roku. It was good when I was just watching the current Asian cinema because Amazon streaming was good for that, but liking Shaws and such, I'm better off with purchasing DVD's off Amazon and Ebay, and getting them on ITunes. If I'm going to be broke I'd rather actually own the films.