I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Tosh

The Almighty Godzilla - King Of The Monsters!

I saw the film last night. It was actually pretty good. Liked it as much as I did the 2014 film, if not slightly better. They did an excellent job with the monster battles and there were some tense moments involving Kyle Chandler and Vera Farmiga as well as Charles Dane once again showing why he is one of cinema's great villain actors in the role of an ex-military officer turned ecoterrorist who kidnaps Farmiga's character to unleash the Titans. TJ Storm once again did excellent mo-cap work as Big G himself and the finale has some very nice surprising twists. I'm actually getting stoked for Godzilla vs. Kong.

Godzilla faces off against the giant robot Unit-01 (Evangelion) at the Universal Studios Japan theme park in Osaka.  The showdown runs from May 31 to August 25. 2-10.  News from https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-05-30/universal-studios-japan-unveils-godzilla-vs-evangelion-the-real-4-d-video/.147293   This video shows what the faceoff looks like - 

Saw this today and loved it,great action and it’s how a monster movie should be the only downside for me was the mom,dad,daughter thing, not interested just keep to Godzilla and co stomping and smashing shit up.👍👍👍

One half I liked and the other I hated. They adopted part of the plot from GMK: Giant Monsters All Out Attack for the base plot here and that was ok. It seems they also took the Mothra from that film as well though. I was hoping for one closer to the original as these are more Battra than Mothra to me. Rodan's introduction was the coolest but then they neglected him for the rest of the movie. Instead of using a muto, they should have just paid extra to insert Varan in there. As the most underused monster in the Godzilla universe, I don't think he would have cost as much as say Biolante to license. As for the whole environmentalist plot, it is what it is. 

If anyone else actually saw the postcredit scene, do you think it hinted at Keizer Ghidorah?

6 hours ago, HyperDrive said:

If anyone else actually saw the postcredit scene, do you think it hinted at Keizer Ghidorah?

It does

Instead of  the next movie being just "Godzilla vs King Kong", we may have Godzilla & King Kong teaming to take on Monster X or whatever super-monster that Jonah plan on creating.

3 hours ago, thekfc said:

Instead of  the next movie being just "Godzilla vs King Kong", we may have Godzilla & King Kong teaming to take on Monster X or whatever super-monster that Jonah plan on creating.

There are lots of fan theories about what Jonah could be cooking up: Biollante engineered from Ghidorah cells; Destoroyah, considering that the head probably has traces of the Oxygen Destroyer on it; Mecha King Ghidorah; etc.

A poster for Godzilla raids again (1955)

Godzilla Raids Again.jpg

Godzilla vs Gigan (1972) lobbycard

Gojira tai Gaigan 00.jpg

A German lobbycard for Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Brut Des Teufels 00.jpg

The German title "Konga, Godzilla, King Kong - Die Brut des Teufels" literally translates to "Konga, Godzilla, King Kong - The Devil's Brood". Also, "Konga" is actually Titanosaurus and "King Kong" is really Mechagodzilla - these monsters were renamed for the  title, yet their original names are used in the film.

In other news, Moscow and Paris have been attacked by giant monsters - Rodan and Gorosaurus (or is it Baragon, like the media claims ? More fake news...) are the perpetrators according to this exclusive footage.

DAM_-_Rodan_Attacks_Moscow.jpg

Destroy-All-Monsters-Gorosaurus1.jpg

Edited by Secret Executioner

So happy to post this- Criterion is releasing a collection of all 15 of the Showa era Godzilla films (1954-1975), and it's loaded with exciting extras!

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/2648-godzilla-the-showa-era-films-1954-1975?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_campaign=cce29b6140-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_05_15_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5c13ac2083-cce29b6140-63823959

Criterion CollectionbG4INWRMocURqMHZl7ZgyVgw1O47Tx_large.jpg

I thought there would be a lot more excitement here about this release. Seems that many of my friends that are kung fu/wuxia fans are also big into kaiju-eiga cinema.

Geek Alert: After reading about how 15 different artists (several whose work I admire a lot) created new art to represent the films in the set, I looked at their pieces with great interest. Though I think each one of the covers is cool and unique (some downright awesome) I was disappointed by one major aspect... Over the course of the Godzilla films the character was portrayed by many different suits, each with distinct variations in the monster's design. To my surprise, some of the artists did not use the proper Godzilla design to represent the specific film they were depicting. 😦 This is somewhat akin to if someone were to use the Hammer Films' THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN monster's look to represent the Universal FRANKENSTEIN's monster. Um... no.

frankensteinindex.jpg         frankensteinthe-curse-of-frankenstein-1957_u-l-py0c2t0.jpg

On the left, Boris Karloff in the 1931 FRANKENSTEIN, and on the right Christopher Lee as the creation in THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957).

Look at the variety in these Godzilla designs throughout the years:

godzillaCgLGbddUYAEbrHC.jpg

godzillae2fbb221e3ac616a278c3d859367df12.png

godzillag2J1taL.jpg

I can't understand why the film-specific design wouldn't be used to represent each film properly. 😕

Plus, to gripe even more... Wikipedia states the following more plainly than I can:

"The Godzilla film series is broken into several (different) eras reflecting a characteristic style and corresponding to the same eras used to classify all kaiju eiga (monster movies) in Japan. The first two eras refer to the Japanese emperor during production: the Shōwa era and the Heisei era. The third is called the Millennium era as the emperor (Heisei) is the same but these films are considered to have a different style and storyline than the Heisei era."

These are:

SHOWA ERA (1954-1975) Which is the era of films included on this Criterion set.

HEISEI ERA (1984-1995)

MILLENNIUM ERA (1999-2004)

REIWA ERA (2016-Present)

So why did they feature a closeup of a Heisei Era Godzilla (this is the design from GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE, 1989) as the cover of the Showa Era boxset? 😑 They had fifteen different appropriate designs to choose from, but instead they feature something that's not even from these films. Sigh.

I know what's most important is what's actually inside the set, but it makes little sense to me to not feature the correct incarnations of the character in the artwork.

On a more positive note, my favorites among the artwork included are this gorgeous piece by the amazing Bill Sienkiewicz...

GODZILLAvKeL3Z8JQS8CcpVGf71hCklwYsRZ4G_large.jpg

This piece by Katsuya Terada has a great shot-from-above perspective and a bold beauty to it...

GODZILLAmgBLNMreWObbgdQFJlszuoTPqR8Nay_large.jpg

Yet another terrific drawing by frequent Godzilla illustrator Arthur Adams for this much-loved gonzo entry in the film series...

GODZILLAoughjgghh.jpg

This unique perspective from Jorge Coelho has a wonderful you-are-there quality representing a much-derided film that was a favorite of mine when I was a kid...

GODZILLAYvmpPKvGxKruiSDvZ3jnqMro0xxPyf_large.jpg

This art by Ronald Wimberly is interesting, and I especially like the way he drew robot Jet Jaguar leaping into action...

GODZILLAYCZYqbdZEnOETDz9YttzHFy11p3gH6_large.jpg

Takashi Okazaki did a sweet piece featuring Mechagodzilla and King Ceasar- one of my top G-series monsters...

GODZILLAt97YUGHe6GAj7GsXWJ0fIl99zhrgWb_large.jpg

I am impressed by nearly all the art for this set (including some of those with the "wrong" Godzilla), but the ones above are the ones I like the most.

And... this brings my phenomenally nerdy post to a close. 😊

I hate to be "the one" but this film was awful. A babbling mess of a plot strung together by an ugly script. And the monster fights just simply couldn't save it. Rodan was the coolest thing about it and he's underused for the most part.
I'd even go as far as to say this is one of 2019's worst blockbusters. I recently watched Men in Black: International and even that was better than this.

On 7/28/2019 at 6:48 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

I thought there would be a lot more excitement here about this release. Seems that many of my friends that are kung fu/wuxia fans are also big into kaiju-eiga cinema.

There's also a thread for this in the World Cinema forum, which I would not have started. If I knew about this one already exisiting.

4 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

There's also a thread for this in the World Cinema forum, which I would not have started. If I knew about this one already exisiting.

@DragonClaws this is more of an "everything Godzilla" thread, and the one you referred to is a thread dedicated specifically to the latest US film GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS, but I decided to merge them together anyway. Thanks for mentioning it to me.

On 7/28/2019 at 2:48 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Yeah, the problem for me is the price tag: 150 dollars is about 600 BRL, or about half a month's minimum wage salary. Mix that with a 60% import tax on any merchandise more expensive than 50 dollars, and we're talking about 1000 BRL for me to acquire. I like the idea, and would like to legitimize my SON OF GODZILLA and G vs MECHAGODZILLA '74 copies, but no.

And when the heck do we get our GODZILLA VS. KONG trailer?

Edited by DrNgor

Godzilla vs. Kong, the fourth film in the Legendary Pictures Monsterverse, has been pushed back from a March 2020 release to a November 2020 release.