I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

TibetanWhiteCrane

What's with the slump?

I’ve also noticed a lessening of activity here and in particular a lack of more profound (i.e. well thought out and therefore time-consuming) input by members in general. And of course, Drunken Monk, inspired threads stimulate the kind of interesting and informed responses that we’re all looking for on this platform.

I mean, everything has its place on KFC and no disrespect to anyone, but if the major activity that can be registered when you open the site seems to consists out of running down names of recently bought movies, questions about aspect ratio details/‘real’ mono or ‘downmix’/ ‘interlaced or progressive’ etc, then things do get a lil’ stale round here...

Then again, like the Administrator pointed out, KFC always had its ups & downs and let’s not forget that most Asian film forums have been far more yawn-inducing and seem to be kept alve by the same ol’ three-and-a-half contributors posting one-liners. Check places like ‘bullets & babes’ for proof. Quite a few went off the radar in the last couple of years as well and new ones didn’t jump in to fill their spaces. I think all this shows a strong correlation with the diminishing commercial viability and the gradual wane of interest in Asian action and MA cinema in the West.

Oh, compared to other similar forums this place is thriving like a koala in a eucalyptus patch, no doubt about it.

By you see what I did? By adressing the percieved slump, a lot of longtime but recently absent posters came out of the woodworks to chime in:xd:

If you build it, they will come.... ok, maybe that saying doesn't apply here, but still:tongue:

I agree with most of the points made here. And in all seriousness, I love this place, for better or worse. I think my worry was perhaps just born out of the fear that this place was heading in the direction of the DoDo, like all those other sites.

I have preciously few people that I can talk movies with on an intelligent level in my daily life, so losing this place would be like losing a limb. Plus, it gives me a chance to practice my english skills.

I'll ask again. To the admins.

Why not make this a login forum only.

1. There are 277 guests on this forum at the moment. Seems to be the same number whenever I'm on.

2. These posts show up on google searches

Get your membership and user activity up. This is a treasure trove of KungFuCinema just "free" out there for the masses. Heck, I'm sure people have written articles and books from the information posted here.

Unless you've had this discussion or a specific reason NOT to make it a log in forum?

I think the lack of DVD releases has an effect, definitely. Plus I think that when people get into these movies, they realize there's a whole world out there to discover, so they join forums like this to absorb as much information as they can. Once they get deep into it, there's less and less to discover, although as we all know, there's always something new to discover, but still...

twocents.gif

Why not make this a login forum only.

Unless you've had this discussion or a specific reason NOT to make it a log in forum?

Was discussed some years back. Mark decided against it. Not everyone wants to have to log in just to check on the latest posts plus many members were originally lurkers.

I'm burnt on the internet, tired of looking at screens so much. Been getting simpler & also funny enough avoiding much to concentrate on life general, work, personal relationships & training. Enthusiasm for the movies & especially the kung is on an all-time high for me though; just can't get enough; like huge consumption... Been channeling all my efforts into training & helping my Sifu make some films as well...

Just completed this one amongst others, my job was location, music & helping edit:

8_daD9qgQ-s

Never ever enjoyed this forum as much as when I was in Hong Kong though; like an unstoppable friend to me in my time out there; appreciate all you guys; that's why I want to get books & stuff out; just practical logistics & time management & stuff for me I'm not good at - would love to meet you guys in person instead & share, I'm just tired of the internet as a forum, not this forum itself; immediate first person has been priority of late.

For the past few weeks I have been very busy but I do pop in to read some of the post, usually during my free time at work.

With a 17 month old kid at home, work schedule and the likes, I haven't had much time to do a lot of the things that I "normally" do.

We even had to postpone one trip to Asia to next year as we had to much to do.

I was invited to an advance movie screenings of "Captain Phillips" & "The-Blacklist" last week but I couldn't make it.

I have a bunch of recent purchases (mostly Blu-rays) - World War Z, Star Wars Into Darkness, The Grandmaster, Iron Man 3, Redemption, I Spit on Your Grave 2, Journey To The West, Cold War, Nightfall, Fists Of Legend (Korean movie), Running Man, New World, Shield Of Straw, Silmido, GLove, 26 years, imperfect, Badges of Fury and a few others - that are just sitting there still in their original packaging & I have no idea when I will get a chance to watch them...... and I still keep on buying. Though I say some of them in the theater.

With the holiday season coming and the wife will be doing a minor surgery in November (which means that I will have to take care of jr for a while), every little bit of time I get for myself will be precious.

Just to be clear... im not berating anyone for having an actual life outside of KFC:smile:

No need for apologies. I was just making an observation.

Though I do miss the sunny disposition of Kung Fu Bob and the grouchy Scottish temper of Markgway.... where are you guys? You're like the Yin and Yang of this forum:wink: WE MUST HAVE BALANCE IN THE FORCE....

I'm still here for you, TWC. :nerd:

bruce_come_at_me.gif

:bigsmile:

There has been a dip in activity but i think the forum is still in good shape compared to other related forums. The Stunt People forum used to be really active with a lot of really interesting discussion but its pretty much died down to a couple of posts a week. The main issue is that the longer the forum lasts for the more you are going to rehash the same discussions, there are only a certain number of 'best fight scene ever' threads you can have. The other problems is that with kung films there are only a certain number of them out there until you start getting into the obscure rdenn type stuff. The current HK output is kinda lacking these days as well, you only really get a few real quality kung films a year these days. All things considered i think the forum is doing pretty well.

Well, some people put more work into those than others:wink:

I actually wrote a book in Portuguese about the best fights ever filmed (at least in Chinese/HK/Taiwanese films), but I didn't publish because the interested publisher wanted me to reimburse him for all of the printing costs.

At the same time this site should be more accomodating. Alot of us newbies come here with really just a few title names from a genre that IMO holds more crap than gems. Alot of you guys have disected every inch of kungfu, understand the language, the culture, whos who etc.. Instead of helping us out, you stick to topics the AVERAGE kungfu guy wont care about..yet. Im not bashing you know it alls, I just feel neglected sometimes:squigglemouth:

At the same time this site should be more accomodating. Alot of us newbies come here with really just a few title names from a genre that IMO holds more crap than gems. Alot of you guys have disected every inch of kungfu, understand the language, the culture, whos who etc.. Instead of helping us out, you stick to topics the AVERAGE kungfu guy wont care about..yet. Im not bashing you know it alls, I just feel neglected sometimes:squigglemouth:

I have a question that will test you if you're an average kung fu guy or not.

Did you like Bangkok Revenge?

I actually wrote a book in Portuguese about the best fights ever filmed (at least in Chinese/HK/Taiwanese films), but I didn't publish because the interested publisher wanted me to reimburse him for all of the printing costs.

That's a damn shame. Hopefully you'll get it out there.

That's a damn shame. Hopefully you'll get it out there.

I'm re-editing it so it'll be a bit more compact, after which I'll probably just self-publish it. I'm curious as to what genre fans would think of my choices.

Im not really sure what you mean.....

I think that forum members here are very good at answering questions of newcommers. But obviously the more knowledgable and jaded members, like others mentioned, have already had every discussion imaginable about this genre, so they are less likely to retread the same topics again and again. That's understandable.

It's also about absorbing the knowledge and info that's already there. Like doing a forum search if you have a questions, instead of starting a new thread with something that has most likely been covered 20 imes over.

That's not directed at you, but I know alot of newbs who just come on here, and expect to be handed everything without doing the bare minimum of "detective" work themselves.

Nothing wrong with being inquisitive, and I think there should always be room for newbies and their questions, but some don't see all the info right under their nose.

... It's also about absorbing the knowledge and info that's already there. Like doing a forum search if you have a questions, instead of starting a new thread with something that has most likely been covered 20 imes over....

Whenever I think about doing a research on a MA film (or topic) I do a site wide search here. So much information from a wide variety of knowledgeable sources. I know many would not mind (and probably prefer) if an old thread would be brought back with more discussion.

The MA genre being so large can have to diehard fans see so many different films and might not even see one of the same films :).

I actually think there are tons of gems out there and not just the ones talked about constantly. Sure there is some dross (typical of any genre or sub-genre), but I've been well rewarded with sublime entertainment (and occasionally art). I watch all films and have been studying film in general for years and no matter how many Godard, Ozu, Ford, Herzog etc... there is always room for Kung Fu or Wuxia.

It was thanks to this wonderful place that I found out where the theme music from Secret Rivals and 7 Steps of Kung Fu came from. Kung fu knowledge FTW!

@ masterofoneinchpunch

Yeah, and just to clarify, there's nothing wrong with ressurecting old threads, if you have something to add. This is a discussion forum after all, not a refrence site. Actually, this site is what you make it, I think. That's what I love about it.

Fatcat... No one should ever be made to feel neglected... Sometimes during discussions, passions run deep. If you're seeking assistance, knowledge, or products, feel free to shoot PM's... That way you may get a concern addressed in a more expedient manner. My PM box, as well as many others I'm certain, are open to this.

:bigsmile: