Tosh

The Almighty Godzilla - King Of The Monsters!

Hey everyone. Did you hear about the possibility of a new "King Kong VS Godzilla" film?. It seems the King Kong project known as "Skull island" might be heading in that direction. Personally, I hope they don't give that classic film the remake treatment.

It's going to happen, it's typical of Hollywood to blow their load right off the bat, but hell it was the 3rd movie in the franchise, personally I don't see the point but if they must, I do hope they bring back the berry juice.

I'm interested to see where the new Japanese version is going to go, sadly probably not the direction my oldschool sensibilities want it to go, but I'll remain hopeful.

It's going to happen, it's typical of Hollywood to blow their load right off the bat, but hell it was the 3rd movie in the franchise, personally I don't see the point but if they must, I do hope they bring back the berry juice.

I'm interested to see where the new Japanese version is going to go, sadly probably not the direction my oldschool sensibilities want it to go, but I'll remain hopeful.

Yeah they better bring the berry juice and the hot air ballons back  :) In terms of the japanese version I'd love for it to be more oldschool but I have this feeling that it will be inspired by the 2014 US Godzilla film. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Probably nothing beats the original for all the reasons stated. I only recently saw the true original, "Gojira" in 2006 with the release of the deluxe collectors edition. I grew up with the Raymond Burr version which is not pretty comical to watch, almost reminds me of a dubbed Kung Fu theater movie.

I always loved Godzilla having watched it and many of it's sequels on Creature Feature as a kid. Now that I've seen the original, nothing comes close. A close second would be the MST3K version of "GAMERA VS. GUIRON." So much to love in that one.

IMDb recently had news about Godzilla vs Kong (that would be the title they're going for) coming out in 2020. So it would probably be the third film, since one sequel is scheduled for 2017 or 2018.

On a sidenote, here's one album cover I love - too bad it's one of the albums Warner got out in the late 1970s without any conscent from Zappa, it would have been great to have a Zappa-approved release with good ol' Hedorah on the cover:

frank-zappa-sleep-dirt.jpg

Edited by Secret Executioner

Since I revisited Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966) last night, figured I'd post about it.

affiche_cine_france_ebirah_godzilla.PNG

A guy looking for his missing brother steals a boat with a friend (and a robber who was on said boat) to go at sea looking for him, but following a storm and an encounter with a sea monster they end up trapped on an island that serves as the basis of a terrorist group called the Red Bamboo. They find out the island is guarded by the sea monster that destroys their boat earlier (a giant crustacean named Ebirah who is often refered to as a lobster, but is likely more of a shrimp considering "Ebi" is Japanese for "shrimp") and that the Red Bamboo exploits natives from Infant Island to produce some fruit-base substance that drives the monster away, hence how their ships can come and go without problems. Eventually, they also meet a girl who reveals that Godzilla is here as well, but he's hibernating in a volcano.

Godzilla is awaken by lightning, causes havoc and defeats Ebirah before Mothra (who spends most of the film sleeping while the fairies - not played by The Peanuts for their last Showa appearance - and the people from Infant Island sing for her to wake up) shows up to save everybody (our heroes and the Infant Island natives, the Red Bamboo guys dying in the destruction of their ships earlier) when the island is on the brink of explosion.

This was actually a rewatch for me, had already seen this one a couple of years ago. And it was better than I remembered, I initially felt it was one of the worst Godzilla films from the Showa era (with its follow-up Son of Godzilla, though I kinda enjoy this really silly entry now). I still would put this among the lower titles, but it's rather fun and entertaining. My copy (in Japanese with English subs) is apparently the full version, and while it's a bit slow at points, it gets kinda fun at times - Godzilla brings interest in the movie as he provides a lot of action and destruction, including fighting two giant monsters (including what could be the shortest-lived one ever, a giant condor known as Dai-Konduru) and disposing of a bunch of planes (a scene reused in the US version of Terror of Mechagodzilla). However, it's obvious at points this wasn't supposed to be a big-G vehicle. I mean, you see Godzilla sleep in the volcano (rather than under water), get awaken by lightning (like King Kong in King Kong vs Godzilla), have somewhat of a connection with a human (a woman more specifically) and he barely uses his ray in this film. Yeah, hard to ignore that it was initially a King Kong features (which could have been interesting to see).

Edit: forgot to mention that the soundtrack is pretty cool. Not as epic as scores by Akira Ifukube, but Masaru Satô came up with nice stuff for this one:

Edited by Secret Executioner
Music !!

It's not such a popular film, but I always considered it one of the better Godzilla movies. I like it that it leans more towards adventure than sci-fi.

a giant crustacean named Ebirah who is often refered to as a lobster, but is likely more of a shrimp considering "Ebi" is Japanese for "shrimp"

Interesting you mention that, being an avid diver I study and identify fish and reef creatures where I live, Ebirah is of a shrimp-lobster hybrid more akin to the former. First it's antennae are more like a shrimps, the lobsters here in the Caribbean either have long conical(spinys) or plate(slippers) antennae, neither have claws; Ebirah's claws are kind of like a shrimp's too just exaggerated.

It's the head/carapace that might more resemble a lobster with the spikes over the eyes and on its carapace(and this is a trait of a spiny lobster), but it comes to a point like a shrimp's. So imo, it is more towards a giant shrimp monster.

Anyways I'm sure I looked far to much into into this :monk_wellwishes:

Edited by Tosh

I love the island tribal scenes in Ebirah, Space Amoeba, Mothra, King Kong! Especially the dances, they're very exotic(when the budget is there), it has that going primitive vibe that I want to escape to, always on some beautiful lush tropical island cut off from the rest of the world.

I'm just as interested in Polynesian/Melanesian cultures as I am in other Asian cultures, I would love to travel to Rapa Nui and Papua New Guinea one day.

Watched Son of Godzilla 1967, been a good long time since I watched this last and well, I barely remembered it, the movie with Minilla I remembered most was All Monsters Attack with the kid. I kind of place these movies outside the Godzilla canon, but I was more than pleasantly surprised revisiting SOG after all these years. 

It has everything I want out of a Kaiju film, mysterious exotic island, far out sci-fi experiments, giant insect monsters, and a beautiful Island girl played by the gorgeous Bibari Maeda. The fights are kind of lagging but kudos for the giant spider, obviously Godzilla's achilles heal would be spraying silk all over him, who would've thunk? 

One for the kiddies but still a great rainy Saturday afternoon watch.

son of g poster.jpg

sonofgodzilla-44.jpg

SOG_062.JPG

son of g.jpe

son of g3.jpe

Son-of-Godzilla-Wallpapers-2.jpg

My son is on a total Godzilla kick as of late. I bought him the original King Kong vs. GodzillaTerror of Mechagodzilla, the 3-movie set of Godzilla vs. Mothra, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, and Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant All-Monsters Attack (which if you ask him to say five times fast, he just might LOL), Godzilla: Final Wars, and the 2014 Godzilla. For Christmas, his sisters got him a small 50th Anniversary Godzilla action figure. from Bandai:

91-ZKtz6WrL._SL1500_.jpg

Crackle is playing a lot of the Godzilla flicks and two months, I showed him the original Godzilla film and he was in total awe!!! I am curious to see how Godzilla 2016, with the duo of Shinji Higuchi and Hideaki Anno behind it. 

I've been on a serious Blue Oyster Cult kick as of late (it's all Mercenaries from Hong Kong's fault - using the main riff from Teen Archer as a fun bit of music for the title characters),

so without further blab...

Seeing a love/hate spat about the new Godzilla design, what does everyone here think?

I like it, the beady little eyes don't make much sense but looks pretty cool and menacing, the mouth is cool too but it's way to exaggerated going so far back, for some reason it reminds me of Heath Ledger's Joker.

Anyways I'm looking forward to it, hopefully they get back to G's origins, I want to see a violent unstoppable force punishing us for our sins, and please give the giant nuclear lizard some freaking screen time!

omu4npxif4nu6rigme1d.jpg

This may be old but not having cable it was new to me, nothing ground breaking but it was cool to see George Takei, who I had no idea dubbed some of the American voices in the old movies, and John freaking Carpenter talk about the big G.

Is it worth finishing the Godzilla: monster planet movies. I've seen the first one and half of the second one. Can any G fans confirm if there is any cool kaiju action worth sticking around for? I find the characters and overall story so dull and the pacing is glacial from what I've seen.

45 minutes ago, legendarycurry said:

Is it worth finishing the Godzilla: monster planet movies. I've seen the first one and half of the second one. Can any G fans confirm if there is any cool kaiju action worth sticking around for? I find the characters and overall story so dull and the pacing is glacial from what I've seen.

There is no kaiju brawling per se in the series. The last chapter delves into Lovecraftian horror, which I enjoyed. It's more about the ideas, though. If you've gotten that far and haven't found it interesting, chances are that the rest of the series won't do much for you.

12 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

There is no kaiju brawling per se in the series. The last chapter delves into Lovecraftian horror, which I enjoyed. It's more about the ideas, though. If you've gotten that far and haven't found it interesting, chances are that the rest of the series won't do much for you.

I see, I appreciate the reply. I will probably finish the rest just so I've seen all Godzilla films. Lovecraftian horror does sound interesting

Godzilla fans: the Godzilla subreddit is hosting a glGodzilla movie night via a viewing site. If you are interested I can post the time and link. Please note I am not the host myself, I just thought it might be interesting to know. Tonight the screening is the classic godzilla vs mothra from the showa era.

On 2/7/2019 at 9:07 AM, legendarycurry said:

How do you guys feel about Shin Godzilla AKA Godzilla resurgence? I really like it personally: great political satire and an awesome Godzilla.

I enjoy it. It's very divisive among fans, albeit not quite as divisive as the Godzilla anime films. There's a thread at the Toho Kingdom forum as to whether or not it's hypocritical to accept the changes made to Godzilla in SHIN GODZILLA and condemn those made in the 1998 Roland Emmerich film, which has been going on for hundreds of pages.

But yeah, I liked the story, the music, the characters, the effects, etc. It's a perfectly serviceable Godzilla movie.

2 hours ago, DrNgor said:

I enjoy it. It's very divisive among fans, albeit not quite as divisive as the Godzilla anime films. There's a thread at the Toho Kingdom forum as to whether or not it's hypocritical to accept the changes made to Godzilla in SHIN GODZILLA and condemn those made in the 1998 Roland Emmerich film, which has been going on for hundreds of pages.

But yeah, I liked the story, the music, the characters, the effects, etc. It's a perfectly serviceable Godzilla movie.

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I personally am not a fan of the Anime films and as for the 98 godzilla or Zilla as it is now known: I think it is an entertaining monster movie but a disappointing Godzilla film. I have nothing against seeing Zilla make brief appearances in Godzilla films like Final Wars either. Oh BTW, besides the 1954 film my favourite Godzilla film is Godzilla VS The Sea Monster AKA Ebirah:Horror Of The Deep, and I quite enjoy Godzilla VS Spacegodzilla, so my tastes might be a bit different from most G fans out there (I also dislike the Legendary Pictures Godzilla) :D