I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

TibetanWhiteCrane

What's with the slump?

I've been checking this forum almost everyday for years and I've never witnessed any of this drama with my own eyes or found any forum member offensive. I liked listening to Mark's and even DragonSword's opinions. :tongue: But as for the slump, in my opinion the site started noticeably slowing down after Mark Pollard stopped being active. I truly miss his insight and reviews......not that AlbertV isn't doing a good job of course.

The Silver Fox ' KFC Crisis Rap'

It was Jan '14 when Markgway was banished

All over a photo that seemed to have vanished

Murmurs from the crowd trippin' bout the story

- a profanity laced tirade upset the hunky dory

Long time members jumpin' ship like rats

Goin' to Bullets'n' Babes, raisin' the stats

HAZ gone missin' after fleecing the bro-thers

Gone undercover, hidin' at his Mo-ther's

The word on the street is that KFC is goin down'

But we're gonna save it-I'm gonna show you how

Every one of you send me a fi-ver

just like that time with Massacre Sur-vi-vor!

Peace out

Great stuff there brother. :bigsmile:

Markgway is an honest and decent guy. Not only that but he contributed the most to this forum imo. From discussions to topics to trading.

What's done is done but I will say this. The heavy handed deleting happened (around Christmas) on different topics by different people the same time moderator HAZ went awol. We may find in the near future that it was a little misunderstanding caused by someone with low standards who started this mess and NOT by our beloved moderators or devoted members at all!

In any case, there is no 'slump' now. :tongue: Aside from drama which everyone will always have something to say, what was martial arts films from 2013 are coming out on DVD these next couple of months. Followed by the Korean thrillers and then the genre kicks off at the end of March with The Raid 2. So I expect the discussions to be picking up again.

If HAZ doesn't talk to his customers, what is the board prepared to do about it?

This question has already been resolved via PM....the answer is - nothing.

I read something else that I think is important to mention here. Several members, whom I personally admire and feel are Important Contributors here, expressed that they often take the time to write substantial posts only to have no one respond to them. They were disheartened by this, and one of them said, only half kidding, that they'd almost rather receive a negative comment to what they wrote than to have no response whatsoever. Though I'm certainly nowhere near as prolific a contributor as these guys, I've had the same feelings at times over lack of responses to things I've written. I wrote something thinking that members would want to know, but no one responded. I wondered "Did anyone read that? Was it boring? Perhaps my writing is just too lame?" But I am absolutely guilty of doing the same thing myself. How many times have I read something by Takuma, MasterOfOneInchPunch, One Armed Boxer, or any of the many other members that I found very interesting, informative, well-written, etc, yet I never posted a response, comment, or added to the thread where they'd written it? Many, many times. The typical reason for this is that I often pop onto the forum for a quick look when I only have a few minutes to spare. So I read something great, then plan on responding the next time I visit the forum, when I'll have time to respond/add to/comment on their post in a proper manner. But inevitably, when I next visit, my eye is caught by the latest post.

Gotta hold my hand up & say that I'm one of those guys who spends a stupid amount of time writing an in-depth post, only to become frustrated and disheartened at the lack of response to it. Still, despite all this, I still find myself inevitably writing the odd feature length worthy article here and there on the forum, simply because I enjoy it. So that's why it disheartens me even more to see fellow members who also put a lot of time and effort into their posts informing me that they're jumping ship.

Just saw THE WHITE STORM, and hopefully will have time to comment on it soon in it's own thread.

KFB, hurry up and please do! I feel like I'm the only one here who considers it a complete pile of garbage!:tongue:

Do you think that an exception should have been made for Mark because of his value as a member?

Honestly....yes. For someone who had that much knowledge on different cuts of movies and what was the best available version of whatever movie it was out there, I know you won't agree, but I honestly think the cost has outweighed the benefit here.

I disagree with the ethnic forgiveness bit. I know you're kind of kidding, but I have to call bullshit on that. Despite my Irish temper, and the fact that I've often wanted to "explain" something to some in-my-face idiot by simply decking them, I didn't. I just didn't. Plenty of my fellow Irish descendants didn't have the same self control over the years, and like anyone else, they payed for it with a night in a cell or a day in court. I have no sympathy for them either. I don't care which country a person is from, if they aren't an infant they should have some self control.

I agree with you, however at the same time I'm also aware that you've had more insight into the events that unfolded from both sides of the fence than probably most of us have had here. Comparing what Markgway did to physical acts of violence based on the information that I've been exposed to isn't really reasonable, & no I'm not defending him on the grounds of his ethnicity. However as a born & bred Scouser who's had exposure to living in several different cultures, and been told I have a foul mouth on more than one occasion, I've been given more of a chance to adjust than perhaps other people who have never left their native environment. That's not in any way meant to sound condescending, my simple point is that the level of abuse one person may see as not particularly over the top, may be interpreted by someone from another country, regardless of sharing the same language, as completely unacceptable.

The last 6 pages of this thread are, in fact, strictly against forum policies. This is the first time the posts have not been deleted. Earlier each member who even posted a comment like "what happened to Mark?" had his post immediately deleted and was told by the moderator to keep silent about it.

People disappeared with no traces left, and asking questions was strictly forbidden.

In my opinion, even more so than the banning itself, it was these actions that caused certain long standing members to jump ship. We are all adults, and even I had whole posts deleted that were completely relevant to the topic at hand, however because I mentioned the ban at some point, the whole content I'd put time and thought into was deleted. I felt enraged, and considering I classify myself as someone who's not easy to anger, I can only imagine what other members must have felt that experienced the same thing.

It was Jan '14 when Markgway was banished

All over a photo that seemed to have vanished

Murmurs from the crowd trippin' bout the story

- a profanity laced tirade upset the hunky dory

Long time members jumpin' ship like rats

Goin' to Bullets'n' Babes, raisin' the stats

HAZ gone missin' after fleecing the bro-thers

Gone undercover, hidin' at his Mo-ther's

The word on the street is that KFC is goin down'

But we're gonna save it-I'm gonna show you how

Every one of you send me a fi-ver

just like that time with Massacre Sur-vi-vor!

Probably the most laugh out loud funny best thing to come out of this whole thread!:wink:

Concerning the lengthy post/no reply thing, I must say I often enjoy reading the material but feel kinda stupid posting just "great read" or some random comment after a great post. Guess I should, so people know I liked what they posted.

While I can't say I'm a fan of rap, I want to thank Godfrey Ho worshipper for his little rhyme. It added some levity to a thread that needed it badly. Thanks for that.

Despite the rule of no discussions on forum moderation and/or bans, I let this thread continue so people may voice their opinion on the subject. The reason this rule is in place is because such debates detract from the main reason this forum exists - to talk about the fu. Plenty of places online to go if cyberdrama is your cup of tea. If you have a question about moderation (be it a member, a post, whatever) the best place to get an answer is to PM a mod. I'm closing this thread now as all can be said has been said and its time to get back to the business at hand and talk about movies.

Forum moderation (in most every forum I've ever been to) is a private matter between the mods and whatever member(s) involved. But why Teako why? Well, put it this way. In the real world, if a supervisor has words with someone in their organization, do they get on the intercom system afterwards and announce all the juicy details to the rest of the organization? No, they don't. It’s a private matter between two parties. If the rest of the organization wants gossip, there's always a Kardashian story running on Yahoo.

Even though some have objected or been offended by the recent handling of said events, I have no animosity. I bear no grudges. I move on. I'm sure a few will jump on the bandwagon and decry the closing of this thread. Um, ok by me. What's the old saying, “Sticks and stones...?” All I can ask is to please do it elsewhere or via private means. The forum-at-large is a place for the discussion of the genre that we are all bound by.

I can't discuss the matter of HAZ and the movies. Please note "can't" and "won't" are two different animals. I can't discuss it because I don't know anymore than anyone else. I sent Howard an email to address the situation. I don't have any magical way to contact him or get him to respond. I can promise you that I will speak with the other mods about how such projects will be handled in the future so we can avoid another situation like this.

And to get back to the original topic of ... the slump. Like the market, there are highs and lows. If there isn't any good new threads to respond to, feel free to bump an older one or start a new one. And if you don't get any response, it’s okay. I've created some new topics without any responses. It happens, sure. That shouldn't deter you from trying again. It’s up to each member to determine the activity of this place. If it’s slow and you're sitting on the sidelines, don't feel you have to wait for someone else to post. Jump right in yourself and post away.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's contributions and support of the forum. Yes, even those who don't agree with my recent actions. Like I said, I bear no grudges. Thank you.

Best, T