I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

TibetanWhiteCrane

What's with the slump?

I'm still on the forums daily, even if my posting isn't. I think a lot of the frequency of posts has much to do with fans leaning towards a certain period of the genre. Like TWC, I also enjoy everything from the 60's Shaw Brothers wuxias, the 70's bashers, the 80's kickboxing movies, the 90's new wave, and into the new millennium. But I know a lot of people on here have a preference for a certain period, and to a degree don't have any particular interest in wandering outside of that area, so as a result there's less to post about, especially now for fans of classic kung-fu movies for example, when releases must surely be at an all time low.

Hard to believe I've been on this forum since 2003-2004, the last 8 months my business really took off so I've barely been on here, and like Nick/Peri I've been pretty burned out on the internet as a whole, been trying to shut off the computer and get outdoors a little more, trying to live a healthier lifestyle and exercising, and as an avid scuba diver and having an ocean across the street, I try to get out there as much as possible.

I've also been way more into old Japanese movies lately with a trip coming up to Japan at the end of the year, the Japanese section has been especially dead here with the resurrection of the Ninja Dojo on facebook.

I did watch Bastard Swordsman the other week, it's great to be able to come here and see the same people on here I've held conversations with for years now, even if I only get time to lurk, and who else is going to know what the hell I'm talking about when I say Norman Chu makes a better villain!

I like to also add that it was great to meet up with some of the forum members, I urge any of the forum members that live close by to meet up for a drink, coffee, or possibly a viewing, nothing better than talking in person with people that have a passion for the same interests in film and whatever else. Meeting CKT we had some epic conversations about Kung Fu and film in general. The internet is great but there's still nothing better than talking fu over a couple beers :bigsmile:

Yep, my use of my TV is down to just before my bed time, lol. I generally find time to watch Justified. My oldest loves Pocoyo, and Jake the pirate, those are what is normally on during there TV time.

Nice to see a fellow no maamer here!:wink:

The lack of good dvd releases has been a factor in my having less to say, plus I'm more into horror and science fiction overall.

I miss the period between '01 and '05 when kung fu was this exciting and exotic discovery for me, and I was in heaven with cheese like Bruce Lee Fights Back From The Grave and Magnificent Bodyguards. I think all those dull Shaw films did me in a bit.

The main legacy now of my kung fu fandom is my growing Tangerine Dream collection!

There are not any interesting releases, true. The Shaw stuff gets released & released all of the time, the same movies over and over... I wish the was a Crash or Fusian still kicking around. They put out some rare stuff, and there was a grindhouse, vintage feel that I really liked. I moved over to prints because of a lack of movies to watch, but I have been finding cool stuff in China recently that has peaked my interest.

Is it just me, or is the forum less active than usual? Seems alot of the older, regular posters aren't as regular anymore, and there's just a general drought in postings.

Maybe it's because I have more time, now that i've gone back to school, and check the forum more frequently, but it still feels a little dead around here recently.... not FLK dead:tongue: but still....

I think about you all and this site a lot. My children are getting older, I'm getting older, and right now, I'm a Game of Thrones fanatic! My priorities have changed. That said, I was able to squeeze in The Bastard Swordsman a few Saturdays ago and Life Gamble the week before.

According to my stats, I last checked in on 1 December 2012! :eek: I'm still here!

I haven't been here much lately. Between running all my Fantasy Football Leagues and starting my own Wrestling Forum website. I've been spread a bit thin. In fact haven't even seen an Asian film since July. But I'm still very happy to have found this forum.

Does anyone think that the genre has lost steam, and therefore people are not as interested anymore? There are hardly any modern films I want to check out, and blu-ray has not been quick to embrace kung fu, and it's almost all been upscales when it has...

Does anyone think that the genre has lost steam, and therefore people are not as interested anymore? There are hardly any modern films I want to check out, and blu-ray has not been quick to embrace kung fu, and it's almost all been upscales when it has...

I'm sure that's a big factor that there aren't many releases per year and of those there's not really that much for those more interested in action and martial arts. Hong Kong's production values are nice these days but they just aren't the thrill ride, mostly mediocre drama with sometimes good but not great action and not enough of it, often too much wire work. to be fair unless you really look in any depth, searching online and especially places like this forum, pickings are even slimmer. I've seen the limited selections available in places like Best Buy, Target and Barnes and Noble. Mostly filled with the most recent Hollywood fare along with a small selection of Jackie Chan,jet Li, Donnie Yen and crappy cheap and nasty multipacks. There's hardly a genre to embrace and from my observations it's not much better here in the UK.

I just wish there was stuff coming out worth being excited about - There's nothing really on the Shaw front - no HK releases or anything. I would be excited for blu, but, except for the Japan discs, there's nothing much there. Same thing for G.H.

Yeah, this a retroactive hobby, if you can call it that. All the stuff that im into, happened 30-40 years ago, and there is preciously little new stuff coming out, to keep any kind of momentum going. Even though I have been into HK films since the mid 80's, I never had anyone to talk to it about, really. Would have loved to be a part of the UK scene in the 80's and 90's when it was going strong, or the 42nd street scene in New York back in the day.

I still don't have anyone to share this fandom with, aside from you guys, and that pretty much goes for anything im interested in. Old movies, old music, retro gaming, classic tv shows, martial arts etc. No one that I know, really cares about that. I think for many fans of the genre, it is the same, and it is harder to keep those fandom fires burning, if you can't share it with someone in real life. Those of you who have someone to share it with, should treasure it.

I remember when I started in 2000/2001, Jackie Chan was a mainstream phenomenon. He still had serious creditability.

I certainly don't think titles going out of print helps one little bit. I'm sure no end of potential Jackie Chan/martial arts/kung fu fans never got a chance to really explore when even those more popular titles were unavailable when their interest was piqued by some of Jackie Hollywood movies

The naughts were definitely the most favorable time for HK movie fans, as far as home releases are concerned... HKL, Celestial Shaws, DD, FSLC etc. don't think we'll ever see that that kind of supply again, however big or small the demand may be.

Everything going out of print was sad. If you are near a chinatown, you can still get the out of print stuff for cheap in some cities. I got many original Celestials for 2-3 bucks in Toronto, but its getting harder. With everything out of print, there's fewer things to get excited about, and no blu-rays to take the place of the DVD's. Right now, I hunt around for the odd laser disc and also for Chinese DVD's, and those have limited appeal.

About the forums & the site specifically, I find we're missing Mark. There used to be so many reviews, in such detail on the main site, and we don't have that as much any more. Those reviews & articles sparked off a lot of discussion. Mark wrote so many of those back in the day. Maybe he got burnt out? I don't know.