I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
Guest the dirty tiger

Wu Tang claptrap

Guest the dirty tiger

OK I dont much care who I offend by saying this. I absolutely, positively, completely and utterly hate the Wu Tang Clan ( as in the hippety hop supposedly musical group from America, I have no problem with the martially artist Wu Tang Sword Sect whom I actually rather like ).

Just wondering, am I alone in my loathing of these people ? Do kung fu fans generally like them and think they actually have some kind of talent, musically or otherwise ?

Whether you agree with me or not, please give your opinions and please let's keep it civil ;) :lol

Guest rdenn

do you like hip hop music then ?, judging by your post doesnt seem that you do, but wu tang for me are hip hop just beats & rhymes simple & plain, although for me ghostface is the most consistent member of the group.

Guest Chen Zhen

wu tang are the mawf*ckin truth!

like rdenn sed, if ur not into hiphop, its easy to see why u wouldnt like them..but for anybody whos been following hiphop as long as i have, most will see how great and respected those guys were.

tho admittedly, i wasnt a huge fan of their last album, but Rza's been steppin up his production game as of late, and all the members appear to be hungry again...hence, im JACKED for the upcoming album, titled 8 Diagrams.

i agree with rdenn, not only is ghost the most consistent member of the group, hes probably hiphop's most consistent mc...every single one of his albums is critically acclaimed which cannot be sed for many other artists.

Guest peringaten

Hate is a strong word my man. Regardless appreciation of that which a genre superficially typifies, presumption of lack of talent is fallible. They appreciate kung, and have spread knowledge of it... and do what they do musically with conviction. Whether you feel it or not.

I don't pay attention to them much myself these days, I have different musical concerns, but there's something to be learnt from all forms of musical expression when the attitude and love for that done is sometimes so convincingly apparent. The second verse here is undeniable.

youtube.com/watch?v=_lkL1BY1p8Y

Guest WHITETIGERNY

Dirty Tiger, as you loathe bootlegs, I would assume you mean the group in reference to kung fu.:rolleyes

As far as KF movies go, then they do suck. Bad quality all around.:(

As for hip-hop, I could not judge them as I do not listen to hip-hop. The little I have heard is not positive, (refering to woman et al in such terms in reprehensible.):o

Don Imus is one thing, degrading yourself is another. Very low self-esteem. Shameless, indeed.

Guest Markgway

I hate it when any individual or group attaches themselves to films made before their time that they had nothing to with, whether it be The Wu Tang Clan or Quentin Tarantino. I have one DVD that has an introduction by one of the Clan and he fails to get thru a 30 sec piece without using coarse language. Very old school I'm sure. I do hate ©rap/hip-hop as it happens, but even if I didn't I'd feel the same. Stick to making noise guys and leave our 'Fu' alone.

Guest rdenn

markgway why do you have a problem with a group that respects and pays homage to kung, i cant see why thats a problem?, when ghostface sampled the dialogue from Savage 5, i thought that was classic, making little references to films that ive always loved, thats all positive to me.

Guest Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee
I hate it when any individual or group attaches themselves to films made before their time that they had nothing to with, whether it be The Wu Tang Clan, Quentin Tarantino, or Kung Fu Fandom.

Co-sign that... dawg. :hat

Guest the dirty tiger

I have no problm with hip hop music itself, although it is not my fave, more of a metal head :) - I just dont like the WTC. Can't explain why, I just find them teribly annoying.

Guest Atomic Mystery Monster
Just wondering, am I alone in my loathing of these people?

No, you're not. Although I'll admit that they have helped popularize martial arts movies, they've also done a great disservice to the genre. How so? They revived the old "blacks are obsessed with martial arts" stereotype and endorsed Ground Zero DVDs (Way to check a company's background, guys).

Come to think of it, did the Weinsteins start altering martial arts movies to have rap soundtracks before or after the Wu Tang Clan arrived on the scene?

If it wasn't for the things I mentioned, I'd just say that their music doesn't really appeal to me. Oh, and I also find it hilariously nerdy that they refer to their old neighborhood as "Shaolin."

Guest dager in the cotton
leave our 'Fu' alone

they have every right to watch and sample and do what they want with "Fu" it's no ours or anybodys, let's not forget the Music in Kung Fu fulms is all nicked,booted samples of Hollywood/European filmsoundtrax. so good on the Wu Tang for brining it full circle.

and how can anyone not like ODB?

Guest Chinatown Kid

I don't care for Rap or Hip Hop and I'm not a Wu Tang fan. I do find their enthusiasum for the Kung Fu movies cool though as it gives us something in common.

Guest jadebadger

WTC's 'Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)', Ol Dirty's 'Return To The 36 Chambers' & Gza's 'Liquid Swords' are absolute hip hop classics, and introduced a lot of kids to a more interesting side of collaborative hip hop. Whether you like em or not, these albums, when Wu-Tang were at the top of their game, are an important part of hip hop culture. As an old kung fu fan, I remember how excited I got when I first heard these, with the samples and references. Unbelievable.

Opinions aside, I'm amazed at how just plain negative people are on this board.

Guest chingdog

I don't like their music at all but it is nice that they promote the genre...we need as many fans as we can get to keep it going.....I mean the fact is that alot of fans are getting into their 40's and 50's and we need some young blood coming in to keep the interest alive and not let the flame die out.

Guest drunkenmantis13
they have every right to watch and sample and do what they want with "Fu" it's no ours or anybodys, let's not forget the Music in Kung Fu fulms is all nicked,booted samples of Hollywood/European filmsoundtrax. so good on the Wu Tang for brining it full circle.

I totally agree with you there. So true.

I mean why couldn't they be fanatical about KF classics as much as any other person on here? They're human just like us, and they like KF just like us. Just happen they're famous rappers that do have talent. So they use that to promote the genre and their love of it. All good with me. Plus when they use samples it's quite cool.

As a matter of fact i found my CD of The W lately and listen to it quite a lot. The 5 venoms intro is awesome. What's more i bought the Afro Samurai soundtrack today, and it's great! Can't wait for 8 Diagrams!

Guest Markgway
markgway why do you have a problem with a group that respects and pays homage to kung, i cant see why thats a problem?

Because as far as I'm concerned they have nothing to do with old school Kung Fu and I don't appreciate their appearences on DVD extras or sleeve art (yes, I'm talking about crappy Ground Zero). Great that they love the movies, I have no problem with that - why should I? But let's not pretend that they have an REAL connection with them. Same goes for all this Quentin Tarantino Presents... nonsense. As I said I don't like hop-hop so reeling off a list of "classics" to me is pointless. It's my opinion and I'm allowed to have it.

Guest rdenn
Because as far as I'm concerned they have nothing to do with old school Kung Fu

and how do you know that then ? if you ever listened to their music and kwow what they have sampled then you would know they are all about old school kung, theres a lot more people into kung than you think but you dont have to go onto a forum to prove that.

Guest teako170

I tend to agree with Markgway but allow me to go a bit further. As far as I see it, its more of an assimilation issue.

Some examples:

Santa Claus and Christmas

Nazis and the Swastika

The film "Jaws" and sharks

The parties of the first embrace the concept of the second and over time, they become representative of that entity. This unfortunately misleads many who are unaware of the true origins of the second. This also creates stereotypes.

Its amazing how many times people hear that I watch this genre of cinema and then find out that I was a graffiti writer in the 70s. Automatically, I'm pigeonholed into the confines of hip-hopocrisy. Its a very daunting stereotype for many early NYC writers who do not embrace or support hip-hop; myself included.

I appreciate anyone who supports kung fu cinema be it rapper or rocker, Wu or QT - just as long as its understood that they are a component of this genre (and not the other way around).

Guest silver hermit

"I hate it when any individual or group attaches themselves to films made before their time that they had nothing to with"

interesting i guess that covers 85% of this board. what a load of buggery.

"I don't like their music at all but it is nice that they promote the genre...we need as many fans as we can get to keep it going.....I mean the fact is that alot of fans are getting into their 40's and 50's and we need some young blood coming in to keep the interest alive and not let the flame die out. "

this is the only non self centered comment in this thread and i 100% agree with this

Guest Markgway
and how do you know that then ? if you ever listened to their music and kwow what they have sampled then you would know they are all about old school kung

I think you misunderstood my post.

I said that there was no real connection between Wu Tang Clan and old school Kung Fu not that they didn't have a right to be fans or rap about them.

When did I suggest that?

interesting i guess that covers 85% of this board. what a load of buggery.

Again maybe I didn't make myself clear. There's nothing wrong with being a fan - we all are here. But Wu Tang Clan shouldn't be associated directly with films they had no original involvement in just because they happen to like them. Otherwise should we all have our pictures on the covers? It's like sponsorship and I don't approve. You guys would be first to complain if the next DVD sleeve for The Young Master has a picture of Brett Ratner on it.

Guest silver hermit

true say, i get what you mean now. but does anyone seriously connect them directly to oldschool films?? if so not any more than any of us. the ground zero endorsments were wrong though lol. on one of those dvds not sure what one i seen rza filming a kung fu movie with robert tai. what was that about? i have never seen that film. was it finished??

but i can see how they would bug a non fan being bombarded with wu.( i would be pissed if duran duran was endorsing boots lol) but that should teach you a lesson for buying bootlegs in the first place.:b

Guest rdenn

well im a fan both hip hop and kung so i have no problem with that marketing that was used to sell them dvd's that rza movie he flew down robert tai and his crew to film his own movie just for himself , sounds like a dream come true thats all i have to say im not really going to argue with anyone who says hip hop is NOISE its like talking to my dad, and dirty tiger you the man from bristol who used to come down to camden stall and i remember you moaning about wu tang then, u sure hold a grudge.:D

Guest the dirty tiger

hehehehe, Rdenn, it's so nice to be remembered. Who are you ? :eek Wish I lived in London so I could have been there more, a couple of times a year just wasnt enough :(