I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
mpm74

Justin Lin's WARRIOR (2019) – based on an idea by Bruce Lee

I thought the Ah Sahm/Hop Wei Tong fight scene, while a bit scrappy, was really fun. A nice combination of traditional kung fu-like stuff and John Wick-esque brutality. I'm excited to see where this show goes. Next week's episode looks to be an all out war.

Ratings

Air date Episode 18-49 demo % demo change Viewers (mil) % mil change

Fri 4/5/2019 01-01 0.03   0.157  

Fri 4/12/2019 01-02 0.03 0.00% 0.114 -27.39%

Fri 4/19/2019 01-03 0.04 33.33% 0.146 28.07%

Fri 4/26/2019 01-04 0.04 0.00% 0.147 0.68%

Fri 5/3/2019 01-05 0.03 -25.00% 0.138 -6.12%

Fri 5/10/2019 01-06 0.03 0.00% 0.090 -34.78%

Fri 5/17/2019 01-07 0.03 0.00% 0.144

Season finale coming up this week. Wasn't even aware of it :smile Looks like they're going out with a bang...

10 minutes ago, laagi said:

Season finale coming up this week. Wasn't even aware of it :smile Looks like they're going out with a bang...

Yep! Friday's episode was solid. I didn't love the big duel as much as I thought I might but it was above average.

18 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Yep! Friday's episode was solid. I didn't love the big duel as much as I thought I might but it was above average.

I agree the duel reminded me too much of those cheesy 80s/90s fights where they just keep flexing their muscles.

I'm curious how the show will wrap up... a second season is apparently already in the works.

Last but not least as a general rant. Is it just me or was the entire show poorly marketed? I mean if it weren't for cityonfire.com I wouldn't even have known about this.

35 minutes ago, laagi said:

I agree the duel reminded me too much of those cheesy 80s/90s fights where they just keep flexing their muscles.

I'm curious how the show will wrap up... a second season is apparently already in the works.

Last but not least as a general rant. Is it just me or was the entire show poorly marketed? I mean if it weren't for cityonfire.com I wouldn't even have known about this.

Yep, it's definitely been renewed. In fact, some of the second season my already have been shot. I'm not sure.

And you're absolutely right, this show was marketed horribly. I know it's a Cinemax show and Cinemax isn't exactly known for its quality shows, but it's definitely gotten better over the years. It's sad how many people are missing out on this show because they've never heard o fit.

On 6/4/2019 at 3:25 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Yep, it's definitely been renewed. In fact, some of the second season my already have been shot. I'm not sure.

And you're absolutely right, this show was marketed horribly. I know it's a Cinemax show and Cinemax isn't exactly known for its quality shows, but it's definitely gotten better over the years. It's sad how many people are missing out on this show because they've never heard o fit.

Yeah I don't get it. Shannon Lee and her enterprise haven't been exaclty shy about "using" the Bruce Lee brand, but here they seem oddly reserved.

Also while I welcome a second season it does strike me as a bit of a surprise. Because if you add it all up I don't think it's been very successful if you just go by the numbers.

Anyway I'm really anticipating the finale. I hope it delivers and that in the future more people will get to watch it!

I personally liked the last episode of this season. The fight scene was great and in my opinion, an homage to Enter the Dragon's "Bruce lee vs Han's guards inside the cave" scene. You could clearly see it. 

2 hours ago, edher_M.A. said:

I personally liked the last episode of this season. The fight scene was great and in my opinion, an homage to Enter the Dragon's "Bruce lee vs Han's guards inside the cave" scene. You could clearly see it. 

This was confirmed during the interview at the end of the episode :wink It was ok for a "finale" but it was also clear it served mainly as a setup for things to come. Nice fight!

I enjoyed the episode buy agree with @laagi, it was definitely a set-up for season 2. With that said, I enjoyed the major fight scene in this one more than most fights throughout the season. I thought it was great.

Roll on season 2!

In the middle of putting together a compilation of all fights; clock currently ticking in at approx. 100 minutes :smile

On 6/4/2019 at 8:48 AM, laagi said:

I saw a commercial for it during the Into the Badlands finale, otherwise, I wouldn’t have known either. 

Started airing on Australian pay TV this past Wednesday. I have the first episode recorded, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I've consciously avoided spoilers, but I'm glad to hear that the reception to the series has been good.

The first episode aired in the UK and... I don't love it. The fights are good, the power really comes across and I like the little homages to Bruce, a la touching his nose. But. The dialogue is awful. I'm not offended by swearing at all but there was so much it really jarred. I felt it was 21st Century characters and speech just plonked into the 1800s with no attempt at grounding it there. I'll keep watching to see how it develops.

Edited by SamSeed

15 hours ago, SamSeed said:

The first episode aired in the UK and... I don't love it. The fights are good, the power really comes across and I like the little homages to Bruce, a la touching his nose. But. The dialogue is awful. I'm not offended by swearing at all but there was so much it really jarred. I felt it was 21st Century characters and speech just plonked into the 1800s with no attempt at grounding it there. I'll keep watching to see how it develops.

I've not got round to watching this yet, but recorded the first episode when it aired on Sky.

Caught the first episode of this last night, got the rest of the series lined up on my Sky Box. Still a prefer to watch a series slowly, rather than devouring it all in one weekend. Overall I thought it was very good, with some solid performance from all involved. The action is of good standard, and there no hyper editing to suggest it was poorly executed or quickly filmed. The one benfit or nagative, for this being made now rather than in the late 60's. T.V show's don't have the same strict regulations with violence,sex and bad language. Like other have poited out here, a lot of the bad language seem's really out of place for the period. That said, this show isnt trying to be an authentic recreation of the early 1900's. Though they have done a great job of re-creating the San Francisco setting, in South Africa. Andrew Koji reminds me of  cross between John Cusack and Keanu Reeve's. Which mean's he doesnt come across as a poor man's BL at all. I like how they have tried to re-create a world were electrical lighting was not like today's. Yet it leaves some scenes very poorly lit.

I'm done putting together the compilation of all fights; final runtime is approx. 105 minutes. Tried uploading it on youtube... not gonna happen :doh

I got round to viewing episode two last night, getting through this one very slowly by modern media devouring standards. Still got me hooked to see the next episode. Though the poor lighting during many of the time nightime scenes, remains a negative. This as most noticable during the fight's, has this been done to mask some of the more graphic violence?. Maybe Netflix asked them to tone it down slightly?, the comapny is now affliated with the hugeul infleuntial MPAA.

Star Andrew Koji and the supporting cast continue to impress. There's a pretty international line, with some familiar faces from British T.V/Film. Christian McKay as the perverted town Mayor being one of them. Stage, film and T.V actor Hoon Lee as Wang Chao, deliver's just one of many stand-out performances. The former Harvard University tudent makes for a great scmeming villain. Loved his line about America of the late 1800's not being a country to grow old in. That he hoped th a merry but short life. This reminded me of a line from a book I read about real life Pirates, set around the same era. In which part of their moto/beleive, was to live a short but enjoyable life. Rather than a long and misrable one, serving the various Empire's who hunted them.

The fiery and violent opening scene of Episode 2.

MV5BMjY0MzliNjEtMjAwYi00OWJlLTlhN2UtMWVk

Actor's Hoon(Wang Chao Lee ad Andrew Koji(Ah Sahm)

MV5BMzI4ZGI3OWQtOWEyZS00NDgxLWI4YjQtNzlm

I watched Season 1 since Monday. Liked it from the very beginning until the end and was always looking forward to the next episode. Some humour, good action. So much better than Netflix's recent Wu Assassins. Looking forward to Season 2 which I understand should come out in early 2020.

Edited by bigrogie
correction

On 6/6/2019 at 8:23 AM, hanshotfirst1138 said:

I just wish the bastards at Comcast would let paying customers log into the Cinemax app instead of just watching on my damn PC. 

Oh man I know the feeling. I hate watching movies on pc.