Jump to content

I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

jrodefeld

Hong Kong Rescue Custom Blu-Rays of Hong Kong Cinema Classics!

Recommended Posts

Okay, Armour of God replacement discs are done.

What I've decided to do is remove entirely the 7.1 remixed Cantonese track from both the Hong Kong Version and Miramax Version.  Nobody seemed to like it, and it took up a huge amount of space on the disc.

In fact I saved so much space I was able to up the bitrate on the videos a little, which seems to be a much better allocation of space.

In addition, I added the original Cantonese 2.0 audio from the Deltamac DVD as an option on the Hong Kong Version.  After careful comparison, I do think it sounds better in some ways than the HK Star laserdisc.  The clarity is a bit better.  In fact, I think this may be the preferred default, though it may be lacking slightly in fullness and warmth.

You can now select either Lorelei or High Upon High for the ending when selecting the Deltamac Original Cantonese or the Pony Canyon Original English Dub options on the audio selection menu.  Now the entire film will play seamlessly with no pause on chapter points.  There is no fooling with Playlists this time.  Just one Timeline with 8 different audio tracks.

The rest of the disc is identical, except for two things.  First I also deleted the Mandarin audio option from the Miramax Version, since no-one ever is going to opt to watch this audio track with the edited Miramax cut (though the Mandarin audio is still present on the Hong Kong Version).

Second, I added an additional subtitle for the lyrics of Lorelei over the end credits.  More than a few people have thought that the audio cut-out that occurs during the out-take where Jackie falls from the tree is an error, when in fact it is intentional.  I just added the subtitle "(silence)" to indicate that this is the case.

I managed to reduce the total size of both discs slightly compared to the first version.  I've discovered that when I push up too close to the capacity of the Blu-ray discs, I get much more frequent bad burns.

Another thing I've noticed is that navigation is now smoother, and the pause when changing menus or on loop points is significantly reduced.  It's like the laser on the Blu-ray player doesn't have to work as hard to find the data it's looking for.

 

It's always possible to find something that someone might wish was done differently.  But for this project I think I've done what I can.

I can verify that both discs work perfectly on my PS4.

 

I'll be sending out replacement discs all week, as well as orders I hadn't yet gotten to when I discovered these errors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

In addition, I added the original Cantonese 2.0 audio from the Deltamac DVD as an option on the Hong Kong Version.  After careful comparison, I do think it sounds better in some ways than the HK Star laserdisc.  The clarity is a bit better.  In fact, I think this may be the preferred default, though it may be lacking slightly in fullness and warmth.

@jrodefeld I think you should keep both the HK Star Laserdisc original Cantonese mono and add the original Canto 2.0 mono from the Deltamac DVD for the HK Version.  Furthermore, I like the option of being able to choose and it is appealing since it could be subjective like you said and dependent on the type of speakers being used.  Is the Deltamac DVD mono track like a high quality digital recording in comparison do you think?  In any case regardless of clarity, any Canto 2.0 original mono is a step up from the remixed tracks and should always be top priority.  That's half the reason these projects are necessary in the first place since the studios neglect to include them or provide a subpar quality mono or, worse, a folded down track that is not authentic mono. 

Am I understanding your post correctly and you kept the HK Star laserdisc mono still while adding the Deltamac 2.0 track on the Hong Kong Version?

The first tracks to be deleted to save space would be the 7.1 Cantonese remix of course and second the Mandarin track is not essential either since I would think most hardcore fans would choose either the original 2.0 Cantonese mono or the original English dub as the preferred tracks when watching the film.    It looks like you did indeed decide to remove the 7.1 remix and Mandarin track so I applaud your decision on that.  

I have read that about when you push the data held too close to the 50GB capacity it increases the chance the burned discs would be faulty so you are absolutely correct there.   I wanted to add if Hard Boiled was giving you  persistent issues stemming from one of the audio tracks  if it was one of the remixed tracks or Mandarin audio  maybe you could just delete that as well.  It sounds like you fixed the issue though but it might reduce the amount of bad burns to a significant degree to consider it if the space with all those audio options is extremely close to the 50 GB limit. I think most fans would choose the PCM Cantonese mono on Hard Boiled from the Laserdisc anyway since it sounds the best and is the original audio.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jacob any chance you can upload the digital as with Christmas post being a nightmare we could be waiting an eternity for our replacement discs thanks bro in advance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jrodefeld said:

I'll be sending out replacement discs all week, as well as orders I hadn't yet gotten to when I discovered these errors.

Hi Jacob,

Just wanted to say thanks for your hard work you've put in to get this sorted. I can't wait for my AOG as well as Hard Boiled & PS1 to complete my HKR collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jacob, i purchased your digital and burned the faulty Armour disc myself.Now there is a corrected, updated version can i be sent the digitak link for Disc One with the updated file please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

General question - So, if we order Armour of God, Hard Boiled and Drunken Master 2, do we get the brand new updated discs now? @jrodefeld

 

I ask as I am still waiting for my Hard Boiled replacement discs and haven’t bothered emailing you again about it as I thought you could send it along with my order of Armour of God and Drunken Master 2 - just need to know if they are both ready to order in their corrected and up to date versions first that’s all. 

 

Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't wait for my replacement Hard Boiled discs and AOG to show up. Glad to see the pointless 7.1 remixes are gone. The one blu ray I own with remix audio, even with a proper setup, the 7.1 audio sounds awful. That being on The Fearless Hyena. So I assume that's the case with the 7.1 mixes you were using.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 9:31 AM, jrodefeld said:

Okay, Armour of God replacement discs are done.

What I've decided to do is remove entirely the 7.1 remixed Cantonese track from both the Hong Kong Version and Miramax Version.  Nobody seemed to like it, and it took up a huge amount of space on the disc.

In fact I saved so much space I was able to up the bitrate on the videos a little, which seems to be a much better allocation of space.

In addition, I added the original Cantonese 2.0 audio from the Deltamac DVD as an option on the Hong Kong Version.  After careful comparison, I do think it sounds better in some ways than the HK Star laserdisc.  The clarity is a bit better.  In fact, I think this may be the preferred default, though it may be lacking slightly in fullness and warmth.

You can now select either Lorelei or High Upon High for the ending when selecting the Deltamac Original Cantonese or the Pony Canyon Original English Dub options on the audio selection menu.  Now the entire film will play seamlessly with no pause on chapter points.  There is no fooling with Playlists this time.  Just one Timeline with 8 different audio tracks.

The rest of the disc is identical, except for two things.  First I also deleted the Mandarin audio option from the Miramax Version, since no-one ever is going to opt to watch this audio track with the edited Miramax cut (though the Mandarin audio is still present on the Hong Kong Version).

Second, I added an additional subtitle for the lyrics of Lorelei over the end credits.  More than a few people have thought that the audio cut-out that occurs during the out-take where Jackie falls from the tree is an error, when in fact it is intentional.  I just added the subtitle "(silence)" to indicate that this is the case.

I managed to reduce the total size of both discs slightly compared to the first version.  I've discovered that when I push up too close to the capacity of the Blu-ray discs, I get much more frequent bad burns.

Another thing I've noticed is that navigation is now smoother, and the pause when changing menus or on loop points is significantly reduced.  It's like the laser on the Blu-ray player doesn't have to work as hard to find the data it's looking for.

 

It's always possible to find something that someone might wish was done differently.  But for this project I think I've done what I can.

I can verify that both discs work perfectly on my PS4.

 

I'll be sending out replacement discs all week, as well as orders I hadn't yet gotten to when I discovered these errors.

How are you dealing sending replacement discs? Do I need to contact you again? I have emailed you and PM you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My suggestion is, if you just want a nice viewing experience, stick to MP4's. For all we know, companies like Sony are "updating" their "user experience" to make it so you cannot play anything but corporate friendly DVD's, doesn't matter that the original artists are not getting a penny. Any, I am all about the movie itself, so I am in a different category. I like having the covers made for the fans when I can, but to me the most important thing is getting rare films or improved versions of of things that were only on say a DVD with cutoff subs, etc. Of course, I have also seen almost all of Jackie's movies on the big screen several times, so I am not as ardent a fan as other people on here. 

Anyway, back to the subject, so much can go wrong and the manufacturers of most DVD players and for all we know, DVD makers for the public, are trying to make sure that if you get physical media, you get it from Sony or some other multinational. The "free market" isn't really about the best product or choice, it's about leverage and making sure they get as much of a monopoly as possible. Once there are only a few companies (Verbatim, for instance) they can just put out shit products, or in the case of Comcast, throttle the delivery system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sent this to Jacob whilst i was awaiting membership to this site. I'm putting it up here not that Jacob should change his discs at all, and not that anyone should agree with me, but just for opinion following Jacob's questions:


Having studied the AoG audio tracks most of today, this is my summary:

1) The HK star laserdisc audio whilst really clear is tinny and sounds a bit like it was recorded in a toilet on the talkie parts
2) The Deltamac audio sounds like an audio track was taken and downsampled so many times that you're left with a 20kb bitrate file. The sound is good though, but it lacks bass. Listen to Midnight Rider on YouTube for example then compare to this and the HKL/MediumRare/Paramount releases.
3) The best audio track imho is the dd 2.0 track on the MediumRare release - has a bit of bass and is also clear. This is similar to the HKL/Paramount and dare i say 7.1 tracks, but is the clearest sounding of them. I'd forget the 7.1 track also. Keep all eng dubs where possible. 

Personally i would make that track the basis for end song splitting. I still like the hk star laserdisc and deltamac in their own rights so i'd keep them on (with one ending) and drop the podcast (which doesn't seem that scene relevant and can just be an extra if need be).

1) cant dd 2.0 (lorelei) (mediumrare)
2) cant dd 2.0 (high upon high) (mediumrare)
3) cant lpcm (hk star laserdisc)
4) cant dd 2.0 (deltamac)
5) orig eng dub lpcm (lorelei) (pony)
6) orig eng dub lpcm (high upon high) (pony)
7) new eng dub 5.1 (HKL)
😎 mand dd 2.0 (deltamac) 


For the miramax:

1) miramax eng dub dts hd (miramax)
2) orig eng dub lpcm (pony laserdisc)
3) new eng dub dd 5.1 (HKL)
4) cant dd 2.0 (mediumrare)
5) cant lpcm (hk star laserdisc)
6) cant dd 2.0 (deltamac)
7) mand dd 2.0 (deltamac)

You'll notice this makes an extra track! However, getting rid of the 7.1 tracks and using the cant dd.20 should save some space, and not sure why the mand from deltamac needs to be converted to lpcm?

I was surprised to find the dd 2.0 track on the mediumrare to be the all round best to me, but then i'm not one for obsessing over 'original' or lpcm tracks. It just sounds the best to me. Maybe others will disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 12:34 PM, newgen2005 said:

I find the lack of communication very frustrating. 

If I didn’t get any response by this time tomorrow I am contacting PayPal and asking for my money back. 

We have all paid our money and received discs that we can’t even play. I understand the other issue had to be corrected and that it wouldn’t be a five minute job. My gripe is receiving 2 discs that don’t even play, and the seller not even bothering to reply to emails.

I’ve had one reply on here (PM) from Jacob, and I bet that was only because an admin warned Jacob about his lack of communication regarding this issue.

Sorry but I have had enough of this Jacob.

 

 

Sorry I missed your emails.  I hope you understand that I'm processing these orders as fast as I can.  The revised discs for Armour of God were only completed a few days ago, and I've been sending out new orders every day.

I am trying to communicate with everyone the best I am able under the circumstances.  

When unexpected events happen, it can take a little while to catch up especially when I'm dealing with a high number of orders.

If I haven't responded to your message or email, that doesn't mean I've forgotten about you or your order.

Usually it means that I'm dealing with one issue or another relating to sending out these orders as fast as I can.  This may involve getting more supplies (photo paper, printer ink, discs or cases), dealing with printer issues, or fixing up an issue with the discs themselves.

I'm doing the best I can, I hope most people understand that.

 

If anyone, at any time, doesn't want to wait for the discs they ordered, I will give them a refund.  If they'd rather have the discs, I'll do everything I can to send them as soon as possible.

In case it's not obvious, this Hong Kong Rescue thing is hard to scale up, at least as far as the physical copies are concerned.  There are hard limits to the number of discs I can burn in a day, and packages I can ship out.  When I have to issue replacement discs, or other unforeseen events throw off the normal routine, it can take even longer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, newgen2005 said:

I understand your situation. I don’t expect replacement discs instantly. People on here that have received bad discs just want some sort of communication from you. A simple email saying what’s going on isn’t much to ask surely?

I fail to understand why you only respond on this page, while PM and emails are being ignored!

I feel I have been more than patient, I mean how many more PM and emails do you want me to send?

@newgen2005 - Please familiarize yourself with the below post from the moderation team.  Your posts will be deleted tomorrow.  This is a forum for discussing kung-fu movies, myself and the rest of the Moderation Team now have a closed door policy on utilizing it as a complaints platform for someone's custom projects. @jrodefeld - As stated in the post, if we receive enough of these complaints through the forum, the thread will be eventually closed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@newgen2005You (and others) been warned several times now about utilizing this thread as a complaints platform.

If you have a problem, you should then PM Jacob directly.

We cannot keep reminding you.

Any more posts on this thread that are NOT about the films themselves will be removed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Karlos said:

@newgen2005You (and others) been warned several times now about utilizing this thread as a complaints platform.

If you have a problem, you should then PM Jacob directly.

We cannot keep reminding you.

Any more posts on this thread that are NOT about the films themselves will be removed.

Well I think as admins you should remove this thread as the guy is clearly taking us all for a ride. How much longer can this go on for, taking people’s money and either not delivering the goods or sending stuff that doesn’t work!

He hasn’t replied to any of my messages through; PM on here, his email, and via PayPal.

It seems to me like the admins on here are defending HKR, sorry but I think it’s a poor show when admins are seeing people spend their hard earned money and quite frankly getting nothing in return.

I like this forum but I feel your not being fair to the genuine users! 

 

 

Edited by newgen2005

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, newgen2005 said:

It seems to me like the admins on here are defending HKR, sorry but I think it’s a poor show when admins are seeing people spend their hard earned money and quite frankly getting nothing in return.

 

 

 

That statement is as insulting as it is moronic. But with that said, I agree this thread should be shut down. This thing is a veritable shitshow of epic proportions and its negative energy spreads to the entire forum, bringing the whole vibe down. Clearly this Jacob guy is in way over his head and absolute shit at communication, so give people what they paid for and call it a day. And then shut this thread down... it's stinking up the place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

That statement is as insulting as it is moronic.

And calling someone a moron isn't insulting? I think you should use your administrative rights constructively and remove the thread so nobody else gets caught!

How am I supposed to feel when my perfectly valid comments are being removed, and the advertising of a poor service still remains.

I have never had a bad word with anybody on this forum, always been respectful to the members.

All I have done is share my experience with others so they don't get stung like me and many others have.

Anyway I will just keep my feelings to myself as I don't want to get kicked off this forum. I been a member for a few years and have really enjoyed being part of the community.

Edited by newgen2005

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, newgen2005 said:

Well I think as admins you should remove this thread as the guy is clearly taking us all for a ride. How much longer can this go on for, taking people’s money and either not delivering the goods or sending stuff that doesn’t work!

He hasn’t replied to any of my messages through; PM on here, his email, and via PayPal.

It seems to me like the admins on here are defending HKR, sorry but I think it’s a poor show when admins are seeing people spend their hard earned money and quite frankly getting nothing in return.

I like this forum but I feel your not being fair to the genuine users! 

 

 

You are annoyed your posts were deleted and you want to be heard on this thread, but you are also asking for the entire thread to be removed. 😑

54 minutes ago, newgen2005 said:

And calling someone a moron isn't insulting? I think you should use your administrative rights constructively and remove the thread so nobody else gets caught!

How am I supposed to feel when my perfectly valid comments are being removed, and the advertising of a poor service still remains.

I have never had a bad word with anybody on this forum, always been respectful to the members.

All I have done is share my experience with others so they don't get stung like me and many others have.

Anyway I will just keep my feelings to myself as I don't want to get kicked off this forum. I been a member for a few years and have really enjoyed being part of the community.

To @newgen2005 and any other members that are thinking like the above states, let me make something perfectly clear... FOR THE LAST TIME... we are NOT defending @jrodefeld or in any way in support of him over forum members that are his customers. We're "not being fair"? Really? Do you think I want to deal with this nonsense? Do you think that @SMK and I are paying for the cost of keeping this forum on-line so that we can get the pleasure of dealing with THIS? If so, think again. We allowed this thread because it is allowed for ALL members to post in "The Wanted Section" thread, and the projects he has created are obviously of great interest to people on this forum. But everyone WAS WARNED REPEATEDLY that if they wanted to TAKE THE RISK OF PURCHASING from Hong Kong Rescue that they would likely deal with long shipping delays and poor, or complete lack of communication. What part wasn't understood? Those who chose to take the risk did so of their own accord after being fairly warned. YOU wanted what he had to offer so badly that you took the risk, and that is on YOU. I do NOT want any forum members to be taken advantage of, made to wait unreasonably for service, or be insulted by one another, but we are living in a far from perfect world. I wish that everyone that ordered from HKR got perfectly functional discs in the mail within a week of ordering. I really DO wish all you fellow forum members were being treated right. But, you weren't/aren't and there's nothing that anyone except YOU or Jacob can do at this point (see #6 below).

Now, a few important points...

1. @TibetanWhiteCrane is NOT an admin/moderator on the forum. He's just another forum member with an opinion.

2. No one that IS an admin or moderator on this forum is buddies/partners/in cahoots in any way with HKR or @jrodefeld. The only thing we receive for allowing these projects to be advertised on here is a giant ration of shit! I (and the others) get PMs and emails all the time asking about "How do I get in touch with Jacob?" and "What do you think is going on with my order?" etc. The answer is: I HAVE NO FREAKING IDEA! Several of "us" are customers of HKR too, and have also received the same exact, far from 4-star treatment as the rest of you.

3. The reason the thread wasn't closed was for YOU and others that have no other way of getting in contact with him to at least have a place to read his "updates" or "public announcements" of progress, etc (not to complain or, in some cases, whine on a daily basis). He has decided to not respond, and there's nothing we can do about that... except the following...

4. @jrodefeld was given warnings and many chances to stay communicative, but he has not done so, despite being told the previous chance to "make things right" was his last chance. We are just as disappointed about this as every one else. I would've thought he would've at least posted a link for a free DL to all the angry customers, but he didn't. Or at least if he continued to not get around to personally responding to queries, that he'd post a public announcement/update here once a day, but he didn't. Once this fiasco is over we will no longer allow this HKR thread to continue. It's a shame, I and many others enjoy the updates, being a part of the process via voicing our wants for the releases, and all that good shit, but we are completely over the drama.

5. I personally have ordered all of his releases, and as has already been stated here several times I did NOT think the turn-around time/shipping was good at all. For ME, I was able to be patient and wait. I shouldn't have had to (yes, we all know that), but I decided that getting the cool product was worth it... for ME. I ordered two copies of ARMOR OF GOD and a second copy of HARDBOILED for my son. I have NOT received them. I did NOT GET ANY NOTIFICATION THAT MY MONEY WAS RECEIVED, THAT THE DISCS WOULD BE SHIPPING SOON... NOTHING. But I did not expect to. As far as I know Jacob is NOT a thief, he's just an unreliable communicator that ships extremely slowly. He seems like a nice, talented guy with his heart in the right place, and no malicious intentions, that continuously gets in over his head with orders. And again, as far as I know, he does eventually takes care of delivering all orders placed, just not in any sort of reasonable time-frame. So if you order from him, it's best to just forget about it until you discs show up in the mail. If you ordered and got malfunctioning discs, my advice is to copy and paste your previous "where's my order?" email and send it again.

6. Everyone that has already ordered now has only two choices... if you are unhappy with the wait for your order then cancel it, request your money back, and that's the end of it. It's already clear that everyone wants this product (a working version) and to not have to wait or suffer through any more bad service. Guess what people? It's pretty clear that this IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. You are either A.) going to grin and bear it, and eventually get what you paid for, and want, whenever the hell he finally sends it, or B.) you are NOT going to get what you want and will contact Paypal for a refund. So as customers (myself included) we are going to either going to have to "eat shit" with the terrible service and wait who knows how long to get the Blu-rays we want, or request a refund. Crying here about how unfair it is will not make the reality of this situation change. You SHOULD get good, prompt service for the money you paid. You have not. Now decide... worth waiting for, or not. Simple. Does that suck? Yes. Is it the reality of the situation? Yes. But still... I can only hope that this is the worst thing any of you ever have to endure, when so many are out there suffering in life with serious illness, starving, or homeless. Getting shitty service waiting for a dream-come-true edition of an action movie you like is not the end of the world.

That's it. Jacob I'm very disappointed that you put me and @SMK, our moderators, and our forum members in this situation. Fix it.

P.S. I'm not interested in any further arguing or back and forth on this matter. All further complaints WILL BE DELETED. Those that ordered... see #6 above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×