Hei Meigui

Is Getting Netflix Worth It?

Ok good to know, I haven't had many problems streaming netflix so far, comcast keeps calling telling me they can give me faster internet service(I cut cable but have internet with them) but I'm wary as they give the the introductory rate then your bill shoots up to 150 clams a couple months later.

I swear when there's another option I'll take major pleasure in telling comcast to strait fck right off! :hvb_cursing:

When you do tell them..get me on the phone threeway or at least upload a vid to youtube so I can live vicariously through you!!!:clappinghands

For whats its worth, I have the Roku stick, and it almost never has to stop and buffer in the midst of watching something..

and I have terrible rural mountain DSL.

Interesting...

Ok good to know, I haven't had many problems streaming netflix so far, comcast keeps calling telling me they can give me faster internet service(I cut cable but have internet with them) but I'm wary as they give the the introductory rate then your bill shoots up to 150 clams a couple months later.

I swear when there's another option I'll take major pleasure in telling comcast to strait fck right off! :hvb_cursing:

Yes, they always get you that way. Some people are suggesting I switch to FIOS.

Ah yes... I've had some... er, wonderful times on the phone with Comcast. :dull Usually it's wait times and then getting disconnected. But I've typically spoken to very helpful tech support... when I finally reach them.

Uhhh maybe it's just me but you should stay away from ANYTHING that has the potential to stress you out!! (No more weekend getaways!!:bs_laughing:. Oh and how are you doing by the way? I hope everything is well.

I listened to you all's suggestions so I decided to get the Roku stick and that let me be able to get the El Ray Network which has actually been a bigger expense for me. The ONLY thing that I didn't have that the Roku has is the El Ray and I am now paying the monthly fee for the Roku and El Ray buffers almost all the time. :angryLike literally every time I watch it. Plus I like my old school kung fu subbed and they mainly do dubbed.

If I think about my usage now I'm really stuck with cable as I have my landline, internet and cable through them and even though I watch only 4 channels they are the ones that are only in the package like you stated.

I am going to give Netflix a free month and see but I think that what I now have is overkill. I have AppleTV, Amazon Prime, Cable, and Roku. It was good when I was just watching the current Asian cinema because Amazon streaming was good for that, but liking Shaws and such, I'm better off with purchasing DVD's off Amazon and Ebay, and getting them on ITunes. If I'm going to be broke I'd rather actually own the films.

Doing well, thanks! :wink:

So, am I understanding correctly, you bought the Roku Stick mainly for El Ray, and it keeps failing you in this one, much-needed operation? :squigglemouth:

When I think of how often streaming lets me down (about 30-50% of the time) compared with how many defective discs I've tried to play out of several thousand (maybe 1%), it's pretty clear to me what's dependable.

Interesting...

So, am I understanding correctly, you bought the Roku Stick mainly for El Ray, and it keeps failing you in this one, much-needed operation? :squigglemouth:

When I think of how often streaming lets me down (about 30-50% of the time) compared with how many defective discs I've tried to play out of several thousand (maybe 1%), it's pretty clear to me what's dependable.

I can clarify...I bought it ONLY for Sling TV network, who here is the only way I can get the El Ray Network (without switching to Dish), and only for kung fu movies which are shown basically 1 night a week, dubbed, and ALWAYS buffer. I stopped trying to watch it due to how frustrating it was. Sooooo I spend $100 for the Roku Stick and Sling TV is $20 a month for one crappy channel. But still...it's not all bad..El Ray has an original series called From Dusk Till Dawn that is pretty cool in a vampirish kind of way, its just that pesky buffering!! And not to beat a dead horse but El Ray has advertisements. It's quite jarring to jump from a kung fu beat down to an ad for paper towels!!

I can clarify...I bought it ONLY for Sling TV network, who here is the only way I can get the El Ray Network (without switching to Dish), and only for kung fu movies which are shown basically 1 night a week, dubbed, and ALWAYS buffer. I stopped trying to watch it due to how frustrating it was. Sooooo I spend $100 for the Roku Stick and Sling TV is $20 a month for one crappy channel. But still...it's not all bad..El Ray has an original series called From Dusk Till Dawn that is pretty cool in a vampirish kind of way, its just that pesky buffering!! And not to beat a dead horse but El Ray has advertisements. It's quite jarring to jump from a kung fu beat down to an ad for paper towels!!

How far is your Roku stick from your router? It sounds like you're not getting enough bandwidth due to distance or interference from other wireless devices in your home. If you have a dual band router and your Roku stick has dual antennas, try switching to the 5Ghz band.

How far is your Roku stick from your router? It sounds like you're not getting enough bandwidth due to distance or interference from other wireless devices in your home. If you have a dual band router and your Roku stick has dual antennas, try switching to the 5Ghz band.

My Roku stick is about 5 or 6 feet from the router and the only thing that is wifi right near it is the TV which uses wifi. I do also have a security system which operates from wifi that is directly next to the router.  I do have to check about the way my wifi is set up as I think my router is dual band but I am not seeing it showing up. I have also had a lot of issues with Comcast regarding my signal strength and speed. Thanks for that information.

Edited by Hei Meigui

i would say yes Netflix is worth it. I had it for a while ( use to do the DVD rental way back then together with Blockbuster). I also have Amazon Prime but I mostly watch Netflix while the wifesticks to Amazon.

I have both the Roku 3 and an Amazon Fire TV (2 of each).

I had the Roku 3 for a while, Had Dishworld back then and when SlingTV came that was an added bonus.

One great thing about the Roku are the private channels (there are a few good ones out there) and for Amazon is Kodi/XMBC. The Roku is my everyday go to device while I mainly use the Fire TV for Kodi & Amazon streaming.

For the I decided to forgo wifi and go for the wired connections instead. I already had a 4-port router but since I needed additional connection I bought a giga network switch. I currently have 10 units hooked up to my router & switch and I get not buffering issues (actually ones in a while but nothing to complain about). I have Optimum as my internet provider.

For the I decided to forgo wifi and go for the wired connections instead. I already had a 4-port router but since I needed additional connection I bought a giga network switch. I currently have 10 units hooked up to my router & switch and I get not buffering issues (actually ones in a while but nothing to complain about). I have Optimum as my internet provider.

Hey that is a great idea. I had not thought of doing a wired connection I think that might work out really well. Having Comcast as our cable provider sucks as the reception can be spotty just for random reasons. Last night the Cable was on but the internet connection just disconnected. it was out for about an hour then my modem reset and it was back up again.

i would say yes Netflix is worth it. I had it for a while ( use to do the DVD rental way back then together with Blockbuster). I also have Amazon Prime but I mostly watch Netflix while the wifesticks to Amazon.

I have both the Roku 3 and an Amazon Fire TV (2 of each).

One great thing about the Roku are the private channels (there are a few good ones out there) and for Amazon is Kodi/XMBC. The Roku is my everyday go to device while I mainly use the Fire TV for Kodi & Amazon streaming.

I have 1 Fire TV box, and 2 Fire TV Sticks in the house, all running Kodi! I also have it installed on my tablets and phones. All set. :wink

Also have Netflix and Amazon Prime for convenience. 

I have 1 Fire TV box, and 2 Fire TV Sticks in the house, all running Kodi! I also have it installed on my tablets and phones. All set. :wink

Also have Netflix and Amazon Prime for convenience. 

So Abbot, I did not know what you were talking about with Kodi so I did some research:

So now I have way more decisions to make!! Kodi vs Plex - Roku vs Fire Stick!! It does look like Fire Stick does have an app for Sling TV free so...lots of decisions! It does however look like I need to make a decision about buying the Stick to use Kodi fast as Amazon has removed the app and may fight support of it.

I think what I have is very redundant because they are really only used for one thing.

2 smart TV's where i used to use the built in Amazon app for my Prime content

2 Apple TV's for the iTunes Streaming. This was mainly for the Shaw brother's movies

I watch my DVD/VCD's on My DVD/Blue Ray player or my all region DVD player

The Roku stick for Sling TV

It wont hurt to try the free month of Netflix.

In my travels around the internet researching this I found this online channel with free classic kung fu movies played live.

Filmon TV

https://www.filmon.com/channel/kung-fu-classics

Oh wait never mind maybe, it's full of Bruceploitation flix with some Jackie Chan and Jet Li stuff!!

Edited by Hei Meigui

Amazon just released a new version of the Fire TV Box, which is not only more powerful, but offers 4K streaming, for apps that offer it or will soon offer it. If you don't have a 4K TV yet, then at least the option is there if you ever do get one.

There are a lot of free movies/tv shows streaming apps available. 

ANY app Amazon may not support directly, because the Amazon Fire TV runs on Android, you can still sideload anything. 

I also have Nintendo 64 and Playstation emulators on my Fire TV, with games for each as well. Works perfectly with the Amazon controller, or my Xbox 360 controller.

With the new software updates coming to the Fire TV, I strongly recommend it over the new Apple TV, that is unless you are already using a iPhone and iPad. But if you are a Amazon Prime Member, then again, strongly recommend Amazon Fire TV box, with ethernet cable plugged in directly if possible. 

Amazon just released a new version of the Fire TV Box, which is not only more powerful, but offers 4K streaming, for apps that offer it or will soon offer it. If you don't have a 4K TV yet, then at least the option is there if you ever do get one.

ANY app Amazon may not support directly, because the Amazon Fire TV runs on Android, you can still sideload anything. 

I also have Nintendo 64 and Playstation emulators on my Fire TV, with games for each as well. Works perfectly with the Amazon controller, or my Xbox 360 controller.

With the new software updates coming to the Fire TV, I strongly recommend it over the new Apple TV, that is unless you are already using a iPhone and iPad. But if you are a Amazon Prime Member, then again, strongly recommend Amazon Fire TV box, with ethernet cable plugged in directly if possible. 

I agree with everything SMK said. Amazon Fire TV is the best choice for streaming media players, and with Kodi installed, you have an endless amount of tv shows and movies at your disposal.

Not to be outdone, Roku is releasing the Roku 4 which offers 4K streaming. Release date is Oct 21st.

Not to be outdone, Roku is releasing the Roku 4 which offers 4K streaming. Release date is Oct 21st.

One of the many reasons why I believe the new Amazon Fire TV box is still far superior over Roku 4, is because it is based on Android. Which means there's a helluva lot more you could do with it. PLUS, it's made for casual gaming, which they are also releasing the improved game controller for the new Fire TV.

I am going to get the Amazon Fire Stick for my TV upstairs and the Amazon Fire Box for downstairs and have Kodi on them both. I have the Roku and there is no real reason I can see to get the new Apple TV yet. All I have to decide is do I want them now or when the talking remote comes out.

Edited by Hei Meigui

I am going to get the Amazon Fire Stick for my TV upstairs and the Amazon Fire Box for downstairs and have Kodi on them both. I have the Roku and there is no real reason I can see to get the new Apple TV yet. All I have to decide is do I want them now or when the talking remote comes out.

And don't forget to install the addons for Kodi.

There are a lot of great ones out there - just do a little reading on them (or test drive them) to see which one suits you.

For example, my wife is Asian and we have at lease 1 TV channel from just about every country in East Asia & South East Asia (from China to Singapore to Vietnam) - all on Kodi.

There is a lot of addons and at first it may seems overwhelming, so just take your time and enjoy.

And don't forget to install the addons for Kodi.

There are a lot of great ones out there - just do a little reading on them (or test drive them) to see which one suits you.

For example, my wife is Asian and we have at lease 1 TV channel from just about every country in East Asia & South East Asia (from China to Singapore to Vietnam) - all on Kodi.

There is a lot of addons and at first it may seems overwhelming, so just take your time and enjoy.

I was looking at that I remembered that Abbot said that Kodi was Android based so i downloaded it on my LG G4 phone and I am getting used to the layout. Thanks. Trust me I will be back with questions when I buy it this Friday!!

Okay so I bought the Amazon Fire TV Box and the Fire Stick and have Kodi loaded on them, just need to find good things to load that are from safe sources and get used to the layout.

Im not doing Netflix and I am going to use Fire over Roku because Fire has Sling TV which has El Ray and I am trying not to be so redundant!.I have Apple TV for iTunes content so I'm good to go with that.  I am going to get this sorted out so I can bump down to basic cable as I really only watch about 4 channels and they are at the high end of the HD content and they are just the History channel and such. I never watch HBO or Showtime so it is a waste of money for that. I'm paying around $320 a month for Internet, Phone and Cable for a few channels on Cable. They had me in a contract that started at $100 for everything and then it jumped up that high. At least since I need the internet for my work I can use it as a tax write off partially but that's ridiculous. Comcast is getting ready to have to kiss my hiney!!

Edited by Hei Meigui

Okay so I bought the Amazon Fire TV Box and the Fire Stick and have Kodi loaded on them, just need to find good things to load that are from safe sources and get used to the layout.

Im not doing Netflix and I am going to use Fire over Roku because Fire has Sling TV which has El Ray and I am trying not to be so redundant!.I have Apple TV for iTunes content so I'm good to go with that.  I am going to get this sorted out so I can bump down to basic cable as I really only watch about 4 channels and they are at the high end of the HD content and they are just the History channel and such. I never watch HBO or Showtime so it is a waste of money for that. I'm paying around $320 a month for Internet, Phone and Cable for a few channels on Cable. They had me in a contract that started at $100 for everything and then it jumped up that high. At least since I need the internet for my work I can use it as a tax write off partially but that's ridiculous. Comcast is getting ready to have to kiss my hiney!!

$320 a month? Ouch!!!!

I too was paying too much for cable/channels that I wasn't watching.

So I decided to cut the cable & then I also cut the phone line - we just wasn't using it as we both were using our cell 99% of the times.

We just keep the internet.

The channels that my wife used to watch when we had cable are available on Sling TV.

For local channels I bought an indoor antenna from Amazon and I am getting 68 broadcast channels (some that my cable company did not even offer) and are all coming in clear.

I also have Netflix and about 1 1/2 years of Amazon Prime to go before renewal - So I don't think I am missing anything that my cable provider have to offer.

Ok good to know, I haven't had many problems streaming netflix so far, comcast keeps calling telling me they can give me faster internet service(I cut cable but have internet with them) I swear when there's another option I'll take major pleasure in telling comcast to strait fck right off! :hvb_cursing:

It's hilarious to me that I called Comcast today to try to downgrade my service and everything I try ends up costing e the same. I was then transferred to a rep who was working on the packages with me and we started talking about different Shaw films, Dr Who and other totally off topic subjects and I even mentioned our forum! After he saved me $49 (we'll see) he made sure to take down the Shaolin Chambers 36 website address and said he may join!! He was nice and great to talk to but I still hate Comcast:yociexp33:

Okay so I signed up for my free trial of Netflix and when I looked through all of the MA films I already have them or they are available on iTunes for sale. THis is especially true of the Shaw Brother's films but also with some of the modern Asian films I had which were wuxia themed. Do they offer additional films regularly or rotate them out?

I have Netflix and every Saturday, it's always Netflix with me and my parents. We watch usually the latest action films and sometimes, we even delve into the fu, now that the Shaw Brothers films are hitting Netflix and all. Plus, I sometimes watch their original shows as does my mother. 

Plus, my kids love it too. I gave them each their own Netflix Kids account so they can enjoy from either their tablets or their laptop (which they share). 

On my XBox 360, I have Netflix, Crunchyroll (great for an otaku), Crackle (which I watch sometimes), Dramafever (Korean, Chinese, Japanese dramas and movies), and TubiTV (they have a lot of grindhouse flicks and old school stuff plus the late night stuff and crappy VH1 reality shows, but they have some interesting shows too like Harry Yuan's Kung Fu Motion series, which I haven't watched yet but sounds interesting, and more.) and finally Viki (which shows programs from all over the world - had gotten into a Filipina superhero series Darna, but they took it off before I had a chance to finish it, but thats ok)

Edited by AlbertV

.....................................On my XBox 360, I have Netflix, Crunchyroll (great for an otaku), Crackle (which I watch sometimes), Dramafever (Korean, Chinese, Japanese dramas and movies), and TubiTV (they have a lot of grindhouse flicks and old school stuff plus the late night stuff and crappy VH1 reality shows, but they have some interesting shows too like Harry Yuan's Kung Fu Motion series, which I haven't watched yet but sounds interesting, and more.) and finally Viki (which shows programs from all over the world - had gotten into a Filipina superhero series 

Darna

, but they took it off before I had a chance to finish it, but thats ok)

I also didn't get to see the end of the last "Darna" - was watching it on the GMA network - end up traveling so I missed the last few episodes.

Darna is a very popular comic character in the Philippines - it have been made into a few movies as well as a few TV series.

I prefer the 2005 series starring Angel Locsin than the last one which starred Marian Rivera. Reason being that Angel actually went into training for the movie - she learn Wushu, Arnis, some kung fu & some other styles & it showed.

There is a movie schedule with Angel Locsin back as Darna and Erik Matti (On The Job, Metro Manila) was suppose to be in the director but he is currently working on "On The Job 2".  So very likely we may not see that movie until sometime mid/late 2016.

I also have Crunchyrol, Crackle & Dramafever and ocassionaly watch them.

I don't know if anyone noticed but I think most of the Shaw Brother's titles are from Celestial Pictures which apparently now only has the Chinese audio & English subs. (could've sworn it was dubbed when first released on Netflix) Unfortunate as I usually watch with the English dub but I'll probably give these a watch.

Hopefully I'll either be getting an external disc drive since my laptop doesn't have one or finally bring up my TV & PS3 if I prove successful this semester. Then I can just watch all of the DVDs I've bought & haven't watched. At the very least they'll be playing in the background of my dorm room with tons of kung fu badassery to look up at when I'm feelin' stressed.

:monk_toasting: