Sign in to follow this  
jalvarez82

Doing a research paper on Lau Kar Leung. Need Help.

Hey guys. I'm a full-time student and one of the classes I'm taking this quarter is "Research Methods". For the final project we have to write a research paper, and I've decided to do a biography-type paper on the one and only Lau Kar Leung. I wanted to not only choose a topic Iam very interested in, but to also bring the actor/director into the light by honoring his life and his work, and to acknowledge his impact on the martial arts/action film genre.

Can anyone direct me to some credible online sources (other than this site) where I can gather information on Lau sifu and his life? I know he kept a pretty private life outside of the film industry, so anything would be of great help.

Thanks!

I found this-

http://flkcinema.com/mark%20tribute%20page.php

There are several interviews with Mark Houghton, one of his best students.

Lau helped the Wu Shu players (Jet Li, etc) get their start in the movie Shaolin Temple. Try to find that interview, it has some pretty honest and straightforward answers on a variety of subjects. I think it was in Martial Arts in the Movies from IKF magazine.

Yup. I own the Heroes of the East DVD with Bey Logan's commentary and bonus feature special. Good stuff. I didn't know he had a book out, though. I'll check it out. Thanks.

I might be searching for more video interviews on Pops.

In 1985, The Cahier du Cinema conducted an extended interview with Master Lau covering pretty much his life and career so far. I translated this interview myself years ago and it can be seen at this following adress; .

[email=http://changcheh.0catch.com/lau-int.htm]http://changcheh.0catch.com/lau-int.htm

Best of luck with your paper.

If you're looking for criticism of the guy's work, Roger Garcia's "The Autarkic World of Liu Chia-Liang" from A Study of Hong Kong Martial-Arts Film is still one of the best thing's I've read about his films.

It's incomplete (only covering his films up to 1979), and there's some 70s psychoanalytical babble, but it really gets to the core of Lau's focus on family, tradition and history, and points the way towards how to look at the rest of his films.

If you want to do an article request through your library (perhaps your best bet considering how rare the book is), I can dig up the bibliographical details.

Maybe a bit late for me to post but Red Trousers has a good interview with him and there's more in the bonus features. It's a documentary about stuntsmen.