Sign in to follow this  
DrNgor

The Yearly Hong Kong Film Awards - Best Action Design Nominations

While I think Chin Kar-Lok is long overdue for an award, I'd be surprised if Cold War 2 is the film he'll win it for. If there had been one more set piece up to the level of the tunnel, then yeah. I haven't seen monkey king 2 or Sword Master, so I can't comment on them. I'd guess that it'll be Sammo Hung for Call of Heroes, but my vote would be for Operation Mekong, which I think was the best action film of2016.

Chin Kar-Lok has been getting nominated almost yearly since 2003, when he picked up the nomination for Star Runner. But that said, none of the films I've seen from him have been as good as whatever won in a given year, although I have yet to see Cold War and Viral Factor, which both lost to CZ12.

On 2/8/2017 at 1:46 PM, D1 Ma said:

Operation Mekong' action looked forced and not really that exciting.

On 2/10/2017 at 6:37 AM, mark187 said:

my vote would be for Operation Mekong, which I think was the best action film of2016.

On 4/12/2017 at 11:52 AM, mark187 said:

To my pleasant surprise, Operation Mekong won!

Personally I would have gone with 'Sword Master'. but most likely 'Operation Mekong' won based on the pure amount of action in it, rather than the quality of what's on display, which I think wasn't particularly special.  I actually got through checking it out just recently, and give it the full review treatment, so if anyone's interested here's the link - http://cityonfire.com/operation-mekong-2016-review/

Okay, for this year we have:

Nicky Li Chung-Chi (The Brink)
Yuen Woo-Ping (The Thousand Faces of Dunjia) 
Ku Huen-Chiu (Wu Kong)
Yu Kan, Yuen Bun, Yan Hua (Chasing the Dragon)
Sammo Hung (Paradox)

41 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Okay, for this year we have:

Nicky Li Chung-Chi (The Brink)
Yuen Woo-Ping (The Thousand Faces of Dunjia) 
Ku Huen-Chiu (Wu Kong)
Yu Kan, Yuen Bun, Yan Hua (Chasing the Dragon)
Sammo Hung (Paradox)

You're always good to stay on top of these. Unfortunately, I have yet to see any of them. What little bit of the fight clips I've seen from Chasing the Dragon was not very impressive to me. My gut feeling is that it should go to Sammo or Nicky Li, but it'll probably go to some wuxia piece of crap.

Just now, ShaOW!linDude said:

You're always good to stay on top of these. Unfortunately, I have yet to see any of them. What little bit of the fight clips I've seen from Chasing the Dragon was not very impressive to me. My gut feeling is that it should go to Sammo or Nicky Li, but it'll probably go to some wuxia piece of crap.

Well, Wu Kong seems to have sparse action from what I can tell. Thousand Faces... is empty CGI-overkill, so I don't think it'll get it. I'm pretty sure Nicky Li or Sammo Hung will get it.

As little as Chasing the Dragon had as far as fight scenes go (it's not a martial arts action movie anyway), I was really impressed the the overall action (guns, explosions, melee weapons, visceral violence etc) so I wouldn't complain if it would win the award price for Best Action Design.

The action in Paradox was heavily fighting-based so I was hoping for more, and set-pieces specifically tailor-made for the fitting players. But Louis Koo got most of it, and I wasn't as impressed with it the same way I was with his acting performance.

Have yet to watch The Brink but seeing Nicky Li's name in anything makes me skeptical. Let's see how this one fares...

Edited by DiP

The choreography, coupled with the cinematography, in “The Brink” is marvelous, in my opinion.

I know I’ve been singing this film’s praises all over these boards but I honestly think it’s THAT good. It makes “Paradox” look laughable in comparison.

It does feature some questionable editing at times but somehow it works. I recommend everyone get their hands on this one. I’ll be ordering the Hong Kong Blu-Ray come payday.

Finally!

Yuen Shun-Yi (Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy)

Lin Feng (Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings)

Dante Lam (Operation Red Sea)

Nicky Li Chung Chi (Project Gutenberg)

Chin Kar Lok (The Golden Job)

Damn, I've only seen one of these. I've heard really mixed reviews of The Golden Job but the good ones have been super glowing. I may need to get my hands on it. I will l say that Operation Red Sea has stellar action sequences.

I've seen 3 out of 5 nominated films and to me looks like the best action design should go to The Golden Job, even though it's not that good to be honest. How on Earth Project Gutenberg got a nomination is beyond me

13 hours ago, D1 Ma said:

How on Earth Project Gutenberg got a nomination is beyond me

Nicky Li Chung-Chi has gotten a lot of questionable nominations over the years, like Connected and Divergence.