I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

RogueWarrior

RIP Lau Kar Leung (1936-2013)

He was the best director of martial arts, in my opinion, definitely one of the greatest. KUNG FU BOB posted pretty much the message I wanted to post. I liked the philosophy and values he covered in his films as much as the fights. I don't go in for trying to meet famous people but would have been happy to have met him and thanked him for his work. R.I.P.

I woke up yesterday in a good mood after watching the Blackhawks take the cup, when I read the passing my heart sunk, I was really busy yesterday and didn't get a chance to post but I worked in a daze all day, I just reflected back to all the great moments he gave us. Lau Kar Leung was truly an inspiration, I learned a lot from his movies as he strived to make us better people through them, he is someone I'll always look up to for the rest of my life.

Legendary Weapons of China is the movie I want to watch, the end fight with his brother is amazing to watch.

RIP

legendaryweaponsofchinasx9.jpg

Watched SHAOLIN MANTIS last night and will continue the one man film fest throughout the weekend. I think as mentioned in one of the basher threads loooooong ago, it was mentioned that Lau Sifu brought some legitimacy back into kung fu films - since Bruce Lee (well, the modern era, post-Wong Fei Hung films). I think as stated, the basher films had a Karate-ish kind of choreography (which I do like), but Lau Sifu, brought a genuine touch of class to his brand of kung fu.

R.I.P.

62690A4A37EF7D7F875E8F0A96B29.jpg

I watched the 36th Chamber of Shaolin in honour of Pops. I really enjoyed the movie and liked it a lot more than when I last saw it over a decade ago. What struck me was while my recollection of the film is not great, so much seemed new to me. I paused and did a quick search on the length of the VHS I used to own and was gobsmacked how much was cutout, over 20 min !

I checked out a few movies to watch this week in honor of Lau Kar-Leung:

8-Diagram Pole Fighter

36th Chamber of Shaolin

My Young Auntie

The Lady is the Boss

as a bonus, The Dragon Family..Lau Kar-Wing directed this film with Lau Kar-Leung as action director...

I did not know this. I wish we were aware at the time. Would have definitely done the same.

I have been there,its a beautiful place! I went there some years ago to pay my respects to Lau Jaam ,father of LKL.

I did not know this. I wish we were aware at the time. Would have definitely done the same.

I was there several time,but introduced to this place I was by Sin Kwok Lam Sifu (student of pops,producer of the yip man movies).. Denis To was also there...i go there everytime when I visit HK

P1010035.jpg

P1010013.jpg

Rest in peace one of Martial Art Cinemas greatest

I know it seems like people of the golden era are dying all the time but I must say Lau is the greatest to have died in my time of being a fan.

I will watch MAD MONKEY KUNG FU in his honour soon.

I am soo glad many of you are better at putting into words what I am feeling, thanks. . Last nite I watched My Young Auntie, I really loved Lau Sifus character as well the action. Tonite, Mad Monkey Kung Fu. R.I.P Lau Sifu.

It's impossible to over estimate his contribution to the golden era of martial arts cinema, surely one of the single greatest influences. Not only films he directed, but the films he choreographed too, so many genre defining films and classics. Does anyone have a definitive list? I know he was involved in early classics like One Armed Swordsman. Thank you for the films & RIP.

Favourite film, for me, is 8 Diagram Pole Fighter.

Favourite fight scene is tough to pick, but this is surely up there:

By pure coincidence, my copy of the Heroes Two BD arrived today.

What a bitter-sweet experience watching it is.

RIP Lau Kar Leung, Fu Sheng and Linn Haynes.

. Does anyone have a definitive list? I know he was involved in early classics like One Armed Swordsman. Thank you for the films & RIP.

HKMDb or HKCM.

I was there several time,but introduced to this place I was by Sin Kwok Lam Sifu (student of pops,producer of the yip man movies).. Denis To was also there...i go there everytime when I visit HK

Thx for sharing Frank.

Found this photo. Depressing to see.

pofook.jpg

I checked out a few movies to watch this week in honor of Lau Kar-Leung:

8-Diagram Pole Fighter

36th Chamber of Shaolin

My Young Auntie

The Lady is the Boss

as a bonus, The Dragon Family..Lau Kar-Wing directed this film with Lau Kar-Leung as action director...

My Young Auntie is a very good film, and the choreography is excellent; especially when we get to see Pops practicing early on...

Very sad. Executioners from Shaolin was the first Shaw movie I ever saw, on a NY cable station as a kid in the early 80s. It led to a lifelong love of martial arts movies, and it also led to my own interest in studying martial arts, which I still do. Strange that somebody on the other side of the world, from a different culture, can have so much influence in your life. And it was a very positive influence, too. Thanks, LKL.

LKL's wife said the funeral will be held either July 23 or 24th. It will be a mix of Chinese and Western ceremonies and include Chinese martial arts and Hong Kong film. The location of the service will be at the Universal Funeral Parlor in Hung Hom, Kowloon. There was no mention of sending flowers, gifts, etc. but if you go to their site, you can email them for specifics.