I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Hei Meigui

Lau Kar Leung (Aka. Liu Chi-Liang, 'Pops')- Information, Updates, Discussion & Appreciation

I found this tribute documentary to him. Sorry it's only in Cantonese with no subs. I couldn't resist posting it though because I love him rocking the 80-90's hairstyle, and not a hair out of place during any of the demonstrations!! The clothes are giving me flashbacks! :rofl

It's actually really good, as he talks about lion dances, shows forms, and show old movie clips.

Here's a clip of Lau as a thug getting his butt whooped by Yu So Chau in a fight scene from The Apartment Murder (1960), a contemporary film by the director of the Wong Fei Hung series, Wu Pang. Shek Kin is of course in there and you can see Simon Yuen in the back room guarding the hostage.

Where do I begin with "The Pops" Lau kar leung aka Liu chia liang? I don't want to post things that you already know about the man already so I'll just say that I'll always remember him as The Maestro of martial arts and The King of kung fu in my opinion because he's shown us more kung fu styles and explained their origins like nobody else was doing during that era as well as introducing the comedic element to kung fu movies before anybody else did.Jackie marketed it better but The pops paved the way.He knew Bruce Lee growing up and it's a damn shame that they didn't get to do at least one movie together.Can you imagine The pops and little dragon in a movie? Maybe they're doing Chin-na or sparring in the afterlife while looking at some of movies coming out down here and saying"They are missing all of the heavenly glory"?

Not to hijack the thread, but Yu So Chau was a hottie!

Now, back to Lau Kar Leung ---

I think that "Pops" is my favorite fight choreographer. Not only do I love to watch him fight but he was a good director that has directed a couple of the most iconic martial arts films of all times. 

I've really grown to respect him as I watch more of the films he directed. I still wish he would have made an entire movie with Chen, Ti and Wilson Tong's opening characters from The Spiritual Boxer, but... the man was just amazing. 

Finally saw Mad Monkey Kung Fu recently and he was so good in front and behind the camera. 

Between the movies he choregraphed for Chang Cheh, the classics he directed himself, and the roles he played in all these films would it be to outrageous a claim that he may be the single most important figure in MA cinema?

Between the movies he choregraphed for Chang Cheh, the classics he directed himself, and the roles he played in all these films would it be to outrageous a claim that he may be the single most important figure in MA cinema?

Not so outrageous. His longevity in film as well as martial arts was astounding.

What is everyone's favorite ending fight scene to a LKL film? Nearly every film he made ends with a classic showdown but I'm going with the final confrontation of "8 Diagram Pole Fighter."

On 13 January 2016 at 0:45 AM, Iron_Leopard said:

What is everyone's favorite ending fight scene to a LKL film? Nearly every film he made ends with a classic showdown but I'm going with the final confrontation of "8 Diagram Pole Fighter."

Mine would be MyYoung Auntie,great weapons and then the pops and Wang Lung Wei go at it with there hands and feet.In my opinion the best example of hung gar in any movie.

Lau was the third child of Lau Cham (Lau Jaam, 劉湛), a martial arts master who studied Hung Gar under Lam Sai-wing, a student of Wong Fei-hung.[4] He has a brother who makes a living in the film industry, actor/choreographer Lau Kar-wing, as does Gordon Liu, Lau's pupil and adopted godson to Lau's father, Lau Cham. His nephew Lau Kar-yung (son of his older sister) is also an actor, choreographer and director. Another nephew, Lau Wing-kin (Lau Kar-wing's son) is also an actor, and assisted Lau Kar-leung with action-directing Seven Swords.

Here is Lam Sai-wing doing:

Digital creation. There is something to the effect but hard to read at the end of the video....but the point is made!

Iron Wire Fist

GD Y-Y

Edited by GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Hi everybody, here's the cover and trailer of dvd riedition of a Mammoth-documentary (145 min.) about old Kungfu craze of 70's, including a long interview to Sifu Leung. No english sub, anyway I found it on FB page Home MoviesCH, its from Italy.

https://youtu.be/eTCdONNDS7s

cover.png

2 hours ago, yiyuen said:

Hi there Yiyuen............................WELCOME.............................and thanks for your input.

GD Y-Y

thanx Golden dragon, I'm happy this  site pay tribute to people and movies I loved so much in my Youth. By the way another actor I would love to know more about, its just the main owner of my nickname: Yi Yuen, or Yee Yuan, the moustached badguy in tons of Taiwanese gongfupian and wushapian. If some of you know something about his life, let me know. Sure he must be dead many years ago. Last movie where I saw him was Island on fire. 

Two images from my interview to Sifu Leung in HK, 2007. This is the only one he made for Italy. By the way he was in sorrow 'cause the industry pushed him aside and young generations in HK didn't  know his movies. R.I.P Sifu and thanx for the time You gifted me.

lcliang 1.bmp

lcliang 2.bmp

Here you can see an excerpt from my interview to Sifu Leung explaining the genesis of the One Armed Swordsman saga. Sadly its not english subtitled 'cause it was aired by italian TV, anyway the main thing he said was that he gave the idea to Chang Cheh and Wang Yu to broke the hero sword, 'cause the original sword was too longer and each time Wang drawed it with left hand it was a little bit complicated. If you know someone speaking cantonese or italian you can translate all of it. I made it in 2007. enjoy  

On 8/12/2018 at 4:50 PM, yiyuen said:

Hi everybody, here's the cover and trailer of dvd riedition of a Mammoth-documentary (145 min.) about old Kungfu craze of 70's, including a long interview to Sifu Leung. No english sub, anyway I found it on FB page Home MoviesCH, its from Italy. 

Hi, that link doesnt show up at all, I'm keen to watch the trialer.

Do you know about this vintage documetnary?, and has it ever ben released in its original form?

12 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Hi, that link doesnt show up at all, I'm keen to watch the trialer.

Do you know about this vintage documetnary?, and has it ever ben released in its original form?

Try here for the link, As far as concerning the documentary it was released in original form 2009 on italian tv, in 2011 on homevideo and now its available again on homevideo, on the Home MoviesCH Facebook page, here's the trailer link, hope you can see it now