jrodefeld

Hong Kong Rescue Custom Blu-Rays of Hong Kong Cinema Classics!

I'm curious as to what people think about Custom Fanmade Commentaries or features?

Are there any real experts on 'Project A' on this forum for example? Someone who could do a commentary track?

Or is there someone out there housing a big 'Project A' collection of merchandise etc? Something they could film a piece on.

Not sure what people think about that but sourcing the community for unofficial extras as well as official is something I think could really add to these releases?

High Res scans of poster artwork maybe could be included?

I can see how it'd be difficult to do but something to consider?

Hey Jacob, would you consider doing Iron Monkey in the series? I hate the sound effects in the Miramax version.

The HK Blu ray of Iron Monkey is uncut and true HD, even if the print is a little worn.

The HK Blu ray of Iron Monkey is uncut and true HD, even if the print is a little worn.

Ah, I did not know that. I saw a rip that looked like an upscale.

Thanks!

Just watched Supercop.Fantastic job,must have been an arduous task editing the excised footage from the upscale into the HD print.can't wait for Project A,i imagine it'll be a while off yet?

Been watching both DMs off of this customs lately, and I can confirm that these releases are solid stuff. Probably the best we can ever expect. Id never in a million years expected to see Drunken Master in that kind of quality!!

I was looking forward to watch the original dub/score to DM2, but it fell short of my taste and I skipped back to the Jackie dub/score. Its hard enjoying different versions of Jackie movies as much the ones you grew up to. Having the choices and possibility to explore the movies further is such a luxury though! Im just saying its a smart thing for you to include multiple dubs, youre pretty much pleasing everyone at anything. Im down to whatevers next, keep it up.

Good work. But are your subtitle fonts not a little too small? Been looking at your previews on youtube and the subtitles look tiny and in that distracting, fancy font. I couldn't read them at all. Obviously that was youtube and I realise it will be different on the actual bluray ona tv screen. (i would hope) I'm just wondering how they look on average to small sized tv screens on the real thing. Does one have to strain to read them?

HKR_6_PROJECT_A_BLU_RAY_COVER_ART.jpg

Here is a preview of the cover art for Project A. This one is almost certain to be a 2 disc set given the huge amount of special features and other materials there are. I'm using the recent Japanese Blu-ray and the US Echo Bridge Blu-ray to get the transfers. I'll probably end up including both the US/Hong Kong cut of the film and the Japanese theatrical cut with all the audio options and commentaries that are out there.

Consider me "in line" to get PROJECT A whenever it's ready.

Was too wound up after work to go right to sleep, so I put on the BD of SUPERCOP and watched an hour of the extras. Great job!!! :nerd:

To echo everyone elses comments, as a community of kung-fu fans I think we're all very appreciative and grateful for these releases.

I did have one quesiton, 99% of the discussion seems to be on Jackie Chan titles, but as the scope is Hong Kong movies in general, as much as I love Jackie, do you have any other non-Jackie related titles lined up for release?

i think he's mentioned Fist Of Legend,but while not perfect i thought the official release was ok.

Yes, Fist of Legend would be one I'd like to do. Although I do think this is one of the few releases from Dragon Dynasty that is reasonable. The video quality looks pretty good on the transfer and it is uncut (as far as I know). However, the subtitles are actually dubtitles and I believe the audio is a remix. The benefit for our version would be fixed and corrected subtitles, the original Cantonese in uncompressed PCM plus all the other audio tracks and all the special features and commentaries.

The reason I am focused on Jackie Chan films at the moment is that with these new Japanese Blu-ray releases we are finally seeing genuine HD transfers of a bunch of Jackie's early films. I'd definitely like to do justice to his classics.

The problem, as I've said before, is in locating quality HD transfers for these films. I'd love to do more John Woo films, but most of them are only available as upscales. We got lucky that Paramount released a quality HD Blu-ray in Japan a couple years ago so I was able to create the great version you have seen. I know that someone is doing a new restoration of A Better Tomorrow and if or when that is released on Blu-ray I can do a hybrid version of that classic. I am hoping that The Killer will be released in genuine HD in Japan sometime soon.

The next couple of titles will probably be Jackie films as well, then I'll work on some different titles. If you have any suggestions, I am open to anything. Just be aware that there needs to be a reasonable transfer of the film available somewhere in high definition for it to qualify for the Hong Kong Rescue Collection.

Yes, Fist of Legend would be one I'd like to do. Although I do think this is one of the few releases from Dragon Dynasty that is reasonable. The video quality looks pretty good on the transfer and it is uncut (as far as I know). However, the subtitles are actually dubtitles and I believe the audio is a remix. The benefit for our version would be fixed and corrected subtitles, the original Cantonese in uncompressed PCM plus all the other audio tracks and all the special features and commentaries.

The reason I am focused on Jackie Chan films at the moment is that with these new Japanese Blu-ray releases we are finally seeing genuine HD transfers of a bunch of Jackie's early films. I'd definitely like to do justice to his classics.

The problem, as I've said before, is in locating quality HD transfers for these films. I'd love to do more John Woo films, but most of them are only available as upscales. We got lucky that Paramount released a quality HD Blu-ray in Japan a couple years ago so I was able to create the great version you have seen. I know that someone is doing a new restoration of A Better Tomorrow and if or when that is released on Blu-ray I can do a hybrid version of that classic. I am hoping that The Killer will be released in genuine HD in Japan sometime soon.

The next couple of titles will probably be Jackie films as well, then I'll work on some different titles. If you have any suggestions, I am open to anything. Just be aware that there needs to be a reasonable transfer of the film available somewhere in high definition for it to qualify for the Hong Kong Rescue Collection.

Keep in mind that the Cine-Asia blu-ray, while mostly the same as the Dragon Dynasty release, seems to have proper subtitles rather than dubtitles.

Thought I'd take the plunge on these amazing-sounding Blu-rays. I ordered POLICE STORY, HARD-BOILED and DRUNKEN MASTER 2. They arrived a few days ago, but I hadn't had a chance to check them out until this evening. First thing I did was pop in POLICE STORY and watch the entire extended Japanese release version with my son, who had never seen the film before. He loved it. I gotta say, I don't think I need to watch the shorter cut ever again; the film plays so much better with the restored opening and closing scenes. I used to have an unsubtitled copy of the ancient Japanese laserdisc, and have always preferred the long version. Thank you SO MUCH, Jacob and crew, for making a subtitled version of this complete classic available!

Second thing I did was pop in DRUNKEN MASTER 2, but it froze at the menu after the curtain opened and locked up my player. :-( I had to unplug and replug the player to eject the disc. I'm hoping a replacement will fix matters...anyone else have that problem with this title?

Third thing I did was pop in HARD-BOILED and watch the opening scene with my son, who hadn't seen this film either. Beautiful to behold, with much-improved subtitles, and the uncompressed PCM Cantonese soundtrack seems to sound better than the Dragon Dynasty Blu from what I remember.

Two out of three are exactly what I was hoping for and more; hopefully I can get a working DM2 as well. I have also ordered SUPERCOP and I'm sure it will be just as fantastic a presentation, uncut with proper soundtrack at last. Wonderful cover art on all of these too; just a phenomenal job all around. Thank you SO SO MUCH, as you have done the fans a great service by delivering what the distribs wouldn't. I will be ordering as many of these holy grails as you put out.

Question re: POLICE STORY: it looks like the extended Japanese print was also used for the bulk of the HK cut; wasn't the HK cut restored on the Japanese steelbook? Just curious, as I was expecting it to look better than the Japanese print. Not remotely complaining, mind you; as I said, my fave version is the extended cut anyway. :-)

Question re: POLICE STORY: it looks like the extended Japanese print was also used for the bulk of the HK cut; wasn't the HK cut restored on the Japanese steelbook? Just curious, as I was expecting it to look better than the Japanese print. Not remotely complaining, mind you; as I said, my fave version is the extended cut anyway. :-)

The Japanese steelbook used the upscaled Fortune Star print of the HK version. So reconstructing the HK print using footage from the Japanese print would have been the only way to get a true HD version of the HK version of the film.

Thought I'd take the plunge on these amazing-sounding Blu-rays. I ordered POLICE STORY, HARD-BOILED and DRUNKEN MASTER 2. They arrived a few days ago, but I hadn't had a chance to check them out until this evening. First thing I did was pop in POLICE STORY and watch the entire extended Japanese release version with my son, who had never seen the film before. He loved it. I gotta say, I don't think I need to watch the shorter cut ever again; the film plays so much better with the restored opening and closing scenes. I used to have an unsubtitled copy of the ancient Japanese laserdisc, and have always preferred the long version. Thank you SO MUCH, Jacob and crew, for making a subtitled version of this complete classic available!

Second thing I did was pop in DRUNKEN MASTER 2, but it froze at the menu after the curtain opened and locked up my player. :-( I had to unplug and replug the player to eject the disc. I'm hoping a replacement will fix matters...anyone else have that problem with this title?

Third thing I did was pop in HARD-BOILED and watch the opening scene with my son, who hadn't seen this film either. Beautiful to behold, with much-improved subtitles, and the uncompressed PCM Cantonese soundtrack seems to sound better than the Dragon Dynasty Blu from what I remember.

Two out of three are exactly what I was hoping for and more; hopefully I can get a working DM2 as well. I have also ordered SUPERCOP and I'm sure it will be just as fantastic a presentation, uncut with proper soundtrack at last. Wonderful cover art on all of these too; just a phenomenal job all around. Thank you SO SO MUCH, as you have done the fans a great service by delivering what the distribs wouldn't. I will be ordering as many of these holy grails as you put out.

I'll send out a replacement DM2 disc as soon as I can. It was probably just a bad burn. I'm glad you enjoyed the other two titles though. I think we've got something special here and I'd love to continue as long as I've got the time to work on these.