Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DrNgor

Craziest, Weirdest, Most Bizzare Weapons In Kung Fu Movies

Recommended Posts

Hwang Jung-Lee used two different strange weapons I remember.

Secret Rivals 2: A pair of short staff weapon that he can spin when he opens his hands. James Pax uses a similar weapon in Big Trouble in Little China

2b1e3727c5680db76a50b9ccc3ca7746.gif

Ninja in the Dragon's Den: He uses a giant stress ball as a weapon against Hiroyuki Sanada and Conan Lee until Sanada blows it up in a goofy gag.

giphy.gif

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Hwang Jung-Lee used two different strange weapons I remember.

Secret Rivals 2: A pair of short staff weapon that he can spin when he opens his hands. James Pax uses a similar weapon in Big Trouble in Little China

2b1e3727c5680db76a50b9ccc3ca7746.gif

Ninja in the Dragon's Den: He uses a giant stress ball as a weapon against Hiroyuki Sanada and Conan Lee until Sanada blows it up in a goofy gag.

giphy.gif

 

 

Those little staffs are hilarious. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 @DrNgor, just how common do think the smoker's pipe is in Hong Kong Martial Arts cinema?. Sure I've seen pipe's used for defence. Such as the scene from Dreadnought(1981) with Kwan Tak-Hing and Fung Hak-On tailor assassin.

 

It's rumoured that @OpiumKungFuCracker is well versed in the use of this weapon?.

 

Quote

Below is an article from an old Chinese Kung Fu magazine, featuring Chan Tat Fut sifu of Choy Lay Fut Kung-Fu, presenting some fighting applications with the Chinese tobacco water pipe. Chan sifu is well known to many of us visiting Hong Kong regularly – almost everybody has visited his Kung-Fu weapons shop in Sham Shui Po.

Source- http://naamkyun.com/2012/02/rare-kung-fu-weapons-the-tobacco-water-pipe/

rare-kung-fu-weapons-44.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

 @DrNgor, just how common do think the smoker's pipe is in Hong Kong Martial Arts cinema?. Sure I've seen pipe's used for defence. Such as the scene from Dreadnought(1981) with Kwan Tak-Hing and Fung Hak-On tailor assassin.

Lau Kar Wing's use of snake style with a pipe in Knockabout is one of my favourites.  

snake pipe.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 11:43 AM, AlbertV said:

Secret Rivals 2: A pair of short staff weapon that he can spin when he opens his hands. James Pax uses a similar weapon in Big Trouble in Little China

I believe those are called Emei Piercers. They also show up in KNIFE OF DEVIL'S ROARING AND SOUL MISSING with Dorian Tan Tao-Liang.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

 

 @DrNgor, just how common do think the smoker's pipe is in Hong Kong Martial Arts cinema?. Sure I've seen pipe's used for defence

Jackie Chan briefly uses one against Shek Kin in YOUNG MASTER. A supporting character in SNAKE AND CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN wields a pipe. That film also features Nora Miao fighting with a flute and a clan leader who fights with a pair of stress balls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 6:13 PM, Drunken Monk said:

There's a film (I'm sure someone will know it) where a gwailo actress uses an actual snake as a whip. I thought it was Sophia Crawford but I could be wrong.

That's Kim Maree Penn in IN THE LINE OF DUTY V: MIDDLE MAN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2019 at 2:35 AM, Shosetsu said:

Not weird but I have to say I was disappointed at the movie Legendary Weapons of China.  It did not measure up to his title.  In comparison,  there was a much better variety of weapons in Gordon Liu's Heroes of the East.  Even the lowly weapon the tonfa was included in Liu's movie.  I used to have a friend who is a kung fu fan and he always used to say the tonfa is the least popular.  I guess that depends on how many movies have featured that weapon.  So if anybody can list any other appearances, that would be nice.

List of weapons used in both films:

Heroes of the East
------------------
Saber
Two-handed straight sword
Katana
Yari
Spear
Three-section staff
Nunchaku
Tonfa
Butterfly Swords
Sai
Rope Dart
Kusari-kama
Shurikens, darts, arrows, etc.

Legendary Weapons of China
--------------------------
Spear
Staff
Halberd
Trident
Jian;
Dao (and Shuangdao)
Daggers
Chain Whip
Crutch/Tonfa
Axe
Melon Hammer
Hooks
Rattan Shield
Butterfly Swords
Fists
Monk's Spade
Three-Section Staff
Kwan Do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2019 at 2:35 AM, Shosetsu said:

I used to have a friend who is a kung fu fan and he always used to say the tonfa is the least popular.  I guess that depends on how many movies have featured that weapon.  So if anybody can list any other appearances, that would be nice

Movies with tonfa in them:

Tiger vs. Dragon (1972)
Call Me Dragon (1974)
Spiritual Kung Fu (1978)
Dragon Fist (1978)
Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin (1978)
Revenge of the Ninja (1983)
City Hunter (1993)
My Father is a Hero (1995)
Les Samourais (2002)
SPL 2: A Time for Consequences (2015)

Edited by DrNgor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Jackie Chan briefly uses one against Shek Kin in YOUNG MASTER. A supporting character in SNAKE AND CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN wields a pipe. That film also features Nora Miao fighting with a flute and a clan leader who fights with a pair of stress balls.

 

Thanks for that @DrNgor, always loved the stress balls use in Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin. Sure there are other examples of the pipe being used, must be more old master characters, who use a pipe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2015 at 4:11 AM, Bus said:

Tai Chi Wu Jing used his hair

Yuen Woo-Ping did the same thing in HEROES AMONG HEROES and FISTS OF THE DOUBLE K.

In TO KILL WITH INTRIGUE has a guy wielding a giant club with a face painted on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 6:34 AM, DrNgor said:

Movies with tonfa in them:

Tiger vs. Dragon (1972)
Call Me Dragon (1974)
Spiritual Kung Fu (1978)
Dragon Fist (1978)
Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin (1978)
Revenge of the Ninja (1983)
City Hunter (1993)
My Father is a Hero (1995)
Les Samourais (2002)
SPL 2: A Time for Consequences (2015)

Thanks for the exhaustive and impressive list.  My hat's off to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2015 at 5:27 AM, Tosh said:

Peacock dart (Magic Blade?)

While the Peacock Dart is the most unusual weapon in The Magic Blade, I don't think I've seen anything quite like Ti Lung's tonfa like sword (also in The Magic Blade) before: 

The Magic Blade 4.png The Magic Blade 3.png

 

TheMagicBlade+1976-116-b.jpg

On a side note here's another but similar topic to this one:

www.shaolinchamber36.com/kungfufandom/index.php?/topic/3052-craziest-weapon-spoilers-for-various-films-inside/ 

 

Edited by Silver and Gold Dragon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although the weapon in this film DEVILISH KILLER is a Sword, one of the components in the blade itself was used in an unusual way I did not expect at all. It's a broadsword whose blade has many rings along the entire upper edge of the blade.

All this time I used to think that the purpose of those multiple rings was to use their sound to distract the opponent.  So what startled me from this movie was that the villain could detach all those rings from the blade and fling them at his opponent-- in a sense using them like ninja-shurikens.

But what I found to be a glaring discrepancy is that those tiny rings actually killed his opponent.  At most, those tiny rings should have caused only a very slight wound.

 

 

Edited by Shosetsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2015 at 1:23 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Regarding the Wolf's Teeth Club- I just found out that this is what it's called about a month ago, thanks to a FB friend. I always referred to it as a "spiked club". As a young man I used to visit Chinatown a lot, and there was this one store that had a huge, black-lacquered Wolf's Teeth Club. I wanted that thing so bad! :nerd: But I think it was around $300, so... uh... no.

I have since seen this weapon used in Little Dragon Maiden (1983) and Arhats in Fury (1985).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DrNgor said:

I have since seen this weapon used in Little Dragon Maiden (1983) and Arhats in Fury (1985).

 

Great thread idea @DrNgor, I've been contributing stuff to the following thread not realizing you had already started a similar one first.

 

 

 

Can any of the moderator's here merge the above thread into the one started first by @DrNgor?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

 

Great thread idea @DrNgor, I've been contributing stuff to the following thread not realizing you had already started a similar one first.

 

 

 

Can any of the moderator's here merge the above thread into the one started first by @DrNgor?.

Done. Thanks for letting me know @DragonClaws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to think that the reality is they were probably a lot of individually made weapons. Let me see mostly in movies are what is produced in Mass for kung fu schools that started in the early 20th century. I'm sure swords designs and so forth changed more or less all throughout the last two thousand years. A lot of these guys that actually use martial arts were mostly in three or four categories. Lowly soldiers who were cannon fodder and hence given very little training and a sword or spear probably most likely a spear or something like that. Next would be bodyguards or gold conveyors. Those guys would most likely get the most modern dangerous thing they could so 1700 on a pistol was a coveted weapon. Next Step would be gangsters and I'm sure they had all kinds of weird shit that they could conceal that we would never see in a kung fu movie. Either that or something cheap like an axe or a kitchen knife. Finally there were Villages that had to be responsible for depending on themselves to fight off Bandits. I would imagine they would be Farm weapons or as in From The Highway,  a cannon, arrows and rifles. And remember one thing when ancient writers were writing about people being good at martial arts it didn't necessarily mean flying kicks and brick breaking chops. Many times could have meant archery or being able to ride a horse well in battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2019 at 3:14 AM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I'd like to think that the reality is they were probably a lot of individually made weapons. Let me see mostly in movies are what is produced in Mass for kung fu schools that started in the early 20th century. I'm sure swords designs and so forth changed more or less all throughout the last two thousand years. A lot of these guys that actually use martial arts were mostly in three or four categories. Lowly soldiers who were cannon fodder and hence given very little training and a sword or spear probably most likely a spear or something like that. Next would be bodyguards or gold conveyors. Those guys would most likely get the most modern dangerous thing they could so 1700 on a pistol was a coveted weapon. Next Step would be gangsters and I'm sure they had all kinds of weird shit that they could conceal that we would never see in a kung fu movie. Either that or something cheap like an axe or a kitchen knife. Finally there were Villages that had to be responsible for depending on themselves to fight off Bandits. I would imagine they would be Farm weapons or as in From The Highway,  a cannon, arrows and rifles. And remember one thing when ancient writers were writing about people being good at martial arts it didn't necessarily mean flying kicks and brick breaking chops. Many times could have meant archery or being able to ride a horse well in battle.

 

This might sound far out, but my Dad has told me stories of a local 1960's bouncer, now long gone. Who used to carry a home-made ball and chain weapon, that he had knocked six inch nails through. In order to turn into a spiked chain like mace. Reserved for anyone who came back with their friends or family, to get even for being thrown out of the dance hall.

My dad and his friends spent many saterday mornings as kids, watching the local rival gangs fight on a nearby park. Only so he and his mates could pick up the many knives or home made weapons they had dropped during the scuffle. If you recall the scene in Yojimbo(1961) were the two rival gangs first face off. With Sanjuro Kuwabatake(Toshiro Mifune) laughting at the fact, they clearly dont want to actually risk getting hurt. Which leads to this strange face-off, with one group attacking while the other retreats. From his description of those gang fights back in the 1950s, they were more like the Yojimbo scene than say the finale of a Chang Cheh movie. There were never any fatatlities either, which must have been a miracle in itself.

Edited by DragonClaws

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 12:34 PM, DrNgor said:

Movies with tonfa in them:

Tiger vs. Dragon (1972)
Call Me Dragon (1974)
Spiritual Kung Fu (1978)
Dragon Fist (1978)
Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin (1978)
Revenge of the Ninja (1983)
City Hunter (1993)
My Father is a Hero (1995)
Les Samourais (2002)
SPL 2: A Time for Consequences (2015)

Adding to the list of tonfa appearances:

KUNG FU- THE INVINCIBLE FIST (1972)

THE THUNDER KICK (1974)

THE STREET FIGHTER (1974)

THE RETURN OF THE STREET FIGHTER (1975)

SISTER STREET FIGHTER (1974)

SISTER STREET FIGHTER: HANGING BY A THREAD (1974)

RETURN OF THE SISTER STREET FIGHTER (1975)

HEROES OF THE EAST (1978)

BORN INVINCIBLE (1978)

DIRTY TIGER, CRAZY FROG (1978)

KUNG FU EXECUTIONER (1981)

LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA (1982)

HOUSE OF TRAPS (1982)

A LIFE OF NINJA (1983)

LEGEND OF THE WOLF (1997)

EXTREME CHALLENGE (2001)

UNDISCOVERED TOMB (2002)

ONG-BAK (2003)

HELLBOY (2004, "bladed tonfas")

G.I. JOE: RISE OF COBRA (2009, "bladed tonfas")

THE RAID (2011)

FALCON RISING (2014, "makeshift tonfas")

 

 

On 10/21/2019 at 1:44 AM, Shosetsu said:

Although the weapon in this film DEVILISH KILLER is a Sword, one of the components in the blade itself was used in an unusual way I did not expect at all. It's a broadsword whose blade has many rings along the entire upper edge of the blade.

All this time I used to think that the purpose of those multiple rings was to use their sound to distract the opponent.  So what startled me from this movie was that the villain could detach all those rings from the blade and fling them at his opponent-- in a sense using them like ninja-shurikens.

But what I found to be a glaring discrepancy is that those tiny rings actually killed his opponent.  At most, those tiny rings should have caused only a very slight wound.

 

 

The rings on the back of swords are also used to catch the tips of weapons, especially spears and other swords.

I've never seen DEVILISH KILLER, but that's a unique idea. Though, as you said, pretty of silly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×