I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

mark187

RIP Jim Kelly (1946-2013)

So sad,to lose yet another hero from the Old School MA Movie era.Would love to've seen Jim team up with Ron Van Clief onscreen back in the day.My deepest condolences go out to Jim's loved ones.

This is something I kind of take a little more personally than most other screenfighters/martial artists. By no means am I implying that he was better or worse than any other, I just feel a bit closer to him simply because of his work in the states, and his martial art training (i have a few close friends that were lucky enough to train with him for a substantial amount of time).

All these things mentioned in the previous posts are true. The man brought a sense of "cool" to martial arts that many people identified with or wanted to emulate. Some have argued that his screen fighting abilities were less than standard, but I do feel had he been utilized more, he would have made a much greater impact (fred williamson once told me that Kelly was an amazing athlete, but refused to hone his acting chops, but he seemed not to care). Despite crossing racial boundaries, he gave his own interpretation of martial arts, and really didn't need to say much. The audience could figure that out, black, white, asian, whatever.

What I respect about him the most is that he stayed a martial artist. He progressed with the times and still kept the same values that karate had taught him generations before. To be a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and be pushing 60.....in a time where traditional and progressive arts seemed to be at odds with eachother....that says alot about the man's willingness to become a complete fighter and teacher. I was getting ready to train with some friends in California and head to his academy come August. I am very dissapointed that I did not have a chance to pick the man's brain....not just about cinema, but more importantly the arts in general.

I think it is high time we start documenting what our martial forefathers have done, while they are still with us. We have the means to do it. More so now than ever. I know it sounds cheesy, but think about what we have just lost recently. If the next post reads "Dan Inosanto RIP", well....that would just take the cake.

As for Jim Kelly....as private as a person as he was.....someone should start telling his story. It deserves to be heard.

I will stop posting on this topic I swear.

Kelly was very private about his personal life, so there is not that many interviews and such about him. Despite the whole "RVC vs Kelly" death match that was supposed to happen (yeah right), not much of the dramatic elements of his life are well known. While I don't want to pry in to any of his affairs, does anyone know exactly who gave Jim Kelly his black belt in Jiu jitsu?

ok I broke a promise. sue me.

I just dug out "The Tattoo Connection" with Jim Kelly, Cheng Sing, Bolo Yeung, and Flash Legs Tan. Now this is a classic. Does anyone enjoy this film as much as I do?

Jim Kelly (as in Williams from Enter the Dragon) has passed away guys.

Absolutely gutted. Met him in 1993 - lovely guy.

Don't know the cause.

RIP :sad:

It isn't clear as to how he passed yet, but it was very well known that he was battling cancer. From what I am told, the man was a fitness guru, and was just as impressive now as he was in his 20's. If it is cancer, or complications related to, that is a terrible thought. My heart goes to his family and students.

Besides Bob, has anyone ever met him or care to share stories on here about him? And of course Bob should share his too.

I met him in 1993 in London at a Martial Club gig.

He signed a picture and a video I had with me at the time.

The thing I remember was a guy asking Kelly, during the Q&A session, about a quote he allegedly made in 1974 which suggested he would become bigger than Bruce Lee. Kelly strongly denied it but the the guy asked him again at the autograph stage.

Kelly got pissed, stood up and looked like he was seconds from laying the guy out.

I asked Jim if Lee was responsible for opening his eyes to other forms of combat, other than Karate, which wasn't a bad question considering I was eighteen years old. He said that he'd always appreciated other styles.

Really upset. Didn't know he had cancer so it's a total shock.

Watching ETD right now!

ok I broke a promise. sue me.

I just dug out "The Tattoo Connection" with Jim Kelly, Cheng Sing, Bolo Yeung, and Flash Legs Tan. Now this is a classic. Does anyone enjoy this film as much as I do?

It's one of my favourite of late 70's contemporary MA films & a good cast.

I just bought a bunch of his movies in the past couple of months. Most of them are bad releases but I knew that ahead of time. I just wanted to see his movies. Maybee now someone will release remastered versions of his films. He deserves it.

Just saw this on the jkd brotherhood forum... another one of my teenage heroes gone. It's so sad...and LKL too,,,what a depressing week for MA fans. They both live on in our minds....rip to you both.

WOW! Another Fu screen legend passes within a week! Prayers go to the friends and family of Mr. Black Belt Jones, Jim Kelly. R.I.P.

Jim-Kelly-Kung-Fu-Banner.jpg

Nice collage!

He rocked the COOLEST 'fro ever!