I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Tosh

The Almighty Godzilla - King Of The Monsters!

Godzilla fans: the Godzilla subreddit is hosting a glGodzilla movie night via a viewing site. If you are interested I can post the time and link. Please note I am not the host myself, I just thought it might be interesting to know. Tonight the screening is the classic godzilla vs mothra from the showa era.

On 2/7/2019 at 9:07 AM, legendarycurry said:

How do you guys feel about Shin Godzilla AKA Godzilla resurgence? I really like it personally: great political satire and an awesome Godzilla.

I enjoy it. It's very divisive among fans, albeit not quite as divisive as the Godzilla anime films. There's a thread at the Toho Kingdom forum as to whether or not it's hypocritical to accept the changes made to Godzilla in SHIN GODZILLA and condemn those made in the 1998 Roland Emmerich film, which has been going on for hundreds of pages.

But yeah, I liked the story, the music, the characters, the effects, etc. It's a perfectly serviceable Godzilla movie.

2 hours ago, DrNgor said:

I enjoy it. It's very divisive among fans, albeit not quite as divisive as the Godzilla anime films. There's a thread at the Toho Kingdom forum as to whether or not it's hypocritical to accept the changes made to Godzilla in SHIN GODZILLA and condemn those made in the 1998 Roland Emmerich film, which has been going on for hundreds of pages.

But yeah, I liked the story, the music, the characters, the effects, etc. It's a perfectly serviceable Godzilla movie.

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I personally am not a fan of the Anime films and as for the 98 godzilla or Zilla as it is now known: I think it is an entertaining monster movie but a disappointing Godzilla film. I have nothing against seeing Zilla make brief appearances in Godzilla films like Final Wars either. Oh BTW, besides the 1954 film my favourite Godzilla film is Godzilla VS The Sea Monster AKA Ebirah:Horror Of The Deep, and I quite enjoy Godzilla VS Spacegodzilla, so my tastes might be a bit different from most G fans out there (I also dislike the Legendary Pictures Godzilla) :D

After seeing the final trailer for this movie, OH MAAAAAAAAAAN!!! I can not wait for this. Super excited.

Teaser video for the theme song 'Pray', for the Japanese screenings of Godzilla: King of the Monsters.  The theme is sung by the Japanese rock band, Alexandros, which also performed "Mosquito Bite", the theme song for the live action Bleach movie.  Info from https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-04-27/alexandros-perform-godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-film-theme-song-for-japanese-screenings/.146215  

They finally give the fans what they want.... I love all the japanese godzilla films… I own them all on blu ray but the american godzilla films are so boring.

But this one looks great… I will probably go see it in theaters.

If you look online rumor is they already have a sequel to this movie planned. “God vs King” which of course is King Kong vs Godzilla. I hope this is true. One of my guilty pleasures is the old school version of that movie 

43 minutes ago, KCN9NE said:

If you look online rumor is they already have a sequel to this movie planned. “God vs King” which of course is King Kong vs Godzilla. I hope this is true. One of my guilty pleasures is the old school version of that movie 

The principal filming for GODZILLA vs. KONG has already wrapped. It's now in post-production. It's being directed by Adam Wingard, best known for DEATH NOTE; BLAIR WITCH; and YOU'RE NEXT. It's due out next year.

@OpiumKungFuCracker It's Godzilla stuff in general. (hence its inclusion in the Japanese cinema forum, a thread on the movie coming up would be in World cinema as it's American) Weird they call this movie King of Monsters when it seems plotwise closer to a film like Destroy all Monsters.

My spoiler-free review that I posted in other forums:

Just finished watching it. I paid a fortune (by Brazilian standards) for a small theater with wide, reclining seats and a wooden tablet to place my food on, if I wanted to. The people at the snack bar also take food and alcohol to the people on trays in the theater!

So, I honestly enjoyed the 2014 Godzilla movie. It was obvious that Edwards was a fan, but he and his writers had their own thing in mind. They didn't want to be completely shackled to the fandom, while respecting them at the same time. So it's clear that Mike Dougherty and his team paid heed to some of the criticisms levied against the 2014 film, although in some ways, they paid too much heed. Godzilla: King of the Monsters is a 200-million-dollar fan film, the sort of thing that those rapid STAR WARS fanboys want(ed) to do with THE LAST JEDI and now the GOT fans want to do with Season 8.

On the whole, the movie was fun to watch. The story moves at a quick clip and I thought the plot device that sets the story in motion was fine. The eco-terrorist organization is suitably intimidating, although they lose a bit of their edge in the third act. The acting was fine: people who complained about Ken Watanabe spending too much of the 2014 film staring at his watch will be glad to see that he comes across as more proactive this time around. The three leads (Kyle Chandler, Vera Farmiga, and Millie Bobbie Brown) do solid jobs. I was initially worrying that Zhang Ziyi would become the equivalent of Tian Jing’s character in Kong: Skull Island: a pretty Chinese actress to appeal to the local market. Thankfully, Zhang does a lot more and is hinted to have a special bond with a certain kaiju.

After watching Kong: Skull Island, I mentioned in some forums that I hoped that Ernie Hudson would play and older Dr. Brooks. Instead, we get Joe Morton, of Terminator II: Judgement Day and The Walking Dead—the 90s film about black soldiers in the Vietnam War. I’m fine with that.

The monsters themselves are magnificent. Godzilla looks great, although I wouldn’t have cared if they had kept his 2014 spines and 2014 roar—the fan pandering of returning to his original skreonk was unnecessary. He fights like a madman and I like how he has the natural advantage during an underwater battle, sort of like a crocodile versus a land animal.

Mothra fares a little better than she did in Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack. Her role is a bit too truncated, but at least her larva is the basis for the film’s first major set piece. Rodan is just awesome. I’m pretty sure this is Rodan’s best appearance, or at least tied with his initial 1956 film. He’s fast, deadly, and ruthless. Instead of being the honorable “samurai of the skies,” he is, as the director put it, “an atomic bomb with wings.”

King Ghidorah has never been crueler and more sadistic, on an individual or global level. More than any of the Showa films, you understand how this monster could be the destroyer of worlds and slayer of civilizations. The second half of the film—and the cardinal error on the part of the film’s antagonists—hinge on it being a space monster, something nobody knew until it was too late.

So where does the movie falter in my opinion? The fan service and pandering. I mentioned the roar and spikes, but those are negligible details. There are three plot details that I’m referring to. In a spoiler-free review, I’ll just point out that they’re scenes cribbed directly from earlier movies. One of them had no business being in the film at all; they could’ve replaced it with a callback to Godzilla 1985 and it would’ve fit more. The second one goes back to my comments about Mothra. And the third one was unnecessary, but man, IT LOOKED AWESOME and was explained better than in the film that inspired it.

So in the end, I liked the film, but I didn’t love it. It’s a worthy follow-up to Godzilla ’14 and Kong: Skull Island, but I hope Godzilla vs. Kong tries to carve out its own identity.

@DrNgor, I'm looking forward to seeing this. Planning on watching Kong: Skull Island this weekend most likely. Is it essential to watch Godzilla 2014 prior to seeing this new one? I just don't remember it looking all that appealing to me.

6 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

@DrNgor, I'm looking forward to seeing this. Planning on watching Kong: Skull Island this weekend most likely. Is it essential to watch Godzilla 2014 prior to seeing this new one? I just don't remember it looking all that appealing to me.

You should watch Godzilla 2014, even though you'll get the hang of the movie after a while if you don't. I think there are some aspects of the Monsterverse that are explained better in it.

If you watch K:SI, stay until the end of the credits.

37 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Skip the 2014 one unless you are a fan of hallmark family dramas. Run to a theater and see kotm in 4dx or imax. I saw it in imax and I orgy. 

The 2014 one is very hit and miss indeed. I liked the design for Godzilla and some of the rampage was pretty spectacular, but overall... It's pretty slow, I didn't care much for those "mutos" (who share a similar background to Rodan but look like some Xenomorph knock-offs - why not have a pair of Rodans ? IIRC, there are two in the original movie and it would be a lead-up to later movies) and as usual with monster movies, you have very idiotic decision making like wanting to nuke nuclear-powered creatures, and doing so in the middle of a major city like San Francisco... :wondering

I'm also glad the characters didn't turn into something you see out of cloverfield. At least in kotm they were over the top and goofy like the movies you grew up watching.  God I hated those characters in cloverfield.  Gonna go see kotm in 4dx this time around.

Saw this yesterday with the family.

Onscreen, it's an amazing picture. Good casting. Good acting. Solid plot. Some really nice touches how they tie certain things in there. I can tell they're making an effort at world-building.

The monsters are awesome onscreen. Just fantastic depictions. Even as a kid watching these, I always thought some of the monsters were just sort of gimmicky, especially Ghidorah. But in this, he is freaky, and they did an excellent job with his serpentine hydra heads, wings, and cosmic lightning-like blasts. Have to agree with @DrNgor that Rodan looks the best he ever has, and his initial appearing and battle with military planes is sweet. Never been a fan of Mothra, but she looks really cool here, and actually has a purpose. And Godzilla looks amazing and the display of his radioactive power looks boss! Overall, the film does a great job with the scope of the monsters to a degree that it actually sent chills down my spine and made my hair stand up.

But I do have some pet peeves.

Look, I know this PG-13, so the language gets moderately rough at points. That's a given. But did they really have to place a single F bomb in there? There were a fair amount of kids in the theater when we saw this (including my own). So why was that utterance even necessary? And if it was, why just the one? Why not a dozen and bump the rating? Think I'm a prude if you want. I don't care. I think it was lame, and a huge misstep. 

Here's my main issue: the monster fights themselves. For the most part, they were abysmal. Why? Because they seemed to serve as cut away moments for the stupid people running around in all the destruction. Too much effort was placed on the human drama aspect during those moments. That's not what I paid good money for. I don't care. Look, just step on them folks and get it on. Granted, the fights did have moments of brutality. Cool. But there just wasn't enough time given to them just mixing it up. That was one thing the older films got right. In a 90 minute monster movie, an hour was spent on story, set up, and human drama. Then about 20-30 minutes was focusing on good ol' monster madness and epic throwdowns. It was cheesy, campy, and classic. But as a viewer, it was the proper payoff. This movie clocks in at 2 hours 11 minutes. There's a lot of the human drama aspect that could have been condensed or done away with. When the monsters are onscreen, it's sweet. There's just simply not enough of it. That's a major letdown.

Everyone's tastes run different. This is definitely one to see on the big screen. You'll have to make up your own mind.

This also sets up the next film which we all know is going to be the Godzilla vs King Kong remake. I doubt the US studios will learn anything from this, and deliver another human drama heavy monster flick. Unfortunately, I'll probably waste my money to see it on the big screen and be utterly disappointed again.

5 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Here's my main issue: the monster fights themselves. For the most part, they were abysmal. Why? Because they seemed to serve as cut away moments for the stupid people running around in all the destruction. Too much effort was placed on the human drama aspect during those moments. That's not what I paid good money for. I don't care. Look, just step on them folks and get it on. Granted, the fights did have moments of brutality. Cool. But there just wasn't enough time given to them just mixing it up. That was one thing the older films got right. In a 90 minute monster movie, an hour was spent on story, set up, and human drama. Then about 20-30 minutes was focusing on good ol' monster madness and epic throwdowns. It was cheesy, campy, and classic. But as a viewer, it was the proper payoff. This movie clocks in at 2 hours 11 minutes. There's a lot of the human drama aspect that could have been condensed or done away with. When the monsters are onscreen, it's sweet. There's just simply not enough of it. That's a major letdown.

Was one of my biggest issues with the first one, seems they did it again here...

Edited by Secret Executioner

9 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Everyone's tastes run different. This is definitely one to see on the big screen. You'll have to make up your own mind.

That's even bigger issue in Godzilla 2014, for the record. If you watch both films in tandem, than this film was major step up in that regard. I think they're trying to avoid some of the storytelling pitfalls, should you call it that, that befell a lot of the films especially in the 90s films, where the human story would completely stop at around the 60 or 70-minute point, and the humans would spend the rest of the film as spectators.

I'm going with a thumbs up. The Family was annoying, but the supporting cast did a good job through out. Some sad death scenes and Godzilla was great, along with Mothra, etc.