Secret Executioner

The vinyl record thread

On 5/26/2019 at 5:59 AM, Secret Executioner said:

@Koravec Depends on what you consider "recent". Haven't bought records these past few months - on vinyl that is, as I bought quite a lot of CDs, essentially new Hard Rock/Metal releases from 2018/2019.

Off the top of my head, some of the most recent additions to my vinyl collection include 

Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark (reissue)

Geoff Love & his orchestra - Big War Movie Themes (a neat cover album if you like this kind of movies, which I obviously do 😛)

Rick Wakeman - Rhapsodies 

Frank Zappa - Ship arriving too late to save a drowning Witch 

Frank Zappa - Broadway the Hard Way

Spellbound: The classic Film Scores of Miklos Rosza (an anthology of movies themes written by Hungarian composer Mikos Rosza, including - but not exclusively focusing on - Alfred Hitchcock's Spellbound)

Do you know if the Bathory vinyl has the same remastering as the CDs? I've heard that the newer batch of CDs have slightly different mastering and EQ compared to the vinyl pressings (to the point where some fans avoid the CDs). I'm curious if the vinyl reissues might sound a little closer to the original pressings.

@Asmo No idea about that. It's a Black Mark release (so originally Swedish or German) and the label has a 2003 copyright. Discogs lists a vinyl release (a Swedish pressing) with the same label and year simply as a reissue. https://www.discogs.com/Bathory-Under-The-Sign-Of-The-Black-Mark/release/1311535

I would venture to say it must be the original mastering though, especially because a lot of CD releases (including from Black Mark) are listed as remasters on there. https://www.discogs.com/master/view/5784

Edited by Secret Executioner

Im kicking myself for not picking up Gentle Giant's Octopus album from my local record store. But Im unexcited to go back into the area since its a few doors down from where the mass shooting took place in Dayton :/. 

Called back about the Octopus album (version in the shape of a jar) but it had sold. 

A friend led me on to the new Moondance release with orange vinyl. Drove half an hour out of my way to grab a copy but they were sold out. Bought an Angry Young Them reisuue instead.