I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

mark187

RIP Jim Kelly (1946-2013)

His mother is half Filipino, but ok, if that gives him the cred to do the Charlie Chan buckteeth schtick, then I stand corrected.

Regarding Kelly and the guys, im not trying to paint them as poor helpless victims. I know they still found work, and made it happen for themselves in one way or another. Especially Williamson, working in Italy, asia and so on. I just always felt that the Hollywood system was to quick to discard most of these awesome dudes as viable action leads.

His mother is half Filipino, but ok, if that gives him the cred to do the Charlie Chan buckteeth schtick, then I stand corrected.

Regarding Kelly and the guys, im not trying to paint them as poor helpless victims. I know they still found work, and made it happen for themselves in one way or another. Especially Williamson, working in Italy, asia and so on. I just always felt that the Hollywood system was to quick to discard most of these awesome dudes as viable action leads.

well I guess it would not be anymore credible than to say that only certain people can say certain words regarding a certain race than another group. Or even just poke fun for that matter. For Schneider, the guy does do an array of impersonations of other cultures, and Asian is one he always said he was familiar with because of his family, and because he thinks making fun of a stereotype is just as funny. Whether or not that gives him carte blanche to go to town on Asians is up to whomever. I just laugh and think of the consequences later.

Hollywood is a fickle bitch. It changes it's mind at the drop of a dime, but at the same time, will still squeeze that dime until the last drop is gone. The guys knew it, and knew the ins and outs (some more than others). Kelly no doubt could have made it if he persisted, but he had other things going for him. This is just what I gather from other people that have known him. It does suck however, that we could have had some great films to enjoy if Hollywood was not so concerned with the "on the spot" trends. If someone took a chance, and utilized Kelly and others, we might be able to celebrate some of these stars on the same level to that of Bruce.

RIP Jim

Michael Jai White:

My world stopped this morning when I learned of the passing of Jim Kelly. He was a pioneer, our first black representation of what a black martial artist is to this world. His look, swagger, martial arts prowess has been an inspiration myself as well as countless others. In Black Dynamite I copied his monochromatic fashion since, his afro, as well has his patented kiai (yell) SUUUEEYY! I am inspired to continue honoring him as I forge forward in this industry. I've met the man upon occasion and have empathized with his wounds that were afflicted by Hollywood. We first met at Good Earth Restaurant in "97" when I went over to his table an introduced myself as Mike. He didn't know who I was but he shared his views on the industry and was deeply troubled with how blacks were being treated in Hollywood. In the 70's Black Alpha Males were embraced in movies as logical leads and representations of who we were and currently our media blueprint was that of a buffoonish nature. I used his point to argue my case that he make a comeback. "You are an Icon and if we'd work together the people would support." Mr Kelly felt there was no hope in Hollywood and ironically stated "You'll never see a Black Superhero." It was one of those moments where respect collided with an argument victory...I'mean the Universe just tossed me an underhand softball. Should I tell him that he happens to be talking with "that very black man" who has already played a Superhero? I elected not to tell him because it would've been a small point in contrast to his argument that I know, has been fueled with first hand and tragic accounts. Sometimes folks don't need to hear they are wrong. It can shatter their psyche in contrast to what gives them balance to cope with their situation. I told him that things were getting better and that NewLine had made two movies with black male leads who were martial artists. We exchanged information and I'd contact him from time to time. I was Mike, the guy from Good Earth and I worried he might feel betrayed when he learned of how much more our paths were similar and that I was, in many ways, seen as "The New Him." I tried to get him to do cameos in films but the "Hollywounds" were too deep. For now I will train just a little bit harder and focus a little deeper. I, as well as my generation was inspired by Jim Kelly and I have to accept that I may inspire the next. I am saddened that this hero was defeated, by himself or the system and I resolve not to do the same. I accept this baton on behalf of you Master Kelly and Mike from Good Earth's gonna fight on with the swagger and pride he borrows from you!

RIP Jim

Michael Jai White:

My world stopped this morning when I learned of the passing of Jim Kelly. He was a pioneer, our first black representation of what a black martial artist is to this world. His look, swagger, martial arts prowess has been an inspiration myself as well as countless others. In Black Dynamite I copied his monochromatic fashion since, his afro, as well has his patented kiai (yell) SUUUEEYY! I am inspired to continue honoring him as I forge forward in this industry. I've met the man upon occasion and have empathized with his wounds that were afflicted by Hollywood. We first met at Good Earth Restaurant in "97" when I went over to his table an introduced myself as Mike. He didn't know who I was but he shared his views on the industry and was deeply troubled with how blacks were being treated in Hollywood. In the 70's Black Alpha Males were embraced in movies as logical leads and representations of who we were and currently our media blueprint was that of a buffoonish nature. I used his point to argue my case that he make a comeback. "You are an Icon and if we'd work together the people would support." Mr Kelly felt there was no hope in Hollywood and ironically stated "You'll never see a Black Superhero." It was one of those moments where respect collided with an argument victory...I'mean the Universe just tossed me an underhand softball. Should I tell him that he happens to be talking with "that very black man" who has already played a Superhero? I elected not to tell him because it would've been a small point in contrast to his argument that I know, has been fueled with first hand and tragic accounts. Sometimes folks don't need to hear they are wrong. It can shatter their psyche in contrast to what gives them balance to cope with their situation. I told him that things were getting better and that NewLine had made two movies with black male leads who were martial artists. We exchanged information and I'd contact him from time to time. I was Mike, the guy from Good Earth and I worried he might feel betrayed when he learned of how much more our paths were similar and that I was, in many ways, seen as "The New Him." I tried to get him to do cameos in films but the "Hollywounds" were too deep. For now I will train just a little bit harder and focus a little deeper. I, as well as my generation was inspired by Jim Kelly and I have to accept that I may inspire the next. I am saddened that this hero was defeated, by himself or the system and I resolve not to do the same. I accept this baton on behalf of you Master Kelly and Mike from Good Earth's gonna fight on with the swagger and pride he borrows from you!

that really sucks that Mr. Kelly felt that way (and I am sure for good reason). But if it inspired Michael Jai White, I can't say it was a total loss. Right now, I think the world just needs A superhero. Whoever can step up to the plate, well...I am willing to believe

Does anyone get BOUNCE TV? It is like the BET of national television. They did a great tribute to Kelly on their station tonight. That channel is great. SAturdays have awesome blaxploitation classics, and they really go all out in showing even semi obscure ones (NEVER thought i would see Dolemite on regular television!). Up next after Enter The Dragon is Leon Isaac Kennedy in Penitentiary 3. Look them up on facebook and support them

RIP Jim Kelly.

I remember buying a colorful Bruce Lee vcd boxset afew years ago but never watched any of the movies from that set as I already had the HKL dvds. I just liked the cool look of the packaging. I decided to watch the vcd cantonese version of Enter The Dragon as I had never seen it before. It was funny how they redubbed certain english scenes in cantonese!

RIP Jim Kelly.

I remember buying a colorful Bruce Lee vcd boxset afew years ago but never watched any of the movies from that set as I already had the HKL dvds. I just liked the cool look of the packaging. I decided to watch the vcd cantonese version of Enter The Dragon as I had never seen it before. It was funny how they redubbed certain english scenes in cantonese!

I don't know if I've seen that set. Any chance you'd share a photo of it in the "memorabilia thread" http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18799&highlight=memorabilia so we can see it?

The Black Action film genre had died because of civil rights groups like the NAACP, CORE, people like Jesse Jackson, Roy Innis and Tony Brown. It was the bruised ego of one man named Junius Griffin that put up a hissy fit because he couldn't be a part of that world. These are people that we call "House Negroes". Had it not been for the moral critics of the black community, there would have been more black heroes is film and the film industry as a whole would be more than just Tyler Perry's modern day minstrel shows. I don't know exactly know how or when, but I plan to pick up the Black Action Film genre where the 70s left off. With influences from that world and the world as Asian action cinema.

The Black Action film genre had died because of civil rights groups like the NAACP, CORE, people like Jesse Jackson, Roy Innis and Tony Brown. It was the bruised ego of one man named Junius Griffin that put up a hissy fit because he couldn't be a part of that world. These are people that we call "House Negroes". Had it not been for the moral critics of the black community, there would have been more black heroes is film and the film industry as a whole would be more than just Tyler Perry's modern day minstrel shows. I don't know exactly know how or when, but I plan to pick up the Black Action Film genre where the 70s left off. With influences from that world and the world as Asian action cinema.

I've already started collecting my 70's Black- action cinema.. It's a great way to re-live the renaissance of overall Black cinema.

Black Samson baby!

I've already started collecting my 70's Black- action cinema.. It's a great way to re-live the renaissance of overall Black cinema.

Black Samson baby!

I've collected plenty of classics already. I guarantee you there will be a new wave. Not that Spike Lee/John Singleton bullsh*t.

Jesse, I can't wait to see what you do man. I'm sure that you've got your forum family's support for whatever project you get going.

Thanks Bob! I truly appreciate that. :)

Right now, I'm multitasking. I'm working on the stories, scripts and artwork (as I'll try to do comic book/manhua versions first - to get the stories out and to self finance). As a one man crew, it may take time, but something will hap. :bigsmile:

Jesse...thank you. It is about time people start saying the truth instead of trying to live in a fantasy land or point fingers. I too want to see this happen again. I support you 100%.

4 years ago today we lost an athlete, an actor, and a martial artist named Jim Kelly. There was far more to him than being Bruce Lee's co-star in "Enter the Dragon". Don't miss our feature that celebrates the life and career of this legendary human being...

http://cityonfire.com/jim-kelly-man-you-come-right-out-of-a-comic-book-biography-life-story-filmography-movie-list-best-karate-enter-the-dragon/

jimkelly2.gif

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask but i'm on a Jim Kelly kick at the moment, now IMDB states he was in Mr No Legs, i've just watched this i never spotted him. There is a Jim Kelly mentioned in the end credits but am i safe to assume it's a different Jim Kelly and IMDB is wrong?

52 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask but i'm on a Jim Kelly kick at the moment, now IMDB states he was in Mr No Legs, i've just watched this i never spotted him. There is a Jim Kelly mentioned in the end credits but am i safe to assume it's a different Jim Kelly and IMDB is wrong?

I havent seen the movie, but it could have put on his IMDB filmogrpahy by mistake.

Melinda(1972)

Just watched a short (10 minutes) interesting interview with Jim filmed in 2011 for an extra on the Take A Hard Ride blu ray. He came across as a real nice guy, and very postive about everyone and the movie business in general.

Edited by saltysam

7 hours ago, saltysam said:

Just watched a short (10 minutes) interesting interview with Jim filmed in 2011 for an extra on the Take A Hard Ride blu ray. He came across as a real nice guy, and very postive about everyone and the movie business in general.