wackiechan

Shaw Brothers Film Festival Next Week at USC (All Screenings Free!)

I went to The Sword of Swords last night and it was really cool going. Unfortunately, not a whole lot of people showed up (about 20-30 people). The screening was also DigiTech instead of 35mm but it was still fun watching the movie. Compared to a New Beverly screening, it could've been better but it was free and at a college screening room so I can't complain. Still a great way to watch the movie. I won't be able to make it out to the other nights. Looking forward to the New Bev's January calendar. Hoping for some HK movies.

Well, I'll see you guys on Monday. :bigsmile: Thanks for posting, wackiechan! I wouldn't have found out about these screenings otherwise. Awesome stuff!

You're welcome, Ken.

I saw "Mercenaries From Hong Kong" last night(Wednesday). It's a good Shaw Bros movie. Ti Lung's acting, the fight scenes, the action scenes, car stunts, etc. were all very good.

Wong Yue(not Jimmy Wang Yu, but the actor from "Executioners From Shaolin") seemed to steal the movie.

There are 2 surprises in "Mercenaries FHK"(Don't worry, I'll try not to include any SPOILERS). One of the surprises is from Wong Yue near the end. The other surprise, and an exciting one, is also near the end which was similar to the ending of a "particular" Dirty Harry movie.

I had a great time watching this HK Shaw movie. Thank you, Alessandro, for showing these free screenings. Alessandro, by the way, said that there will be more USC screenings of Shaw movies in the early Spring semester. Possibly 4 or 7 Shaw movies in the Ray Stark Theatre next time. I told Alessandro that I'll try to e-mail him some Shaw movie suggestions. There could be a chance of the Shaw's "Cinema HK" docu series being screened.

I have a question for Ken or any other Shaw Bros fan here. Do you know if Tanny Tien Ni showed nudity in "Hex", and if so, did it turn out to look like a body double in the scenes(if Tanny never actually showed nudity in any movie)?

Sorry about the long reply.

I have a question for Ken or any other Shaw Bros fan here. Do you know if Tanny Tien Ni showed nudity in "Hex", and if so, did it turn out to look like a body double in the scenes(if Tanny never actually showed nudity in any movie)?

Tanny's character is never nude in that movie, she's either bed-ridden with illness or a sickly looking ghost. The only nudity is at the end from a random character who is part of a spell they are casting to rid the mansion of Tanny's ghost. It's pretty spectacular though. :smile:

I saw "Mercenaries From Hong Kong" last night(Wednesday). It's a good Shaw Bros movie. Ti Lung's acting, the fight scenes, the action scenes, car stunts, etc. were all very good.

I had a great time watching this HK Shaw movie. Thank you, Alessandro, for showing these free screenings. Alessandro, by the way, said that there will be more USC screenings of Shaw movies in the early Spring semester. Possibly 4 or 7 Shaw movies in the Ray Stark Theatre next time. I told Alessandro that I'll try to e-mail him some Shaw movie suggestions. There could be a chance of the Shaw's "Cinema HK" docu series being screened.

Sorry about the long reply.

No worries, I've made longer posts. I don't mind long posts unless they don't interest me. Luckily for you, the chance for me to see Shaw Bros movies on the big screen interests me and a lot of other people.

If I wasn't busy Wednesday night, I totally would've gone to Mercenaries instead of Sword of Swords. Sword of Swords is still a great movie, but I haven't seen Mercenaries before. It looks like a lot of fun to watch.

I haven't seen Hex either so I can't help you with your inquiry. Hopefully, as Shaolin Patriot said, we can kick off 2015 with HK movies at the New Beverly. Always a lot of fun going there.