DiP

Donnie Yen's worst films

Every MA actor gets his/her bad moments in their respective careers, and it's not very often we get to list bad films from Hong Kong's current heavy-weight champion. It would be nice to see what you guys have in mind.

The Holy Virgin vs the Evil Dead

Crystal Hunt

Heroes Among Heroes

Circus Kids

The Saint of Gamblers

Iron Monkey 2

Shanghai Affairs

City of Darkness

Highlander: Endgame

The Twins Effect 2

Iceman

Most of his movies I do not care for. Have not seen them all but have seen a good majority. But, the worst piece of drab that I have ever seen was Iron Monkey 2. Just absolute junk.

Personally I don't think Circus Kids, Crystal Hunt, or Shanghai Affairs belong on his "worst films" list.

They may have good action but as mere films I would say they're pretty bad, especially the first two films.

I would not class Twin Effects 2 and Highlander: Endgame as Donnie Yen films but he only has a cameo role in those movies. Although I quite like his fight scene in Highlander: Endgame.

I think Donnie Yen is a unique case were, when he makes a good movie, it's usually so good that it instantly erases the memory of a bunch of his crap movies.

Has he done a lot of crap? Definitely, and he continues to churn out a fair few clunkers. But I think there's no doubt that when Donnie hits the mark, even if it's only once every few years, he hits it 110%.

Yen has made so many bad movies, which is kind of sad given his talent. I know he's just about the biggest thing in Hong Kong these days. But for my money as good as the newer movies production values etc are, I don't feel he has that many true classics or even very good movies.

Action is one thing while everything else in movies is another. Restricted to just action it's safe to say that Yen has displayed his talent greatly in many films, regardless if good or bad. That's a normal feat for action actors though which this thread isn't about.

80% of his work :tinysmile_angry2_t:

I concur

although a fair amount of the crap does have at least one great fight to watch

which leads me to adding Mismatched Couples to the list, no one could make me suffer through that film again

& to stir the pot I'll also chuck in the monkey king with Donnies excruciating overacting only overshadowed by its hacked up story & amazingly overpriced CGI

I can't imagine any other way Donnie could've pulled off his performance as Sun Wukong. It's a monkey-like character so it makes sense for the role to be overly acted out and is very different from the likes of Stephen Chow and Jet Li. That's the beauty of method acting.

I wached 41 donnie yen movies and only a few i didn't like or were average

The Monkey King = many poitns i didn't like, see the monkey king theard. will not stay in my collection

An Empress and the Warriors - was bad and borning. sold the dvd.

Hero - not a movie i like, not my taste. sold the director's cut version.

blade 2 - good film, but bad role for him.

Iron Monkey 2 - very cheap compared to part one.