Secret Executioner

The vinyl record thread

Since we seem to have a lot of people who collect vinyl records, I figured a thread dedicated to this media would be appropriate.

I'll start off:

Started my collection in mid-2005. I had been going to a used record stores for some time and while I was essentially into CDs and eventually cassettes (remember those ? Still have a few), I started buying vinyls after finding some interesting titles in the vinyl bins. The first one I bought was Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap by AC/DC (got this one on CD, cassette and vinyl BTW), but I later bought albums I didn't have rather than albums I already had on other supports.

I got most of my collection between 2006 and 2010, with some buys from the Web but mainly buys from second hand stores or flea markets. Things went down between 2010 and 2014 as my interest moved to cinema (though I remained a big music listener) and there was a lack of proper record stores in my area - I still bought some stuff now and then, but it was rather seldom. Things started picking up when a new record store (entirely dedicated to vinyl records) opened in town last year. Now it's my favorite hangout and I buy a lot - either second hand records (what I'm mainly interested in and makes up the great majority of my collection), rereleases of old stuff (like the recent Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin repressings) or new stuff that gets released on vinyl (like the latest album by Arch Enemy or a Nightwish compilation from 2011).

I'm more into 33rpm albums, but got a lot of 7" singles and a couple of 10" records. I have a lot of picture discs and of color records too. Not sure how these are called, but I also have a Maiden single with a very strange shape (instead of being the circular record with a design on it, the record is shaped like the design).

While I started out with bands I knew and liked already, I later opened to bands I didn't know buying albums out of curiosity or because of the beautiful artworks (the juke box-like artwork of the compilation Records is the main reason I got into Foreigner). As far as genres go, I started out with hard rock/metal (AC/DC, Deep Purple and Kiss notably), but opened to other hard rock/metal acts (Blue Öyster Cult, Dio, Rainbow, Status Quo, Y&T), progressive rock (King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, Uriah Heep), classical/baroque (Vivaldi, Rossini, Stravinsky), pop rock (The Beatles, Foreigner, The Who), psychedelic rock (Pink Floyd, Iron Butterfly), electro (Space, Xymox - the latter is Dark Wave if you want to be technical)... While I essentially have hard rock/metal on CD and next to only that on my mp3 player, I find the experience of vinyl records - and the great quality of the sound these records have - makes next to anything enjoyable to listen to. There's some stuff I can't listen to on CD or mp3 that I love listening to on records (Pink Floyd and Status Quo notably - not sure what doesn't click with the Quo since it's some fun rock music, but I can listen to these guys ONLY on vinyl for some reason)

Basically, I like vinyl records more for listening than for doing DJ stuff (though I could try some time) and I also enjoy the beautiful artworks that stand out much better than the tiny stuff you get with CDs.

Voila, so if you have stories, rare pieces you wanna brag about (got some of those BTW) or simply want to discuss the format, fire away.

NICE THREAD SECRET EXECUTIONER :smile

I don't dj or any thing but have a lil nice collection of 7" 10" 12" vinyl records all hip hop of course lol I have a turntable but don't got the rest of the pieces like speakers and stuff I used to have one of the all in one stereo with record player cd cassettes but the sound was not good when it came to playing vinyl so I really don't listen to record that much but still collect them if that makes any cents lol :smile:rofl but I also love the artwork and the sound of records better then any other format of music I have this records by paul nice that the cover is the avenging eagles kung fu movie artwork on the whole cover and another one has lo lieh five fingers of death artwork on the whole cover I LOVE THAT :smile have some rare records in my collection as well limited edition and every thing and to think about it vinyl is like the only format that is still alive every thing else in music is gone like a tracks cassettes and I bet you in the future something will take the place of cds LONG LIVE VINYL :smile:clappinghands:rockon

Yeah, it's kinda tricky getting a good system to listen to your records - I have the turntable and speakers (with a bass amplifier), but I also have an intermediary device in between. Not sure what it does (guess it's some kind of amplifier) but I'm certainly really pleased with the setting I have.

Some records have really cool artworks. I like the examples you mentionned. Seems like rap and hip hop are the only genres where you get references to KF cinema, which I find a bit sad since I'm not a big fan of those genres.

I agree with your last point. 8-tracks and cassettes were/are (?) quite handy but not really good (never had 8-tracks but from what I've read it seemed like a pretty bad format) and CD is okay (though I haven't bought any in ages) with good quality and it's kinda handy too, but vinyl is not only returning full force, but is also the best format and seems impossible to replace - sure it's really not handy and it's also kinda fragile, but the audio quality and the visual presentation are marvelous. Considering the replacement of CDs, I'd say it's already there. It's called downloads and digital music (you know, mp3). I guess that we'll soon have the choice between the sub-par digital stuff and the vinyl - if it weren't so handy (have a shitload of music on a very small device), I wouldn't give a damn about digital.

As someone that started DJing when I was in the 6th grade, and has done everything from Radio to Clubs and everything in between, like so many DJ's who started young, I use to save my lunch money in Junior High, and on Friday's go buy 12 inches, as many as I could afford. I remember kindly asking my parents and relatives, if they were going to get my anything for my birthday or Christmas, to PLEASE give me cash. Which of course I would use to buy records.

I eventually went ALL digital, no longer needed to buy vinyl. It's been quite some time since I've bought a record. I still own thousands though.

Some records have really cool artworks. I like the examples you mentionned. Seems like rap and hip hop are the only genres where you get references to KF cinema, which I find a bit sad since I'm not a big fan of those genres.

I'll post something more in-depth when I have time, about my collection but I can tell you that there are some metal bands who reference kung fu cinema, in their music if not the artwork.

I actually have a split CD by two bands where the art is made to look like a DVD cover of a Golden Harvest film (not a specific film). It's a shame that the vinyl version of the split has different artwork, because it would look great in a bigger format.

I'll post something more in-depth when I have time, about my collection but I can tell you that there are some metal bands who reference kung fu cinema, in their music if not the artwork.

I actually have a split CD by two bands where the art is made to look like a DVD cover of a Golden Harvest film (not a specific film). It's a shame that the vinyl version of the split has different artwork, because it would look great in a bigger format.

I would love to see images of the artwork you mentioned, definitely sounds cool.

Now you made me curious. Except for the album Club Ninja by Blue Oyster Cult, I don't think I have anything having to do with MA and/or MA cinema in my collection (except for tracks "borrowed" for use in MA movies and the CD of the Enter The Dragon OST).

I would love to see images of the artwork you mentioned, definitely sounds cool.

I'll try to find it, if I can't find anything big enough I'll try to scan my copy.

Now you made me curious. Except for the album Club Ninja by Blue Oyster Cult, I don't think I have anything having to do with MA and/or MA cinema in my collection (except for tracks "borrowed" for use in MA movies and the CD of the Enter The Dragon OST).

Two I can think of are Dim Mak, and Shaolin Death Squad.

I haven't listened to either of those artists in a while but Dim Mak has an album called Enter the Dragon, and one called Intercepting Fist.

Shaolin Death Squad has an album called, and partly inspired by, Five Deadly Venoms. They even seem to perform live in Venoms inspired masks (at least I saw a photo of something like that, hehe).

Purchased a nice lot of vinyl records this week:

Anthrax - A Fistful Of Metal

Anthrax - I'm The Man (EP)

Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell

Black Sabbath - The Mob Rules

Black Sabbath - Live Evil (live album, 2-record set)

Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour '74 (live album, 2-record set)

Iron Maiden - Powerslave (2014 re-release)

Judas Priest - Turbo

Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry

Whitesnake - Whitesnake ? 1987 ? Not sure the actual title (if this album actually has one)

:clappinghands:rockon

Heres a little physical vs digital thoughtpiece on vinyl that I realized about myself. If music was as accessible today through youtube and spotify, I dont think I ever would have started collecting vinyl. 

Coming from just ten years ago this wasnt the case and I was buying tons of cds to discover music. So back then it was a dilemma between buying the cd or vinyl, sure cd was a little more convenient for me but I saw vinyl as having greater value, nolvelty, and collectability. Now acquiring vinyl its all novelty if Im being honest. I think about ridding my collection sometimes, but I dont think I actually could or would want to. I do feel a bit too deep into it by now. Just have to remind myself to chill out on buying more stuff too often.

While I love records and think giant collections are awesome, they simply take up too much space, care, and work to maintain 🤔.

^I say all that but I still picked up a ton on Record Store Day. 2 rsd releases, one new, and a stack of used vinyl.

I dont understand why people wait in large lines for hours before the record stores open and act like theyre crazy about the new releases when they could care less about regular vinyl releases otherwise. Wondering what percentage of people are resellers, which is something Ive heard being speculated.

Considering some Record Store Day releases pop up on eBay and the likes just a few minutes after stores have opened, one can say it's more than just speculation - there's definitely sellers among people rushing to local record stores on that day.

@Koravec Depends on what you consider "recent". Haven't bought records these past few months - on vinyl that is, as I bought quite a lot of CDs, essentially new Hard Rock/Metal releases from 2018/2019.

Off the top of my head, some of the most recent additions to my vinyl collection include 

Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark (reissue)

Geoff Love & his orchestra - Big War Movie Themes (a neat cover album if you like this kind of movies, which I obviously do 😛)

Rick Wakeman - Rhapsodies 

Frank Zappa - Ship arriving too late to save a drowning Witch 

Frank Zappa - Broadway the Hard Way

Spellbound: The classic Film Scores of Miklos Rosza (an anthology of movies themes written by Hungarian composer Mikos Rosza, including - but not exclusively focusing on - Alfred Hitchcock's Spellbound)